This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by BrotherBran (35 posts) -

I didn’t post anything yesterday because i wrote the outline to my next story, and i don’t really want to share that, in case someone out there actually reads the thing. Its set in the world of Joe Abercrombie’s First law trilogy. I wouldn’t call it fan fic, i only really use a couple characters from the books, and only to set up my characters place in the world and whatnot. The tentative title is, The Tellers of Secrets, and here is a tiny bit.

Asher dan Visyne, had always been bright, even as a child he grasped things it seemed to take adults a while to figure out. Now though, he was on a new level. Everything seemed brighter, he could taste the hot air in his lab, feel how close the walls were, but in a good way. Now, his intellect had grown so much, that it whispered to him, things his conscious mind may have missed. Everything held a certain beauty now, even things that would have once horrified him. Even the way the piece of stone in its glass container seemed to writhe, once made him uneasy, nervous, now he loved it, it was the single most important discovery anyone, had ever made. He would use it to break down a gate that had stood for too long, at this thought his spine tingled and he almost heard the whisper of his genius bellow in pleasure, rapt by his determination to bring back his love from the gates of death, Amelia, he would have her back, and the whisper was silent again, but not gone, never gone.

#1 Edited by 49th (2753 posts) -

is there aliens in it?

#2 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Let's turn this into a Bombcrew fan fiction thread.

#3 Posted by Daneian (1229 posts) -
#4 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

What is this, Tumblr?

(also, run-on sentences)

#5 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

liar.

#6 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1582 posts) -

@fourwude said:

It's about to get hot in here.

#7 Edited by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@fourwude said:

Ryan got married yesterday... but to WHOM!? I'll leave the premise there. You flesh it out as you want and thank me later.

Also, I have absolutely no fucking clue what this topic is about.

#8 Edited by Abendlaender (2802 posts) -

That's EXACTLY what a liar would say!

@joeyravn said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@fourwude said:

Ryan got married yesterday... but to WHOM!? I'll leave the premise there. You flesh it out as you want and thank me later.

Also, I have absolutely no fucking clue what this topic is about.

Ryan got married, Patrick "leaves" the office and gay marriage is legalised, all in one week? Now, I don't want to imply anything but....just think about it.

#9 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1117 posts) -

You're basically rewriting Orpheus getting his beloved Persephone back from Hades? Know your classics, not the retellings of it (Joe Abercrombie’s First Law???)

#10 Edited by Scampbell (497 posts) -

I been meaning to read Joe Abercrombie for a while now, maybe I should do sooner rather than later.

In any case a nice read, by the way, as we are (kinda) talking about fan fiction, have anyone read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

• Have you ever felt Harry was kind of a moron? And wouldn't it be cool if Harry had been more like Artemis Fowl in the books by Eoin Colfer?
  • What if story had been less of a cliché?

Well say no more.

#11 Posted by dudeglove (7818 posts) -

Anyone remember that thread from ages ago where Jeff cut open his stomach and Ryan ate his intestines?

#12 Edited by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Force yourself to rewrite it using 15 fewer commas.

#13 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1117 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Force yourself to rewrite it using 15 fewer commas.

That didn't work on Patrick, too.

#14 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Seems like an interesting start but if you're using TFL trilogy as a base then remember to keep the fantastical elements somewhat subdued. With a plot about retrieving someone from the gates of death you could easily go a bit crazy. And yeah, there are a few too many commas. Keep us updated.

#15 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Anyone remember that thread from ages ago where Jeff cut open his stomach and Ryan ate his intestines?

I remember it. Someone has that in a google doc somewhere.

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11714 posts) -

In my Giant Bomb fanfiction Brad is secretly the avatar of death and in the end he destroys the world because Jeff never played Persona 3.

#17 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

I remember it. Someone has that in a google doc somewhere.

I have it. It's quite frightening.

#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

@brotherbran: If you want to write a story on your blog that's fine, but the forums are for starting discussions. Please don't take up space on the boards to post single paragraphs of your fan-fics.