Offended at being told I will go to hell.

• 160 results
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By animegreen

I am an atheist and I know that Christians think I am going to hell. I also am told that if I don't believe in god then I will go to hell. This is very offensive; because I am 100% sure hell doesn't exist and when I die I don't want people thinking i am going to hell. lol.

My proof for knowing that hell doesn't exist is I am told that "it is a place your soul goes when you die".. but there is no soul. Because when you lose the Insular Cortex part of the brain you lose all consciousness... and when you die your brain dies. This also proves there is no heaven. (defined by: A place your soul goes for eternity that is with god.)

How can you go to hell if you have no soul? When you die nothing happens. Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Any proof for souls? Reply if you think their is a soul.

P.S. I have no problem with religion; It is kind of entertaining.  I just have a problem at being insulted and told I will go to hell when people try and prove to me god exists.

P.P.S. Excuse my grammar and spelling English is my second language.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

You believe what you believe and no one can stop it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Solution: Tell these people to go fuck themselves. Seriously. They should be minding their own business.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Systech
@MB said:
" Solution: Tell these people to go fuck themselves. Seriously. They should be minding their own business. "
Better yet, how about trying to ignore that shit?
AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AngeTheDude

I used to be religious but I'm not any more. I believe in the soul, not as an actual thing, but as a concept if that makes any sense. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Red12b
@MB:
Bravo Seconded
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Snipzor

People believe what they want to believe. I wouldn't worry about being told you'll go to hell, just brush it off. I would worry if you were a part of the abomination crowd, then there should be general concern.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Red12b

I am agnostic, I belive that you have the right to do whatever the hell you want to do as long as that does not infrindge on anyone else's Rights,

To bad that it is an Impossible dream.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stang
@animegreen said:
Any proof for souls?
Therein lies the problem, this is a circular debate that ends straight in the middle of no fucking where. Arguing the existence of God, afterlife, the concept of the soul...it is all bullshit. Believe in what you want to believe, but keep it to yourself....unless you like to stir the pot up (like me :P ).

Feel free to tell those persistent Jehovah's witnesses to fuck off though, they just don't quit.
Minos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Minos

You're kind of self centered thinking that people actually spend time thinking about your future and beliefs.... nobody actually cares what you believe in or not...

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Black_Rose

Tell them to mind their own fucking bussines.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

If they are telling you that you are going somewhere that you don't believe in, then you are either unsure of what you truly believe in or you let things affect you when they really shouldn't. 

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I believe there is a soul, but I know physiologically the evidence you give is valid and reasonable. I just cope with my own death by believing that I am part of a bigger picture. But I believe you should live your life the way you want. Whatever makes you happy and doesn't hurt others. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

I find it funny that an atheist can be so easily offended.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By gingertastic_10

I would never tell someone that they are going to hell just because they don't believe in religion. It's your choice and I respect that. People can just be assholes.

animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By animegreen
@kmdrkul said:
" If they are telling you that you are going somewhere that you don't believe in, then you are either unsure of what you truly believe in or you let things affect you when they really shouldn't.  "
No, its more like I am offended  by how religious people(christians, pastafarians and muslims) walk around with a false sense of duty trying to "save" me. I am confident in my disbelief.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By weltal
@animegreen said:
" I also am told that if I don't believe in god then I will go to hell. This is very offensive; because I am 100% sure hell doesn't exist and when I die I don't want people thinking i am going to hell.
This statement makes no sense. You don't believe you are going to hell and therefor you are offended by the accusation that you are going to hell.
Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheFrostedGamer

You will go to Hell? Look at what humans have done to Earth and the rest of the animal kingdom. If Hell existed, you're already there. No no no..there's no "going" to hell. In fact, if you go back far enough, the bible in earlier languages before being translated to english, you'll find that "hell" was actually a concept, a state of mind, not a place. Anyway - someone telling you that you're going to hell is about as offensive as them saying the easter bunny is going to ride a chariot of fire into your bedroom tonight. What you need to do is, the next time someone tells you that, ask them to explain why God doesn't heal amputees. Or why mentally handicap people deserve to be born that way. Or why the old testament says disobidient children should be stoned to death. Or why people who work on Sunday should be stoned to death. That''ll give them enough to digest. Enjoy :)

animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By animegreen
@TheFrostedGamer said:
" someone telling you that you're going to hell is about as offensive as them saying the easter bunny is going to ride a chariot of fire into your bedroom tonight. "
I loled. Great analogy!
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By animegreen
@Weltal said:
" @animegreen said:
" I also am told that if I don't believe in god then I will go to hell. This is very offensive; because I am 100% sure hell doesn't exist and when I die I don't want people thinking i am going to hell.
This statement makes no sense. You don't believe you are going to hell and therefor you are offended by the accusation that you are going to hell. "
I am offended that someone would believe that a murderer, rapist, or thief who has said they are sorry for their crimes would get into Heaven, whilst a person who has done nothing but think would go to Hell.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang
@animegreen said:
" My proof for knowing that hell doesn't exist is I am told that "it is a place your soul goes when you die".. but there is no soul. Because when you lose the Insular Cortex part of the brain you lose all consciousness... and when you die your brain dies. This also proves there is no heaven. (defined by: A place your soul goes for eternity that is with god.) "
And by the way this is not proof. This is opinion. I know the internet is a magical place, but get this....your opinion is just as valid as other people's. Holy shit, that is insane!

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kmdrkul
@animegreen said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" If they are telling you that you are going somewhere that you don't believe in, then you are either unsure of what you truly believe in or you let things affect you when they really shouldn't.  "
No, its more like I am offended  by how religious people(christians, pastafarians and muslims) walk around with a false sense of duty trying to "save" me. I am confident in my disbelief. "
Again; they are confident on what they believe in.  You claim to be so confident in yours; smile, nod your head, move on.  You'll accomplish nothing by trying to argue your beliefs with them just as you are accomplishing nothing here by trying to justify your beliefs with us.  We all get it, you believe in what you do. 
animegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By animegreen
@Stang said:
" @animegreen said:
" My proof for knowing that hell doesn't exist is I am told that "it is a place your soul goes when you die".. but there is no soul. Because when you lose the Insular Cortex part of the brain you lose all consciousness... and when you die your brain dies. This also proves there is no heaven. (defined by: A place your soul goes for eternity that is with god.) "
And by the way this is not proof. This is opinion. I know the internet is a magical place, but get this....your opinion is just as valid as other people's. Holy shit, that is insane!Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks. "
Opinions are common, yes. But some are valid and others are not. There is no evidence whatsoever that a soul exists... but there is mounds of evidence that a soul does not exist.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Gunner

Just say

"isnt that something that your god is supposed to decide?"

and then walk away.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By weltal
@animegreen said:
"I am offended that someone would believe that a murderer, rapist, or thief who has said they are sorry for their crimes would get into Heaven, whilst a person who has done nothing but think would go to Hell. "
So, what you are really trying to say is you are offended by religion, not claims made against you.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By DanielJW

Why can't people just brush it off? All these comments about trying to get back at them by starting an argument just seem childish. Like Stang said, sure stirring the pot can be fun sometimes, but if somebody comes at me trying to shove beliefs down my throat I just ignore them. How does arguing their faith make you any better than they are? 

I'm an athiest simply for the reason that I don't believe in what can't be proved, or at least rationally backed up, so if there was hard evidence god existed I'd be on board. Anyways I'm at peace with my beliefs, why would I want to go argue with someone about it when neither side is going to be convinced? Just seems like a big childish cycle of "holier than thou" attitudes.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Akeldama
@MB: this 
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stang
@Red12b said:
" I am agnostic, I belive that you have the right to do whatever the hell you want to do as long as that does not infrindge on anyone else's Rights, To bad that it is an Impossible dream. "
This, and

@DanielJW said:
" Why can't people just brush it off? All these comments about trying to get back at them by starting an argument just seem childish. Like Stang said, sure stirring the pot can be fun sometimes, but if somebody comes at me trying to shove beliefs down my throat I just ignore them. How does arguing their faith make you any better than they are? 

I'm an athiest simply for the reason that I don't believe in what can't be proved, or at least rationally backed up, so if there was hard evidence god existed I'd be on board. Anyways I'm at peace with my beliefs, why would I want to go argue with someone about it when neither side is going to be convinced? Just seems like a big childish cycle of "holier than thou" attitudes.
"
That

I will check this thread again in the morning, hopefully some religious devotees start posting and make this thread interesting. This thread is still far too civil, more shenanigans are needed! :evil:

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I find it hilariously ironic that most Atheists take Atheism to religious extremes.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Quit being a prissy baby and stop caring what people say. You have the power to take offense to things, and you give yourself that power. You don't need to.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Psyx2
@SamuSlave said:
" I find it hilariously ironic that most Atheists take Atheism to religious extremes. "
this
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sabata

I was gonna come in here to tell you how dumb you are for getting your panties in a bunch about people telling you you're going to hell, but instead I'll just say that you're dumb for liking Naruto.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By tekmojo

I see some holes in logic.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@animegreen: If it's any consolation, animegreen... I'll see ya there!
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Godwind
@animegreen said:
" @kmdrkul said:
No, its more like I am offended  by how religious people(christians, pastafarians and muslims) walk around with a false sense of duty trying to "save" me. I am confident in my disbelief. "

Or confident your belief of non-existence.

Anyways, would you put a hissy fit if you sneezed and I said  "God Bless You" or do you hate people whom impose?
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Absurd
@systech said:
" @MB said:
" Solution: Tell these people to go fuck themselves. Seriously. They should be minding their own business. "
Better yet, how about trying to ignore that shit? "
That would be too easy, and would make too much sense.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

Actually if anyone christian says that you're going to hell for being an atheist then they are idiots. According to Christianity, even a non believer can go to heaven, but that's what judgment day is for. Good Christians by pass judgment however. Anyone who lives a good life can go to heaven.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By slinky6

I also am offended.   why would god care so much about you believing in him?   why doesn't he care more about if you're a good person?   why can a rapist that says he's sorry and that he believes in jesus go to heaven, but an atheist that's a contributing member of society has to go to hell just for demanding a little evidence?   i think it's because deep down they know that if people were reasonable religion would cease to exist so they have to make reasonable skepticism the worst of all offences.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By StarFoxA

Dude, those Christians shouldn't be using "you'll go to hell" as a motivation to convert. As a Christian, I find that pretty stupid.

But seriously, you shouldn't be offended by something so minor. I see more offensive crap for Christians on a daily basis.

J3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By J3
@animegreen: Don't worry about it. Just think of it this way; would you want to go to Heaven with these assholes, or would you rather go to Hell, a place that they are guaranteed NOT to be. I'll take Hell. And that's why I too am an Atheist.  On a more positive note, I hope all of the uber crazy religious nuts keep it up because they are driving people to Atheism in droves. (Atheism is one of the fastest growing "religions" in North America) One day, logic will prevail. Be patient.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Man, this thread just pisses me off.

Aetheism is the belief of disbelief. Aetheism is a "religion" whose purpose is to prove other religions false. What the fuck kind of goal is that? At least with Christianity you have good messages like love thy neighbor. The same is true of all religions. They all have some kind of purpose in making things better. Aetheism doesn't.

And that, my friends, is why Aetheism is . . . absolutely fucking retarded,
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sabata
@Arkthemaniac: Sort of agree with you there, although a side mission for some religions is also to prove other religions wrong. But that's neither here nor there. Point is, both Atheism and Religion deal in absolutes (there absolutly IS a god, there absolutely ISN'T a god) and absolutes, religious or not, are usually really dumb. That is why I am agnostic; I don't know and neither do you.
deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deadmonkeys

If you don't believe hell exists, how can you be offended when someone tells you that you are going to hell?
That's like throwing a fit if someone tells you that Santa is real.

Seriously, quit whining and grow up.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By wealllikepie

i dunno im not religious but id prefer to think that i have a soul and it will live on while i die, otherwise ill have a rather dull view on death, im surprised u still ddnt commit suicide with that kind of optimistic view on death

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hitchenson

And people wonder why people tend to hate on Atheists? 

It's because of people like you OP. I imagine Christians are also offended when you tell them god isn't real, no? I'm an Atheist, but seriously, if people wanna believe in a religion; let them. Good for them! They've found something they believe in, and they have every right to do so. Are you seriously so sad that people saying "You're going to hell..." offends you? If your answer is yes... dude...
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By dethfish

Hell probably isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#47  Edited By Symphony
@Arkthemaniac said:
"Aetheism is the belief of disbelief. Aetheism is a "religion" whose purpose is to prove other religions false. What the fuck kind of goal is that? At least with Christianity you have good messages like love thy neighbor. The same is true of all religions. They all have some kind of purpose in making things better. Aetheism doesn't.

"
No, Atheism does not have the purpose of proving others false. That's the goal of specific individuals, not the belief itself. The belief is merely the concept that no higher power exists. It's not the belief that "No higher power exists AND you must prove all other beliefs false"

Though I sort of agree with the purpose of making things better but then the typical counter-argument is "How bout the Crusaders? How bout Jihad? How about the Dark Ages? How about the Witch Hunts? How about the Inquisitions?"

Only focusing on Christianity as you mentioned it, but you could easily replace it with any major faith. Anyhow, Christianity has some terrific core elements -- without them why would the common person believe it, after all. That said, it has been used -- for better or worse -- as a tool of control. Regardless of if the core teachings are right or wrong, the fact is that the religion has been used by individuals to keep society in check and there have been plenty of examples of this control being abused. In other words, it is merely a tool -- neither good nor evil ; there for different purposes for different people. For those in power, it can be a tool of control. For those not in power, it can be a tool of hope and morals to live by.

Atheism is special in that it's not a "true" religion. Unless you're an incredibly stubborn Atheist, you'll still celebrate Christmas with your friends and family. Sure you might point out "Oh by the way, didja know Christmas was originally a three-day Pagan holiday known as Saturnalia, blah blah blah" but you'll still exchange presents and wish people a Merry Christmas. Atheism is merely the belief that there is no higher power -- that's all. An Atheist's morals and ethics will still be affected by other systems, such as religion, commonsense, or example.

So back to the OP -- What a silly post. Here's the only arguement that's needed to counter your "There is no soul" argument -- Prove there isn't one. As Jules in Pulp Fiction says - "Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense". It just becomes a circular argument where both sides say "You can't prove I'm wrong, nyahhhh" and that's silly and pointless. "You can't prove there's a god, so there isn't one." You can't prove there isn't one, so there is one." Oy, no one wins such an argument -- both sides will continue believing what they believe.

I don't really know why you're bothered, if you don't believe in Hell, who cares if they say you're going to a fictional place? But here's a fun way to deal with that -- If they say you're going to Hell, just reply with:

"Oh you mean I'm going where all of the individual thinkers who question authority, science, religion and take advantage of their freedoms are going? At least I won't get bored!" Sure it's a snide reply, but you're dealing with people who are condemning you.. not exactly a nice thing to do. I coulda sworn there was something about "Let he without sin cast the first stone" in many different religious books... Call me crazy.

Or you could toss them a few questions like "So... what kind of music do they play in Heaven? If I don't like country music and I have to put up with country music being played by those around me, that wouldn't be very Heavenly, would it?" "What happens if my husband dies and I get remarried before I die? Will my first husband be there waiting for me and be cool with threesomes? What if he found someone new in Heaven? What if I still love him more than my second husband and want to only be with him in Heaven, would that make Heaven more of a Hell for my second husband if he continues to stay in love with me after death?" And those questions are just scratching the surface of obvious flaws!

Heaven (and Hell) have so many problems when you think about it, so if you're really bothered by people warning you that you're going to Hell, it's easy to start a conversation that should hopefully get them to start questioning their own beliefs. The points not to get them to renounce their faith -- as I said, religion can be used for good, and many people gain hope and happiness from it -- but rather, it might let them start forming their own ideas of what to believe in rather than just following what they're told word-for-word.

For the record, I'm an Agnostic Atheist (Woah, contradiction? Deal with it ^^) and I respect everyones' beliefs as long as they don't involve oppressing women (or men, I guess... though I have yet to hear of a religion that does this though ;P), other races, or other cultures. I have no tolerance for such faiths as promoting hate doesn't do anyone any good.

We're all in this together and we'll all find out what happens in the next life sooner or later, cause you know the number one cause of death is living, and unfortunately, we've all got that disease. ;P
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_A_Drain
@MB said:
"Solution: Tell these people to go fuck themselves. Seriously. They should be minding their own business."

My thoughts exactly. If they are minding their own business, everybody gets along just fine, but if they are pushing their beliefs in your face, then push back, tell them to step the fuck off or you'll cast spells at them :P
Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheFrostedGamer
@Arkthemaniac said:
" Man, this thread just pisses me off.

Aetheism is the belief of disbelief. Aetheism is a "religion" whose purpose is to prove other religions false. What the fuck kind of goal is that? At least with Christianity you have good messages like love thy neighbor. The same is true of all religions. They all have some kind of purpose in making things better. Aetheism doesn't.

"
Actually, if you want to compare "goals" you'll find most forms of religion much more offensive and counter-productive to humanity. What christianity (and many other forms of religion) do is dress up their dogma (that is, believing in what can't be proven and what isn't allowed to be questioned) with good virtues and principles to create an illusion. The illusion is that a little man hovering on a cloud somewhere is watching over us all, and without him, humans can't have good virtues or ethics. And because of this, christians simply accept things which are completely absurd and illogical in compensation for the principles found in the bible that are still socially acceptable. You'll find that God in the Old Testament and New Testatment are completely different gods, because they were written at entirely different times. Many principles found in the Old Testament completely contradict what Jesus was about, and with good reason. The reality is that the bible (or any of its fantastical characters) didn't invent human nature, or ethics, or principles etc. The danger comes in when people are so into the belief in their "god" that they will harm other people in the name of their religion, disregarding all critical thinking. At least if an atheist does something you don't agree with, he's not hiding behind a superstitious book of fantastical characters. There's nothing greater about being human than the ability to be wrong and change. In this way, all religion is inherently corrupt, because everything changes all the time as we learn better ways to do things. :)

Ask yourself this: if religion was about "making things better", and religion has existed for most of human's existence, how come it's almost always religious people committing suicide on public buses? How come some of the most unstable, barbaric countries in the world are the ones where Church and State aren't separate?

The Point: Doing good or being good is merely a perception. There is no "good" or "bad". Whatever principles you live by, religion didn't invent it. Be a good person if you want, but *you* can't prove God exists by the fact *I* can't prove he doesn't. Going by your logic, we should all worship the Easter Bunny so we have all bases covered *fingers crossed*.
steeeeeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By steeeeeve

a couple of notes on the whole evidence thing: 1) trying to prove that something purely conceptual and that can't be quantified doesn't physically exist is like trying to prove that the universe is infinite; the fact of the matter is, we don't know, and it's unlikely that we ever will.  2) the lack of evidence isn't the evidence of non-existence.  also, i'm kind of confused about you being offended by people telling you something you "know" is impossible.  it shouldn't make any difference to you whether or not they think you're going to hell.  that's like if i were offended by someone placing a voodoo curse on me.  i'm, like, 99.99% sure that voodoo is a load, so it doesn't matter to me.