#251 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ThePickle: They just need to speed the game up, I like the rules and game. But the commercials are terrible, I'm in New Zealand and the only commercials ESPN play over here are ads for shows on ESPN so you see the same thing over and over. I would rather just see everyone getting into position instead of it cutting away to breaks.

#252 Posted by YetiAntics (1493 posts) -

Fox is the biggest offender when it comes to airing too many commercials, IMO.

#253 Posted by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

@Phatmac: Do you play fantasy football? Doug Martin is not a hero to me because he single handedly raped me. On espn and I'm sure other leagues too, Martin had 52 POINTS. 52. My whole team put up 105. Damn it.

#254 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@TheDoorman

@Phatmac: Do you play fantasy football? Doug Martin is not a hero to me because he single handedly raped me. On espn and I'm sure other leagues too, Martin had 52 POINTS. 52. My whole team put up 105. Damn it.

Yep he's on my team! :)
#255 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@ThePickle: They just need to speed the game up, I like the rules and game. But the commercials are terrible, I'm in New Zealand and the only commercials ESPN play over here are ads for shows on ESPN so you see the same thing over and over. I would rather just see everyone getting into position instead of it cutting away to breaks.

Usually while the players are getting into position you get replays and close ups of the players. Sometimes you can find the coaches cam on YouTube, which is an overhead shot they use the analyze for practice, but that would be after the game aired. Like I said, all NFL fans are pretty much unified in "fuck all these commercials", but our love of the game overshadows it. The breaks are just part of the game.

#256 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Usually while the players are getting into position you get replays and close ups of the players. Sometimes you can find the coaches cam on YouTube, which is an overhead shot they use the analyze for practice, but that would be after the game aired. Like I said, all NFL fans are pretty much unified in "fuck all these commercials", but our love of the game overshadows it. The breaks are just part of the game.

Yea only thing that prevents alot of people getting in to it. Rugby and Football are just non-stop most the time, so the stop start play of NFL is really hard to get into.

#257 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Cowboys lose. I am happy.

#258 Posted by Dethfish (3696 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior: I love football, but every single week I complain about the damn commercials and just general slowness of the game sometimes. It's even worse now because of all the mandatory replays the refs need to watch. I've also been way into watching MLS for the past few years which has made watching American football even tougher.

It doesn't matter how many Bud Light ads I see, I'm still not buying it.
#259 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@Intro said:

Steelers game is just too funny. Even the announcers are going back and showing missed/bad calls lol.

The first pass interference and the late hit were definitely bad calls but that was a fumble.

I agree. The missed block in the back that was replayed was good too lol.

#260 Posted by SpecDotSign (166 posts) -

My DirecTv service decided it wanted to stop working AFTER Sandy hit us. I missed the Giants game. But they lost. I'm sad, but the rest of the NFC East looks weak so I won't beat myself up over this loss. Problem is the running game has disappeared and without it, the GMen's passing game takes a hit. Defense has played solid though.

#261 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

Well, my Seahawks must have woken up on the right side of the bed today because we won. I swear we are the absolute definition of a .500 team (though right now we aren't but still we will be 8-8 at season's end).

#262 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Dethfish said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: I love football, but every single week I complain about the damn commercials and just general slowness of the game sometimes. It's even worse now because of all the mandatory replays the refs need to watch. I've also been way into watching MLS for the past few years which has made watching American football even tougher. It doesn't matter how many Bud Light ads I see, I'm still not buying it.

They just need to speed it up. Have a time limit after each play to get in position, if the defense doesnt get in position by then give a 10 yard gain to offense. But lets be honest it's all about the commercials, the highlights of the Super Bowl always seem to be the new commercials which really sucks.

#263 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Have a time limit after each play to get in position, if the defense doesnt get in position by then give a 10 yard gain to offense.

Prepare to get laughed at for that one.
#264 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

Broncos won again so I'm happy.

Anybody else here hate fantasy football? I feel like I'm in the minority but I have a rather unhealthy hatred for it. The main thing I hate which is also part of the reason I hate most football commentary is way too much focus is put on individual players stats. Perfect example is a couple of weeks ago in the Packers-Texans game Arian Foster had decent fantasy points despite him being shut down the entire game. He only had 29 yards on 17 rushes with no run over 5 yards yet some how with two easy touchdowns that any RB in the league could've gotten he ends up with decent points. Normally it's easy enough to avoid but when I watch football with my friends they're predictably way into fantasy football so naturally most of the talk ends up being about their teams and such.

#265 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Dethfish said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: I love football, but every single week I complain about the damn commercials and just general slowness of the game sometimes. It's even worse now because of all the mandatory replays the refs need to watch. I've also been way into watching MLS for the past few years which has made watching American football even tougher. It doesn't matter how many Bud Light ads I see, I'm still not buying it.

They just need to speed it up. Have a time limit after each play to get in position, if the defense doesnt get in position by then give a 10 yard gain to offense. But lets be honest it's all about the commercials, the highlights of the Super Bowl always seem to be the new commercials which really sucks.

There is a time limit. It's 40 seconds. 40 seconds to pick a play, get in position, and snap the ball.

#266 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Thats too long.

#267 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Well, my Seahawks must have woken up on the right side of the bed today because we won. I swear we are the absolute definition of a .500 team (though right now we aren't but still we will be 8-8 at season's end).

If all games could just be played at Century Link, it would be much better, hopefully they'll destroy Sanchez and The Jets this weekend.

#268 Posted by Zella (818 posts) -

@JacDG said:

@JasonR86 said:

If all games could just be played at Century Link, it would be much better, hopefully they'll destroy Sanchez and The Jets this weekend.

.500 is still better than before though, there's promise for sure in the team. Games aren't as painful to watch anymore.

#269 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@Zella said:

@JacDG said:

@JasonR86 said:

.500 is still better than before though, there's promise for sure in the team. Games aren't as painful to watch anymore.

Yeah, plus the team has been within a touchdown in every (or almost every) loss, a catch by Baldwin or Edwards in the endzone vs. Cardinals and it would have been 6-3, if the defense stops some of the comebacks from Stafford and Kolb maybe even 7-2, the team might not be playing perfectly but they are in every game. Plus, Russell Wilson is really starting to come on, maybe some looser playcalling has been the reason why he is now doing so well.

#270 Posted by Dethfish (3696 posts) -

You know, this years Seahawks team might not be the best team ever, but they sure are fun as hell to watch.

#271 Posted by Milkman (17305 posts) -

Giants got killed and my fantasy team just got completely fucked by a bogus Dez Bryant TD. Fuck football.

#272 Edited by Atlas (2457 posts) -

My Colts already won this week, so everything is alright over here. Although I don't really fancy our chances at New England next week...

Watched the Falcons-Saints earlier today and that game was fun as hell. Tough loss for the Falcons, but they played with an uncharacteristic lack of discipline - missed too many tackles (why the hell is Dunta Robinson trying to tackle Chris Ivory high at the chest like that? Gotta cut the legs or wrap at the hips, man) and had too many costly penalties. Shame that Tony Gonzalez, who had a fantastic game and is an all-time great, dropped the pass to end the game.

Now I'm watching Cowboys-Eagles. Cowboys just ran a punt back for a touchdown, so this should be a fun finish, especially with the rookie Nick Foles in at QB for the Eagles.

EDIT: Aaand Brandon Carr picks off Foles and runs it in for a TD. FIRE ANDY REID.

#273 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

Took awhile for the Seahawks to get going, and if the opponent had been any better (Mark Sancez, lol) it might have been a difficult game, oh well, Lynch got his 1000 yards and Sherman once again showed why he deserves waaaay more recognition and a trip to the Pro Bowl.

#274 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Poor Giants. :(

#275 Posted by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

Man my Jets suck ass this year

#276 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

Fuck Josh Freeman, Steven Ridley, and Danny Woodhead for ruining my fantasy score this week. I'm glad to see Amendola back and doing good.

#277 Posted by Dethfish (3696 posts) -

The Rams and the 49ers game ended in a tie? I completely forgot games can still end in ties. That makes things way harder for me to calculate in the NFC West.

#278 Edited by ez123 (1994 posts) -

BHAAAHAHA. If nothing else, it's nice that Rams games are (mostly) fun to watch this year. They can't not shoot themselves in the foot.

#279 Posted by gla55jAw (2695 posts) -

@TheSlothKing said:

Fuck Josh Freeman, Steven Ridley, and Danny Woodhead for ruining my fantasy score this week. I'm glad to see Amendola back and doing good.

Amdendola is a straight up beast. The guy almost died, and is back a month later.

#280 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Who is this Beasley and why is he up past his bedtime?

#281 Edited by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Alright, let's do this:

The true classic.

Week 13 (12/2/12)

AwayHomeScore
New Orleans SaintsAtlanta Falcons23-13 ATL
Seattle SeahawksChicago Bears23-17 SEA
Houston TexansTennessee Titans24-10 HOU
Jacksonville JaguarsBuffalo Bills34-18 BUF
Indianapolis ColtsDetroit Lions35-33 IND
Carolina PanthersKansas City Chiefs27-21 KC
Minnesota VikingsGreen Bay Packers23-14 GB
San Francisco 49ersSt. Louis Rams16-13 STL
Arizona CardinalsNew York Jets7-6 NYJ
Tampa Bay BuccaneersDenver Broncos31-23 DEN
Pittsburgh SteelersBaltimore Ravens23-20 PIT
Cincinnati BengalsSan Diego Chargers20-13 CIN
Cleveland BrownsOakland Raiders20-17 CLE
Philadelphia EaglesDallas Cowboys38-33 DAL
New York GiantsWashington Redskins17-16 WAS
#282 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

My Seahawks beat the Bears. Eat it

#283 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Oh man, stressful end to the Seahawks/Bears game. OT shouldn't have even happened, but the refs in Chicago get off by hearing the crowd cheer and decided to turn over the Edwards TD pass earlier in the game. Fuck the Bears forever.

#284 Edited by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Russell Wilson leads a game winning drive, against the Bears on soldier field, TWICE, to let the Seahawks become the 1st team outside of the Bears division to win in Soldier Field for 3 straight years, I love this kid! AND the 9ers lost!!!

#285 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Poor Detroit. Poor, poor Detroit. You were 4 seconds away from a much-needed win. You can't help but feel bad for them. But the Colts are definitely playing for a better cause so it kind of evens out.

Also, holy shit the Jets game. Mark Sanchez is definitely glad he's not the worst QB of the game for once. Expect a fruit basket Lindley.

#286 Posted by Dethfish (3696 posts) -

Seahawks fans have shortened their own lives by watching the games this year. Too much stress from all the close games. Fucking choke a lead after getting ahead with 24 seconds left. Jesus. Also, I'm probably biased but it seems like Russell Wilson gets better each week.

I like that you're a dedicated fan, but I agree, eat it .

#287 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -

Houston Texans still #1

#288 Posted by gla55jAw (2695 posts) -

Greg McElroy!

#289 Posted by RecSpec (3925 posts) -

I'm just glad the QB controversy is over in San Fran and they can focus on the next game. Oh wait...

#290 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

In fact, eat every single inch of it.

#291 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

My man-crush for Andrew Luck just hit Lv. 9000 (!!!).

Honestly can't believe that finish, and that my team is now 8-4. Half of he offense is rookies, the defense is kinda crappy, and the coach is in hospital. And we're a couple of wins from the playoffs. Unreal.

#292 Posted by MechaKirby (261 posts) -

Lions fan here considering suicide

#293 Posted by g00ber (91 posts) -

My Broncos looked like shit in the first half. Penalties are killer. Hope they can get something going in the second half - if not it's gonna be a long afternoon. '9ers losing was awesome though. As was the Bears loss.

#294 Edited by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Raiders vs. Browns: Hey, at least it can't get any worse. Oh wait, Broncos next week? Scratch that, it can and will get worse.

Eagles vs. Cowboys: Whoever wins, Andy Reid is fired.

#295 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

I forgot how terrible the pre-show stuff is on MNF.

#296 Posted by akeripper4 (158 posts) -

things just got more exiting

#297 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

@akeripper4 said:

things just got more exiting

Yup. Even though the Giants are in jeopardy I still enjoy seeing some actual competition. A team just snatching up the berth is no fun.

#298 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

not much of quality I can add to this discussion other than

GO BRONCOS!

#299 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Being a Raiders fan now just hit a new low: Jon Gruden is apparently talking about coming back to Oak-town

Don't get me wrong: Jon Gruden is a football genius and if he returned to the Raiders I would be paralyzed with joy. The thing is: the chances of this happening are about as slim as can be. I've finally made my peace with the fact that Gruden left us, then proceeded to decimate us in the Super Bowl. Now, that wound is being opened and played with by reporters looking for desperate Raider-fan page hits.

*gunshot
#300 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

I swear, if the Redskins could have played decent defense the entire season, they would have wrapped up the division by now. It would be a shame for RGIII to miss out on the postseason.

@JasonR86 said:

In fact, eat every single inch of it.

That was painful, I'll admit. I can't believe the Bears lost to 'Hawks. I suspect the Bears played down to their competition because Seattle seems pretty mediocre to me.

@RecSpec said:

I'm just glad the QB controversy is over in San Fran and they can focus on the next game. Oh wait...

Nope, the genie is out of the bottle and there's no putting it back in. Harbaugh made his choice, now he needs to stick with it.