• 121 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by oatz (1103 posts) -

The nanny state strikes again! Enjoy your censorship, boys. 
  

 
 THE UK Government is to combat the early sexualization of children by blocking internet pornography unless parents request it, it was revealed today.

The move is intended to ensure that children are not exposed to sex as a routine by-product of the internet. It follows warnings about the hidden damage being done to children by sex sites.     


http://www.news.com.au/technology/all-internet-porn-will-be-blocked-to-protect-children-under-uk-government-plan/story-e6frfro0-1225973501259     
 
 
 
 
UPDATED: 
 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12041063     


The proposal to cut off access to pornographic material was floated by Culture Minister Ed Vaizey in an interview with the Sunday Times.

The government is talking to ISPs to set up a meeting at which the proposal will be discussed.

But, say experts, technical challenges mean any large scale filtering system is doomed to failure.

   

#2 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -
@oatz said:
by blocking internet pornography unless parents request it,
i haven't been following this story, but what does this mean?
can someone just call their internet provider and say they want porn sites unblocked or something?
#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

deal with it

#4 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@oatz: Haha, wow.
 
Condolences from the mainland, young britons*salute*
#5 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

If you actually read that properly, you'll see its nothing more than a plan- not an existing effect. It won't happen.

#6 Posted by SSully (4169 posts) -

I think its a great idea. Kids do not need to be exposed to that stuff, it will give them a horrible view of women. It is kind of sad because alot of kids are already on that, or atleast i think so, i dont remember say half of the crap i hear little kids say on playstation during call of duty. 

#7 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4714 posts) -

WHAAAAAAAAAT?
 
What am I going to do without my free porn? Fucking scumbag government!
SET FIRE TO THE HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT

#8 Posted by AlisterCat (5537 posts) -

Before I was a teenager, and at the start of my teenage years porn was not super easy to come by. Not like now, you can get anything you want... which is crazy. It's probbably not something the government should be controlling but with the culture of young kids with laptops in their bedrooms I don't think it's something parents can control any more than old school access to porn but the internet can give you anything you want at any time.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

And here I thought they just grew up.  
I guess this is sad for the kids then, having to go out there and get in a healthy relationship like the rest of us. 
Why won't anyone think of the children?!

#10 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@SSully:  You didn't watch porn whenever  you got the chance as kid?  what the hell man.
 
And you know what, porn was much harder to come across before the internet took off. You damn spoiled kids with your computers and your iphones and your playstations can get it in an instant. We had to work hard to acquire the goods back in those days. I'm supporting this, it'll build character >:(
#11 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -

not gonna happen, plus I watched far too much porn as a kid and I turned out alright(ish)

#12 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I don't really see how this is a bad thing. Children probably shouldn't be looking at porn because it can lead to some messed up body image and sexuality-related issues when they get older. The problem is that porn makes up a huge percentage of the internet and it's more or less impossible not to stumble across it. I'm sure everyone remembers whitehouse.com. It sounds like all they're doing is something similar to Google's safe search - just turn it off and you can watch all the porn you want.

#13 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

or, you know, do your fucking job and parent your child without blocking youporn for the rest of us. i don't want to have to "opt-in." 

#14 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" WHAAAAAAAAAT?  What am I going to do without my free porn? Fucking scumbag government! SET FIRE TO THE HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT "
Call this guy
 

#15 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

Hard times for young British men.
 
If you know what I mean...

#16 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" Hard times for young British men.
 
If you know what I mean...
"
hohohoho
#17 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@mnzy: If you have a hard time for more than 4 hours you should consult a doctor.
#18 Posted by leebmx (2238 posts) -

Aint gonna happen folks. This is just another example of the sort of Sunday Paper story which is always a Goverment minister speculating about some policy or other just to see what public reaction will mean. It happens all the time about all sorts of issues.  
  If they tried something like this it would be unworkable. What sort of things would it block? Would it block page 3 girls? - what about "arty" movies like Nine Songs etc. People have very differing ideas about where porn starts. 
 This is just a sad attempt by the Tory party to appeal to right wing Daily Mail types and won't lead to anything in practice.

#19 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

lol UK

#20 Posted by Fallen189 (4989 posts) -

I just tried to download pornography, and it worked. I am British.

#21 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" @mnzy: If you have a hard time for more than 4 hours you should consult a doctor. "
I don't think it would take me 4 hours to realize shit ain't right.
#22 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" I just tried to download pornography, and it worked. I am British. "
lol
#23 Posted by EthanML (455 posts) -

Like every other intenet censorship story people get worked over, it won't actually happen.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

And the Digital Revolution comes to a grinding halt overnight.

#25 Posted by HS21 (2682 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" Hard times for young British men.
 
If you know what I mean...
"
Boom.
#26 Edited by sp1der1976 (59 posts) -

I'm English and believe passionately in freedom of thought and expression. Pornography as far as I'm concerned is a form of expression for both the participants and the end user. English Governments have a long long history of censorship and I personally have loved the fact that the internet has effectively made the state-controlled, politicly motivated censor redundant and impotent.  
 
This plan, if agreed by the ISP's is the 1st slip down a very very steep slope leading to total state censorship of the internet, China-style.  I am very fearful of the state, especially a Tory state, meddling in the personal choices available to the 'unwashed masses' as they have a history of taking the most hard-line 'BAN EVERYTHING' approach. 
 
I personally believe the Gov should concentrate on making the lives of those of us hit hardest by the recession better, not trying to stamp down on our personal liberties.

#27 Posted by dudeglove (7771 posts) -

I am 12 and what is this?

#28 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -
#29 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" I just tried to download pornography, and it worked. I am British. "
After running a quick experiment, I too can confirm that all is well.
#30 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" I just tried to download pornography, and it worked. I am British. "
lol "
Did the pornography work too?
#31 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I don't see what's wrong with banning children from watching porn. And for the adults that are getting annoyed by it, is it that hard to just go out and meet people these days? Plus you can opt-in or whatever and then there are those magazines and TV channels! It ain't so bad!

#32 Posted by Andorski (5287 posts) -

Have real sex. 
 
Problem solved.

#33 Posted by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

" Instead of using parental controls to stop access to pornography - so-called "opting out" - the tap will be turned off at source. Adults will then have to 'opt in.'" 
 
Why be a real parent when someone else will babysit for free?

#34 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -
@Erzs said:
" I don't see what's wrong with banning children from watching porn. And for the adults that are getting annoyed by it, is it that hard to just go out and meet people these days? Plus you can opt-in or whatever and then there are those magazines and TV channels! It ain't so bad! "
It's called censorship. Even though this may not be nation-breaking, the attitude you have towards it is just encouraging it. Who knows what they'll censor next?
#35 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

I would play United Kingdom Bros, the british sequel to Super Mario Bros.

#36 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@oatz said:
" @Erzs said:
" I don't see what's wrong with banning children from watching porn. And for the adults that are getting annoyed by it, is it that hard to just go out and meet people these days? Plus you can opt-in or whatever and then there are those magazines and TV channels! It ain't so bad! "
It's called censorship. Even though this may not be nation-breaking, the attitude you have towards it is just encouraging it. Who knows what they'll censor next? "
Yeah that's right! What gives that the government can censor me from my hate speech?! 
 
Banning porn sounds almost impossible and laughable. Even with a censored state like China there's some loopholes that the locales can work around to getting information.
#37 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@Toms115 said:
" or, you know, do your fucking job and parent your child without blocking youporn for the rest of us. i don't want to have to "opt-in."  "
#38 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @oatz said:
" @Erzs said:
" I don't see what's wrong with banning children from watching porn. And for the adults that are getting annoyed by it, is it that hard to just go out and meet people these days? Plus you can opt-in or whatever and then there are those magazines and TV channels! It ain't so bad! "
It's called censorship. Even though this may not be nation-breaking, the attitude you have towards it is just encouraging it. Who knows what they'll censor next? "
Yeah that's right! What gives that the government can censor me from my hate speech?!  Banning porn sounds almost impossible and laughable. Even with a censored state like China there's some loopholes that the locales can work around to getting information. "
Banning hate speech and entertainment are two entirely different things and shouldn't even be compared.
#39 Posted by Fluxxed (81 posts) -

I like how you twist words to make it seem like it has already happened.

#40 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Even if this does come out, a 13-year old is going to find a way around it in less than 5 minutes. 

#41 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

 @oatz:  As an adult you can opt-in or have 18+ allowed in your home. That is not necessarily censorship to the nation, it's protection of minors. It is not saying porn is banned to all in the UK! And yes, maybe my opinion on it being not ground shattering, or negative may encourage it. But I'm an adult, I have sex, I can view porn if I wish regardless of this being voted in. To me it makes no difference. But for people with kids, maybe it will. And for people who have kids and don't mind them viewing porn, they are still allowed as they can opt in. The government aren't restricting anyone, they are giving options.

#42 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

loltheythinktheyregonnabanporn 
 
 
 
Nope.jpg

#43 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

The UK is slowly turning into the US government. Where everyone would rather have the government be the parent of their children.

#44 Posted by BABS (75 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" WHAAAAAAAAAT?  What am I going to do without my free porn? Fucking scumbag government! SET FIRE TO THE HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT "
Call this guy
 

"
Ha, clever!  I never thought I'd see the day when Alan Moore's masterpiece would be used as a symbol to "let them watch porn" 
#45 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well it sounds like a good plan. what are the older teens going to get their porn now? mom i want you to call up request porn to be unlocked.

#46 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

This is socialism at its worst 
I wish just for once we could have a conservative party in charge

#47 Posted by FizzleNizzleBear (335 posts) -
@hicks91 said:
" This is socialism at its worst "
What?
#48 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I just streamed some porn and a MI6 agent kicked my door down and killed me shortly after.

#49 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -
@FizzleNizzleBear: Socialism - "  Socialism is an economic and political theory advocating public or common ownership " 
eg the state is in control of as much as possible, and individuals second. It dilutes self responsibility and makes the governments matter to deal with everything
#50 Posted by iKANNIBAL (601 posts) -

Wouldn't that be a little hypocritical of UK though? i mean they have TV shows on public television that show dicks and such and they have films with full on real sex!