• 66 results
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NathHaw

Twitter is crazy at the moment. I have a little trouble believing that the press is being barred from the police's activity in removing the occupiers from Zuccotti Park. I love my country, but this is unacceptable. I hope this gets tons of media coverage tomorrow.

Here's a vid of some of the goings-on:

http://www.twitvid.com/SGWD9

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tunaburn

the police have no idea what to do. they just barge in batons out and starting macing people and screaming back the fuck up! of course they are going to get a negative response to that. we have the right to protoest and the armed government are always using violence.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monetarydread

It's fucked up what is happening today.  Oakland on Monday and now Zucatti Park.  I wonder what is going to happen next?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Jost1

Maybe if they hung teabags from their hats the cops wouldn't bother them so much. Worked before! Also you'll get more positive media coverage that way!

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tunaburn

seriously.... the tea party protestors openly carried guns and were never even spoken to by police. but thats because the tea party wasnt actually doing anything worthwhile.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NathHaw

I don't really care what the Tea Party did or didn't do. This doesn't have to be a conspiracy thing. Those protests by the Tea Party didn't have the impact individually that Occupy Wall St. has. Fuck the politics of it all. I support the Tea Party's right to protest and the Occupy Wall St.'s right. If the Tea Party had caused as much of an uproar as the OWS thing did in the same kind of circumstances, they'd prob have some police at their doorstep too. They kinda already have.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread

You know.  It's a lot harder to trust the police when they threaten the press with violence if they don't stop covering the incident. 
Edit:  I'm seeing a bunch of garbage trucks being driven into the center of the park to throw away everyone's belongings.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NathHaw

@MonetaryDread said:

You know. It's a lot harder to trust the police when they threaten the press with violence if they don't stop covering the incident. Edit: I'm seeing a bunch of garbage trucks being driven into the center of the park to throw away everyone's belongings.

According to some pretty reputable twitter accounts, the police have thrown away over 5000 books regarding OWS. It's the next best thing to book burnings. WTF is going on?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jost1

@nrh79: It's not a conspiracy, it's pretty much a fact that they got more positive media coverage. But yeah of course they have a right to protest, and so do the Occupy people! Which is why it's weird that they're not being treated the same.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By monetarydread

The people are gathering and marching.  The crowd is at about a 1000 people now and growing.

Edit:  Now there are riot police approaching the mob and the protesters are just standing there chanting. 
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NathHaw

@Jost1: I can't say whether the Tea Party has gotten better coverage overall, because I'm not privy to that. From what I've seen though, the Tea Party has been lambasted. The OWS stuff has been both good and bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's because they are totally different crowds... I mean most of the Tea Party rallies consisted of white male/female in their 30's to 70's. In contrast, the Occupy movement has a younger crowd and the police (and most of society) discriminate based on age.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NathHaw

@Athadam said:

I think it's because they are totally different crowds... I mean most of the Tea Party rallies consisted of white male/female in their 30's to 70's. In contrast, the Occupy movement has a younger crowd and the police (and most of society) discriminate based on age.

Totally believe that.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunExplosions
@nrh79 said:

@Athadam said:

Totally believe that.

Doesn't the tea party just hold big lame tailgate parties with portable stages and lawn chairs? I recall all the footage I've seen of them looking like a really angry picnic.
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inkerman

This is kind of surreal for me, this is the first time I've ever really used the new digital mass media to follow something happening on the other side of the world...

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Nentisys

People who participate in OWS are retarded so this is a good thing.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monetarydread
@Inkerman said:
This is kind of surreal for me, this is the first time I've ever really used the new digital mass media to follow something happening on the other side of the world...
same here.  well the surreal thing at least.  I found out about the tsunami in japan as it happened because I was already reading about the earthquake first.  I think it's amazing what technology has done for the world in the past few years and I look forward to seeing what happens in the future.
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jost1

@Nentisys said:

Yeah man breaking the constitution is all right as long a you dislike the group that's on the receiving end.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The occupy movement hasn't done shit, there's no leadership, probably less then half of them know what they are protesting, they're either there to cause trouble or are hippy dipshits and the ones that do know haven't done anything worthwhile to promote their cause in any positive way. My opinion anyway, I don't think anything will come of this besides violence.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Oginam

After the Arab Spring, this almost looks like nothing more than a long line for a movie or something. I know I missed whatever happened in the park but the energy of this crowd on the live stream is non-existent.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NathHaw

@FunExplosions said:

@nrh79 said:

@Athadam said:

Totally believe that.

Doesn't the tea party just hold big lame tailgate parties with portable stages and lawn chairs? I recall all the footage I've seen of them looking like a really angry picnic.

They often get the same treatment that fans of NASCAR do, judgment. Some stereotypes have merit though, OWS included. Smelly hippies, the lot. ;)

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nentisys

@Jost1 said:

@Nentisys said:

Yeah man breaking the constitution is all right as long a you dislike the group that's on the receiving end.

The part about media not allowed? Yeah thats bullshit. Yet it happens all the time.

@TheVeteran13 said:

The occupy movement hasn't done shit, there's no leadership, probably less then half of them know what they are protesting, they're either there to cause trouble or are hippy dipshits and the ones that do know haven't done anything worthwhile to promote their cause in any positive way. My opinion anyway, I don't think anything will come of this besides violence.

I think you summed up my thoughts about them quite well.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NathHaw

@TheVeteran13 said:

hippy dipshits

I think there's truth in that, but many of them are good people whom I support.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vodun

@TheVeteran13 said:

If only people who knew what they were doing went to protests you'd never see a crowd bigger than 20. Most people go to them because they feel angry about a vague idea which is similar to what they think the protest is about (racism, economic inequality, lack of freedom, too much freedom for some).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nrh79: I'm not saying all of the protesters are but there are quite a few who have no idea what the fuck is going on, they just know they're protesting something and that's good enough for them. Plus they can sit around and smoke splifs all day.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NathHaw

@TheVeteran13 said:

@nrh79: I'm not saying all of the protesters are but there are quite a few who have no idea what the fuck is going on, they just know they're protesting something and that's good enough for them. Plus they can sit around and smoke splifs all day.

Yeah. Agree with that.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By N7
@Vodun: So, then... Is that like me getting mad at Gamestop and then getting a bunch of guys to chill outside of Whiskey Media because vidyo gaems?
Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nentisys

@N7 said:

@Vodun: So, then... Is that like me getting mad at Gamestop and then getting a bunch of guys to chill outside of Whiskey Media because vidyo gaems?

Occupy Whiskey Media 2011.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Oginam

@Nentisys said:

@N7 said:

Occupy Whiskey Media 2011.

You have to tell me if you're a chat dragon.

Also, love the cops giving the live stream guy shit cause he doesn't have press cred.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What is this peaceful protesting shit? Get some Molotov cocktails and AK-47s and bring democracy to the USA.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MaddProdigy

@nrh79: @Jost1: @Athadam:

The Tea Party received immense amounts of political coverage because they weren't actually protesting anything. They are just extremely radical right wing conservatives, pretty much a part of the current system. They fit nicely into the GOP agenda, which is why they essentially became such a big part of the Republican party so quickly. They weren't shut down because they were practically sponsored. OWS on the other hand is a representation of a growing trend, extreme disappointment and loss of faith in government and the socio economic system. Extreme inequality, unnecessary cronyism, they don't have a real message, they just represent a broader sense of foreboding and hopelessness. As a result, they need to be silenced, ignored, and violently shut down before the message can spread.

@TheVeteran13: Just because they "have no message" or "haven't done anything" doesn't mean that people protesting, within their constitutional right, should be shut down. Read the above. No matter what they say, or who participates, it is a GOOD THING that people are disappointed and angry at the government. There are LOTS of things to be angry about.

Pardon me, is there a clause in the Constitution that states we have to negotiate the terms of our protests? That states we have set curfews, set deadlines, and only certain messages can be spread? Only certain people can show up?

ANY protest is superior to NO protest, which is what has been going on the past 10 years.

Edit: By the way, this is Off Topic for sure haha

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NathHaw

@MaddProdigy said:

@nrh79: @Jost1: @Athadam:

They are just extremely radical right wing conservatives,

The majority aren't. Some of the ones on TV are.

Edit: I suppose it depends on how you define extremely and radical.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MaddProdigy: I didn't say they should be shut down or nobody can be angry at the gov't. What I said is that they are directionless they don't have any leadership, there is no well defined goal, they don't even have a list of things that they want changed. They demand change but offer no ideas of how to achieve that change. Protest can be good but it needs some basic level of organization otherwise it's just a mad rabble of people milling about.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I think the reports of sexual assault and what not finally pushed them to get the people out of Zucatti park and so forth.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By benjaebe

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

No Caption Provided

Heard they used LRAD to clear out the park as well. This is ridiculous.

If you ask me, the worst thing the President could do would be to get involved. OWS probably doesn't want him to anyway - all it would do would be politicize the group further, and kneejerk Republicans would immediately condemn it because the President supported it.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Still_I_Cry
Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kapalaka

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

What is this peaceful protesting shit? Get some Molotov cocktails and AK-47s and bring democracy to the USA.

H'UHMERICAH!!!!!!!

This is indeed sad to me. Barring the press is what raises my eyebrows. No matter how ridiculous, we should allow people to protest whatever they choose. The government allows messages of hatred towards the gay community run wild, but some people in a park have to be ousted from a park because of...... a litter problem? In NEW YORK? Come on now. They would've organized a clean-up had they been aware that garbage was worthy of riot police.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tesla

One of these days, those in power will learn to read the writing on the wall before it starts to crumble. In the meantime, let them eat cake!

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Kapalaka said:

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

H'UHMERICAH!!!!!!!

This is indeed sad to me. Barring the press is what raises my eyebrows. No matter how ridiculous, we should allow people to protest whatever they choose. The government allows messages of hatred towards the gay community run wild, but some people in a park have to be ousted from a park because of...... a litter problem? In NEW YORK? Come on now. They would've organized a clean-up had they been aware that garbage was worthy of riot police.

Uh, no it doesn't.

As an example: I am attending a state university in NEW YORK and I can be suspended for saying anything hateful about homosexuals.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#42  Edited By UltorOscariot

Alright, I'll bite, but this isn't going to make me Internet popular. The Tea Parties were covered favorably? Maybe on Fox. The rest of the networks went out of their way to find people dressed up in period costumes or had misspelled or a racist sign. There seems to be some very selective memories here, because I remember a bit more balance, as it was the time 'tea bagger' went mainstream. There was hardly postive connotation to the term. The distinction some people seem to lose is that Tea Party rallies complied with local laws regarding permits and use of public space. They had their rally, no violence or crimes took place(even armed people only came to states with open carry laws in place), and the group prided itself for leaving the areas they gathered in cleaner than it was before they came. As they evolved, they even would surround the racists who did show up with crazy signs and ask them to leave. If you see no distinction between that and OWS, you have blinders on, even when there is a core of good people in OWS with real grievances. They've made a lot of misteps, allowed too many derelicts in who violated too many laws(as evidenced by rapes in the camps)and seem to be unable to condemn and expunge the violent elements that exist within their ranks. When you have occupy Oakland trashing a Whole Foods, people crapping in the streets, wide spread reports of drug use in the camps(who are squatting in public spaces without permits), you have lost the American people, regardless of some's good intentions. (sorry for the wall of text, I had to do this on a mobile)

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlinkyTM

@Jost1 said:

Maybe if they hung teabags from their hats the cops wouldn't bother them so much. Worked before! Also you'll get more positive media coverage that way!

You...realize that Tea Party members didn't occupy a public park, commit statutory rape, use drugs, block streets, resort to violence, and a large number of the protestors were not paid $10 an hour by acorn right?

Unless you're referring to something else.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#45  Edited By UltorOscariot

No doubt to some extent, Bear. But I saw commercials for the Occupy Movement, on prime time television. As the Tea Party was co-opted by the institutionalized right, OWS was by the left. Unless of course you believe you can raise money for prime time ad space by passing the collection buckets at camps, which if you believed that, I would question your gulability. Both movements are pawns. The tea party was just cleaner about it.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BlinkyTM

@ShaggyPolarBear said:

No Caption Provided

Heard they used LRAD to clear out the park as well. This is ridiculous.

Lol, that's pretty funny :P

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By BoG

From what I've seen, the big difference is organization. The Tea Parties were all well planned in advance by some well known... uh, we'll call them journalists. There was no rape, violence, or craziness. OWS has seen plenty of that in the past few weeks. It seems the protesters are less to blame than random hooligans who join them, though. The tea party was a lot more centralized and actually had a focus, which is why it was more organized. 
Or, maybe democrats just like violence? (I realize not all these people are democrats.)

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By renmckormack

@nrh79 said:

I don't really care what the Tea Party did or didn't do. This doesn't have to be a conspiracy thing. Those protests by the Tea Party didn't have the impact individually that Occupy Wall St. has. Fuck the politics of it all. I support the Tea Party's right to protest and the Occupy Wall St.'s right. If the Tea Party had caused as much of an uproar as the OWS thing did in the same kind of circumstances, they'd prob have some police at their doorstep too. They kinda already have.

I agree with this guy. Please protest literally anything and do it as loud as you can. But the state and the city have the right, and you have agreed to give them that right by living here as a citizen, to protect basic public order and health. Whatever it is that the Occupy folks are protesting it seems like, at least in Boston, it has devolved into like a homeless tent city. People are getting sick and like a flu is moving around. They have basically destroyed 100k worth of public property that will have to be fixed. I don't agree with a heavy armed response by the city or the cops. There are levels of response that could work. I feel like alot of the mayors are being whimps, saying on one hand we support you all etc but telling the rest of the city that they will restore order and then letting the cops be the bad guy all or nothing solution. I think there should have been a dialog between city officials and any possible leaders of these things to let them break up peacefully. This just adds more unnecessary tension. THere needs to be more grown ups on both sides talking this out like people who have to live with each other and not as enemies.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikkaQ

@Oginam said:

After the Arab Spring, this almost looks like nothing more than a long line for a movie or something. I know I missed whatever happened in the park but the energy of this crowd on the live stream is non-existent.

Yeah they seem pretty wimpy in comparison. "Owww stop it!" Like really?

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rudyftw

Pretty soon these fuckers are going to hit the wrong person or they're going to hit someone a little too hard and that will be the thing that sparks a revolution and wakes the U.S the fuck up. This angers me so damn much.