Official 2012 NFL Discussion Thread

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#101  Edited By ThePickle

Updated with the scores of the afternoon. And holy hell, what an afternoon is was. Three overtime games, Vikings upsetting the Niners, Saints going 0-3, and Rob Ryan getting a haircut.

Detroit vs. Tennessee: I almost lost my mind because after the onside kick was successful my stream swtiched to the Chargers game. Even though there was a distinct lack of ZMF live-tweeting, this was still a hell of a game. We saw a successful onside kick. We saw a classic Stafford/Megatron comeback. We saw the second installment of the Music City Miracle, and we saw the most unlikely last second TD I've ever seen:

Seriously, what are the fucking odds. Even though the Lions couldn't fully pull off the comeback, it was a great game with some huge plays for both teams.

And just for reference, here's the return we saw today:

And here's what we saw in 2000:

New York Jets vs. Miami: This one was best described by someone on /sp/

that game was like watching toddlers with down syndrome having a pillow fight.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By ThePickle

Oakland vs. Pittsburgh: Holy shit. Did the Raiders actually win a football game? Against the Steelers? HOT FUCKING DAMN. I LOVE YOU SEBASTIAN JANIKOWSKI. I LOVE YOU DARREN MCFADDEN. I KIND OF LOVE YOU CARSON PALMER. THE USE OF THIS SONG IS CURRENTLY JUSTIFIED:

I hope Heyward-Bey is okay. Hey replacement refs, PROTIP: when a player's injury causes a 12 minute delay which ends with him having to be carted off the field, a flag might be warranted.

silens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By silens

@ThePickle: Nice to see a good performance finally pay off for the Raiders. They should've had one by now, at least. DHB's thumbs-up was one of the best moments of that game. CBS (Classy Broadcast Service, apparently) replaying the hit in slow-mo, from every angle, 20 times seemed in pretty shitty taste.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By ThePickle

@silens said:

@ThePickle: Nice to see a good performance finally pay off for the Raiders. They should've had one by now, at least. DHB's thumbs-up was one of the best moments of that game. CBS (Classy Broadcast Service, apparently) replaying the hit in slow-mo, from every angle, 20 times seemed in pretty shitty taste.

Hey, cool it with the CBS hate.

They can hear you.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By DukesT3

Now these refs are calling illegal contact? Jesus.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#106  Edited By breadfan

If the Red Sox can beat the Orioles, the Patriots should be able to beat the Ravens.

2 seconds later...

=|

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By DukesT3

I don't think he made that kick... That was a fucking crazy ass game. I love these refs!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#108  Edited By Hailinel

I could complain about the shitty replacement refs, or I could celebrate a Patriots loss.

The latter is feeling pretty damn good, by the way.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By ajamafalous

Somehow the replacement refs managed to get even worse this week.

Somebody will need to do some serious explaining if this fuck doesn't get suspended. Does Jonathan Vilma owe him some money now or something? Fucking absurd.
SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#110  Edited By SpecDotSign

@ajamafalous: My sister and I both yelled "FINE" when we saw that play. My dad was like, "where the hell are the penalty flags?" These replacement refs are making the games comical at times.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By ajamafalous
@SpecDotSign: The worst part? I've been a Broncos fan my whole life and I'm from Houston. I was pulling for the Texans, because I think their window is closing fast within the next couple years. Andre Johnson's only got a couple good years left, and all their young breakout defensive players will be coming off of their rookie contracts into big money that the Texans won't be able to pay. They're about as good as they're going to be right now. The Broncos just overhauled a lot of their team, though, and they've got Peyton for 5 years. That team is only going to get better. 

But two blatant roughing the passer penalties in a row on plays where it looked like the defenders were trying to kill Matt Schaub? It's just fucking ridiculous and has no place. It was like I was watching a fucking XFL game.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ThePickle

Baltimore vs. New England: Just when I thought the games couldn't get any fucking weirder. First off, we have Clint Eastwood officiating the game. The calls in this game were just all over the place. Some were way too strict and others seemed to turn a blind eye. It's turning these games into a circus. Not only can it affect the outcome of the game, it also threatens the safety of the players. The hit Heyward-Bey took against the Steelers was scary. The fact that it wasn't called gives the message to all defensive players that they can get away with some dangerous hits, like the one Schaub took against Denver.

"That's the loudest manure chant I've ever heard" - Al Michaels.

GODDAMNIT I WILL NOT HAVE A WORSE RECORD THAN THE VIKINGS.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By rand0mZer00

What a week of games. I don't even know where to start. Better yet, I don't know how to give an actual analysis of most of the big games, but I will try.

Chiefs at Saints - This was the early game here on CBS, so I was flip flopping between this game and the 49ers/Vikings game (which I will get too.) You know, after the Saints had the lead in the 3rd quarter, I was thinking "Well. That's it." But it wasn't. Oh boy it wasn't. While I still don't think Cassel is going to be the QB that takes them to the next step, he did a bang up job making some pretty great throws late in the game. Jamaal Charles was fantastic yesterday. I always thought he was a great back, and felt awful when he got hurt last season so it's nice to not only see him back on the field but showcasing his talents. If there is something that I have learned as a Packers fan, it's that you can have the highest scoring offense in the league, but if your defense gives up just as much points, it will catch up to you in the end. As long as the Saints have Brees, they will always have a chance but if that defense doesn't get better, it's only going to get worse.

49ers at Vikings - Well. This was quite the shock. Not that I wasn't giving the Vikings a shot, but the way the Niners have been playing it seemed like they wouldn't lose at all (that's a stretch but they have been playing great ball.) Christian Ponder looked good, especially when he had to make plays on his legs. The stars of the game though, was the Vikings defense because they came to play. They brought the pressure to Alex Smith, they even made him throw a pick (his first since Thanksgiving 2011) and really threw off the Niners offense. Props to the Vikings, they will be a tough team to play in the NFC North.

At this point, I was waiting for the Steelers/Raiders, but since the Chiefs/Saints played until overtime, they switched around various games around the league. Here's my quick hits:

Lions at Titans - Crazy. Just complete craziness. When Shawn Hill threw that Hail Mary at the end of regulation, I told my brother "I have a feeling it's going to get caught." Low and behold, it was. What a game.

Bucs at Cowboys - They only showed the onside kick that Tampa Bay attempted and didn't get. I did hear Romo got Goldberg speared a couple of times, but they didn't show it. I have yet to see it.

Jets at Dolphins - How long do they stick with Sanchez under center? Seriously. I know Tebow isn't much better, but at least the players and fans rally around Tebow. The loss of Revis is going to be huge to the Jets defense, maybe even too much for them to make up for.

20 minutes later:

Steelers at Raiders - What a game. You know with this rivalry you were going to get a physical, high scoring game and it was. Both teams looked good, but unfortunately I have to bring my focus to the hit on Heyward-Bey. That was a cheap shot by Mundy, plain and simple. It was bad enough when he tried to clean out Streater in the previous play, but this one was just dirty. No need for that in any profession. I can only hope some kind of discipline is enforced on Mundy. Back to the game, the Raiders forced some late turnovers and drove down the field to set up the game winning FG from Janikowski. Roethlisberger played fantastic in this game, as did the entire offense but without Palomalu & Harrison, the defense doesn't have the intimidation that it normally has. Great game. I hope Heyward-Bey will be ok.

I didn't get to watch the Patriots at Ravens, but I heard it was fantastic so I will have to catch it on NFL Rewind this week.

All in all, some great games were played this week, and the replacement refs are still terrible. Still.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#114  Edited By grilledcheez

So, anybody see that CRAZY ending to the Seahawks game?

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#115  Edited By dethfish

lol It may be the most scumbaggy win ever but I'll take a Seahawk win any day. These refs man, holy shit.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#116  Edited By Phatmac

This is a fucking joke, right? HIRE FULL TIME REFS THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By grilledcheez

@Dethfish: I know right? And they just now kicked the extra point haha

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By jacdg
@Dethfish said:

lol It may be the most scumbaggy win ever but I'll take a Seahawk win any day. These refs man, holy shit.

Same here, we (Seattle) got a lot of calls all of the sudden, and we got the big one, but there were lots of terrible calls in that game.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By PeasantAbuse

These refs are trash. The Seahawks are my team, but I didn't want it to be like this :(

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Milkman

lol

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By dethfish

@JacDG said:

@Dethfish said:

Same here, we (Seattle) got a lot of calls all of the sudden, and we got the big one, but there were lots of terrible calls in that game.

I'm okay with a couple bad calls for us to make up for the bad pass interference call on us on 3rd down that lead to the packer TD, but the amount of bad calls towards the end was crazy. Hopefully the hate goes towards the Refs (or better yet, the NFL) rather than the Seahawks though. It ain't our fault!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By SlightConfuse

LOL
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By thatfrood

Packer fan here.

Feels bad, man.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By DukesT3

These refs are starting to grow on me! As much as a clusterfuck this who crap is they haven't really fucked with the Texans and I'm loving how all this is blowing up on Goodells face likes its his first bukkake. FUCKING GLORIOUS!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SlightConfuse

This is some Vince Mccmahon stuff i love it

No Caption Provided
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Tate blatantly pushing Shields over was pretty funny though.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#127  Edited By DocHaus

Goddell won't negotiate anything with the union refs until someone gets beheaded on live TV. I still stand by that statement but hope I'm wrong.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#128  Edited By JJOR64

Watched the end of the Packer game. That was ridiculous. My Dad was going crazy. He is a huge Packers fan.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129  Edited By Milkman

All I'm saying is maybe more teams should win their games by 30 and then we wouldn't hear about the refs. #G-MEN

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ThePickle

Seattle vs. Green Bay: this league is fast becoming a complete joke. Watching the replay it is clear as fucking day Jennings got the interception. I'll be one of the last people to defend the Packers, but fair is fair. It was an interception. Refs making calls to appease a rowdy home crowd is nothing new, but never when it was so clearly one way and the refs call the other way. NFL fans are very much an angry groups of broken records as of late, but it's very much warranted. These replacements are fucking killing the games. This is the second week were a coach has gotten more than 3 timeouts. These guys can't even keep track of the number of TO's. Imagine what the hell happens if they end up officiating the Super Bowl?

Alright, now let's talk about the game itself. Neither team seemed very sharp. Packers O-line was abysmal. Seattle D was very sharp, until the Packers realized the could run the ball with impunity.

Here are the standings for week 3:

NFC

NorthSouthEastWest
Chicago Bears (2-1)Atlanta Falcons (3-0)Dallas Cowboys (2-1)Arizona Cardinals (3-0)
Minnesota Vikings (2-1)Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-2)New York Giants (2-1)San Francisco 49ers (2-1)
Green Bay Packers (1-2)Carolina Panthers (1-2)Philadelphia Eagles (2-1)Seattle Seahawks (2-1)
Detroit Lions (1-2)New Orleans Saints (0-3)Washington Redskins (1-2)St. Louis Rams (1-2)

AFC

NorthSouthEastWest
Baltimore Ravens (2-1)Houston Texans (3-0)New York Jets (2-1)San Diego Chargers (2-1)
Cincinnati Bengals (2-1)Jacksonville Jaguars (1-2)Buffalo Bills (2-1)Oakland Raiders (1-2)
Pittsburgh Steelers (1-2)Tennessee Titans (1-2)New England Patriots (1-2)Denver Broncos (1-2)
Cleveland Browns (0-3)Indianapolis Colts (1-2)Miami Dolphins (1-2)Kansas City Chiefs (1-2)
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By dethfish

Why aren't the regular refs in anyways? From what I've heard it sounds like it's just because the NFL is being a bunch of cheap bastards.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Dethfish said:

@JacDG said:

@Dethfish said:

I'm okay with a couple bad calls for us to make up for the bad pass interference call on us on 3rd down that lead to the packer TD, but the amount of bad calls towards the end was crazy. Hopefully the hate goes towards the Refs (or better yet, the NFL) rather than the Seahawks though. It ain't our fault!

I'm a huge Packers fan and have been watching the NFL for a looong time. I've never seen anything like this, it's a fucking atrocity and I have no hate for the Seahawks after this game. They played well and made for a great and exciting game.

However, this by far the biggest fucking farce I've ever seen in a NFL game. It's not because it happens to be the team that I'm a fan of. It could be any other team in that position and it would still be the biggest farce I've ever seen in a NFL game. If anything positive comes out of this, I hope this will be the final nail in the coffin for the replacement refs but send them back to their real estate jobs this week. Enough is enough- Vince McMahon stuff indeed.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ThePickle

@Milkman said:

All I'm saying is maybe more teams should win their games by 30 and then we wouldn't hear about the refs. #G-MEN

All I'm saying is maybe more teams should try to force a fumble when a team kneels.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By rand0mZer00

As a Packers fan, I should be more angry. But with everyone on Twitter, Facebook & every other social media website pointing out that call was bullshit, it does the job for me.

Should the Packers have put the game away to not end up in this position? Absolutely. But, that Seattle team is good, so it was going to be a slug fest no matter what and I knew it would be close. But what I don't get is If the refs saw the replay over and over again and didn't call the INT, then why didn't they call the shove by Tate? You saw it how many times?

I don't need to say more, because I have run out of things to say. The worst thing we can do is to hang up the whole season on this game, we have to come out swinging against the Saints & for the rest of the season for that matter. If we don't, then that is a lack of focus on our part. Coach McCarthy is a smart man, he will rebound this team along with the leaders on both sides of the ball. Just gotta keep moving forward.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ThePickle

"I don't know what you're talking about"

-Golden Tate when asked if he pushed MD Jennings

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By rand0mZer00

@ThePickle: Well. He is a former Notre Dame player haha.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ThePickle

@rand0mZer00 said:

@ThePickle: Well. He is a former Notre Dame player haha.

Goddamn I love Stuart Scott.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ThePickle

Also, apparently Aaron Rodgers was given a kicking ball for the 2 point conversion.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Mendelson9

Here is the Packers/Seahawks game winning play in slow motion. Can't believe they called a touchdown.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ajamafalous
@rand0mZer00 said:

But what I don't get is If the refs saw the replay over and over again and didn't call the INT, then why didn't they call the shove by Tate? You saw it how many times?

There are only a select few penalties that can be challenged/overturned by replay. All others are as they are called on the field regardless of whether they're then seen during a review.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By dethfish

Too be fair though, when I saw it in real time I thought it could of possibly been a TD. Only after seeing it from different angles and in slow motion did it become obvious that it wasn't.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#142  Edited By Hailinel

As a Seahawks fan whose sister-in-law's entire (very large) family is made up of dyed-in-the-wool Packers fans, I'm not going to gloat over this one.

I would die.

hojufixter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By hojufixter

That Seahawks touchdown allowed me to win my fantasy match up. But as a Packers fan (and just a football fan), that ending was horrible.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#144  Edited By JasonR86

I'm a Seahawks fan so I'm happy we won. But good Lord what an ugly game. I'm embarrassed for the NFL. The referring is a fucking joke.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ThePickle
No Caption Provided

Just to let you guys know how huge this thing has gotten, here's the front page of the Huffington Post. This. There's an election going on to decide who will be the president of the United States, and the front page of HuffPo is the replacement refs. Goddamn insanity.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By rand0mZer00

@ajamafalous: Thanks for explaining that ajamfalous.

At this point, it's just going to sound like sour grapes on my end to keep talking about this so I'm just going to stop.

We will hear about it till our ears bleed in the upcoming days anyway.

EDIT: Ok, I am now officially over this topic:

No Caption Provided
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ThePickle

@rand0mZer00 said:

@ajamafalous: Thanks for explaining that ajamfalous.

At this point, it's just going to sound like sour grapes on my end to keep talking about this so I'm just going to stop.

We will hear about it till our ears bleed in the upcoming days anyway.

EDIT: Ok, I am now officially over this topic:

No Caption Provided

As significant as this was, there's really not much more to talk about. It's not like anyone else is saying the call was legitimate. It's overshadowing the fact that Rodgers was sacked 8 times in the first half and 0 times in the second.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By ThePickle

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066199/article/president-barack-obama-tweets-about-lockedout-refs

Barack Obama is talking about the replacements. The president. Of a fairly important country. Is weighing in on this. Nuts. I mean, it's a pretty safe stance for him and makes a lot of sense given how big the NFL is in America, but it's still crazy.

Okay, that's it. No more Tate-gate (I hate you nfl.com) in this thread from henceforth. There were 15 other games that we could talk about, let's do that instead and hope this doesn't carry into week 4's game.

Since I was so shocked by Heyward-Bey's hit, I forgot to mention in my initial reaction to the Raiders game that Oakland only had 3 penalties for 25 yards. 3! That's right, 3! Why is that not the biggest story of that game? This is a team that set the record for penalties last season with 163. This is a franchise that holds 8 of the 10 spots on all the time most penalties for a season. This is a league were 10+ flags are being thrown a game on a single team. Of all teams, the Oakland "It's not cheating if you don't get caught" Raiders have only 3 penalties. For comparison, the Steelers had 10 penalties for 81 yards.

Hopefully this discipline sticks with them, but I have a tough time believing a new, young coach was able to change the culture of the Raiders in 2 weeks. But I also thought the Steelers game would be a complete blowout.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By grilledcheez

@ThePickle: As I watched the Raiders game it felt like a blowout (The Steelers beating the Raiders), yet the Pittsburgh defense played terrible and lost the game. Ben threw for all kinds of yards and touchdowns, we dominated in time of possession for most of the game, and yet we lost. For most of the game the Raiders had 0 penalties! (Definitely the whole first half).

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#150  Edited By Shaka999

I'm a browns fan, so I don't have anything to contribute other than "yay football!"