#1 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

So this awesome duder found this and tweeted it to Drew, and seeing that he hadn't posted it with the forums, I decided to take it upon myself to share the awesomeness.

http://112.170.78.145:50000/chosun

It's . . . wow. Just caught the end of a romantic drama about a military woman trying to choose who she loves of three other dudes in the army. It's like looking into a fictional universe like 1984, but sadly and strikingly real. It is incredible to witness, but so disturbing at the same time.

Edit: Looks like it is down now. Maybe it will come back up later. :(

#2 Posted by TheHT (11294 posts) -

...I'm afraid to try this.

#3 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1423 posts) -

well that was a weirdly entrancing way to spend my time

#4 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I feel nauseous

#5 Edited by eskimo (477 posts) -

This is awesome! Is this live?

#6 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Oh shit, turn it on and it had a montage of Kim Jon Il with sad music and the announcer crying....wow!

#7 Edited by ThunderSlash (1731 posts) -

WHERE AM I?!

#8 Posted by konig_kei (618 posts) -

This is pretty incredible....DEATH TO AMERICA! LONG LIVE THE DPRK!

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

#10 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

not falling for that old trick op. i know just a little bit of exposure and then i'm all "dear leader this dear leader that!"

#11 Edited by MachoFantastico (4701 posts) -

Tiger Woods... the greedy golfer! :D To be fair, they are right about Katie Price.

#12 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Was watching this a week or so ago, pretty interesting, even if the thousands of /b/tards are lagging it up

#13 Posted by Cirdain (3089 posts) -

What the fuck is happening.

Sad piano?

#14 Edited by Pepsiman (2478 posts) -

Seeing this makes me curious how easy it would be to stream broadcasts of their international propaganda radio stations. I know they at least have material in English and Japanese due to how their foreign ministry is staffed and it would be neat to hear some of their political stuff in either language since I speak both.

(Edit: It's also worth mentioning for the curious that it's possible to obtain some of the movies their film industry has produced with some torrents roaming around online. I doubt they come with subtitles, but it's neat that they exist since I imagine obtaining the physical DVDs is otherwise pretty hard since they're only sold to tourists visiting North Korea.)

#15 Edited by Mirado (993 posts) -

This is enthralling. And I don't speak a word of Korean. The visual style alone is so unique; I've seen snippets of their state run TV before on various documentaries, but it's never more than a minute at most.

I have a friend that speaks fluent Korean, and he'd flip to watch some of this. Thanks for the heads up, @mcghee. Never would have caught this otherwise.

#16 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@casper_ said:

not falling for that old trick op. i know just a little bit of exposure and then i'm all "dear leader this dear leader that!"

Even without knowing the language I can feel how the segments with the military preparedness footage with the strong female announcer voice droning on and on could really get to you.

#17 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@mirado said:

This is enthralling. And I don't speak a word of Korean. The visual style alone is so unique; I've seen snippets of their state run TV before on various documentaries, but it's never more than a minute at most.

I have a friend that speaks fluent Korean, and he'd flip to watch some of this. Thanks for the heads up, @mcghee. Never would have caught this otherwise.

If you can, get him to watch and then report back to us what he says. That would be cool.

#18 Posted by Cirdain (3089 posts) -

The bit where Kim speaks to people and leaves on a boat and everyone runs into the water cheering while the string section reaches it's crescendo is the weirdest bit.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

The real question here is how did you find out about that tweet.

#20 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

What are they going to name the huge crater that will appear where North Korea used to be?

#21 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

@funkydupe said:

What are they going to name the huge crater that will appear where North Korea used to be?

Don't know, tell you what, I'll give you a flag to go plant in the center of it to claim the name for yourself. If your skin starts to melt off, don't worry, you're heartless anyway.

#22 Edited by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

A voice-over sounding tearful while military members flap their cheeks(?) and sing happily at Kim Jong-un...

North Korean TV is best Korean TV.

... Okay, now they're standing and cheering chest-high in water as he waves at them from a boat. Now we're back in creepy propaganda town.

Aaaaand here come the tanks while cheesy military music plays and the VO sounds excited. I'd swear this were a comedic show if I thought for even a second that NK would allow such monkeyshines.

Edit: Wow, some of the soldiers looked terrified as they cheered. This is getting disturbing.

#23 Edited by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

Oh no, you got me watching it. I have been watching almost five minutes of rockets supported by what sounds like triumphant music from the old anime Space Battleship Yamato. This is incredible.

#24 Edited by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

Okay, now that was definitely the Guile Theme playing while they tested anti-aircraft weaponry...

#25 Posted by Funkydupe (3320 posts) -

@funkydupe said:

Don't know, tell you what, I'll give you a flag to go plant in the center of it to claim the name for yourself. If your skin starts to melt off, don't worry, you're heartless anyway.

I don't accept gifts from cretins spewing oxymora. You want me to die a slow death by radiation, and you're talking about having a heart. :) You're a joke.

#26 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

@funkydupe: It wouldn't be a gift, and I wouldn't want you to die a slow death, I'm just pointing you in a direction where you can find it.

#27 Edited by eskimo (477 posts) -

Is it down? I can't get back in. I need to get back in. I'm worried about our Supreme Leader. Do you think he got the letters I sent?

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13203 posts) -

Doesn't seem to be working. Damn shame.

#29 Edited by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

Aw, it seems to be offline right now.

I know NK state TV goes off the air sometimes; so, hopefully that's all it is and it will be back later. It was quite entertaining.

#30 Posted by Danteveli (1186 posts) -

Its past sundown in NK so people should go to sleep and not watch TV.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@pepsiman said:

I doubt they come with subtitles, but it's neat that they exist since I imagine obtaining the physical DVDs is otherwise pretty hard since they're only sold to tourists visiting North Korea.

Visiting? Doesn't that imply that they might be able to leave at some point?

#32 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

I support North Korea in its defence of its homeland against thieving, bankrupt western nations, who always steal to keep themselves rich.

#33 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The real question here is how did you find out about that tweet.

By following Drew and seeing it when he re-tweeted it? :/

#34 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

D: It doesn't work anymore!

#35 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Did we break it? Is it broken?
I have to see this.

#36 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

This is so weird, it's strikes me as just how an alien race would react to a lot of our stuff, and some the lines are fucking brilliant.

#37 Edited by McShank (1629 posts) -

O no! The North Korean Cyber Warriors are onto us now!

#38 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@bourbon_warrior: I have no words after watching that video...

Anyways, I wished I could have found this thread earlier, the link won't work for me.

#39 Posted by Morka (161 posts) -

@wasabicurry: Same here. Link seems dead now, probally killed by Cyber-Kim - North Koreas One Man Cyber Army (NKOMCA).

#40 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Awww. It's down. :(

#41 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

guys, if you were brain washed, would you know it?

#42 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -
#43 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@bourbon_warrior said:

"Reality television, a type of freak show programming about talentless narcissists who like to talk about themselves, and go shopping."

I mean, that's hilarious. Accurate, but hilarious.

#44 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Seems to be working again. Makes for depressing viewing, too.

#45 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

I caught a news program. It was pretty cool.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I'm just getting bars and tone right now.

#47 Posted by Morka (161 posts) -

Its always down when i want to watch some good old fashioned quality TV :/

#48 Edited by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Reply to me when it's back up. I need to watch this.

#49 Edited by oraknabo (1470 posts) -

I've got to say, with the exception of the iffy statistics about finding things on a map, I think I actually agree with almost everything in that video about american celebrities.