#1 Edited by Matterless (330 posts) -

So... NRA president Wayne LaPierre just held a press conference in which video games were, in part, blamed for the Sandy Hook massacre. Games "with names like 'BulletStorm'... and 'Mortal Kombat.'"

I'll leave aside my own political views and relegate this thread to just the video game portion, despite the fact that this was the most insane press conference I have ever seen. No questions were taken. And everything from "gun-free school zones" to "music videos" was blamed. I will post the full video as I find one I can embed. Unitil then, you can watch this shitshow here: www.c-span.org/Events/NRA-News-Conference-in-Response-to-Newtown-CT-Shooting/10737436772-1/

But yeah, in an unexpected twist, the NRA is coming for your violent video games.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

#2 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

I thought it couldn't get any crazy and then he went straight 1980's, anti-Twisted Sister by blaming music videos. Fucking hilarious. What a joke. It took them a whole week to come up with the idea that everyone was joking they'd have, and they took the time to blame everything else? Great.

Here's a link to a live blog.

#3 Edited by Sanity (1949 posts) -

Honestly, i agree with just about everything besides the video games/music thing. And fact is its just a headline grabber, sorry but you cant stand to protect peoples rights and then take them away on other things. I think he meant that kids shouldn't be playing them more then anything though.

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

#4 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Oh dip, the NRA is run by a bunch of stupid fucks? I'm shocked.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The NRA continues to be completely full of shit.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

Yeah Mortal Kombat did the gun violence.

Scorpion pulls out that Tec-9 and says "get over here".

#7 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Harpoon and fireball control now!

#8 Posted by golguin (4005 posts) -

I just heard the news. I guess I was being naive to think anything intelligent would come out of the NRA. Let's starting banning video games and music you guys.

#9 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Scorpion pulls out that Tec-9 and says "get over here".

That's a twist on the franchise I might get behind, actually.

#10 Posted by falling_fast (2263 posts) -

he would say that. anything to distract the media from the gun issue.

#11 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Yeah Mortal Kombat did the gun violence. Scorpion pulls out that Tec-9 and says "get over here".

Gat over here.

Yeah, I agree with everybody in this thread. Nonsense dillicky.

#12 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Perfect response from contributing editor to Vanity Fair Kurt Eichenwald: "The people bemoaning movie violence as a cause of slaughters are same ones using movie fantasies to describe how shooters could be stopped."

#13 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

"Guns don't kill people, fictional video game characters do."

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow

"Guns don't kill people, fictional video game characters do."

And music videos. Because people still watch those.
#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Degringolade said:

@Brodehouse: Harpoon and fireball control now!

That's bullshit. What we need to do is identify unstable individuals before they even get access to spike pits and pools of acid.

#16 Posted by ShaggE (6625 posts) -

I can't even be angry... blaming music videos is downright adorable. I just want to pinch his cheeks and pat him on the head. Poor guy's probably picketing nonexistent 2 Live Crew shows and calling up stores to ask that they stop selling that new "Wolfenstein 3D" game.

#17 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1262 posts) -

It is kinda funny how retarded the NRA is.

#18 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

He's right. COD is a casual trash pos

#19 Posted by Wikitoups (866 posts) -
@Brodehouse
Yeah Mortal Kombat did the gun violence.

Scorpion pulls out that Tec-9 and says "get over here".
yo dont you see strykers winning pose he straight up dump some in the air!
#20 Posted by wafflez (530 posts) -

I blame Stryker.

#21 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

Honestly, i agree with just about everything besides the video games/music thing. And fact is its just a headline grabber, sorry but you cant stand to protect peoples rights and then take them away on other things. I think he meant that kids shouldn't be playing them more then anything though.

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

Columbine had armed guards. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

#22 Posted by stryker1121 (1564 posts) -

Mortal Kombat and music videos? Did this guy time travel here from 1992?

#23 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

"[Politicians] have bragged about gun free school zones. They post signs advertising them. And in doing so, they tell every insane killer in America that schools are the safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk." 
  
 
This whole thing is just a bunch of straw man arguments.

#24 Edited by Sanity (1949 posts) -

@Degringolade said:

@dudy80 said:

Honestly, i agree with just about everything besides the video games/music thing. And fact is its just a headline grabber, sorry but you cant stand to protect peoples rights and then take them away on other things. I think he meant that kids shouldn't be playing them more then anything though.

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

Columbine had armed guards. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

No one said it would solve everything, but it would go a long way in helping deter these things. Yes the NRA makes there fair share of dumbass comments but i can laugh at there ignorance as its harmless, there not gonna spend money lobbying for game bans obviously. Taking guns from law abiding people isn't.

Also, the crazies ere out in force with there signs, i thought that one dude was gonna stoke out or something.

#25 Posted by Puddlesworth (59 posts) -

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

#26 Posted by golguin (4005 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@Degringolade said:

@dudy80 said:

Honestly, i agree with just about everything besides the video games/music thing. And fact is its just a headline grabber, sorry but you cant stand to protect peoples rights and then take them away on other things. I think he meant that kids shouldn't be playing them more then anything though.

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

Columbine had armed guards. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/columbine.cd/Pages/DEPUTIES_TEXT.htm

No one said it would solve everything, but it would go a long way in helping deter these things. Yes the NRA makes there fair share of dumbass comments but i can laugh at there ignorance as its harmless, there not gonna spend money lobbying for game bans obviously. Taking guns from law abiding people isn't.

Also, the crazies ere out in force with there signs, i thought that one dude was gonna stoke out or something.

Call me crazy, but I feel that preventing the crazy guy from being able to get their hands on a gun is better to a shootout with an armed guard at a school to see if he can get taken down. Being the gun enthusiast that you are you should be aware of the huge advantage the crazy has on the armed guard since he'll be going in knowing he needs to kill the guard first.

#27 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHA holy fuck. Nope. No. You lose, old man. Pathetic.

#28 Posted by CornBREDX (5795 posts) -
This is classic scape goating. Poorly done, but scape goating none the less. 
 
@dudy80 said:

...

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

There were armed guards in my high school.
#29 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

RT elisefoley: I played a ton of Mario Kart as a kid, which is why I'm always throwing bananas out of my car.

#30 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

UGH.

#31 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

I was doing something in another room when I heard, "games like Slaughterhouse and Mortal Kombat". I was like wuuu? Then I did a double take and went it to see what was going on. Then some guy ran in holding an anti-NRA sign and was shaking like a mother fucker. I agreed with the NRA that guns aren't the problem. Then he pissed me off when trying to pass the blame back on to media and games.

The worst part was the hypocritical nature of passing the blame. I fucking hate hypocrites, especially when they do it for political reasons.

So fuck the NRA coming straight from the underground.

#32 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

...

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

There were armed guards in my high school.

That's fucking horrific.

#33 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

It doesnt surprise me, the NRA hasn't been about it's members for a long time, it is controlled by the lobbyists payed by the gun companys. The majority of the NRA want tougher gun control, but the manufactors just want to sell as many guns as they can.

I would love to see another Thank You for Smoking movie based on the Gun Lobbyist in that movie.

#34 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1803 posts) -

Haha, Wayne LaPierre....just reminded me of this.

#35 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

It's notable that LaPierre did not call out the most obvious video game franchise he could have included. I imagine realistic military shooters do a fair amount to drive the NRA's membership dues.

#36 Posted by Village_Guy (2656 posts) -

Well, this seems desperate, it's like he can feel how the support for his cause is dwindling, all the while the rest of the world is shaking its head at him.

Hopefully America will see the light and get with the rest of the modern world when looking at gun laws, but I doubt it.

#37 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Degringolade said:

It's notable that LaPierre did not call out the most obvious video game franchise he could have included. I imagine realistic military shooters do a fair amount to drive the NRA's membership dues.

Yeah, I mean... Warfighter isn't getting DLC to coincide with that movie about the Bin Laden operation or anything. Seriously, though.. he picked Mortal Kombat and Slaughterhouse over Call of Duty?! There aren't even guns in MK! This is just jokes level stupid.

#38 Posted by Sanity (1949 posts) -

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

...

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

There were armed guards in my high school.

That's fucking horrific.

Had a armed cop in mine too, and he did break up quite a few fights... Whats so bad about that exactly? You people do realize theres other ways to harm someone besides a gun right? Ever heard of bombs?

#39 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Degringolade said:

It's notable that LaPierre did not call out the most obvious video game franchise he could have included. I imagine realistic military shooters do a fair amount to drive the NRA's membership dues.

Yeah, I mean... Warfighter isn't getting DLC to coincide with that movie about the Bin Laden operation or anything. Seriously, though.. he picked Mortal Kombat and Slaughterhouse over Call of Duty?! There aren't even guns in MK! This is just jokes level stupid.

violent video games like pong and spacewar!

#40 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

The NRA is desperate and doesn't have a leg to stand on.

#41 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

...

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

There were armed guards in my high school.

That's fucking horrific.

Had a armed cop in mine too, and he did break up quite a few fights... Whats so bad about that exactly? You people do realize theres other ways to harm someone besides a gun right? Ever heard of bombs?

The idea that guns shouldnt be controlled because, hey, you can hurt people with lots of stuff, is seriously nutso.

#42 Posted by Matterless (330 posts) -

Mortal Kombat now trending on Twitter worldwide.

#43 Edited by MHumphreys89 (724 posts) -

Goddamn Stryker.

#44 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -

@FourWude said:

He's right. COD is a casual trash pos

HURRR DURRRR

#45 Posted by TheHT (11661 posts) -

Why didn't he blame Call of Duty? I hear it's really popular and all about that pew pew.

#46 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

His answer to the problem? More guns!!!!

His statement is almost a parody of itself.

#47 Posted by golguin (4005 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

...

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

There were armed guards in my high school.

That's fucking horrific.

Had a armed cop in mine too, and he did break up quite a few fights... Whats so bad about that exactly? You people do realize theres other ways to harm someone besides a gun right? Ever heard of bombs?

Have you heard of a drive by bombing?

I had a friend in high school get his house shot up while they were minding their own business. He got shot in the leg and his brother was shot in the stomach. They both survived. Don't give me some "you can kill people with bombs and knifes too bullshit." I know you come from a world where guns are a fun hobby, but I live in a place where guns actually kill people. I live in a place where my and my cousin can be playing tennis and a gang member can walk up to us asking us "Do you gangbang? Where you from?" and decide if he wants to blow us away right there. Do you know what it feels like to be in a situation like that? I'm tired of reading bullshit from people who have no idea of the real consequences of gun violence and sit in their chairs thinking of clever ways to act like guns aren't the problem.

#48 Posted by gaminghooligan (1477 posts) -

@wafflez said:

I blame Stryker.

This is something all people can agree with.

#49 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@Hitchenson said:

@dudy80 said:

...

I dont see what would be so wrong with having armed gaurds at our schools, we do it for everything else in this country thats important.

There were armed guards in my high school.

That's fucking horrific.

Had a armed cop in mine too, and he did break up quite a few fights... Whats so bad about that exactly? You people do realize theres other ways to harm someone besides a gun right? Ever heard of bombs?

Wait, what's horrific? I we had a ton of security guards (and a cop or two) in my high school and I graduated 8 years ago. We also had fights almost every day for the first 3 years (by the last year I think they weeded out all the little gang members. I remember one time in P.E. some Oaxacan kid pulled out a 3 foot lead pipe that he carried in his baggy ass pants. When there were fights at my school, the security guards had to run and tackle the people fighting. They had to treat them like grown adults because they would fight so visciously. One kid got his head kicked in from a fight. Like it literally caved it a bit. Once he knocked the guy down he just started kicking him in the head over and over until the security just bum rushed him and slammed him to the floor and it took 2 guys to hold him down.

Good times...

#50 Posted by Trilogy (2682 posts) -

So I was watching Msnbc last night and Rachel Maddow was talking about how the history of the NRA and how they react to shootings in the US. She predicted they were going to blame violent video games and the way we handle our mentally ill in this country.

I have to hand it to her. I really can't stand Maddow, but she kind of called it.