Non US Giant Bomb duders - what do you miss about the US?

• 107 results
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By beej
@FourWude
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i love the shit America produces, but im never laying a foot on that godforsaken country's soil.. you cant get me to do it even if you pay me

so i wont be there to miss anything
"

You live in Israel, so you're already living on the 51st State of the United States. 

OH NO HE DIDN'T!! 

*shit storm brewing in 3...2...*

Hoooooooooooo!
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By chrissedoff
@FourWude said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" i love the shit America produces, but im never laying a foot on that godforsaken country's soil.. you cant get me to do it even if you pay me

"

You live in Israel, so you're already living on the 51st State of the United States. 

OH NO HE DIDN'T!! 

"
i dunno, i think the tail is wagging the dog at this point
Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Gregomasta

Good list.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Arabes

I was in Boston a few times. The thing that I miss most was that the people were really friendly. My sis was living in Southy which was meant to be pretty rough but I had a blast. The people were sound. maybe it's just cause I'm Irish? We have giant chocolate eggs at easter in the UK and Ireland cause its an old norse fertility festival.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By keyhunter

I miss 89 cent 3 liter soft drinks, cheap gasoline, and cheap cheese.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By FesteringNeon

I do live in the US, and know this doesn't pertain to me... but didn't realize there were this many Canadi(e)(a)ns?
so....

I traveled over 10000 (yes ten thousand) kilometers (or kliks as they say)  through Canada last summer in just over a month, and a few things struck me as odd. (First of all, I love your country.. always have) But, If you smoke, you will go broke... (especially up by Inuvik, NWT and Tuk) literally $32 for a PACK of cigarettes, which is somewhat understandable given the location. Beer was fricken insanely priced.. and it didn't matter if you got cheap crap or good crap.. it was all pretty much the same price :( (I would love if anyone knows where I can import Yukon Red / Gold though..loved it)  Also gas prices in those areas were between $6-7 a gallon. (we drove a big conversion van so $150 tanks was the norm) I also noticed that there wasn't as many cheap meats or large packs of meats in grocery stores... there was usually a few kinds, but they're super expensive. And Mountain Dew.. eventually we came across some in larger cities.. but Coke and Sprite seemed to reign supreme.

I did notice that pretty much everywhere we went had great taxi service, and one of the coolest bars with awesome people (Thank you Filthy McNastys in Edmonton) Old dudes smokin joints outside at 3pm.. the ability to just pull over and camp pretty much anywhere (in northern canada) Including some of the most badass looking water around Banff parks and north..  to sum it up.. it was unforgettable.. just wanted to write about a few things I learned.  hmmm maybe I should blog this instead w/pictures. :p  EDIT: oh and it was funny sharing a pack of Marlboros with a few of the locals.. they didn't know what they were, or what they tasted like.. it's understandable.. but funny nonetheless.... (oh and Export A's i think they're called.. have gnarly pictures of gross shit on the packs.. maybe something we should consider doing here)

No Caption Provided
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@DeeGee said:
" @Enigma777: If it helps, Cadbury's was bought out by some cheese making company from America, so now the English chocolate has gone to hell too :DWait.That doesn't help at all D: "
Yeah Kraft. They stop producing the NZ Cadbury in NZ and now it's made in Singapore 
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By shirogane

Most of the stuff exists here in Aus. But then we lose Mortal Kombat D=

We don't have Poptarts though, gotta import those from the US. Why did you take away our poptarts!

Oh well, i know a store that imports US food, all good!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#59  Edited By Giantstalker

This guy and his awesome truck... even though our trucks were better

No Caption Provided
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@FourWude said:
" @Blair said:
" @FourWude said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"

OH NO HE DIDN'T!! 

"
Unnecessary bullshit comments are highly abrasive and deserving of such recoil, however I don't need another argument right now.  Simply recognize that I am vehemently opposed to your perspective, however I have insufficient inclination to invest the time required to successfully modify it.That is all.  :) "

Take your verbosity and shove it up your ass. You obviously took your time to reply and cared enough. 

That's me caring by the way.

"
Dude you WISH you lived in Israel.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ryanwho

I don't need to visit Israel. There are plenty of cults in the US I can visit.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Yanngc33

The ribs

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BigLemon

How do you not have root beer in the UK? You poor, poor souls!

I must start a one-man crusade to bring quality root beers, birch beers, and sarsaparillas to our brothers across the pond.

No Caption Provided

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

New York delis.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#65  Edited By alistercat
@BigLemon: We do but it''s pretty disgusting, and not popular. If kids want anything beer sounding they tend to just drink real beer. Root beer tastes like medicine.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#66  Edited By Geno

TRIX

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#67  Edited By Kyreo
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

"
Why such hate brah?
benjamimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By benjamimmy
@DeeGee said:
" @pickassoreborn said:
  • Slurpees
  • More than one flavour of Pop Tarts - I witnessed with my own eyes a whole section of Pop Tart goodness.
  • "New episodes of television shows." Although there's this thing called "the internet" which fixes that problem.
  • Cheap videogames. Videogames which cost a reasonable amount of money?
  • "Places where you can get everything in one place."
  • Halloween Stores. The ones which open up temporarily and give me delights and scares. I would love to get a US house so I can ridiculously decorate it in Halloween interactivity.
 Man, I live in the UK and these things confuse me, since we have all these? :S "
Don't forget dishwashers. Pretty much everybody I know has a dishwasher here!
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By Jayross

I am moving to Canada in a few months, so this is what I will probably miss:

-cheap food
-Amazon prime with free two day shipping and good deals on everything
-Netflix instant watch with it's pretty large library
-good Internet with reasonable bandwidth caps and no throttling.
-Hulu

Yeah, that's all I can really think of.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho
@Jayross said:
" I am moving to Canada in a few months, so this is what I will probably miss: -cheap food -Amazon prime with free two day shipping and good deals on everything -Netflix instant watch with it's pretty large library -good Internet with reasonable bandwidth caps and no throttling. -Hulu Yeah, that's all I can really think of. "
You should check out the area outside of your apartment. Some good shit out there.
xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#71  Edited By xpgamer7

I moved to china for 5 years. No Dr. Pepper, Starbucks, multi-cultural food, higher quality schools, good milk, REAL HOTDOGS, those triple slurpees Target used to make that were also on megas XLR, Trader Joes, and steak.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#72  Edited By Jayross
@ryanwho Thanks for the protip. I'm buying a season pass for Whistler/Blackcomb.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#73  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Kyreo said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"
Why such hate brah? "
no hate, Americans are awesome, its just that the country as a country is fucked up beyond belief.. so is the UK. im gonna travel around Europe one day, but no US/UK for me
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By uniform

Growing up in the seventies and eighties we shared a lot of products with the United states. Throughout the nineties those products gradually disappeared. When I travel to the States it's always nice to see those products I grew up on.

gunde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By gunde

I was in Arizona a few years back, since that visit was during the summer, I can't particularly say I miss the weather. Although it's supposedly quite nice during "winter", like 20-something degrees Celsius compared to -20-something Celsius here in Sweden.

There were some things I did miss though, like the junk food that was actually good. Chick-fil-a, Club Sandwiches, cookies etc. When we have anything like them here, it's still a far cry from what you Americans have. Another wonderful thing was the absolutely incredible prices on practically everything! I had the fortune to visit at an all time low for the USD compared to the Swedish Krona, so even when all of you were complaining about the "extremely high" prices on gas, it seemed ridiculously cheap to me (though that had just as much to do with taxes as exchange rates.)

But as with all things, there was a dark side to all of this, the internet connectivity was completely awful! Being stuck on an internet connection even slower than my phone back home was really quite demanding.

Also, it is quite interesting to visit the so called "Old Town" of Phoenix, which afaik founded in the late 19-th century, everything just seemed so new. But I suppose that's bound to happen when you come from a city that's more than 750 years old.

Anyway, America was a quite interesting place, and I would definitely like to go there again, but perhaps not Arizona in the summer...
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BigLemon
@AlisterCat said:

" @BigLemon: We do but it''s pretty disgusting, and not popular. If kids want anything beer sounding they tend to just drink real beer. Root beer tastes like medicine. "

My heart goes out to you. As a home-brewer of root beer (and something of a connoisseur), I see it as my mission to spread the deliciousness that is that wonderful and mysterious drink.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Kyreo said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"
Why such hate brah? "
no hate, Americans are awesome, its just that the country as a country is fucked up beyond belief.. so is the UK. im gonna travel around Europe one day, but no US/UK for me "
The US & UK are not perfect, but compared to what? I've lived in America all of my life, and I have traveled quite a bit for work. I've been to South Africa, Japan, Norway, and several other countries, and the US can definitely hold its own compared to any of the countries I have been to. That's just my opinion, though.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ryanwho
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Kyreo said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

"
Why such hate brah? "
no hate, Americans are awesome, its just that the country as a country is fucked up beyond belief.. so is the UK. im gonna travel around Europe one day, but no US/UK for me "
The governing bodies in Washington don't really affect the landmarks, guy. If you're only comfortable in liberal bastians, you have plenty of cities you can visit.
danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By danimal_furry

I'm not currently overseas, but when I was away, I missed a good cheese burger. I don't even eat them very often, but I think it has something to do with not being able to find a good burger.

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By h0lgr

Parties where you don't have to BYOB and there's red cups with beer waiting for you.
That shit never fucking happens here.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By gamefreak9

Only thing i miss about the US is a girl, and maybe New York's size, its so like small... you can walk through all of manhattan in a few hours. 

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Franstone

Glad to see you enjoyed it so much.

From what I've seen around here most people enjoy talking shit about America...

Come on back now ya hear!

; )

Dunkin Donuts rules - clearly you must have been on the east coast

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By pickassoreborn
@Axxol:  I think that's on the list of places to check out - that with the Harry Potter Wizarding World is definitely on the list.

I disagree with the comment that we have Slurpees. We have Slush Puppies, which are by far a terrible imitation of the real thing. I miss the fact you can help yourself to Slurpees in service stations in the US too.
pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By pickassoreborn
@Enigma777: In regards to the lack of decent chocolate in the US, I have to agree there - not a big fan of Hersheys. I think that US does non-chocolate candy better than most - must be all the corn syrup.
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Impossibilium
@AlexW00d said:

" Everything being so goddamn cheap. If it wasn't for the fact that American food is atrocious, I would consider going there quite often because of how cheap it is once you get there. "

Cheap is relative.

If you don't live and work here than your impressions are based entirely on the exchange rate. WHICH IS NOT RELEVANT.

You have to look at your living costs and what you earn comparatively. How much tax you pay. What tax you pay. What bills you pay.

If I get paid less than my occupational counterpart in the UK then everything is more expensive. If my house taxes or medical insurance is twice what someone would pay in the UK then my take home salary will be much less. etc. etc.

A gallon of gas may cost £50 in the UK and 20p here, but if that's only 10% of your income in the UK and 30% in the US then it doesn't matter what you think the sticker says.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AlexW00d
@Impossibilium said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" Everything being so goddamn cheap. If it wasn't for the fact that American food is atrocious, I would consider going there quite often because of how cheap it is once you get there. "
Cheap is relative.If you don't live and work here than your impressions are based entirely on the exchange rate. WHICH IS NOT RELEVANT.You have to look at your living costs and what you earn comparatively. How much tax you pay. What tax you pay. What bills you pay.If I get paid less than my occupational counterpart in the UK then everything is more expensive. If my house taxes or medical insurance is twice what someone would pay in the UK then my take home salary will be much less. etc. etc. "
I'm not too sure on how tax works over yonder, so let us talk about it. We have three tax bands for wages, and National Insurance that is 11% that you pay on all wage. So, if you earn £25000 a year pre tax, you lose 11% of that for NI then 20% of that minus £6475 so that is £18000 (I don't know where I am going with this)
And then there is a 40% tax band for wages over £30000 (or so, I forget).
AND then there is 20% VAT on almost everything you will buy. 

I'm not sure where I have taken this, but I am pretty sure it is easier to survive off less money in America. I think. I dunno aha.
She

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By She

WAL-MART. I was astonished when I went there, baring in my I was like 11.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By metalmoog

Fenway Park & The United Centre. If I moved to the US it would either be to Boston or Chicago because i could watch my two favourite teams play there regularly.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d: It probably is. There are people who can literally live off of what they get either by begging or by recycling cans (or both). Think about this. Heroin addicts often beg. In a serious addiction, a day's worth of heroin can cost $1000. That means that a serious heroin addict makes $1000 a day just begging on the streets.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Tally_Pants
@pickassoreborn:
no root beer... what did you drink growing up? I wasn't aloud Coke so I had root beer instead. Also... what color are your school bus'??
Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Zabant
@ryanwho: You know i dont think i have ever seen you post without it being a negative remark or insulting any country that isnt the US.

What i want from 'murica: Your soul killing foods and cheaper everything....and weather. Well, Florida weather, alaska can go to hell.
RafaelMei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By RafaelMei

The only time I went to the US I was pretty young so I don't remember much.

But I know there's some stuff there I really wanted to have here in Brazil, like:

• Donuts
  • Better Burgers
  • Cheaper Games (Seriously, game prices are MESSED UP here in Brazil)
  • Being able to buy stuff at launch (Very few games lauch here simultaneously with the US)
  • Some colder wheater (But this isn't an US exclusive)

There's probably some more stuff but I can't remember right now and have to go to class.
shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By shadyspace

Hey, Canadians how about for once in your lives you don't post your tired smug bullshit in a positive thread about the U.S.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ryanwho

Boston Market. I like Boston Market. I don't like Boston. I'd like Boston more if it were more like Boston Market. As someone from the south, I assure you Cracker Barrel is exactly as tacky as the south in the best way. A lot of good food things can be said about America. Rallys is super regional, I think, but their fries are great. They might be fried worms but it works.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#95  Edited By crusader8463
@shadyspace said:
" Hey, Canadians how about for once in your lives you don't post your tired smug bullshit in a positive thread about the U.S. "
That will happen the day we can make a thread about Canada and not hear the same tired old smug bull shit Americans like to say about us.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#96  Edited By grilledcheez
@pickassoreborn: I believe Ghirardelli  is technically an American chocolate company.  It's pretty high quality.
pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By pantzing_nome
@Kandycane2029 said:
" @pantzing_nome said:
"Tims potato chips"
I think you're talking about Tom's. Those things are awesome. I love their hot fries. "
I've never heard of Tom's before, is that a restaurant? These are Tim's
My favorite flavor 
My favorite flavor 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Example1013
@GrilledCheez01: Fuck Ghirardelli. Munson's is 5 times better.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ajamafalous

Barq's?

:\

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SSully
@zudthespud said:
"
  • Great food. Triple Baconators, Giordano's pizza in Chicago, Mountain dew by the gallon, all worth travelling 3000 miles for.
  • Lots of space. Everything is so big.
  • Great cities. Chicago, Seattle and Vancouver (I know it's not US but still awesome) all amazing places to be.
  • Unintentionally funny everything. Your adverts especially, always make me laugh. Billy Mays is a hero.
  • Everything is cheaper in America. Games, food, Fuel. Fuel costs less than 1/2 of what it does here. It's funny when you complain about $3 something a gallon, try $8 a gallon...

There are many reasons I wouldn't want to live in America, but for a two week trip every few years it's a great place to go.
"
Hate to rub it in but I live in Chicago and Giordano's is easily my favorite pizza place and I try to order there whenever I do have pizza.