Of Ghosts and Busting

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider!
I haven't been bashful about my excitement for Ghostbusters: The Video Game, so when a package from Atari containing a preview copy of the Xbox 360 version showed up yesterday, I was eager to dig in. After blasting and sliming my way through the first three levels, I can definitely say that this is a game being made almost exclusively with fans in mind. The catch-22 of catering to fans like me is that we're that much more critical of how it upholds the legacy.

Before you even get into the story, the game welcomes you in with a shot of the Ghostbusters firehouse, accompanied by a jaunty piece of familiar music. It's definitely a sign of things to come, as the game is absolutely shameless about bringing back familiar faces and revisiting key events from the films. Set two years after the events of Ghostbusters II, the game opens with a supernatural event in a museum that just so happens to be hosting an exhibit concerning Gozer the Gozerian. Back at the firehouse, you're playing the part of a nameless rookie being shown the ropes by Drs. Venkman, Spengler, and Stantz, who make clear early on that they're loading you up with their sweet new prototype hardware only because they consider you expendable. 

Before you know it, you're back at the Hotel Sedgewick, chasing after Slimer, which quickly rolls into an extended chase with the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man through Times Square, followed by a return to the New York City Public Library to confront the Grey Lady, that silence-appreciating ghost that kicked off the first movie. For a story that's ostensibly original, that's a whole lot of recycled material packed into the first three levels. The specific whys and the wherefores of all the supernatural activity in the game isn't made clear during that time, though it's apparent that it has something to do with Gozer. 

One of the big reasons I've allowed myself to get invested in Ghostbusters: The Video Game is the involvement of the original cast members. Virtually everyone's back, and despite the 25-year difference, they sound about the way that they should. I definitely found Dan Aykroyd's Ray Stantz to be the most authentic, though Ernie Hudson's Winston Zeddemore's pretty solid. Harold Ramis is OK, though he doesn't have a ton of great lines, and Bill Murray's smarm just feels a little... off. Since this is the Xbox 360 version, everyone looks like fairly realistic versions of their 25-years-younger selves, though their animations are a bit more exaggerated. There's just something about the character models, the animation, and the voice work that didn't quite click during my time with the game.

If there's one thing that I would warn other Ghostbusters fans about avoiding, it's the expectation that this game can live up to the humor of the source material. Comedy is one of the toughest things to pull off in video games, and it's a much different beast than in other media. You can't just copy and paste an existing joke into a game and have it work. The game makes an honest effort to be funny, but the most it has elicited out of me so far were a couple of low chuckles.

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
As far as the gameplay goes, it's unsurprisingly focused on the entrapment of spooks, specters, and ghosts. You've got your handy proton pack and your ghost trap for subduing and entrapping ghosts, as well as your PKE meter for finding paranormal clues and sniffing out ghostly trails. Though you'll encounter some ghosts that you can basically just disintegrate with your proton pack, the more significant ghosts require a proper trapping. 

First you have to wear the ghost down with your proton pack. Once its "health" gets to a certain point, you have to switch your stream to capture mode, which you can use to slam the ghost around, dazing it. Once dazed, you can start guiding the ghost towards a trap that you've hopefully already thrown out. During all of this you have to make sure your proton pack doesn't overheat, and avoid any incoming attacks. It's kind of an ordeal, trapping a ghost, but then again, shouldn't it be? If nothing else, the ghost-trapping process seems like it should help keep Ghostbusters from feeling like any run-of-the-mill third-person shooter.

If I come off sounding down on Ghostbusters: The Video Game, it's only because of my profound affection for the source material. It's got issues, but I didn't find the experience offensive, and I'm still eager to see the rest of the game when it hits shelves alongside the Blu-ray version of Ghostbusters on June 16th.
Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
I haven't been bashful about my excitement for Ghostbusters: The Video Game, so when a package from Atari containing a preview copy of the Xbox 360 version showed up yesterday, I was eager to dig in. After blasting and sliming my way through the first three levels, I can definitely say that this is a game being made almost exclusively with fans in mind. The catch-22 of catering to fans like me is that we're that much more critical of how it upholds the legacy.

Before you even get into the story, the game welcomes you in with a shot of the Ghostbusters firehouse, accompanied by a jaunty piece of familiar music. It's definitely a sign of things to come, as the game is absolutely shameless about bringing back familiar faces and revisiting key events from the films. Set two years after the events of Ghostbusters II, the game opens with a supernatural event in a museum that just so happens to be hosting an exhibit concerning Gozer the Gozerian. Back at the firehouse, you're playing the part of a nameless rookie being shown the ropes by Drs. Venkman, Spengler, and Stantz, who make clear early on that they're loading you up with their sweet new prototype hardware only because they consider you expendable. 

Before you know it, you're back at the Hotel Sedgewick, chasing after Slimer, which quickly rolls into an extended chase with the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man through Times Square, followed by a return to the New York City Public Library to confront the Grey Lady, that silence-appreciating ghost that kicked off the first movie. For a story that's ostensibly original, that's a whole lot of recycled material packed into the first three levels. The specific whys and the wherefores of all the supernatural activity in the game isn't made clear during that time, though it's apparent that it has something to do with Gozer. 

One of the big reasons I've allowed myself to get invested in Ghostbusters: The Video Game is the involvement of the original cast members. Virtually everyone's back, and despite the 25-year difference, they sound about the way that they should. I definitely found Dan Aykroyd's Ray Stantz to be the most authentic, though Ernie Hudson's Winston Zeddemore's pretty solid. Harold Ramis is OK, though he doesn't have a ton of great lines, and Bill Murray's smarm just feels a little... off. Since this is the Xbox 360 version, everyone looks like fairly realistic versions of their 25-years-younger selves, though their animations are a bit more exaggerated. There's just something about the character models, the animation, and the voice work that didn't quite click during my time with the game.

If there's one thing that I would warn other Ghostbusters fans about avoiding, it's the expectation that this game can live up to the humor of the source material. Comedy is one of the toughest things to pull off in video games, and it's a much different beast than in other media. You can't just copy and paste an existing joke into a game and have it work. The game makes an honest effort to be funny, but the most it has elicited out of me so far were a couple of low chuckles.

As far as the gameplay goes, it's unsurprisingly focused on the entrapment of spooks, specters, and ghosts. You've got your handy proton pack and your ghost trap for subduing and entrapping ghosts, as well as your PKE meter for finding paranormal clues and sniffing out ghostly trails. Though you'll encounter some ghosts that you can basically just disintegrate with your proton pack, the more significant ghosts require a proper trapping. 

First you have to wear the ghost down with your proton pack. Once its "health" gets to a certain point, you have to switch your stream to capture mode, which you can use to slam the ghost around, dazing it. Once dazed, you can start guiding the ghost towards a trap that you've hopefully already thrown out. During all of this you have to make sure your proton pack doesn't overheat, and avoid any incoming attacks. It's kind of an ordeal, trapping a ghost, but then again, shouldn't it be? If nothing else, the ghost-trapping process seems like it should help keep Ghostbusters from feeling like any run-of-the-mill third-person shooter.

If I come off sounding down on Ghostbusters: The Video Game, it's only because of my profound affection for the source material. It's got issues, but I didn't find the experience offensive, and I'm still eager to see the rest of the game when it hits shelves alongside the Blu-ray version of Ghostbusters on June 16th.
IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By IVIorpheus

Looks mildly interesting....

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Does this mean the final level is in a secluded field, and you have to kill the final ghost with a well-timed, nervous, shaky Quick Time Event?

(YAY! 1000 posts!)

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo

I'm still totally digging what i've seen of this game, I just feel like it could be a major dissapointment.

Sniipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Sniipe

Game sounds okay, I guess.  Any movie tie-in makes me wary.  Am I the only one who thinks the graphics look like poo?

ANDYx0WNEDxU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ANDYx0WNEDxU

mergh i think i like this game...just not sure

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

I feel sorry for Europe about this game.  Anyways, this game is going to kick ass.

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By dQuarters

Really appreciate your candor here, Ryan.

As a fan of many a franchise, who's failure in this medium has hurt harder than it probably should have, this sort of thing (not being offended) seems almost miraculous.
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By HydraHam

My most anticipated game of 09! cannot wait.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By TomA

i love the theme music we danced to it in the front foyer of my school today for 80s day!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By buzz_killington

(fingers crossed) Hope it lives up to my hopes... I'm getting it first day regardless of the critical reaction though.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By buzz_killington

(fingers crossed) Hope it lives up to my hopes... I'm getting it first day regardless of the critical reaction though.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us
buzz_killington said:
(fingers crossed) Hope it lives up to my hopes... I'm getting it first day regardless of the critical reaction though. [more]
Me too. I have high hopes that this game will turn out great. But regardless of whether of whether or not this game bombs, I'll be getting it.
frenchdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frenchdork

I get the feeling from Ryan that it's a game that resembles Xmen Origins: Wolverine as it is a fun game that serves the fans but is also shallow and flawed. Regardless, I'm sure I'll have some fun with it!

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By GozerTC

I'm still so for this game.  I mean look at my name, how can I NOT buy a Ghostbuster's game? :D

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cheapoz

Great, maybe I'll be able to buy it in 12 months, eh Atari?

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By kraznor

Thats pretty much all I need, I will definitely play it but I will keep my expectations in check.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Absurd

Looks cool

Tefferz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tefferz

I read this and despair. Why Sony? Why be so cruel? I want this now, not at some future uncertain date

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldenglishc

Total protonic reversal.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

This really should have been Luigi's Mansion with Ghostbusters characters.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By RHCPfan24

I hoping this will be good. Ryan sounds "ok" about it, but, you know, I wish there was more. Here's to hoping it is better when released.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By MeatSim

I do hope this game has a lot of good humor in it and doesn't fall flat.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox
MeatSim said:
I do hope this game has a lot of good humor in it and doesn't fall flat.
Probably not any Good Humor. But I'd wager there will be plenty of Stay-Puft to go around. Take two and pass.
Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jared

Well, I don't really think anyone should expect this game to better then the first movie, if you do it's likely you will be disappointed. This is a video game after all, since Ryan did praise the game play I have high hopes for this game. What's not funny to someone may be funny to someone else, so don't take it too seriously when someone says they didn't bust out laughing from the jokes. Personally, Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time, the movie still get's chuckles out of me but I'm never rolling on the floor with my gut aching from the comedy. I'm still pumped up for this game!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

Wii or PS3 version?