NSA and FBI tell web firms to turn over passwords.

• 67 results
stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Well I guess we have no privacy anymore, that's our future with the government.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

Wellllll this is sort of terrifying. I guess its most likely a good idea now to continually rotate passwords.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mandude

Changing all my passwords to "Fuck you, NSA" or something of the sort.

Though, I'll definitely consider not using US based sites where there are alternatives. GameBomb.ru here I come!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Big brother is watching.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

George Orwell is turning in his grave.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

damn that article is intense..

No Caption Provided

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're nothing but watchdogs.......

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh noes all my secrets will be revealed!

Eh, this is pretty bad, but I have nothing really to hide - still sucks though.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@demoskinos: If they can decrypt them, it won't matter how recently you changed yours.

This is another good reason to never store anything important in "the cloud". Windows 8 bases your login on a MS account managed online. You can store all of your mail and documents in google apps and log into chrome so all of your bookmarks are in one place online and they don't even have to come to your house and look at your computer to see what your writin and where you like to go online. Then there's also the case where there's a record of your entire social life on Facebook because it was easier to use it than calling people or having conversations IRL anymore.

Don't get me wrong, some of these online/cloud services and apps can be really convenient, but it's way too easy for them to become a permanent record of every detail of your life that someone could access with just a couple of passwords.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mushir said:

Considering Orwell never even knew what the internet was, I'd have to doubt that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Well ten+ character passwords including special characters sounds like a better practice than ever.

This is seriously messed up, the gov't is badly overstepping its' constitutional powers here and this will affect my choices come election time. The Patriot Act is the least patriotic Act in American History imo.

Very disappointed.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MariachiMacabre

So basically they're further taking a knife to our Fourth Amendment rights? Fuck them.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mushir said:

Considering Orwell never even knew what the internet was, I'd have to doubt that.

You don't have to understand the concept of the internet to grasp the concept of the government invading people's privacy online or not.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Levio

I'm sure they just want to stop terrorists. There's absolutely no way anyone will use those passwords for any other reason.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandude said:

Changing all my passwords to "Fuck you, NSA" or something of the sort.

Though, I'll definitely consider not using US based sites where there are alternatives. GameBomb.ru here I come!

Oh yeah because neo-communist Russian government would never abuse their power.... ;)

It's actually probably even easier for the NSA to get info from those guys.

NSA: "Here's 100 grand and a bottle of vodka."

Russian website Ceo: "Please, help yourself!"

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee

They're no better than fucking gangsters. All of them.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the government has been cracking down on hackers and such but at the same time saying they have the legal authority to pretty much do the exact same thing? Man am I glad I live in Canada but then again I doubt that would stop the American government for going after me if they choose to...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically they're further taking a knife to our Fourth Amendment rights? Fuck them.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio said:

I'm sure they just want to stop terrorists. There's absolutely no way anyone will use those passwords for any other reason.

Spoiler: they are the terrorists.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spraynardtatum

God Dammit....... What the hell is happening?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

So... what about people outside of the US that have passwords stored in US companies? Say the FBI or NSA wants the passwords of a multinational forum like Giantbomb, for whatever reason. Isn't demanding the private information of someone outside of the country outside of what they can do?

On top of that, isn't keeping the passwords for every major online company with two government organizations a bad idea? And not just a regular bad idea, a massively fucking stupid bad idea!? Maybe that's just me being paranoid.

Most companies seem to be saying that they aren't releasing that info until they've examined the legal documents through and through, though I don't doubt that if the government wants it, they'll get it.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHumanDove

Thanks MURICA

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the horrific abuse of power and complete disregard for any constitutional rights, what shocks me about this is how inept the fed computer guys must be.

There are fucking teenagers who have done impressive shit like hack Scarlett Johansen's phone just so they could see a photo of her butt. That kind of shit happens all the time, without forcing citizens to divulge other citizen's private info.

Why the fuck not just hire them?!? And from stuff I've seen, if you have the tech and the time it's not too hard to crack most people's passwords. Illegal sure, but inconspicuous, and at least it doesn't affect everyone.

It's like the feds just try some variations on "Xx69Jihad420xX" and then just say, "Welp, we're stumped".

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shouldn't the "passwords" they have stored be hashed? You should never store the actual password.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Well, at least the companies all push back, arguing that the government does not have the right to impersonate another person. Very out of line for them to even ask. Still, far as we can tell they have only asked and have not received. Yay mega evil corporations?

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

This is seriously messed up, the gov't is badly overstepping its' constitutional powers here and this will affect my choices come election time.

Presidential elections, you mean? Where you choose between Puppet A and Puppet B and be taken advantage of either way?

Or some sort of state elections where the same thing probably happens?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... what about people outside of the US that have passwords stored in US companies? Say the FBI or NSA wants the passwords of a multinational forum like Giantbomb, for whatever reason. Isn't demanding the private information of someone outside of the country outside of what they can do?

On top of that, isn't keeping the passwords for every major online company with two government organizations a bad idea? And not just a regular bad idea, a massively fucking stupid bad idea!? Maybe that's just me being paranoid.

Most companies seem to be saying that they aren't releasing that info until they've examined the legal documents through and through, though I don't doubt that if the government wants it, they'll get it.

According to a lot of what Snowden has said about this stuff, things that have also been corroborated by other sources inside the NSA, it's not just the US doing it - all of the info is shared with our allies who in turn are doing the same thing.

Can't legally spy on Americans? Get the British to do it.

Can't legally spy on the British? Get Canada to do it

and so on......

This sums it up pretty good (also a good watch just in general)

Loading Video...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

This is seriously messed up, the gov't is badly overstepping its' constitutional powers here and this will affect my choices come election time.

Presidential elections, you mean? Where you choose between Puppet A and Puppet B and be taken advantage of either way?

Or some sort of state elections where the same thing probably happens?

do you have a better idea?

I'll write somebody in if I have to.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is there no alternative, parallel internet, free of government and corporate influence? Not enough disaffected nerds to make it happen?

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FourWude

This is an act of war.

And my name's John J Rambo.

I didn't want this. But you wouldn't let it go. You just wouldn't let it go.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By jakob187

@slag said:

Well ten+ character passwords including special characters sounds like a better practice than ever.

This is seriously messed up, the gov't is badly overstepping its' constitutional powers here and this will affect my choices come election time. The Patriot Act is the least patriotic Act in American History imo.

Very disappointed.

You act like what you think or vote during election time still matters. That's cute.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By spraynardtatum

Why do you need to be a mountain man to get some goddamn privacy in this country...world....goddammit.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished Orwell's 1984, ten seconds ago.

How fucking depressing.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they're only watching your internet right now and aren't making plans to block anything yet.

... Fuck the UK, too. :/

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shinjin977

@mariachimacabre said:

At least they're only watching your internet right now and aren't making plans to block anything yet.

and people tell me I was irrational to be skeptical of the kinect... fuck this world

also I find it extremely disturbing that ALL OF THIS is perfectly legal. I mean WTF? When this shit spread to Japan I would have no idea where to live.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This stuffs getting ridiculous, i hate the fucking government.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@flipperdesert said:

@mariachimacabre said:

and people tell me I was irrational to be skeptical of the kinect... fuck this world

also I find it extremely disturbing that ALL OF THIS is perfectly legal. I mean WTF? When this shit spread to Japan I would have no idea where to live.

What the NSA is doing is most certainly not legal. It's clearly against the fourth amendment to our constitution that says we have a right to freedom from unwarranted search and seizure. It's being disputed in courts across the country as well as Congress.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By Tireyo

Well, this doesn't surprise me.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now in theory, if a website is storing users passwords in the accepted secure way (not storing the actual password at all, but storing a salted hash of the password) it should be impossible to get plaintext passwords out of the database. A hash is one-way. It would, however, be possible to find some password that would hash to the same thing, especially if you know the salt (which has to be accessible in plaintext somehow). The article does go into that though, which is cool.

Anyway, in general, government or not, don't use the same password on more than one site and if possible use 2 factor auth.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

Why is there no alternative, parallel internet, free of government and corporate influence? Not enough disaffected nerds to make it happen?

Time to start up a legit Giant Bomb BBS. Can only access it through phone line.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977 said:

@flipperdesert said:

@mariachimacabre said:

What the NSA is doing is most certainly not legal. It's clearly against the fourth amendment to our constitution that says we have a right to freedom from unwarranted search and seizure. It's being disputed in courts across the country as well as Congress.

Well that's good to know. I only went to the US for 4 years of college you see. Thanks for the info. Good to know good old 'mericans are not taking this laying down.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jams said:

@rebgav said:

You mean WIRE TAPPED phone lines?!?!?!??!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@rebgav said:

fuck.... Alright this is what we do. We develop our own coded language that sounds like a couple truckers flirting with each other then we all get CB radios and communicate that way. For long range transmissions, Vinny gets a high powered shortwave tower to transmit information on a semi hourly basis with coded messages followed by random beeps boops and audio clips from suburban all star tracks.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By viking_funeral

The thought that I can't foresee anything being done to stop this depresses me. People's lives are just too comfortable for anyone to risk action. The government is just the same old people working career positions and playing party politics. Apathy and power-hoarding. It's like a weird combination of 1984 and Brave New World.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen to all you "the sky is falling" pansies.

They probably just want to see all the types of encription so that when the time comes to hunt a terrorist, the goverment is familier with cracking all standards of encription.

Do you really think they are gonna waste their time hacking someone's 4chan account?

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@ajamafalous said:

@jams said:

@rebgav said:

fuck.... Alright this is what we do. We develop our own coded language that sounds like a couple truckers flirting with each other then we all get CB radios and communicate that way. For long range transmissions, Vinny gets a high powered shortwave tower to transmit information on a semi hourly basis with coded messages followed by random beeps boops and audio clips from suburban all star tracks.

I have never been more in favor of something in my life.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

Listen to all you "the sky is falling" pansies.

They probably just want to see all the types of encription so that when the time comes to hunt a terrorist, the goverment is familier with cracking all standards of encription.

Do you really think they are gonna waste their time hacking someone's 4chan account?

The definition of a terrorist changes all the time, it's basically a buzz word they'll use to go after whoever they want. Once they have access to everybody's accounts, whats to stop them from creating whatever evidence they want?

Remember this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

Probably not since we all seem to have collective amnesia when it comes to issues of our civil rights. Group everyone in the tin foil hat brigade and forget even the recent past when a shiny gadget is flashed in our eyes. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

People are afraid of what a 12 year old hacker can do with all their personal info, just imagine what a organization with military power and a political agenda will do with it.

*tips tin foil hat*