• 200 results
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MikeinSC

A US District Judge ruled ALL of Obamacare is unconstitutional which, contrary to the New York Times reporting, this ruling kills every sspect of the bill until a stay is sought and given (which will likely occur today). 

This decision is more sweeping than December's because it argues the mandate is not severable from the rest of the bill, which it legally is not (Democrats removed the severability clause basically all legislation contains during final negotiations). The judge even quoted then-candidate Obama's criticism of the mandate, saying if this is allowed, we can eliminate homelessness by mandating everybody buy a house. The judge also argued that the Commerce Clause cannot be used to regulace inactivity and this bill would, basically, give Congress unlimited power.

This is likely going to be the main case hitting the SCOTUS and I do not see it passing. Justice Kagan should --- but won't --- recuse herself, but Justice Kennedy is basically going to go with popular sentiment and that remains with repealing it. 

Do you agree with this? Can you provide an argument against the decision?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

We seriously need to re-write the constitution every 250 years or so. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but also a lot of horse shit.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Maybe we could get that whole 'blacks are 3/5th of a person' thing out of there, too.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

The mandate that everyone MUST buy healthcare was first suggested by republicans as a way to make sure that people didn't hold off on getting insurance until they got sick (a practice which would essentially break the system). Just thought this was a useful piece of information.

It's a complicated issue, which causes us to ask a lot of questions about how our society should run. Its just a shame that the USA hasn't been able to sort themselves out yet.

Oh yes, I'm Canadian, so this is all just academic from my perspective. Though I would like to express some platitude to those without healthcare.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus said:
" We seriously need to re-write the constitution every 250 years or so. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but also a lot of horse shit. "
It is rewritten on a somewhat regular basis. It's called "an amendment."
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skytylz
@MikeinSC said:
 The judge even quoted then-candidate Obama's criticism of the mandate, saying if this is allowed, we can eliminate homelessness by mandating everybody buy a house.   
That's funny.
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mzuckerm
@MikeinSC: This case probably doesn't matter that much, this was already going to the Supreme Court either way.  My gut tells me the Supreme Court will uphold Obamacare, if for no reason than I think they'd prefer to avoid getting involved in more political issues so recently after the string of controversial cases that have come out in the last 10 years or so (Bush v. Gore, Lawrence v. Texas, and the recent cases involving the 2nd Amendment and campaign finance).  That might be a bad assumption now that I look at that list, but it's how I'm feeling at the moment.  I would imagine it being a 5-4 decision, but I could see it being 6-3 or even 7-2.  Personally, I'm fairly conservative when it comes to how I'd like the Supreme Court to behave (I prefer Congress and the President make the big decisions), so I'd rather them leave this alone.  Commerce clause jurisprudence has come a long way in the last 100 years, and while this would have been unthinkable at the time the Constitution was drafted, it's not that big an expansion over the many other things Congress has their hands in now.

@TooWalrus: It's a nice idea, but if it's this hard to pass laws on areas where we know we need to fix things (healthcare, social security, etc.), then imagine how contentious it would be when we're talking about broad provisions that will govern the country for the next couple centuries.  It is incredibly difficult to even amend a small portion of the US Constitution, so imagine how difficult it would be to write it from scratch.  Plus, we're a much larger country, and a less homogenous country, than we were we started out, both of which would make it harder to reach consensus.
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mzuckerm
@TooWalrus said:
" Maybe we could get that whole 'blacks are 3/5th of a person' thing out of there, too. "
It's not in there anymore.  This is commonly used as evidence that the Constitution was founded in part on racist principles (which is more or less true), but not for the reason most of the people quoting it seem to realize.  You may already know this, but there's actually an interesting history to that piece, because the people wanting blacks recognized as full persons were Southern states.  The North didn't want them to count at all.  This was for purposes of representation in Congress, so more representation for slaves would have perversely meant more pro-slavery representation in Congress.
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The constitution could definitely use a big redo every few hundred years. Stuff like the right to bear arms have done way more harm to the US than good in the last hundred years. Things change, society evolves. This is largely the same problem religions face with their "holy" books. Crap like the Bible looks more and more ridiculous with every decade that passes. People start to interpret it less literally as they realize it's a bunch of junk. This is no different with the constitution.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

Though I understand it's importance as a starting point for all government decisions and recognize the good it has done us, it really annoys me when people hold the Constitution to be infallible and unchangeable. Frankly, it is lazy to call something unconstitutional and thus dismiss it offhand. It sets the precedent, but there is still room to argue why that precedent should be overturned. It must be challenged in order to progress.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BigLemon

There are still plenty of entities upheld by the Constitution that are very much relevant even today.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

this is an outrage! how can it be unconstitutional to force people to buy something!?!?

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikeinSC

@ slaker: Nobody is arguing it is infallible or unchangeable. The Founders wrote a method of changing it into the Constitution. But changing it is difficult as it should be. If this isnt unconstitutional, then what limits exist for Federal power? If the national government can force you to buy a service from a third party to simply exist, it can do anything. Calling it unconstitutional is not lazy if it does violate the Constitution.

@toowalrus: It was removed with the passing of the 13th thru 15th Amendments. 

@mzucker: I count 4 almost guaranteed votes for repeal. 4 almost guaranteed to keep (including Kagan who, again, should recuse herself but likely will not). And given the widespread and constant hatred for the bill, I see Kennedy voting to repeal. And while I do@not love coujrts getting involved, that members of Congress feel there are no limits to their power, then it is a necessity. cp Commerce Clause jurisprudence has been abused, but if it is allowed to impact inactivity for something that legally cannot be sold across state lines, then the Feds have limitless power. 

That would be bad. 

@rolyat: Do not disagree on occasional Constitutional Amendments, but the 2d Amendment is the one rhat keeps your rights protected. Governments always seek to disarm the populace for a reason.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Berserker976

repeal of this bill would take away my insurance, therefore I am against that happening

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By strangone

I agree that the mandate, which isn't in effect yet, is a stupid way to increase the number of people with healthcare coverage. But the US got the only health care bill they could get, thanks to their political system. There are still good things in that bill like consumer protections and expanded Medicaid that shouldn't be thrown out.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ninjakiller

The whole thing should be thrown out and Obama should pass by presidential decree Medicare part E.  Anyone who wants to purchase a low-cost Medicare plan should be able to do so.   

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mzuckerm
@MikeinSC:@MikeinSC said:
"@mzucker: I count 4 almost guaranteed votes for repeal. 4 almost guaranteed to keep (including Kagan who, again, should recuse herself but likely will not). And given the widespread and constant hatred for the bill, I see Kennedy voting to repeal. And while I do@not love coujrts getting involved, that members of Congress feel there are no limits to their power, then it is a necessity. cp Commerce Clause jurisprudence has been abused, but if it is allowed to impact inactivity for something that legally cannot be sold across state lines, then the Feds have limitless power.  That would be bad."
I count 4 guaranteed to uphold (Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer, Ginsburg).  They all agree that Congress has broad powers, and they also more or less agree with the underlying policy.  I think Kennedy is more likely than not to vote to uphold as well, given that he's been a pretty squishy conservative.  John Roberts may be the next likeliest to peel off, but it's probably folly to bet too strongly on what Kennedy or a couple of the conservatives might do.  I do expect to see a strong dissent from a Scalia or Thomas or Alito, but one of them may surprise us.  As for the limitless power argument, well, that's a bit of an overstatement but it's close enough to being true.  There's very little that the federal government can't stick its hands into, absent a clear Constitutional prohibition.  That's just the way the Constitution has been interpreted over time.  I find this very frustrating at times, but I have to acknowledge that it has been a good thing from time to time too (think Brown v. Board).
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ninjakiller
@mzuckerm said:
" @MikeinSC:@MikeinSC said:
"@mzucker: I count 4 almost guaranteed votes for repeal. 4 almost guaranteed to keep (including Kagan who, again, should recuse herself but likely will not). And given the widespread and constant hatred for the bill, I see Kennedy voting to repeal. And while I do@not love coujrts getting involved, that members of Congress feel there are no limits to their power, then it is a necessity. cp Commerce Clause jurisprudence has been abused, but if it is allowed to impact inactivity for something that legally cannot be sold across state lines, then the Feds have limitless power.  That would be bad."
I count 4 guaranteed to uphold (Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer, Ginsburg).  They all agree that Congress has broad powers, and they also more or less agree with the underlying policy.  I think Kennedy is more likely than not to vote to uphold as well, given that he's been a pretty squishy conservative.  John Roberts may be the next likeliest to peel off, but it's probably folly to bet too strongly on what Kennedy or a couple of the conservatives might do.  I do expect to see a strong dissent from a Scalia or Thomas or Alito, but one of them may surprise us.  As for the limitless power argument, well, that's a bit of an overstatement but it's close enough to being true.  There's very little that the federal government can't stick its hands into, absent a clear Constitutional prohibition.  That's just the way the Constitution has been interpreted over time.  I find this very frustrating at times, but I have to acknowledge that it has been a good thing from time to time too (think Brown v. Board). "
You're assuming the current incarnation of the court simply isn't a political entity.  You naive fool
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mzuckerm
@ninjakiller: I fully acknowledge that the Court is a political entity.  But it's been that way for a long time (read up on John Marshall).  This is nothing new.  Also, if you have problems with Scalia and Thomas speaking at a Koch Foundation event, surely you've got problems with Ginsburg partaking in any decision where the ACLU has a dog in the fight, right?  After all, she used to work for them.  Or do you only object to political activities of those you disagree with?
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I don't care what happens to the bill, as long as they keep the part where they allow people to get healthcare with pre-existing conditions, and probably the part where I can stay on my parent's healthplan until 26 or whatever.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeinSC

@berzerker: I am sorry if it negatively impacts you, but the bill is something that has to be stopped. My premiums went up 12% this year for IDENTICAL coverage due to this bill. That is not going to work. 

@strangeone: They can propose those parts individually. 

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ninjakiller
@mzuckerm: So a judge working in the past for an organization and no longer affiliated with said organization should be held at the same exact level as a judge currently partaking in a blatantly partisan activity?
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ninjakiller
@AnimZero said:
" I don't care what happens to the bill, as long as they keep the part where they allow people to get healthcare with pre-existing conditions, and probably the part where I can stay on my parent's healthplan until 26 or whatever. "
How noble of you, only caring about what directly affects you, and not giving a shit about the rest.  
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The one thing that confuses me about Obamacare is this: 

You will be a criminal if you don't have some sort of health insurance. 

That seems a little messed up to me. Why not just do it like everyone else? Nationalised/Universal health care systems are a good thing. They mean paying a bit more in taxes, but I don't mind paying those taxes when it means if I break my arm or I get hit by a car (again) that when I wake up I won't have to worry about charges and fees incurred for daring to want treatment. I don't think anyone would mind privatized firms still existing. I just wish people could stop thinking like capitalists for one moment and think about the benefit of their brothers and sisters. If you're too selfish to think about that, then think about how it could benefit you and yours. 

/rant

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeinSC

@ninja: One of the Justices was WH counsel during a lot of the deliberations of this bill. I give her no chance of recusing herself as she should. That the Court is political, as said previously, has been the case since 1800 when judicial review emerged out of judicial fiat.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ninjakiller
@KingWilly: It's the best democrats could do.  It's essentially a republican bill from 15 years ago, and that's why it's so terrible.  
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
@ninjakiller said:
" @AnimZero said:
" I don't care what happens to the bill, as long as they keep the part where they allow people to get healthcare with pre-existing conditions, and probably the part where I can stay on my parent's healthplan until 26 or whatever. "
How noble of you, only caring about what directly affects you, and not giving a shit about the rest.   "
Of course I care about the rest of it, but the primary parts I care about are the ones that will directly impact my life.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikeinSC

@King: I would prefer to keep the system that generates the lion's share of medical advances in the world. Poverty equality is still poverty. 85% of the people are covered. 

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@MikeinSC: Lion's share of medical advances? I hope you can back that up with some sort of documentation. It seems that most of the major advances in medical science have come out of europe in the last ten years. 

I know it's easy to talk tough about these things until you run into a brick wall in a similar situation. I also never said privatized health care should be abolished, but for those %15 of people who can't get treatment, some basic human dignity should be afforded to them. Medicine is not meant to be withheld from people, or reserved for only the people who can afford it. I suspect you know this, but you've got this warped idea that because medicine in the United States is privatized, that it means things go better. Maybe they do, if you're white and middle class or higher. 
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mzuckerm
@ninjakiller:  She led their legal team and worked on their behalf for many years.  If you think that just because she puts on a robe she's completely impartial when the ACLU takes sides in a case, and yet Scalia isn't impartial because he happened to speak once at an event, well...  you're out of your mind.  Frankly, it doesn't bother me that much that Scalia speaks to conservative groups.  We all know he's conservative, why should we pretend otherwise?  At the same time, we all know Ginsburg approaches the law from a different perspective.  That's what drew them to work for different entities before they joined the Court.  To pretend that somehow speaking at an organization that shares their well-known views somehow makes them beholden to that group is pretty fucking naive.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31  Edited By grilledcheez
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@MikeinSC said:
" @berzerker: I am sorry if it negatively impacts you, but the bill is something that has to be stopped. My premiums went up 12% this year for IDENTICAL coverage due to this bill. That is not going to work. "
Please detail that increase as a dollar value, then divide it by 365 and tell me how much more that 12% is actually costing you per day.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

If the health care bill is somehow overturned does this mean I won't have to buy car insurance either?  And I still don't understand how the public option didn't make it in.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By melcene
@MikeinSC:  

The thing is that both sides of the current legal battle (that just received the decision in FL) must agree to fast track it to the Supreme Court rather than going through 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. 

I think that the WH side will not agree to fast track it because they will want to prolong a possible decision against them at least until after the 2012 elections.   If they played their cards right, even if Obama loses Obamacare, he won't have lost his "legacy" before the next election, and can still use that during campaigning to say "Look what I did, and look what those nasty Republicans are trying to do!" 

@KingWilly said:
" The one thing that confuses me about Obamacare is this:  You will be a criminal if you don't have some sort of health insurance.  That seems a little messed up to me. Why not just do it like everyone else? Nationalised/Universal health care systems are a good thing. They mean paying a bit more in taxes, but I don't mind paying those taxes when it means if I break my arm or I get hit by a car (again) that when I wake up I won't have to worry about charges and fees incurred for daring to want treatment. I don't think anyone would mind privatized firms still existing. I just wish people could stop thinking like capitalists for one moment and think about the benefit of their brothers and sisters. If you're too selfish to think about that, then think about how it could benefit you and yours.  /rant "
It won't be a criminal charge, it will be a civil charge that the IRS is supposed to be the one enforcing.  The reason they don't do it like everyone else and use taxes is because they've already taxed the hell out of us to pay for propping up companies that the government should have kept their nose out of. 

Also, something that people don't even realize, is that we won't see the full effect of the bill as it stands now, hell we won't even see the mandate fines, until AFTER 2012 elections.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Slaker117
@MikeinSC:  I don't disagree. My problem isn't with the ruling, it's with people who use "unconstitutional" as their entire argument against something. As soon as an issue challenges the Constitution it always seem that there are swarms of them who just scream that. It's ridiculous considering that it was written so that it can be adapted.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeeGee

Oh America, when will you wake up and join the rest of the modern world with your heatlh care.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ninjakiller
@mzuckerm: Wow.  I'm talking about current/ongoing corruption and you're banging the pulpit and screaming about an organization she no longer has any involvement with.  She led the ACLU legal team IN THE PAST.  She's not currently flying out to speak at ACLU events.   As Scalia and Thomas are currently doing, and not just attending said events, but held up as a fundraising tool.  
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@DeeGee said:
"Oh America, when will you wake up and join the rest of the modern world with your heatlh care. "

NEVER!  Don't forget people jumped on Michelle Obama when she encouraged people to eat more fruits and vegetables.  See it's american to deny people healthcare while you fatten them up.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By melcene
@FiestaUnicorn said:
" @DeeGee said:
"Oh America, when will you wake up and join the rest of the modern world with your heatlh care. "
NEVER!  Don't forget people jumped on Michelle Obama when she encouraged people to eat more fruits and vegetables.  See it's american to deny people healthcare while you fatten them up. "
Is it a requirement where either of you have to go out and buy your own health care insurance policy, or else receive a penalty?  Not likely.  As someone else said, even in most other countries with universal health care, it's not written up with a mandate like that.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikeinSC
@KingWilly said:
" @MikeinSC: Lion's share of medical advances? I hope you can back that up with some sort of documentation. It seems that most of the major advances in medical science have come out of europe in the last ten years.   I know it's easy to talk tough about these things until you run into a brick wall in a similar situation. I also never said privatized health care should be abolished, but for those %15 of people who can't get treatment, some basic human dignity should be afforded to them. Medicine is not meant to be withheld from people, or reserved for only the people who can afford it. I suspect you know this, but you've got this warped idea that because medicine in the United States is privatized, that it means things go better. Maybe they do, if you're white and middle class or higher.  "
King, you don't find it odd that whenever a new disease is found, the world waits for the CDC to actually tell them what it is and how to resolve it. There is a reason for that. 

Do you want qualified people to treat you? You have to make it worth it. They already have huge malpractice premiums to pay in the first place.  It is easy to say "this should be given to people" when it is not your sacrifice to make. 

@grilledcheez: Sorry, can you point to me opining on the greatness of Bush? Obama being a dipshit does not make Bush great.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By melcene
@KingWilly said:
" @MikeinSC: Lion's share of medical advances? I hope you can back that up with some sort of documentation. It seems that most of the major advances in medical science have come out of europe in the last ten years.   I know it's easy to talk tough about these things until you run into a brick wall in a similar situation. I also never said privatized health care should be abolished, but for those %15 of people who can't get treatment, some basic human dignity should be afforded to them. Medicine is not meant to be withheld from people, or reserved for only the people who can afford it. I suspect you know this, but you've got this warped idea that because medicine in the United States is privatized, that it means things go better. Maybe they do, if you're white and middle class or higher.  "
Here's the thing - most hospitals will NOT turn someone away just because they cannot pay.  They're just gonna get a bill in the mail that will end up going to collections.  So it bugs the shit out of me when people say "people can't get treatment."  Because that's bullshit.  People can get treatment.  And they could probably even pay for it if they worked something out and didn't avoid all the hospital bills and calls and calls from the collection agency when it goes to them.
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mzuckerm
@ninjakiller said:
" @mzuckerm: Wow.  I'm talking about current/ongoing corruption and you're banging the pulpit and screaming about an organization she no longer has any involvement with.  She led the ACLU legal team IN THE PAST.  She's not currently flying out to speak at ACLU events.   As Scalia and Thomas are currently doing, and not just attending said events, but held up as a fundraising tool.   "
You're ridiculous.  It's not corruption, it's not even unethical.  As your own article points out, "Scalia and Thomas have been opponents of restrictions on campaign finance likely well before they were guests at a Koch Industry seminar."  So exactly how is this corruption?   

If you get most of your news from the Huffington Post and Climate Progress, I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising this is how you think.
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By actionTACO

lol the judge's opinion is like 10 pages dedicated to the federalist papers, random out of context opinions from the 18th century, and a reference to the boston tea party. what a terrible judge

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Skytylz
@mzuckerm said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" Maybe we could get that whole 'blacks are 3/5th of a person' thing out of there, too. "
It's not in there anymore.  This is commonly used as evidence that the Constitution was founded in part on racist principles (which is more or less true), but not for the reason most of the people quoting it seem to realize.  You may already know this, but there's actually an interesting history to that piece, because the people wanting blacks recognized as full persons were Southern states.  The North didn't want them to count at all.  This was for purposes of representation in Congress, so more representation for slaves would have perversely meant more pro-slavery representation in Congress. "
The north wanted them to count for tax purposes though, but not representation.  
mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mzuckerm
@Skytylz said:
" @mzuckerm said:
" @TooWalrus said:
It's not in there anymore.  This is commonly used as evidence that the Constitution was founded in part on racist principles (which is more or less true), but not for the reason most of the people quoting it seem to realize.  You may already know this, but there's actually an interesting history to that piece, because the people wanting blacks recognized as full persons were Southern states.  The North didn't want them to count at all.  This was for purposes of representation in Congress, so more representation for slaves would have perversely meant more pro-slavery representation in Congress. "
The north wanted them to count for tax purposes though, but not representation.   "
It was a sordid affair all around.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@Skytylz said:
" @mzuckerm said:
" @TooWalrus said:
The north wanted them to count for tax purposes though, but not representation.   "

Either way it's a fairly disgusting conversation.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@melcene said:
" @KingWilly said:
Here's the thing - most hospitals will NOT turn someone away just because they cannot pay.  They're just gonna get a bill in the mail that will end up going to collections.  So it bugs the shit out of me when people say "people can't get treatment."  Because that's bullshit.  People can get treatment.  And they could probably even pay for it if they worked something out and didn't avoid all the hospital bills and calls and calls from the collection agency when it goes to them. "
Wait, so it's OK that people are indebted up to their eyeballs instead?   How exactly does their debt help your economy?  Isn't it smarter to have a broader taxation system which enables Health Care Services for everyone?

It bugs the shit out of me that some American people don't understand that Universal Healthcare is a good and proper thing.  It also amazes me that the US doesn't have that for its own people when almost every other country in the western world does.  Doesn't that make you feel a little backwards as a country?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho

It was mandated plutocracy, which is bullshit. Public Option is fine, voluntary private healthcare is fine, mandatory private (for profit) healthcare under the penalty of fine is the dumbest shit ever.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By NickL
@TooWalrus said:
" We seriously need to re-write the constitution every 250 years or so. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but also a lot of horse shit. "
quoted for truth
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @melcene said:

" @KingWilly said:
Here's the thing - most hospitals will NOT turn someone away just because they cannot pay.  They're just gonna get a bill in the mail that will end up going to collections.  So it bugs the shit out of me when people say "people can't get treatment."  Because that's bullshit.  People can get treatment.  And they could probably even pay for it if they worked something out and didn't avoid all the hospital bills and calls and calls from the collection agency when it goes to them. "
Wait, so it's OK that people are indebted up to their eyeballs instead?   How exactly does their debt help your economy?  Isn't it smarter to have a broader taxation system which enables Health Care Services for everyone? It bugs the shit out of me that some American people don't understand that Universal Healthcare is a good and proper thing.  It also amazes me that the US doesn't have that for its own people when almost every other country in the western world does.  Doesn't that make you feel a little backwards as a country? "
This isn't universal healthcare. Its mandated privatized healthcare run by people trying to make a profit, in a country full of unhealthy people that will be charged probably about 20% of the annual income yearly based on their BMI. So you're forced to pay a lot of money because the company has to make a profit as it insured millions of new at risk people, or you're fined. How exactly does this fix anything? The fine helps pay for the bill, okay, where does helping people out come in? Now they have less money, and fledgling small businesses that can't afford to provide healthcare to their employees have to lay people off. Obama tricked the public option advocates into thinking this is a compromise when it really kind of spits in the face of the average person.