Non US Giant Bomb duders - what do you miss about the US?

• 107 results
pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By pickassoreborn

Hello, hello! My last visit to the United States was truly a wonderful thing - I ended up marrying my long-time girlfriend, Along the way I sampled many of the delights which the US has to offer. I'm back here in the UK for the moment and I dearly miss a huge chunk of them - here are a few. (Warning - contains several related Twitpic images)

• Slurpees
  • Root Beer (Although I have access to suppliers now)
  • Brightly-coloured, marshmallow-infused cereals - the UK has the dreariest cereal aisle known to man, woman and child.
  • More than one flavour of Pop Tarts - I witnessed with my own eyes a whole section of Pop Tart goodness.
  • Pancake breakfasts - cheap maple syrup too. Maple Syrup in the UK is extortionately priced.
  • Tide - my missus misses that too.
  • "Having someone else bag your damn groceries". Hmm, she's getting involved a bit more now.
  • Toll booths.
  • Dunkin' Donuts. I tried to enjoy more than one of those tasty donuts, a cockroach got to the rest first. Grrrr.
  • "New episodes of television shows." Although there's this thing called "the internet" which fixes that problem.
  • Cheap videogames. Videogames which cost a reasonable amount of money?
  • All things Disney. Especially this.
  • "Places where you can get everything in one place."
  • I miss Target too. That store has the most amazing interior design and signage. Speaking of which...
  • Halloween Stores. The ones which open up temporarily and give me delights and scares. I would love to get a US house so I can ridiculously decorate it in Halloween interactivity.
  • "Taco Bell" (said in a whisper in the darkness behind me)
  • Butterfingers.
  • The missus is also confused as to why we celebrate Easter with large chocolate eggs instead of large chocolate bunnies.
  • "Medium hot water. Not two seperate faucets. What the hell is that about?"
  • Yellow School Buses. I swear I freaked out when I saw one - I only ever see them in US dramas and comedies.
  • "Dishwasher."
  • Huge American flags everywhere, fluttering in the optimistic breeze. Like this one.
  • Oh, and this.

Anyone else with any stuff they miss about the glorious US of A?
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

You need to go to Universal Studios: Islands of Adventure whenever you return.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrickRoad

The weather. The weather was great when I was in the US. That and being able to visit NASA. The US is a great country, I really enjoyed my time there, but I don't miss anything really, other than what I just stated. You can certainly get chocolate bunnies in the UK. At easter...they're everywhere. Something I miss about the UK when I was in the US was the countryside. The UK is a mostly green and beautiful country. I'm sure parts of the US are the same, though, just not where I was.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i love the shit America produces, but im never laying a foot on that godforsaken country's soil.. you cant get me to do it even if you pay me

so i wont be there to miss anything
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FourWude
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i love the shit America produces, but im never laying a foot on that godforsaken country's soil.. you cant get me to do it even if you pay me

"

You live in Israel, so you're already living on the 51st State of the United States. 

OH NO HE DIDN'T!! 

*shit storm brewing in 3...2...*

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

Can't really think of anything. I lived in the states for 4-5 months a few years back, and there really wasn't anything special about the place that I couldn't get back home in Canada. Unless you count the amazing amount of continuously rude/terrified people. Man was walking around that place an experience. Every single person looked at you like you were about to pull out a gun and rape them on the spot if you so much as glanced in their general direction, let alone having the audacity to say hello or to wave at them as you passed by.

There was this one weird brand of chips I love, but can never find here. They are like cheesies in a long rectangle shape, but they have a bit more of a crunch to them then cheesies do. I can never think of the name of them. It has some generic looking cartoon guy on the front with a weird old style hat iirc.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeeGee
@pickassoreborn said:
  • Slurpees
  • More than one flavour of Pop Tarts - I witnessed with my own eyes a whole section of Pop Tart goodness.
  • "New episodes of television shows." Although there's this thing called "the internet" which fixes that problem.
  • Halloween Stores. The ones which open up temporarily and give me delights and scares. I would love to get a US house so I can ridiculously decorate it in Halloween interactivity.
 Man, I live in the UK and these things confuse me, since we have all these? :S
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

The prices.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

Starbucks. Swedenis like the only country in the world without one.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar
@pickassoreborn said:

• Toll booths.

Care to explain this one?
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:
" Starbucks. Sweden is like the only country in the world without one. "
Weren't they supposed to open one at Arlanda?
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Enigma777

I'm gonna flip this thread on it's head. 

As an American, I miss fine European milk chocolate. To quote Garry Whitta: "Hershey's is shit!" Honestly, apart from some select import stores it's ridiculously hard to find proper chocolate around here. Don't even get me started on chocolate-filled croissants!
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FourWude
@StaticFalconar said:
" @pickassoreborn said:

• Toll booths.

Care to explain this one? "
It's where government paid trolls hang out.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Azteck
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" @Azteck said:
" Starbucks. Sweden is like the only country in the world without one. "
Weren't they supposed to open one at Arlanda? "
They did, but it's after check-in so if you want some of that, you're gonna have to buy a plane ticket.
Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Patman99

Canada has those things too.... Always the bridesmaid, never the bride, Canada....

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BrickRoad
@DeeGee said:
" @pickassoreborn said:
  • Slurpees
 Man, I live in the UK and these things confuse me, since we have all these? :S "
Yeah, we do have all those. We have new episodes of British TV shows though, he probably means US stuff.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeeGee
@Enigma777: If it helps, Cadbury's was bought out by some cheese making company from America, so now the English chocolate has gone to hell too :D

Wait.

That doesn't help at all D:
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrickRoad

I still eat Cadbury's chocolate. Tastes the same as always. It may not in the future, but it sure does now. Anyway, why is American chocolate so...not nice, compared to European chocolate? Is it the Salt?

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck: Well, seems like I'll have to try that this summer when I'm going abroad, to see what all the fuss is about.
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By PixelPrinny

We've got all those things in good ol' Canadia... well cept the giant flags. Canada's not huge on patriotism and chances are if you see a building flying a Canadian flag, they're probably flying about a dozen other province/country flags as well.

Hmm I guess what I miss most would have to be Oregon not having any sales tax. That was pretty awesome since here in BC we have a 12% sales tax (mind you it was worse a few years back when it was at 15%, though this whole new "harmonized sales tax" we've got going is its own can of words, but I digress).

Oh and the sand dunes. Those were awesome.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

It's kind of telling how fat the U.S. is that you mostly miss a dozen kinds of our junk food.
dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By dagas

Never visited the US, but I've lived in Canada and I miss a lot about Canada. Alberta, Canada was like a different world from Sweden. It's hard to describe, but it feels like the rest of the world is sooooooooo far away when in Alberta with the huge open spaces compared to Sweden where the world seems so small. This is going to sound corny, but it really felt like the new world, leaving the past in the old world behind. I can imagine the Swedish emigrants in the 19th century felt something similar. Over there people lived a more laid back life and you cared more about your neighborhood rather than what was going on in China or Turkey. I'm a liberal, but I must say the conservative people in Alberta are nice people and I was attracted to their view of the world. They took care of their own rather than trying to comprehend the entire world and solve global issues.
I think it speaks for itself that I got a severe depression after leaving Canada after having lived there for almost a year and I still several years later have dreams every now and then about going back for whatever reason, but I doubt it's the same thing now after 5 years. Most people I knew have moved to other parts of the globe.

EDIT: Here in Sweden we lock ourself in in our apartments. We have the highest number of one member households in Europe with almost half the population living by their own (even couples often live in separate apartments these days). In Canada I lived on campus where we shared a kitchen. Here we don't have that sort of housing at collage/university. We mostly live in regular apartments. It's like we don't know how to socialize anymore. I see people in Italy inviting the neighbor over for dinner while here we can't have a BBQ in our garden without having high walls around it so that we don't have to see other people while being outside.

You can't blame the cold climate either because it's cold in Canada as well, but the people were much warmer.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo

I miss it being a small part of the Empire.  You know, the good old days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

• Great food. Triple Baconators, Giordano's pizza in Chicago, Mountain dew by the gallon, all worth travelling 3000 miles for.
  • Lots of space. Everything is so big.
  • Great cities. Chicago, Seattle and Vancouver (I know it's not US but still awesome) all amazing places to be.
  • Unintentionally funny everything. Your adverts especially, always make me laugh. Billy Mays is a hero.
  • Everything is cheaper in America. Games, food, Fuel. Fuel costs less than 1/2 of what it does here. It's funny when you complain about $3 something a gallon, try $8 a gallon...

There are many reasons I wouldn't want to live in America, but for a two week trip every few years it's a great place to go.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

All I want is good internet. Everything else is better in Canada.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Example1013
@crusader8463: Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries?

@Enigma777: One word: Munson's. It's not the same taste as European chocolate, but it's still really really really good. Although as far as European food is concerned, I found that my local grocery store has started importing Lu European cookies from France. They're basically one of the most delicious snacks ever made.

The real problem is finding bread and shit at a reasonable price. We Americans have to pay at least 3 times the price for a baguette or pain-au-chocolat compared to France. Ridiculous!

@Azteck: I don't know why you'd ever want that burnt sludge Starbuck's calls coffee. I'll drink it, but I won't ever buy it. Although if you're talking about the specialty drinks, I guess I can't argue, since they make really good lattes (even if they're overpriced). I personally think Seattle's Best is better, though.

I'll tell you what I miss from other parts of America: good chowda. Quincy Market has some of the godliest chowda makers on the planet, but I never get up to Boston to experience it. Also, good fried clams. you have to go to either Cape Cod or Rhode Island *shudder* to get really good fried clams. In fact, that's pretty much all Rhode Island is good for.

More on this later.
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nemt

While living outside of the US the main thing I miss is ice in my drinks.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spoonman671
@example1013 said:
"I'll tell you what I miss from other parts of America: good chowda. Quincy Market has some of the godliest chowda makers on the planet, but I never get up to Boston to experience it."
I don't know if you did this on purpose, or if you've only ever heard the word spoken, but it's actually spelled "chowder."
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By MudMan

I've never been to the US, but being European I can tell you that we have Dunkin' Donuts and Taco Bell (and I don't think much of either, although I miss the times when we had more Subway restaurants around). 

Also, being in the continent, I think you guys in the UK have it good with cheap videogames. I actually order out of Amazon UK for a discount when compared to brick and mortar prices. And, for the record, our clothing stores have better interior design than anyone's. So do the ones in London, I can't account for the rest of the UK. Easter eggs totally beat easter bunnies. I mean, come on. Aaand US flags are creepy. Like any flag, really. But that's just me, maybe.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pibo47
@FourWude said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i love the shit America produces, but im never laying a foot on that godforsaken country's soil.. you cant get me to do it even if you pay me

"

You live in Israel, so you're already living on the 51st State of the United States. 

OH NO HE DIDN'T!! 

"
With all the money we give them...yeah kinda hahaha.
Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dingofighter
@Azteck said:
" Starbucks. Swedenis like the only country in the world without one. "
I swear I saw a Starbuck when I was in Stockholm once.
At least, I think so...
I'm pretty sure I saw one.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlexW00d

Everything being so goddamn cheap. If it wasn't for the fact that American food is atrocious, I would consider going there quite often because of how cheap it is once you get there.

TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TigerDX

I recently went to Raleigh, North Carolina, and I miss the southern hospitality. It's not super southern there, but it is somehow more southern than Florida.

Also, Bojangles.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Example1013
@Spoonman671: Say chowder with a boston accent.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By crusader8463
@example1013: That's them.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cap123

About the only thing i miss after being there for a while was the amazing burger places. But i'm sure i'd get bored of ruining my insides after a while..

cheaper videogames is pretty good as well.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rflx
@pickassoreborn said:
" Hello, hello! My last visit to the United States was truly a wonderful thing - I ended up marrying my long-time girlfriend, Along the way I sampled many of the delights which the US has to offer. I'm back here in the UK for the moment and I dearly miss a huge chunk of them - here are a few. (Warning - contains several related Twitpic images)

• Slurpees
  • Root Beer (Although I have access to suppliers now)
  • Brightly-coloured, marshmallow-infused cereals - the UK has the dreariest cereal aisle known to man, woman and child.
  • Pancake breakfasts - cheap maple syrup too. Maple Syrup in the UK is extortionately priced.
  • Tide - my missus misses that too.
  • "Having someone else bag your damn groceries". Hmm, she's getting involved a bit more now.
  • Toll booths.
  • Dunkin' Donuts. I tried to enjoy more than one of those tasty donuts, a cockroach got to the rest first. Grrrr.
  • All things Disney. Especially this.
  • I miss Target too. That store has the most amazing interior design and signage. Speaking of which...
  • "Taco Bell" (said in a whisper in the darkness behind me)
  • Butterfingers.
  • The missus is also confused as to why we celebrate Easter with large chocolate eggs instead of large chocolate bunnies.
  • "Medium hot water. Not two seperate faucets. What the hell is that about?"
  • Yellow School Buses. I swear I freaked out when I saw one - I only ever see them in US dramas and comedies.
  • "Dishwasher."
  • Huge American flags everywhere, fluttering in the optimistic breeze. Like this one.
  • Oh, and this.
Anyone else with any stuff they miss about the glorious US of A? "
Hmm, idunno. Pretty much all those things sounds pretty horrible to me. Except cheap games, I guess.
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spoonman671
@example1013 said:
" @Spoonman671: Say chowder with a boston accent. "
No, I get it.  I just wasn't sure if it was intentional or if you were a non-American who was confused about the word due to the way some Bostonians (?) pronounce it.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Example1013
@Spoonman671: Nah, I'm American. There's actually decent chowder available in places relatively close by, but Boston has some of the best.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@pickassoreborn: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MISS ROOT BEER? IS AMERICA HOGGING IT?????

Also, I miss hiding GIANT eggs at easter (back in my days living in Ireland). When I was a younger lad I loved hunting down the huge ass chocolate egg that took me like, 3 years to finish. 

@BrickRoad said:
" I still eat Cadbury's chocolate. Tastes the same as always. It may not in the future, but it sure does now. Anyway, why is American chocolate so...not nice, compared to European chocolate? Is it the Salt? "
American chocolate is pretty good for baking with, but yeah, Cadbury's is infinitely better. It's so smooth and sweet and delicious.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Example1013
@MordeaniisChaos said:
"  @pickassoreborn: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MISS ROOT BEER? IS AMERICA HOGGING IT????? "
Oh, this reminded me. If you're missing Barq's root beer, you're not really missing root beer. Hosmer Mountain root beer is real root beer. If you're ever in Connecticut, you have to seek it out.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xyzygy

You can get pretty much all that stuff in Canada, so... nothing really.

@PixelPrinny said:
" We've got all those things in good ol' Canadia... well cept the giant flags. Canada's not huge on patriotism and chances are if you see a building flying a Canadian flag, they're probably flying about a dozen other province/country flags as well.

"
What really? If you go walking around Halifax and look in people's windows I see tons of Canadian flags. Also, we have peeping toms.
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I miss having to repeat myself at least 3 times because of my accent, that and Dunkin Donuts coffee and massive bottles of coke.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FourWude
@Blair said:
" @FourWude said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"

OH NO HE DIDN'T!! 

"
Unnecessary bullshit comments are highly abrasive and deserving of such recoil, however I don't need another argument right now.  Simply recognize that I am vehemently opposed to your perspective, however I have insufficient inclination to invest the time required to successfully modify it.That is all.  :) "

Take your verbosity and shove it up your ass. You obviously took your time to reply and cared enough. 

That's me caring by the way.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By FrankCanada97

In and Out Burger, how can something so simple be so good! They need one of those here now!

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pantzing_nome

I went up to Seattle a couple weeks ago and what I miss from the states is

Tims potato chips
that gas stations and corner stores can sell alcohol and how much cheaper it is compared to Vancouver.
It also seems that restaurants give out bigger portions of food that I can never seem to finish.
SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SpicyRichter

Vancouver is missing a few of those things:
Dunkin' Doughnuts (we have Tim Horton's, but I'm not sure how it measures up)
American flags (I find large Canadian flags to be quite striking in their own right)
Disney (although Vancouver has Pixar offices now :P )
The Taco Bells here are awful compared to the US ones

A few things that struck me as odd on your list though:
Toll booths? Really?
Tide isn't a global brand? The UK doesn't have anything comparable?
No dishwashers in the UK?
Box Stores get sickening after the convenience high wears off. Especially Wal-Mart

It's funny the things that people from the UK do when they move here, regarding your Halloween house decorating. The first thing me neighbour did when he moved from Ireland was buy a massive 70s muscle car.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By stackboy

I visited Canada for a month last year and really enjoyed it (hear me out), I'm heading to the US next year in April for PAX, SXSW and Coachella. Can't wait to experience the happy.

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By diabloshadow
@Stackboy: that is a fucking insane combo. Very jelly.

I'm from canada so if I went to America, something I would miss is milk in bags. The lack of bagged milk freaks me out.