#301 Edited by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

Alright, so apparently the Gruden rumors were false. I should have known better. Why would the Raiders ever make a good decision? They're the ones who let him go in the first place. I don't think there's a team in the league that more demands a top to bottom gutting.

Week 14 (12/9/12)

Away TeamHome TeamFinal Score
Denver BroncosOakland Raiders26-13 DEN
Philadelphia EaglesTampa Bay Buccaneers23-21 PHI
Baltimore RavensWashington Redskins31-28 WAS
St. Louis RamsBuffalo Bills15-12 STL
Atlanta FalconsCarolina Panthers30-20 CAR
Dallas CowboysCincinnati Bengals20-19 DAL
Kansas City ChiefsCleveland Browns30-7 CLE
Tennessee TitansIndianapolis Colts27-23 IND
New York JetsJacksonville Jaguars17-10 NYJ
Chicago BearsMinnesota Vikings21-14 MIN
San Diego ChargersPittsburgh Steelers34-24 SD
Miami DolphinsSan Francisco 49ers27-13 SF
New Orleans SaintsNew York Giants52-27 NYG
Arizona CardinalsSeattle Seahawks58-0 SEA
Detroit LionsGreen Bay Packers27-20 GB
Houston TexansNew England Patriots42-14 NE
#302 Posted by RecSpec (3806 posts) -
@QuistisTrepe: I love everything about that picture. Can't wait for Alex Smith to be the next Matt Cassel
#303 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

This new brand of come-from-behind Cowboys would be lovable if it wasn't the Cowboys.

#304 Posted by JacDG (2121 posts) -

Hey guys, wanna hear a joke? Arizona Cardinals.

#305 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

@JacDG said:

NFL Films needs to update its list of "Top 10 Collapses" and the 2012 Cardinals have to be number one.

#306 Posted by JacDG (2121 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@JacDG said:

NFL Films needs to update its list of "Top 10 Collapses" and the 2012 Cardinals have to be number one.

Yep, as a Seahawks fan, this Sunday is freakin great.

#307 Posted by Dethfish (3647 posts) -

Hey Seattle, could you win like that more often please? 'Kay, thanks.

#308 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

New York vs. New Orleans: a spectacular game. Really reminded me what I love in this sport. The entire game can change with one snap. David Wilson needs to be playing more for sure.

58-0: Seriously, what happened here. It wasn't too long ago that the Cardinals were 4-0 with the "flesh eating defense". Now, they are losing games 58-0. That doesn't even seem possible. 58 points in a game? That's insane. 58 unanswered points? There's no way that actually happened. Did anyone see this game? Can anyone confirm if this actually happened?

Also, suck it Patrick Klepek. ALL DAY.

#309 Posted by Lagaroth (170 posts) -

I remember when all the ESPN analysts were talking about how the Cardinals were legit. It is nice to know that even though the Jaguars lost to the Jets, we still aren't the joke of the week.

#310 Posted by Dethfish (3647 posts) -
@ThePickle: I watched it, it was real...somehow. It looked like me playing Madden or something. I honestly don't know if there is a single positive thing that could be said for the Cardinals. Their offense and defense both seemed like they gave up halfway through the 2nd quarter. Let me try though. Um, they held Seattle to a FG a few times. Oh wait, they did get an INT off of Russel Wilson, his first one thrown at home. That's something, I guess
#311 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -

I'm still amazed how the Cowboys are one game out of a playoff spot. And how the hell did the Rams sneak up to 6-6-1? Crazy.

#312 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

Fuck you Brady! Leave Johnny U's record alone!

Also, getting ready for the Houston comeback.

#313 Posted by DukesT3 (1912 posts) -

I sad. =(

Oh well, at least if the Texans win out hopefully we can get a rematch in the AFC championship at home.

#314 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2067 posts) -

Patriots look really good, being able the run the ball makes the whole offense much more dynamic. And the Talib addition allows the defense to not be a dumpster fire.

#315 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

@ThePickle: Man, I saw Björk twice this weekend, once at my work and then again when she told my friend to "eff off" so she could "chill n' shit", so I didn't expect to see her here wearing a santa hat and discussing football.

#316 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

@Penzilneck said:

@ThePickle: Man, I saw Björk twice this weekend, once at my work and then again when she told my friend to "eff off" so she could "chill n' shit", so I didn't expect to see her here wearing a santa hat and discussing football.

Where do you work where Bjork is appearing and where can I apply?

#317 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

In my local wine shop. She shops there now and then, and yearly I help her clear out our shelves of champagne. Last month my dad did a charity gig with her in a library close to my place, and last week she was DJ-ing in a lounge I went to for a drink, simply because she felt like it. It's fairly easy to run into her or any of the members of Sigur Rós or Of Monsters and Men around town when you live in such a small place.

#318 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Not even the fourth quarter and the Seahawks/Bills game is already over. GG Seattle

#319 Posted by Dethfish (3647 posts) -

Never have I wanted the Patriots to win more than I do today. I'm going to be a one day only Pats fan.

#320 Posted by Dethfish (3647 posts) -

I'm officially no longer a Patriots fan. Bunch of good-for-nothings.

#321 Posted by Hailinel (24435 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Not even the fourth quarter and the Seahawks/Bills game is already over. GG Seattle

First team in decades to rofflestomp the opponent with 50+ points in consecutive games. This has been a fun two weeks.

#322 Posted by Lagaroth (170 posts) -

Jets - Titans

Greatest game ever played.

With bonus extra-greatest ending.

#323 Posted by gla55jAw (2688 posts) -

Mark Sanchez is beyond terrible. Fucking eh man.

#324 Edited by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

He may not be coaching at Oakland, but I still love Jon Gruden, as any true Raiders fan does. Seriously, what is the deal with amoebas?

Week 16 (12/23/12)

Atlanta FalconsDetroit Lions31-18 ATL
New England PatriotsJacksonville Jaguars23-16 NE
Indianapolis ColtsKansas City Chiefs20-13 IND
Buffalo BillsMiami Dolphins24-10 MIA
San Diego ChargersNew York Jets27-17 SD
Washington RedskinsPhiladelphia Eagles27-20 WAS
Cincinnati BengalsPittsburgh Steelers13-10 CIN
St. Louis RamsTampa Bay Buccaneers28-13 STL
Minnesota VikingsHouston Texans23-6 MIN
Oakland RaidersCarolina Panthers17-6 CAR
New Orleans SaintsDallas Cowboys34-31 NO
Tennessee TitansGreen Bay Packers55-7 GB
Cleveland BrownsDenver Broncos34-12 DEN
Chicago BearsArizona Cardinals28-13 CHI
New York GiantsBaltimore Ravens33-14 BAL
San Francisco 49ersSeattle Seahawks42-13 SEA
#325 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

This Giants secondary... holy shit...

#326 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

I can't wait for the Seahawks game tonight!

#327 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

Thought I could count on McElroy to beat the Chargers... nope

Thought I could count on the Giants to beat the Lewis-less Ravens... nope

But hey, at least the Cowboys lost.

@Empirepaintball said:

Should be a hell of a game. Hawks at home are always a blast.

#328 Posted by Lagaroth (170 posts) -

Jags were close! That counts as a victory in my book.

#329 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

Thought I could count on McElroy to beat the Chargers... nope

Thought I could count on the Giants to beat the Lewis-less Ravens... nope

But hey, at least the Cowboys lost.

@Empirepaintball said:

Should be a hell of a game. Hawks at home are always a blast.

I know! I love football, but I'm a college football guy. I don't really have a "team" for the NFL, though I love watching. I'm beginning to become a Seahawks fan though. I'm a huge soccer fan and a massive Seattle Sounders FC fan, and their fanbase is ridiculous.

#330 Posted by TopSteer (646 posts) -

@Lagaroth said:

Jags were close! That counts as a victory in my book.

I'm not much of a Jags fan but they are my hometown team so I feel your pain.

#331 Edited by gla55jAw (2688 posts) -

Probably had the best seat I will ever have today. Best part? They were free. Too bad SackElroy couldn't get it done.

Also, Seahawks! Wow.

#332 Posted by Zella (732 posts) -

It's amazing to finally be proud to be a Shit...I mean Seahawks fan again. There's not a feeling like being at a game as the crowd goes nuts, Century Link Field just becomes deafening.

#333 Edited by Milkman (16698 posts) -

The Giants more than likely saw their playoff hopes vanish today but it's hard to really care since they clearly didn't.

What a fucking joke.

At least the Knicks are good.

#334 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

"There is no penalty on the play"

"Thank God."

I love you Al Michaels.

#335 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

"There is no penalty on the play"

"Thank God."

I love you Al Michaels.

I know. That was great.

#336 Posted by Dethfish (3647 posts) -

I really love this Seahawks team. A ton of potential and they're almost always fun to watch. Hopefully they can get some real credit now.

#337 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

It's been great watching the Seahawks steamroll teams these last few weeks, hopefully they can keep it up.

#338 Posted by JacDG (2121 posts) -

Richard Sherman wins his appeal, having both Browner and the best cornerback in the league (Richard Sherman) in the playoffs will be important as all hell. Go Hawks!

#339 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -
@JacDG said:

the best cornerback in the league (Richard Sherman)

Wow. Homer. He's good, but come on.
#340 Posted by Marcsman (3183 posts) -

Vick sucks and it is a real shitty time to be a Eagles fan.

#341 Posted by JacDG (2121 posts) -

@uniform said:

@JacDG said:

Sherman is leading the league in passes defensed, Opponents QB rating against (opponents only have a QB rating of 45.6, only other CB below the 50 line is Tim Jennings), he is 2nd in interceptions, he has 3 Forced Fumbles, and 2 TDs. I'd say that he is the best playing corner back right now, yeah.

#342 Posted by TehJedicake (884 posts) -

Gosh I so hope Texans lose, Broncos so close to clinching home field

#343 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -
@JacDG said:

@uniform said:

@JacDG said:

Sherman is leading the league in passes defensed, Opponents QB rating against (opponents only have a QB rating of 45.6, only other CB below the 50 line is Tim Jennings), he is 2nd in interceptions, he has 3 Forced Fumbles, and 2 TDs. I'd say that he is the best playing corner back right now, yeah.

I just wanted to see "currently" or "right now". While currently playing great football, I have to wonder where analysts would place him on a list of NFL best corners. I say he wouldn't place top 5 on anyone's list earlier in the season. Look, I'm not a hater. He seems like a nice guy, and I'm happy for his success this season. I just think he has a lot to prove before I'd tout him as a top 5 corner, let alone best in the league.
#344 Posted by SeanCoughing (264 posts) -
@TehJedicake You and me both buddy *high five
#345 Edited by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

I'm starting this early just because I am so damn excited about the coming week. SNF is going to be insane. I seriously cannot wait. Oh, also fuck the Pro Bowl. Sebastian Janikowski is the best kicker in the AFC and probably the whole league.

Week 17 (12/30/12)

Tampa Bay BuccaneersAtlanta Falcons22-17 TB
New York JetsBuffalo Bills28-9 BUF
Baltimore RavensCincinnati Bengals23-17 CIN
Chicago BearsDetroit Lions26-24 DET
Houston TexansIndianapolis Colts28-16 IND
Carolina PanthersNew Orleans Saints44-38 CAR
Philadelphia EaglesNew York Giants42-7 NYG
Cleveland BrownsPittsburgh Steelers24-10 PIT
Jacksonville JaguarsTennessee Titans38-20 TEN
Kansas City ChiefsDenver Broncos
Green Bay PackersMinnesota Vikings
Miami DolphinsNew England Patriots
Oakland RaidersSan Diego Chargers
St. Louis RamsSeattle Seahawks
Arizona CardinalsSan Francisco 49ers
Dallas CowboysWashington Redskins
#346 Posted by Atlas (2437 posts) -

I didn't intend to write this much, but I'm not a member of any NFL message boards and I'm not maintaining a blog right now, so I hope it's OK if I post this here:

I didn't bother voting for the Pro Bowl this year. I just think that even as a dedicated football fan, I don't have the authority to pick the best players of the year, when I haven't watched a single game that included the Browns, Raiders, or Bills. Unless you're actually willing to watch more than three or four games a week, and go out of your way to watch every team, then a lot of your decision making will be based on a) homerism, b) the opinions of pundits, analysts and other fans, c) stats, or d) reputation. Pro Bowl voting is notoriously biased towards players with established reputations and beefy stats, but a true football fan knows that stats can be deceptive, and only tell you part of the story.

As a Colts fan of ten years now, I love Jeff Saturday. He was there at the beginning and for many of our best seasons and most memorable moments, good (thanks Rex Grossman) and bad (fuck Tracy Porter). And there is a lot of talk among Packers fan that his benching is not due to performance but to injury, and that he'll be back in the middle of the line when the Cowboys/Redskins/49ers/Seahawks roll into Lambeau in January. Whether that is true or not we don't know for sure, but even if it is, he still probably isn't a Pro Bowl centre.

Also, here's a fun fact (I'm sure someone else on the net has picked up on this, but I looked into it myself based on comments made by Lance Briggs, one of the best OLBs in football, who got snubbed despite great numbers): of the six defensive linemen who will represent the NFC in the Pro Bowl, only one plays in a base 3-4 defense - Justin Smith of the 49ers - and of the six linebackers, inside and outside, not a single one plays in a base 4-3. That's partly due to the fact that the 49ers happen to be a 3-4 and happen to have two of the best ILBs in the game (although I might have taken Daryl Washington of Arizona over Bowman), but this is particularly indicative as regards DEs and OLBs, as the defensive base system determines where most of the pressure on the QB is coming from. The Pro Bowl needs to get smart about the changes to the game of football; there should be a pass rusher category for 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs and a all-around category for all 3-4 D-linemen, 4-3 DTs and OLBs, and MLBs. Or maybe they should differentiate between 3-4 and 4-3 players. Let's try it - 12 front-seven players went to the Pro Bowl in the NFC, but for our purposes we'll beef that number up to 14. It breaks down like this:

3-4 defensive ends: Justin Smith & Red Bryant

4-3 defensive ends: JPP, John Abraham & Julius Peppers

Defensive tackles: Henry Melton & Gerald McCoy

3-4 outside linebackers: DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews & Aldon Smith

4-3 outside linebackers: Lance Briggs & Lavonte David

Inside linebackers: Patrick Willis & Daryl Washington

And while they're at it, they need to get rid of the distinction between free and strong safety too, because that is getting to be pretty obsolete too.

Other notes:

• Matt Schaub isn't that bad of a pick when you look at his numbers (Football Outsiders puts his defense-adjusted value above replacement (DYAR) at third in the conference, behind only Manning and Brady. But he just hasn't made as much of an impact in key games as guys like Ben Roethlisberger or even Andrew Luck. I think injuries really hurt Big Ben here; say what you will about the man, but before he got injured he was putting together one hell of a season.
  • Yes, they messed up by omitting Richard Sherman. There's no getting around it. Especially egregious since he won his appeal and won't be suspended.
  • The only reason why Maurkice Pouncey will be in Honolulu in February while brother Mike is sitting at home is because people actually watch Steelers games. Analysts agree that Mike has been a much better player this year.
  • I don't think Victor Cruz has had a Pro Bowl year. It's not his fault, since the Giants offense has been asleep at the wheel for the past month or so, but Marques Colston or Roddy White would have been better picks. But hey, Cruz plays in New York, played in the Super Bowl, and has a signature dance. You can't argue with that.
  • Can someone please explain to me how, for the love of god, the Kansas City Chiefs have as many Pro Bowlers as the Denver Broncos but 10 less wins? Is it because the Chiefs should actually be a great team if only had a QB? Better yet they have one more Pro Bowler than the Falcons, who have 11 more wins.
  • At first it seems strange to see Robert Mathis get voted in; even as a Colts fan, it's been an off-year for him, especially due to injury woes. But then I remembered seeing him play in recent weeks now that he's been healthier, and we're a much better defense with a healthy Mathis. He is an outstanding player.
  • Let's be honest here: RGIII has been electrifying in Washington this year, and his stats are terrific, but he has plenty of downside as a rookie, and his beastly numbers are due more to the conservative and simple offense they're running in Washington - much like how Tebow had efficient numbers last year not because he is a good QB, but because he wasn't asked to win games with his arm. The Redskins would probably be a competitive team with a lesser QB than RGIII - they did just fine with Cousins under centre, but the jury's out there - while the Saints would be even more of a car-wreck if not for Drew Brees' play and leadership. According to Football Outsiders, Brees' DYAR is third in the NFC behind Aaron Rodgers at #1 and - guess what - Tony Romo at #2. Romo's been great in recent weeks, but I guess too many people remember his 5 INT game against the Bears earlier in the year...a game that just happened to be on primetime TV. Ryan was the MVP favourite for much of the first half of the season, and his having cooled off in recent weeks hasn't changed the fact that he's had the best season of his career, and he may be just a playoff win or two away from being labelled as - buzzword warning - "elite".
#347 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3226 posts) -

@Atlas: I don't take too much from the pro bowl I think most players feel the same, its an honor but their ultimate goal is to be playing in the big game. Another big controversy I've seen is Packers Jeff Saturday making the pro bowl even though the Packers benched him for poor play just last week. The pro bowl is more of a popularity game then anything else.

#348 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

National Football Lampoon's Hawaii Vacation - Starring the most popular players. I can't blame the players for half-assing it. Who wants to get injured in such a meaningless "contest"? Goodell's threat to scrap the thing is hilarious when looking at the number of viewers the thing draws. Yeah, the integrity of the Pro Bowl comes before $. Sure, Roger.

#349 Posted by TopSteer (646 posts) -

@Atlas: I wish I had enough time to watch every game, hell even half the games would be nice. I can barely keep up with watching every Broncos, Packers and Bears game. I've always thought sports all star game are stupid, especially with the fans voting the players in. I think having the players and coaches pick would make for a better representation of the best players.

#350 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

The Chiefs have more pro-bowlers than wins. That seems like it should be against the rules.