#1 Posted by keyvin (34 posts) -

Well dudes and dudettes, I just don't consider myself a gamer anymore. I have played tens of thousands of hours of video games in the course of my life. I don't view it as wasted time because, c'mon, who didn't feel upset when some dude with a giant katana skewered the protagonist's girlfriend? I enjoyed every second of it actually. They also didn't stop me from making some major accomplishments (college, career, sports, relationships). Its just since I got treated for my psychiatric issues I don't have the desire to play games. I'd rather hang out with friends and shoot the shit. When I am not doing that I am chatting on forums, listening to music, occasionally reading a Horus heresy book. Actually, the only time I play games now is when I play them with friends. Four player Rampart is intense.

Problem is I still collect video games, spending between $100 and $200 every month on discs, cartridges and downloads that I am never going to play. It is so screwed up I have set up some appointments with my therapist just to work on this issue. It isn't that I can't afford it - its that I live in 350 sq. feet and I don't really have room for boxes and manuals and stuff. GOG.com has helped me get rid of like fifty boxes, and 100 cds as I don't have the fear of never having them again...

I own a 3ds, a GBA, a ps2, a ps3, a l33t gamer PC, and a wii. I will prob pick up the PS 4 when it comes out too. Between these platforms, I have over 500 games. I haven't even played most of them. I can't will myself to play most of them (lol atlus RPGs lol). I can't bring myself to sell them.

Am I a collector or a hoarder? Has anyone else made the jump from hardcore to casual? How did you let go of your fear of having a game go out of print and not be able to play it? I wish the publishers and system manufacturers would release their entire catalog for digital download... I wouldn't mourn the death of physical media...

#2 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

I try to just only buy a console game when I have finished one. It's easy to keep things under control that way, even if I don't stick to it devoutly it more or less. PC is different because well, Steam sales & indie games, considerably less of an investment. But yeah, I mean if you judged by how much money I spend a year on games, it's probably not huge amounts compared to a lot of the more "dedicated" gamers. I think the only 360 game I've bought & not played a fair amount of is Dark Souls.

I really don't fret about games going out of print, if I want something that badly then I'll have gotten it within a year of release. Plus there's still the pre-owned market. There's a couple things I'd like to play that I've been unable to find, but if I was that fussed I'd have looked online rather than just rely on retail stores.

#3 Posted by Lukeweizer (2769 posts) -

#4 Posted by OmegaChosen (647 posts) -

Being a gamer is like being a Power Ranger.

Once a gamer, always a gamer.

#5 Posted by Mirado (1055 posts) -

@keyvin: Not to be an enabler, but Sessler's got some relevancy here and anytime I can bring him up, I feel like it's my duty to do so.

#6 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

@OmegaChosen said:

Does that mean if we all come together and stop bickering we can form Megazord?

#7 Posted by keyvin (34 posts) -

@forkboy: Lol, its kind of irrational. I was actually lucky to just have a console as a kid, and I only got a game on my birthday and Christmas. There were a lot of classics I didn't get to play until I bought my own computer (lol, I bought one before I bought a car) and could emulate them. Its just, we are like 12 years into the ps2's lifespan (The ps2 is dead. Long live ps2). and we are just now getting to the point where we can emulate it. The ps3 has an even more radical architecture...

I feel like I missed out on not getting to play ff6 or chrono trigger in their day.

#8 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2612 posts) -
@keyvin said:

I'd rather hang out with friends and shoot the shit.

... shoot the shit?
#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@keyvin said:

... shoot the shit?

Instead of huffing hunk a dunk you can now shoot it in your arm.

#10 Posted by keyvin (34 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@keyvin said:

... shoot the shit?

Its a colloqialism I guess. It means to just talk about nothing.

#11 Posted by keyvin (34 posts) -

@Mirado: What have you done. I just preordered soul hackers and etrian odyssey 4 because of you :(

#12 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@keyvin said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@keyvin said:

... shoot the shit?

Its a colloqialism I guess. It means to just talk about nothing.

Shitshooting sounds like fun

#13 Posted by Grillbar (1907 posts) -

@_Chad said:

@OmegaChosen said:

Does that mean if we all come together and stop bickering we can form Megazord?

i wanna to the left thumb if possible

#14 Posted by Flappy (2352 posts) -

@Mirado: If that is your mission, then you are an awesome person. Mr. Sessler is a great person.

#15 Edited by Mirado (1055 posts) -

@keyvin: I feel a bit like Darth Vader, except Luke's response to "Join me!" was "Okay!"

Nothing wrong with picking up more games, really. As long as you are using disposable income and it isn't interfering with your life, I see nothing wrong with it.

Then again, I've got about 260 games on Steam alone (forget counting the consoles, that's a lost battle. I've got shit back from the 70s that my father gave me which I want to get to.) that I've never even downloaded, let alone played, soooo perhaps this is like one alcoholic talking another into having a few drinks.

@Flappy: Absolutely I think he is one of the best spoken and logical individuals in any field; he does a great job of looking a bit deeper than most, but he presents it in a way which makes that knowledge easily accessible.

#16 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

@keyvin said:

@forkboy: Lol, its kind of irrational. I was actually lucky to just have a console as a kid, and I only got a game on my birthday and Christmas. There were a lot of classics I didn't get to play until I bought my own computer (lol, I bought one before I bought a car) and could emulate them. Its just, we are like 12 years into the ps2's lifespan (The ps2 is dead. Long live ps2). and we are just now getting to the point where we can emulate it. The ps3 has an even more radical architecture...

I feel like I missed out on not getting to play ff6 or chrono trigger in their day.

I mean I get what you mean, I had a NES but there's games I wish I had for it that I never got to play then & the experience just isn't the same when you come back 10 years later. Never had a SNES so missed out on a bollock-load of the classics there. But then I also didn't have a N64, so I've never played Ocarina of Time all the way through, or Mario 64. The last generation of consoles totally passed me by, I made the grave error of buying a Gamecube that sat collecting dust & was then totally out of console gaming until GTA4's release convinced me to buy a 360, basically just playing strategy games on the PC for years. It's a shame, but at the same time, I just find it easier to focus on the stuff that I did play, & wasted far too many hours with. Oblivion, Europa Universalis 3, KOTOR, various incarnations of Football Manager & Championship Manager before it, Civ 4 & then 5, Hearts of Iron 2, Dawn of War, the first 2 Total War games & so on. Maybe I'd have loved Ocarina of Time, but more likely I'd have played for a while & never completed it, instead I spent the time conquering the world with Nazi Germany in HOI2 or whatever. I can get by without having played every game deemed great.

#17 Edited by cmblasko (1346 posts) -

I'm no therapist, but if you give up the game hoarding won't you just find something else to collect in its place?

#18 Posted by believer258 (12192 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@keyvin said:

... shoot the shit?

You guys have never heard of "shooting the shit"?

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@believer258: Yeah but I haven't heard anyone say it in years.

#20 Posted by believer258 (12192 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Rural American south. I hear this colloquialism often.

#22 Posted by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

@OmegaChosen said:

That's poetry in my book.

#23 Posted by believer258 (12192 posts) -

Sounds like an old habit that's dying hard.

#24 Posted by keyvin (34 posts) -

@cmblasko: I don't think so. I really don't buy anything else, and I just check out E-books from my library when I want to read something.

#25 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Rural American south. I hear this colloquialism often.

I live in the northeast and I still say that.

#26 Posted by cmblasko (1346 posts) -

@keyvin said:

@cmblasko: I don't think so. I really don't buy anything else, and I just check out E-books from my library when I want to read something.

Well, that's good - I really hope you stick to it, then. Wonder what it is about games specifically that drives you to collect them over other forms of media?

#27 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2612 posts) -
@believer258 said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@keyvin said:

... shoot the shit?

You guys have never heard of "shooting the shit"?

I've heard it used before I just never bothered to find out its meaning. Certainly not something you hear everyday. (Well, depending on where you live and uh, activities you engage in.)
#28 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

If you don't have times for games because you're spending time on forums than you have bigger issues you need to bring up with your therapist. I can't think of any activity that has less positive benefits on one's life than Internet forums.

#29 Posted by Sumbog (506 posts) -

I was feeling about 2 months ago, then exam break started,and I ended up beating like 6 games and am still going strong. I think for me I was just overwhelmed by all the games I had to beat, and I let that control me instead of just enjoying the games. But now I have rekindled my love for games.

#30 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

we don't welcome your kind 'round these parts

#31 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

It's your CollectSHUN it's your passion. Yeah it can be that something in your brain lights up when you get that high from buying games. You know like Oniomania

Also don't dismiss Atlus' RPGs that easily.

#32 Posted by keyvin (34 posts) -

@Hunkulese: Hmm, some forums are cesspools (think /b/). I've learned a lot from talking to people on forums. It just that I find the interactions I have on forums to be more rewarding than say running an instance through group finder in WoW.

@RedCream: I'm not dismissing Atlus RPGs. Its just that the few I have played usually involved insane grinding or cheap "how the hell do you beat this guy" bosses. I don't mind a good grind ala FF1, but how many hours would it take to 100% disgaea 2?

#33 Edited by Asrahn (555 posts) -

@keyvin said:

Am I a collector or a hoarder?

Humans are collectors by nature.

You do seem to display a hoarding pattern though. If you have no desire to play games any more, I'd suggest getting some help if you can't just stop on your own. You seem in the clear enough to realize it's an issue, or at least contradictory to your wishes, and should as such mark it as something that's not healthy for you.

Don't throw everything out though. There may come that rainy spring or autumn evening, where the itch suddenly returns. I know it did for me.

The Emperor Protects, brother.

#34 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

Hmmm I can relate to this topic since my PS3 has also been collecting dust until Dark Souls came out. And right now I'm only likely to touch my PS3 again when Last of Us comes out. I recently bought Ni No Kuni but it ended up with my sister playing and finishing it due to the lacking time I seem to have for such games. Its like I even bought the game treating it like another Studio Ghibli DVD of some sort (I wonder also since the whole pokemon like vibe made turn away from it for a while or JRPGs seem to have a bigger female audience now than before). As for PC thats where it seems to have the most activity playing a few games Battlefield 3 when going home from work. And the only game so far that got me hooked again was XCOM. Hopefully Dead Space 3 will rev it up if possible.

#35 Posted by DizzyMedal (400 posts) -

@keyvin said:

I don't view it as wasted time because, c'mon, who didn't feel upset when some dude with a giant katana skewered the protagonist's girlfriend?

Actually, I was so glad when she died. God she was awful.

But in other news, I think you should continue talking with your therapist about cutting back on the game buying. If you aren't going to play them all, slowing the intake can be a good thing. Maybe think about some restrictions like games you will only want to play with your friends. That way you can still enjoy games, but you're also keeping up with hanging out with them as much as you have been, both of which can be benefitial. I wish you luck on your new era of lifestyle.

#36 Posted by Akyho (1698 posts) -

@keyvin: I myself have almost not income. I am down to buying maybe one or two full priced games a year, and yet I haven't even play through most of them. Pretty standard for Gamers to have a "Stack of shame".

We both have the same problem and we are on different ends of the spectrum. You have disposable income, I dont, yet we both do the same thing.

I have a few go to games on the pc. However I am always looking for that "Next hook" I do complete games, except they have to hook me. Yet I dont go back to many games.

Someone I know has the complete opposite, he as a kid didnt get much games and this is the 80s. So he would play the same game to completion, even if it was bad. So he would replay the games over and over. He has a wife and a job, yet he cant help himself he must 100% everything. Buying guide books and everything to make sure he know everything to so he can complete it.

So your not alone with these "habits" revoled around games.

Hell I have 100 pc games in my cupboard. 20 right next to me. A steam list of 200 games and so many other unplayed games....yet I sit down and play a GBA game.

#37 Posted by planetary (355 posts) -

Watch YouTube let's plays, if you must, to cull the purchasing urge. BTW, in my experience all this gamer shit gets put into much clearer perspective when you have kids and your priorities crystalize. You choose your games carefully, and more wisely, because time (at least) becomes precious. At some point even later, when your kids are old enough, you circle back around and maybe play with them a bit. That can be very fun and even rewarding, e.g. Vinny and his dad/family. Anyway, dude: priorities. Make your choices. Choose to be a collector, or not. You are a grown-up, and you probably know what the right answer is already.

#38 Posted by TheFreepie (82 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@keyvin said:

... shoot the shit?

So the media was totally wrong, people who STOP playing games get into gun violence!