Odd Future pull out of the festival (I'm going to) to go to VMAs

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By cookiemonster

" Odd Future would like to formally apologise to both the Leeds festival organisers and the fans attending for having to cancel their appearance. Tyler recently achieved a lifelong dream of being nominated for two MTV VMA’s - New Artist of the Year and Video of the Year for his video ‘Yonkers’, which he directed himself. 

This is an extremely unique situation for a group who are devoted to their fans. 

We have agreed to give all Leeds festival ticket holders a pre-sale option for our next show in the north of England. Again we apologise to anyone who was looking forward to seeing them live, and will do whatever it takes to make it up to them. We look forward to having another opportunity to play Leeds Festival.

Do you think its right that they've pulled out to collect some awards? I've got really mixed feelings about this one. If they were that devoted to their fans, would they have pulled out?  

I'm really gutted about this, as the line up this year isn't particularly good and I was going to go see them. And the fact that they are still playing Reading Festival (All of the same bands play as at Leeds at the same weekend) makes me a bit more annoyed as well. So what do you think? Are the awards worth enough to pull out? Are they betraying their fans?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

@CookieMonster: Hell if they are 'betraying their fans'. The fans are betraying him/them if they feel otherwise. As you can see by his tweets recently, him winning a VMA is one of his life goals, and considering he is nominated for 2 I expect he will take one of them at least. There will be loads of OF shows, most of them better than at bloody Leeds festival, (small sweaty room full to capacity, or a field surrounded by hipsters and public school kids?) just suck it up dude and spend that £300 on 15 of their club shows.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hondorondo

what? the SAME bands play at two different festivals at the SAME time?

@CookieMonster said:

And the fact that they are still playing Reading Festival (All of the same bands play as at Leeds at the same weekend) makes me a bit more annoyed as well.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cookiemonster
@AlexW00d: You've got a point there. Leeds festival generally has a mixture of people though, and I went last year and saw some great shows. Guess the offering of pre sale for future gigs kind of makes up for it, especially with the amount of ticket touting thats been going on recently. 
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why the Yonkers video is so popular

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

Considering how they fared at T in The Park I'm sure they weren't exactly 100% pissed to be cancelling.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cookiemonster
@hondorondo: They play different days. So maybe one band plays the friday at reading and then plays the sunday at leeds. You can go look at their line ups if I didn't clear that up properly.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cookiemonster
@EuanDewar: They played T in the Park? And what happened? 
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EuanDewar

@CookieMonster: A combination of Tyler being forced to sit down because of his broken foot and their general aggressiveness to the crowd had people throwing bottles at them pretty constantly until Left Brain went fucking mental and they left the stage like 20 minutes early.

Bizarrely later in thee day Tyler tweeted about how he was having a great time in Scotland. It was a weird day basically.

hondorondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hondorondo
@CookieMonster: It makes no sense to me. Whatever I'm no American anyways.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cookiemonster

I really hope they replace Odd Future with Baracka Flacka Flames  

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loose

Uh, am I the only who thinks it's weird for a musician to have a life-long dream of winning/being nominated for a VMA?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EuanDewar

Also I don't think this years R+L is that bad really, Pulp and The Stroke should be fun. You've got some cool quirky sounding main stage choices like Frank Turner and Seasick Steve. Crystal Castles will probably be as mental as ever, The Horrors will probably be great. I don't know, looks like an alright lineup to me.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By SSully

@TheVeteran13 said:

I don't get why the Yonkers video is so popular

Because its dark man! He is deep, for reals.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EuanDewar

@Loose: Tyler has always wanted to be a filmmaker so getting recognized for something he directed is probably pretty big to him.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Loose
@EuanDewar said:

@Loose: Tyler has always wanted to be a filmmaker so getting recognized for something he directed is probably pretty big to him.

I guess that kind of makes sense, but still, the VMAsman.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

@Loose: In the context of a group of dudes from Compton making mixtapes about random fucking stuff its kind of big shit.

Not saying the VMA's are in anyway important but any recognition for them is probably good stuff.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Loose
@EuanDewar: You're probably right, I guess not everyone is as much of a cynical bastard as I am.
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SSully: My understanding of the video is that he was practicing for Fear Factor but then he couldn't keep the roach down (disappointment #1) then his theapist told him fear factor was cancelled (disappointment #2) and then he hangs himself because he couldn't live in a fear factor-less world. 
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Bruce
@CookieMonster:  

Odd Future needs the publicity of the VMA awards, so can't hate on them too much for it.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PeasantAbuse

So does this mean that he won at least one of the awards?  You wouldn't think they would pull out of a festival just for being nominated.

Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pandasaurus

that really sucks. Ofwgkta is one on the main reasons i got tickets to Reading- i would be hella pissed if they pulled out of their Saturday slot

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, at least I'm not the only poor bastard to get fucked out of seeing Odd Future.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JayDee

tyler is the only one nominated, can they really not do a show without him?

Dpower94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dpower94
@JayDee said:
tyler is the only one nominated, can they really not do a show without him?
They really can't. His songs are the most popular, and the ones that most fans know. I went to see them at Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago, and it was pretty much 50% Tyler and 50% everyone else, and the "everyone else" songs were pretty much just filler for the Tyler songs, as far as the crowd was concerned. Plus, OF values their "team" quality very much, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the whole Golf Wang at the VMAs.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karl_Boss

Meh

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheFreeMan

The words "Odd Future would like to formally apologize" don't make sense to me. I was expecting something more like "Odd Future would like to communicate that all of you should go fuck yourselves with knives and who gives a shit if they don't show up cause KILL THEM ALL" 

perhaps they aren't as crazy as they sound

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlastProcessing

For a guy who made an entire shitty album about how he hates the fact that only white people listen to his music, isn't appearing on the VMA's only gonna make things worse?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hondorondo said:
what? the SAME bands play at two different festivals at the SAME time?

@CookieMonster said:
  And the fact that they are still playing Reading Festival (All of the same bands play as at Leeds at the same weekend) makes me a bit more annoyed as well.
It takes place on the same weekend. If Odd Future were to play Saturday at Leeds, they'd likely have played Friday at Reading.
goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By goth_bacon

It does suck for the people who wanted to see them.  But you can't expect Tyler to miss out on the VMA's. 

On the bright side, you can still see The Strokes!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BraveToaster

You should be happy that Tyler's receiving an award. Sure, it's only a VMA, but there are several artists out there that don't get anything for their work. 

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks that he's going to lose to Wiz Khalifa.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Vinny_Says

As long as he gets on stage and yells: ODD FUTURE IS FOR THE CHILDREN in an expensive suit during Katy Perry's speech it'll all be worth it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By AlexW00d

@SecondPersonShooter said:

Who?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By captain_clayman
@Bruce said:
@CookieMonster:   Odd Future needs the publicity of the VMA awards, so can't hate on them too much for it.
exactly.  they need to be recognized.  i think once they win VMA's people will start to take them seriously, and then they might start to take themselves seriously and work on making the best stuff they can.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlexW00d said:

Who?

NO. NO. NO!!!! If he lost to Adele I'd be fine with it. She has actual talent. Wiz Khalifa is a one-note, generic, Cypress Hill-wannabe hack. He built his entire career on the fact that he smokes weed. As someone who also smokes weed you'd think I'd be fine with this, but most of his fans only like him because "HE SMOKES WEED I DO TOO HUR HUR." He's fucking trash, simple as that, and after he stole the title of Domo Genesis' (he's the token stoner rapper of Odd Future) "Rolling Papers" album it'd hurt even worse to see that fucking asshole win that award. Wiz Khalifa has a dumb fucking name, dumb fucking hair, dumb fucking lyrics, and more than likely knows nothing about directing his own shit. He just goes on the mic and rhymes roll with hoes and dough, layering on the weed references in place of actual substances. He's a disgrace to Marijuana users everywhere and one of the worst rappers I've ever heard. Fuck, why am I even getting so worked up, it's the fucking VMA's.

Oh, and if you still don't know who Khalifa is just do a youtube search on "Black and Yellow". Chances are you've heard it already anyway.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EuanDewar

Fuck man, if Tyler lost to wiz he'd go fucking mental. Probably stab that motherfucker backstage.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CookieMonster said:

I really hope they replace Odd Future with Baracka Flacka Flames  

presidential swag

@Everyones_A_Critic
yeah exactly!  Wiz is really untalented.  his laid back stoner flow sucks ass and his lyrics arent worth giving a fuck about.  the only good thing you could say about his music is that some of the beats in his songs sound good but you can say that about Drake too...  fuck the VMA's and the Grammy's too.  i mean how does 2Pac lose to Coolio for the best hip hop album for the 1997 Grammys?  that was a year after he died and ill admit that All Eyez on Me was probably one of the worst albums he released while he was alive but still!  the man died and he was a legend!  my opinion might be biased because im a big 2Pac fan but i recognize that hes not the best and hes far from that position.  ok im going really off topic here.  im just ranting my ass off
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@EuanDewar said:

Fuck man, if Tyler lost to wiz he'd go fucking mental. Probably stab that motherfucker backstage.

Wiz Khalifa is fucking awful. The little bit of Odd Future I've heard is much much better than the bullshit Wiz Khalifa makes. I'm ashamed to say that shitty artist is from my homestate.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikkaQ

Man I was gonna check Odd Future out, but anyone who's life goals are to win an MTV award is a joke. VMAs mean nothing.

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MariachiMacabre said:

@EuanDewar said:

Wiz Khalifa is fucking awful. The little bit of Odd Future I've heard is much much better than the bullshit Wiz Khalifa makes. I'm ashamed to say that shitty artist is from my homestate.

I agree that Wiz is awful, but I honestly think he is going to win Best New Artist at the VMAs.  Any of the other nominees are better than Wiz.  

Have you guys listened to Big Sean?  I feel like he's Wiz Khalifa if Wiz could rap about things that weren't weed. It's actually pretty decent pop-rap.
Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Warihay

Sad to hear this for you guys who are excited to see them. I just got tickets yesterday to see them in October. Can't fuckin wait!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Cirdain

That was such a confusing forum title.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@MariachiMacabre said:

@EuanDewar said:

I agree that Wiz is awful, but I honestly think he is going to win Best New Artist at the VMAs.  Any of the other nominees are better than Wiz.    Have you guys listened to Big Sean?  I feel like he's Wiz Khalifa if Wiz could rap about things that weren't weed. It's actually pretty decent pop-rap.
I hate Wiz Khalifa, but I would rather see him win then fucking Kreayshawn.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cookiemonster
@Cirdain: Yeah, I was finding it difficult trying to word it within the character limit. If you take the brackets away its even more confusing.
RaspberryRumba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RaspberryRumba

I hate how Leeds is seen as the retarded step-brother to Reading and is treated as such. If anything I imagine the Leeds crowd is much better than at Reading.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cookiemonster
@RaspberryRumba: Leeds is in the north and Reading is near London, so I'm not surprised people think that. I've heard many artists/bands and people that have went to both that have said that Leeds has better atmosphere and crowds and stuff though.
anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By anarchyzombie9

They aren't going to win anyway.

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PeasantAbuse said:
@MariachiMacabre said:

@EuanDewar said:

I agree that Wiz is awful, but I honestly think he is going to win Best New Artist at the VMAs.  Any of the other nominees are better than Wiz.    Have you guys listened to Big Sean?  I feel like he's Wiz Khalifa if Wiz could rap about things that weren't weed. It's actually pretty decent pop-rap.
I hate Wiza Khalifa, but I would rather see him win then fucking Kreayshawn.
I've come to the conclusion that absolutely no one listens to Kreayshawn unironically. If they do then I'm worried.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By jakob187

Whether Tyler wins something or not, it doesn't change get the fact that Goblin was a lazy and underprpduced record with the only redeeming factor being that Tyler can spit on the mic better than the majority of rappers out there. He's a wordsmith, but he can't right a beat for shit outside of "Yonkers" and "Burger".