#1 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I'm the type of person who needs to sleep a minimum of 8-9 hours a day, otherwise my eyelids become heavy. It's been roughly 24 hours since I last slept, and I guess the first few hours of sleep deprivation are the worst. I need to last at least another 24 hours, and we won't get into the reasons. I'll just say, they're childish, pointless and stupid, but I still gotta do it... out of spite...but not the negative kind or...whatever. I guess I'm not too dissimilar to The Underground Man, don't tell me how it ends, I wanna be surprised. And no, the novel is not the reason or inspiration for this insanity.

Enough text? I think so, hopefully the capitalist moderators won't close this thread down comrades...hehe. I'm really stupid when I'm tired, like more-so than usual (I initially wrote than as then, fuck). So what do you do to keep awake apart from listening to really loud music and drinking coffee? And how many hours of beauty sleep do you need?

And I also think I already made a thread like this one before, pretty sure...oh well, to hell with it create new topic *click*

#2 Posted by Sweep (8983 posts) -

Sleeping is cheating.

#3 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I don't sleep quite often.

It's not that hard, all you have to do is...not sleep!

#4 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

When I need to stay awake, I go to Giantbomb and hit F5 over and over and over and over and over and then someone makes a cool post. I repeat this process for as long as is needed.

#5 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -

Hmm, I usually power nap! But it looks like that isn't allowed. So, I busy myself I suppose. Or I just chill out reading or watching films but set an alarm on my phone so that if I start to fall asleep I get woken up haha.

Uhm and I need around 7 hours to feel healthy!

#6 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Sleeping is cheating.

#7 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Have fun hallucinating dead babies!

#8 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@S0ndor: I'll be tripping balls in some 8 hours or so. I can feel the storm coming. Sleep deprivation, nature's way of showing us how cool it is to hallucinate shit.

@Tylea002 said:

@Sweep said:

Sleeping is cheating.

And pussies are for cheating!

@mandude: How long does it take?

@Canteu: I hate you so much right now, but I'll probably look back at this post when I'm fully rested and smile...and then hate you again, and then smile again. And then I'll probably go do something else.

@TheSouthernDandy: Yeah, that's deja vu if I ever seen...felt...remembered...whatever one.

#9 Posted by dudeglove (8308 posts) -

If you snooze you lose.

#10 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

Coffee and something to keep your mind occupied. Like videogames If it's too passive you'll start drifting off. Also showers are good to wake you up.

#11 Posted by Xymox (2116 posts) -

It's a bet isn't it? I did that once. The above advice could work. I just played games (competitive multiplayer) and drank a lot of caffinated beverage from a well known company that will remain unnamed. I fell asleep in the car after that, luckily for me, I wasn't the one who was driving. No hallucinations though, but at least I won the bet.

#12 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Xymox: It's actually someone telling me I spend too much time sleeping and how I'm lazy and then made a reference to my nationality being that of a nation I don't care too much about, to put it lightly. The lazy and sleep loving part stands, but I'll be fucked in the prison shower before someone tells me I'm a...well, nevermind.

#13 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: I was actually referring to as long I need to be awake, but if you're asking how long before cool posts happen: too long.

I guess that after all the normal people go to sleep at around 11, all you're left with is the mindless F5 clickers which isn't really a pro-active way to make something cool happen.

#14 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (497 posts) -

Play Amnesia.

#15 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

i always thought it would be a really cool super power to never have to sleep, and that your body would always regenerate just like it would if it were sleeping all the time. The only thing that would suck though is that you wouldn't get to experience dreaming, and i love dreaming, it's so much fun sometimes, even if the dream has a negative connotation. well there's my beans on the subject. agree? disagree? don't like beans?

#16 Posted by cid798 (250 posts) -

Oh no ! It's Tom Dubois ! You've been warned about the health inspector !

Seriously I've seen it to be so completely different based on the individual. Myself, went to work at 5:30 yesterday and still up. I work at night in shipping for a chicken company that rhymes with Derpue. Physically intensive and all that good stuff but I'm also not a coffee drinker or any kind of energy drink person. Alcohol or water is the only time I drink for purpose and not just tastiness.

Also naps tend to make me feel like crap. I either want my full 6 or so hours of sleep or rough it out till the next chance to get it.

#17 Posted by clumsyninja1 (816 posts) -

Count sheep

#18 Posted by Xymox (2116 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Xymox: It's actually someone telling me I spend too much time sleeping and how I'm lazy and then made a reference to my nationality being that of a nation I don't care too much about, to put it lightly. The lazy and sleep loving part stands, but I'll be fucked in the prison shower before someone tells me I'm a...well, nevermind.

I wouldn't necessarily call it immature. Hey, at least you're standing up for yourself. Or what you believe in. Or whatever. I support you in your endeavor.

#19 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I didn't even know we had a section on sleeping...

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

When I was younger I would stay up all night downloading shareware video games from the internet, some of it was real crap. but every once in a while I would stumble on to a winner. Like Spiderwebsoftware.com. And mind you this was 100mb - 300mb all downloading over 56k. Those were the funnest nights ever.

#21 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Yeah those games look...interesting-ish. But Imma just stick to Morrowind, the game that's easiest to break since before Skyrim. I'm level 9 and I have a full set of both glass and ebony armor as well as an ebony longsword and daedric longbow. Yeah, Morrowind will keep me up damn it! I also closed my eyes for like 10 seconds, feel a lot better, but still awful.

#22 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (714 posts) -

Start a Fight Club.

#23 Posted by probablytuna (3832 posts) -

I've been sleeping really badly the past two weeks. One time I was in bed for six hours and I wasn't even sleeping, my eyes were closed but I was like half conscious. I was extremely tired the next two days, felt like Christian Bale's character in The Machinist, every time I wanted to fall asleep something woke me up again and I couldn't fall back. I feared that I would end up like him. (Speaking of which did anyone notice his cameo appearance in Heavy Rain?) Now it's getting a little bit better, had around 10 hours sleep last night.

#24 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming: I love you too. *hugs*

#25 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth and have fun trying to differentiate between your hallucinations and the games.

#26 Posted by Heltom92 (715 posts) -

Stop playing games and looking at the computer all day, get some exercise and then sleep. Trying not to sleep sounds dumb.

#27 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

Read SCP and play horror games. You won't sleep for a week!

#28 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@Heltom92: The shoe fits! The upside is I got this really cool countdown clock and it says...1 day 41 min and 53 50 48 45 42 seconds until I can finally sleep. Fuck me.

@Canteu said:

I hope you're a chick.

#29 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Running is a good way to tire yourself out.

#30 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Canteu said:

I hope you're a chick.

I hope he isn't. <3

#31 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Canteu said:

I hope you're a chick.

I hope he isn't. <3

16/f/ca

#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Do thirty minutes of strenuous exercise every hour. In the remaining time, load up on carbs to keep your body going. This routine probably won't* kill you.

--

*read: probably will

#33 Posted by Milkman (17339 posts) -

I can't remember the last time I've gone to sleep before midnight.