#151 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CL60 said:

And look at that. He can't answer.(No surprise.)

He can; he just chose not to, mainly because you devolved into typical Internet debate bullshit.

How so? He simply ignores all my points and tells me they need to be paid, when literally nothing I'm saying means the staff wont get paid, and he wont tell me what exactly he's trying to say.

#152 Posted by Marokai (3139 posts) -
@Dagbiker: I quoted a paid member. So if I was calling every single one of them elitist, I'm blind. I'm just tired of this kneejerk response of "Don't like it? Pay money!" Every single person knows that here, it's not the issue. And is it not an internet standard at this point? What other site that places this much emphasis on video content actually charges you for a higher resolution? It's absurd. There's a million other reasons to subscribe besides HD, and the refusal to provide that (at no cost to them) is a bizarre and pointless response.
#153 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@CL60

Perhaps it's because you're being an overly confrontational asshole. Trust me; I know it when I see it, and I see it.
#154 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CL60:

Perhaps it's because you're being an overly confrontational asshole. Trust me; I know it when I see it, and I see it.

I only started acting like that when he started telling me to deal with it unless I pay them. >.> Which is just a ridiculous response.

#155 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@CL60

That's it, sweety. Try to justify your dickish behavior by blaming it on the opposition. That's how you win an Internet argument.
#156 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CL60: That's it, sweety. Try to justify your dickish behavior by blaming it on the opposition. That's how you win an Internet argument.

Fuck it, I'm done with this website until the subscribers can learn to take their heads out of their asses and actually listen to whats being said rather than tell us to deal with it or pay.

#157 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@CL60

You're doing it again. Try to be level-headed about the situation. (Then again, perhaps it wasn't the brightest idea to respond to you with biting sarcasm. Through text.)
#158 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Marokai said:

@Dagbiker: I quoted a paid member. So if I was calling every single one of them elitist, I'm blind. I'm just tired of this kneejerk response of "Don't like it? Pay money!" Every single person knows that here, it's not the issue. And is it not an internet standard at this point? What other site that places this much emphasis on video content actually charges you for a higher resolution? It's absurd. There's a million other reasons to subscribe besides HD, and the refusal to provide that (at no cost to them) is a bizarre and pointless response.

They haven't refused anything, they haven't provided HD yet, and i doubt they will, but they have yet to speak out at all about this. And there is no standard for video, and i agree that it would be great, in a perfect world, to have HD content, on site, and free. but they cant do that, HD content is very bandwidth intensive. Personally i believe they could upload the videos at 480p, and i doubt they will upload it in HD.

#159 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

The idea that GiantBomb's free content should not be held to some sort of standard is a ridiculous fallacy, and the notion of "pay or shutup," that is ubiquitous 'round these parts is tired and untrue.

In before, "Yo bro, if you don't like it just give 'em $5 a month. People like, have to eat bro. DUH."

I wouldn't be surprised if GiantBomb fanboys defend a decision to reduce video resolution for non subscribers to 240p and play a ten minute add in front of every video in which a boxing glove comes out of the screen and punches you in the face. I mean, hey, if you don't like, just subscribe, amirite?

#160 Posted by chrismafuchris (1080 posts) -

If feeloader content was already in HD, what would be there for premium users? Personally, Jar Time With Jeff is enough for me, but HD makes it so much easier to justify,

#161 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@CL60: That's it, sweety. Try to justify your dickish behavior by blaming it on the opposition. That's how you win an Internet argument.

Fuck it, I'm done with this website until the subscribers can learn to take their heads out of their asses and actually listen to whats being said rather than tell us to deal with it or pay.

Don't let the attitudes of a few put you off for good.

I agree with you - this site gains nothing by posting videos on youtube at 360p. It may save bandwidth by forcing non-subscribors to watch the content there instead but, when you're competing with sites like IGN, Gamespot and GT, which all have 720p videos for free, it seems like a completely idiotic move.

#162 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Vitor

Judging by his profile page, it looks like he did. I know it's a bit late, but let me say this: I haven't really taken a stance on the issue (mainly because I don't really watch a lot of the videos). I was just calling him out for dipping into Internet asshole debate tactics (which I fear I'm dipping into, whether by virtue of this thread, or just by looking back on the situation).
#163 Edited by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

If feeloader content was already in HD, what would be there for premium users? Personally, Jar Time With Jeff is enough for me, but HD makes it so much easier to justify,

Which is part of the problem. Giantbomb shouldn't have to restrict higher resolution to entice potential subscribers. I mean, if you take sound out of videos and make it only available to subscribers suddenly a subscription looks a lot better. But, in 2011, is treating sound as a premium feature really a smart thing to do? If GB is hosting via Youtube now, why not show at least 480p? I like GB, and I get what they do, but maybe a 360p Youtube video makes the site look a little amateurish to new visitors. Giantbomb is better than that. Many sites offer better resolution for free. I hope GB can offer more to subscribers than an HD video and a mobile site. I believe this year they have. Vinny fixing stuff, Lantern Runs, Breaking Brad, Red Phone, Jar Time with Jeff, Random PC game, Load our last save, radio show, ect. Putting higher resolution and a mobile site behind a pay wall made more sense when whiskey wasn't offering the amount of content they have now, but at this point it just makes them look crippled against their competitors. And really, I don't see anyone who has subscribed saying "Oh snap, I'm out now," if GB puts up Youtube videos in 480 or 720, and I don't see anyone who is thinking about subscribing saying, "Oh snap, no reason to sign up now," if they were to bump up resolution to 480. What I do see is new visitors coming to a place that has video content that is as technically excellent as it's personalities and their commentary are enlightening.

#164 Posted by CrimsonNoir (403 posts) -

I think GB is screwing up a real opportunity to get a big Youtube following by having such low quality uploads. Some people say that the content will win them over, but that's not going to happen if people wont give it a chance cause it's so low res. And as it was mentioned before, there's no reason to have game trailers in only 360p. It just drives me and others away from GB's channel (where they can actually make money) to another Youtube partner's page cause they have it in HD.

#165 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

I don’t really see much of a difference to be honest.

I watch the video's for the silly comments primarily, not to judge the video quality of the games.

I am guessing that they need to make money first before they can expand and give HD to all.

#166 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

@CrimsonNoir said:

I think GB is screwing up a real opportunity to get a big Youtube following by having such low quality uploads. Some people say that the content will win them over, but that's not going to happen if people wont give it a chance cause it's so low res. And as it was mentioned before, there's no reason to have game trailers in only 360p. It just drives me and others away from GB's channel (where they can actually make money) to another Youtube partner's page cause they have it in HD.

Totally agreed. Frankly, a lot of what people have said here is right - 720p is pretty much the base standard these days for video quality and GB is shooting themselves in the foot by not giving that to everyone. The HD video isn't that important to me as a paying subscriber and I would hardly mind.

@Video_Game_King said:

@Vitor: Judging by his profile page, it looks like he did. I know it's a bit late, but let me say this: I haven't really taken a stance on the issue (mainly because I don't really watch a lot of the videos). I was just calling him out for dipping into Internet asshole debate tactics (which I fear I'm dipping into, whether by virtue of this thread, or just by looking back on the situation).

Well that sucks. I've seen him around a lot and he's never been all that aggressive in the posts I've come across previously. Hopefully everyone will just chill out and forget about this. Today's internet debate ages faster than yesterday's newspaper.

#167 Edited by Octaslash (574 posts) -
@CL60 said: 

Fuck it, I'm done with this website

No, this website is done with you!  

I find it strange that have enough time to post almost 15,000 times, but you haven't subscribed.
#168 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@CrimsonNoir said:

If people care that much about quality thats their loss. Im not that picky. Some videos look worse than other do true, but if someone cares that much to be put off by videos in 360p then I'd rather not see that dick around these forums.

#169 Posted by Obinice (275 posts) -
@President_Barackbar

They could at least bump it up to 480p, but I think HD should remain a subscriber only feature.

I agree.
#170 Posted by Box3ru13 (709 posts) -

Does the video quality suck as of late? Sure. That's why I paid for a subscription. Its flipping five bucks a month, and not that BS its only 5 bucks a month but you pay it all at once. Its actually 5 a month. That isn't hard by any means. There is absolutely nobody on here that can't afford that. IF you can afford a computer and internet than you can pay.

If GB is really the shit to you, then you should probably be supporting it anyway. There is no reason not to subscribe and every reason too. They should probably figure out a way to make it look a bit nicer, but 2 years ago I put my money down for HD video and Happy Hour.

Happy Hour is gone but I have HD video still. Next people will be bitching that you can't download everything as well once HD goes free-for-all. There is no pleasing some people.

#171 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Twilight: @MattyFTM:

I think of it this way. Now we don't have to watch ONE GOD DAMN AD for each video, Giantbomb still gets revenue stream from ads (assuming they set that up with Youtube), and they get a drop in bandwidth costs.

#172 Posted by MostlyBearded (190 posts) -

I personally have no problem with 360p video, but that's because I've got a small data cap and two room-mates to share that with.

#173 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

If the extra lines of resolution mean that much, pay for a membership. Also while the videos may be the prominent reason for visiting this site; most people really care about their audio and the experience the crew has with the game. Pony up the 4 bucks and change a month for the year or don't complain.

@Rattle618 said:

This generation is not spoiled, not one bit.

I remember having to ask permission to use the phone line for an hour or two to dial in! Oh kids these days!

#174 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2100 posts) -

@uomoartificiale: I get what you're saying and I totally support your push for higher quality. If you look at my earlier post I explicitly said that I would support full HD videos on youtube.

I also believe that the "just pay for it" argument is bullshit and I never even hinted that I thought like this.

The screenshots are meant to show that the quality that non-subscribers get with the old player is nearly identical to the youtube version. I would like to add that the youtube version does seem to fluctuate between lower and better quality, and I took several sceenshots and chose the one with the worst quality for youtube. The name is quite blurry on both players but I am only able the make out the first part on both versions anyway. If you look at the screen as a whole they do look very similar in my opinion. In the end it does come down to opinion, and I guess most people here can tell a difference. I can't personally.

#175 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Does 360p really look bad or something?

#176 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I'm just kinda genuinely surprised people care. If you want to see the games in HD, go play the game. The content of the video is what draws attention anyway, not the resolution.

#177 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

The videos look noticeably shittier. The difference was significant enough that I noticed it without looking for it; I don't pay much attention to player trappings, so I did not notice the Youtube switch until after I started looking for an explanation for the quality dip. I'm not terribly up on video diagnostics, so I can't say if the problem is the resolution, a different compression method/format, different capture hardware, or something else entirely, but it's rather stark. Poor image quality with frequent flashing, smearing, and pixellation had not been an issue previously.

While this may not matter when one is watching a staff video solely to hear the commentary, it matters quite a bit for those of us who don't browse the site frequently without a purpose. Often, I end up visiting the site to see a trailer or check out the visuals and performance of a potential purchase in a Quick Look. While not HD, the "High" quality setting on the previous player was typically adequate for my needs. I come with a purpose and, while I'm here, I'll browse to see what else has been added lately; I look at several more pages, and the potential for ad exposure increases. If the video quality hosted here is going to suck, I'll go elsewhere for trailers and non-promotional gameplay footage. Giant Bomb would lose the hits I provide when I browse after fulfilling a specific purpose.

I, along with many users, don't often check the site out of the blue to see if there's anything interesting. Some of the content is decent enough to keep me on the site for a good stretch, but it's usually a specific desire to get an accurate look at a game (including visuals) that gets me in the door in the first place. Having substandard video quality will drive many if not most of the site's visitors elsewhere for trailers and the like; it'd be the internet equivalent of eliminating window shoppers. People tend to forget that the dedicated user-base of people who check the site unprompted are a relatively small portion of visitors.

#178 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@DrBendo: Didn't you make some speech a while back that your hits were meaningless and that's why you'll never stop using Adblock? Consistency!

#179 Posted by Legend (2661 posts) -

HD videos for everyone!!

#180 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Octaslash said:

@CL60 said:

Fuck it, I'm done with this website

No, this website is done with you!

I find it strange that have enough time to post almost 15,000 times, but you haven't subscribed.

What does post count have to do with anything? I like the website and all, it's a well designed and attractive site to use. (even the if editor sucks balls)

That doesn't mean I want to continue subscribing, it seems to me the real benefit of subscribing is if you really want all that behind the scenes and extra time with the Whiskey Media staff.

Personally I hear from the staff enough from the Bombcast and This Is Only a Test. I don't need more so I'm not subscribing, it's all well and good saying "Pay to support them" but there's plenty of great sites that I enjoy using yet I don't give them any money either.

Besides if I'm going to give money to a website it would be something incredibly useful and helpful like Lang-8, not spending money to watch Jeff talk with a jar.

Edit: When it comes down to it I don't think the subscription is worth it, just that simple. It's incredibly hard to sell me on paying money for a website when so many other websites put out a host of content for free, sure you can argue that the content isn't as good but that doesn't mean the content isn't there. I enjoy watching Total Biscuits videos and HuskyStarCraft commentate StarCraft II, I'm getting that in 1080P for free.

and I echo what else has been said in here, 360P is a joke. It's nearly 2012. (and I've said that already, sorry)

#181 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -

@Box3ru13 said:

Does the video quality suck as of late? Sure. That's why I paid for a subscription. Its flipping five bucks a month, and not that BS its only 5 bucks a month but you pay it all at once. Its actually 5 a month. That isn't hard by any means. There is absolutely nobody on here that can't afford that. IF you can afford a computer and internet than you can pay.

Literally anything that costs five dollars is worth more than a subscription to a website. Kinda hard to make that argument.

#182 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@CL60 said:

GiantBomb fanboys will defend any of their decisions. Their defense? "DEAL WITH IT OR GIVE THEM MONEY!!" No.. this is the year 2011, and free users are being forced to watch GiantBomb videos off site, in 360p. It would be understandable if the videos were still on this site, and they had to pay for the bandwidth, but they aren't. They're on youtube, and the videos are still in the abysmal quality of 360p. At the very least it should be 480p if not HD. 360p is just sad.

I love the site, but I'm not going to sit here and defend that.

There's nothing to defend. People who work need to get paid. It's really that simple.

I fail to see how putting their youtube videos in something higher than the shitfest of 360p = they don't get paid.

Yes, you do do fail to see it, I agree. You seem to think that GB owes you something. You seem to think that their time isn't worth your money. You're getting free content and you're complaining.

So you're not going to answer? And instead make shit up in an attempt to make me look bad? Please, tell me. How exactly are they gaining money by uploading their youtube videos in the god awful quality of 360p? If you can't answer that simple question logically, I'm done speaking to you. Because all you are is a fanboy who will defend everything the staff do no matter what.

I agree with you as well, and I pay money for the site. They won't be hosting the videos anymore and they'll get YouTube ads if they become partners (which may have already happened).

#183 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

@Vitor said:

@CL60 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Don't let the attitudes of a few put you off for good.

I agree with you - this site gains nothing by posting videos on youtube at 360p. It may save bandwidth by forcing non-subscribors to watch the content there instead but, when you're competing with sites like IGN, Gamespot and GT, which all have 720p videos for free, it seems like a completely idiotic move.

I'd rather it just force every user to YouTube to be honest. The video player is much better, doesn't freeze, and they'll get more ads because everyone will be there. Win win.

#184 Edited by Box3ru13 (709 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

@Box3ru13 said:

Literally anything that costs five dollars is worth more than a subscription to a website. Kinda hard to make that argument.

Not really. Not all things are created equal. If people like the content of the website (which basically means you enjoy the staff's take on how they handle the content) you should probably pony up and pay. Its not hard to make at all. $5 is a drop in the bucket. I'd say everybody here has spent $5 on something that either didn't pan out, work the way they wanted it too, or had regret about later. But we all said, "fuck it, its just five bucks" and moved on with our lives.

With GB we have the certainty that the content is going to be good (we all visit the site regularly, yes? They must be doing something right) and if not, then oh well, that's one trip to Wendy's you won't make or one coffee from starbucks you'll do without.

Not a big gamble in the slightest.

Furthermore, after talking to Ryan and Jeff again @ PAX I got the idea that making money is something they aren't exactly doing in large amounts. How many users have Adblock? Non-subscribers outnumber subs considerably. And not to mention all the back-end stuff they have to take care to keep this site running.

By all means, if you don't feel its not worth it then don't pay. But I'm not going to exactly feel sorry for anybody because they are missing out on some extra lines of resolution either when the people who are making the content aren't wiping their asses with $100 bills, and have the extra pleasure of trying to please the most sensitive, finicky, entitled, audience in all of media.

"No tickee, no laundry"

#185 Posted by Capt_Ventris (597 posts) -

@DjCmeP said:

@Shaunage said:

Like the site? Pay for it.

Pay for it

#186 Posted by konig_kei (668 posts) -

50 bucks is half of what i pay for a single game and games don't offer half the amount of entertainment i get from Whiskey Media. Plus free t-shirt! (minus postage of course)

#187 Posted by zels (207 posts) -

@Box3ru13: I feel that the point that everyone is trying to make is that by not uploading their videos in 720p they are only hurting themselves at this stage. 720p is the standard on youtube to anyone who is half serious about what they're doing (video-games-wise) and while it was justifiable for them to have it restricted while they had to deal with the bandwidth themselves, now it just looks like a knee-jerk money grabbing move that IS GOING TO TURN PEOPLE AWAY from the site, not make them sub.

If they were reasonable about this whole thing, they would look to offer the videos in 720p, become youtube partners (ad revenue), offer ad-free vids through the website for all those who subbed and upload free "samples" of the premium content on youtube to try to gain more subscriptions.

#188 Posted by DrBendo (240 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow:

I have no idea. I don't take the forums or discussions here too seriously, so I don't keep a good memory of my activities on the site. For example, I assume that we've spoken before, but I've no clue who you are, what your disposition is, or what sides you may take on what issues. You could be confusing me with someone else, or your life is sufficiently empty for you to examine the history of everyone to whom you reply, but I assume neither. While I don't know if I made that claim or whether there was specific context, I have used ad blockers and realize that the practice is of too little consequence to be an issue on an individual level.

The two positions, however, are not mutually exclusive. There might be an initial impression of dissonance, but that fades upon anything but the most superficial examination. One case, the individual blocking of ads, is a personal choice based on cost and benefit analysis. The existence and use of ad blockers in general has a negative effect for this or any website, but they unavoidably exist and are used. Given this, the individual use is hardly a drop in the bucket; whether I, as one person, choose to block ads or not has no significant bearing on Whiskey Media's revenue. Neither a single user who starts blocking ads nor a single user who stops would be noticed. This case, though, is an acknowledgement that the Youtube quality has the potential to drastically reduce site hits and subsequent revenue. It is no longer an individual choice; it is a policy that will affect many. I am surely not the only person to whom my statements apply.

Whiskey Media wants to make money. They cannot control my personal choice regarding ad blockers, and my choice has no meaningful consequences; it is a potential loss about which they can do nothing. They can, however, control their choices. Losing trailer views to other websites and missing the traffic that comes from them is a higher loss about which they have full control. If their choice, like mine, only affected a single user and negligible loss, then it wouldn't matter. However, their choice is not like mine; it is likely to affect many users and considerable loss.

The two positions are both related to ad hits, but that's where similarities end. The ability, scale, agency, and perspective are all quite different. If Whiskey Media wants to increase ad hits, then they should do what is in their power to facilitate them. The personal choice of an individual user is not within their power.

#189 Edited by Athadam (704 posts) -

Here's the problem that I see right now.

Giantbomb needs money and an extra incentive for people to subscribe, but they are also losing viewers who may opt out of viewing the website in total because of the lack of HD content in an era where video game content is so readily available in HD. Somewhere there must be a compromise in which both parties can be happy.

I think that we as a community can come together and fix this problem because eventually this thread will be noticed by the GB staff, if it hasn't been already. And of course, I'm pretty sure that if you are reading this, you'd want Giantbomb to prosper and for the guys to keep producing content that we all love so much. So we need to come up with a solution to fix this dilemma.

Any ideas?

#190 Posted by Athadam (704 posts) -

By the way, although this thread has shown the worst sides of the community and the bickering among members, many of the comments have made me realize how valuable and enjoyable Giantbomb really is.

So officially as of now, I am going to pay for a yearly subscription! I'm very excited to join in on the subscriber bonuses and to support the Giantbomb staff!

#191 Posted by Legxend (122 posts) -

I don't mind 360p videos but 360 videos on youtube at times look terrible, I prefered the old player they were using.

#192 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Has there been any news on this from Whiskey Media? People seem to be complaining a lot so I'm interested to hear what they have to say. (I personally don't mind but it would be nice to hear from them).

#193 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -

@Box3ru13 said:

@gladspooky said:

@Box3ru13 said:

Not really. Not all things are created equal. If people like the content of the website (which basically means you enjoy the staff's take on how they handle the content) you should probably pony up and pay. Its not hard to make at all. $5 is a drop in the bucket. I'd say everybody here has spent $5 on something that either didn't pan out, work the way they wanted it too, or had regret about later. But we all said, "fuck it, its just five bucks" and moved on with our lives.

With GB we have the certainty that the content is going to be good (we all visit the site regularly, yes? They must be doing something right) and if not, then oh well, that's one trip to Wendy's you won't make or one coffee from starbucks you'll do without.

Furthermore, after talking to Ryan and Jeff again @ PAX I got the idea that making money is something they aren't exactly doing in large amounts. How many users have Adblock? Non-subscribers outnumber subs considerably. And not to mention all the back-end stuff they have to take care to keep this site running.

By all means, if you don't feel its not worth it then don't pay. But I'm not going to exactly feel sorry for anybody because they are missing out on some extra lines of resolution either when the people who are making the content aren't wiping their asses with $100 bills, and have the extra pleasure of trying to please the most sensitive, finicky, entitled, audience in all of media.

"No tickee, no laundry"

LOL. Next they're going to make all their web pages blurred out with jpeg artifacts and let only subscribers be able to read it, and everyone will be like, "Just pay if you want to read it, it's only five bucks!"

Meanwhile all those new visitors who are supposed to buy subscriptions will be like, "What?"

#194 Posted by Moreau_MD (401 posts) -

@SimonM7 said:

It's hardly a demand when it's about keeping the quality *the same as before*. Jeff has gone on and on about how they don't want to gate people off, but rather offer incentives to pay. Well this is exactly the kind of rug pulling he was specifically saying they wouldn't do.

The hilarious thing is how unfavourably it compares to actual youtube content. Every day users pump out similar quick looks at 720p or above on youtube without asking a penny for it, because that's literally a standard feature of that site. So here we're downgraded from the site's baseline quality as the content is moved OFF of GB servers onto a completely different site whose content is more or less always twice the resolution.

And it's not even about 720p, it's about how QLs now all look like garbage compared to before. With the Whiskey Media player the low resolution content was saved by great - or low - compression. Now even TRAILERS FOR VIDEO GAMES, hosted ENTIRELY BY YOUTUBE, containing absolutely ZERO GB CONTENT are streamed on this site as 360p compressed artifact orgies. Of course the funny tangental thing is that you can go to youtube and a different channel on there to see it in 1080p if you want.

I love this site, I love the content it produces and I love the staff, but this is hard to interpret as anything but a backhanded way of sticking non-paying members with basically *the worst quality gaming related videos on the internet* while maintaining that no content has been gated off.

This. I don't expect this kind of under-handed practice when I come to giantbomb. I'm sorry, really I am because I've loved this site for ages now, but this latest move is just exactly that- UNDER-HANDED. This is what happens when you introduce money into the equation, it makes businesses greedy. Sort it out Jeff, sort it out.

#195 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Has there been any news on this from Whiskey Media? People seem to be complaining a lot so I'm interested to hear what they have to say. (I personally don't mind but it would be nice to hear from them).

Well on another thread, ZombiePie stated that the staff are prepping for future trailers that they upload will be in all available resolutions on the youtube player and are considering upping the quality a bit for the SD uploads of their own made content apparently. Apart from that I've no idea myself.

#196 Posted by Daiphyer (1350 posts) -

So much for "existing features will never go subscribers only". Hypocrites.

#197 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Gearhead said:

As a paying member, I agree with this non-paying member's sentiments. Up it Whiskey Media.

#198 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

I really hope the staff notice this read. A lot of valid points have been made and I would like to hear them explaining what is going on.

#199 Posted by Moreau_MD (401 posts) -

LET MY 720P GO! ...sorry I just finished watching Prince of Egypt, had to be done.

#200 Posted by Box3ru13 (709 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

@Box3ru13 said:

@gladspooky said:

@Box3ru13 said:

"No tickee, no laundry"

LOL. Next they're going to make all their web pages blurred out with jpeg artifacts and let only subscribers be able to read it, and everyone will be like, "Just pay if you want to read it, it's only five bucks!"

Meanwhile all those new visitors who are supposed to buy subscriptions will be like, "What?"

Because that's what I'm clearly advocating...

Aside from that strawman: I guess what I'm trying to say is that quite a number of us aren't going to give a shit about what users who don't pay into the system aren't getting in return for just showing up. Again if you guys love the site so much and want to see the content with however many P's you want- there are options for you besides bitching about it on the forums.

Do you really think that they haven't weighed the pros and cons, and said fuck the vocal minority that is going to bitch about it no matter what because not everything is free.

Its the exact same thing that happened when Random PC game first launched with no Premium tag, once people saw you had to pay to see it, motherfuckers started losing their goddamn mind.

"I thought QLs weren't going to be premium", "Its stupid that there is premium videos", "Why can't I watch archives of the live-streams? It should be free!" Its not going to stop because there are members who will always want to freeload because they feel they shouldn't have to pay for it. No content that was free has changed in an effort to not piss off people who somehow think that $5 a month is some ridiculous notion.

If new visitors see the site and all the content on it and how insightful, funny, and fresh it is they'll want to subscribe and if they are so turned off by 360p than boo-hoo, those people would've probably never signed up anyway.