Official 2012 NFL Discussion Thread

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#401  Edited By dethfish

That was certainly the most entertaining game of the weekend. I thought the hawks might be done after that 1st quarter, then the defense buckled down.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#402  Edited By jacdg

Go Hawks!

Atlanta next week, on paper I'd say that it is an easier game, not as many options on offense (No option plays, not a dominant RB, so on). Should be a good one!

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#403  Edited By DukesT3

@Milkman said:

He walked off the field on his own so it's probably not a torn ACL or anything like that.

You can still walk on a torn ACL depending on the damage but hopefully its nothing serious.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#404  Edited By McShank

@DocHaus said:

Oh shit the Redskins are going to play the Falcons next week aren't they? On one hand the Falcons have a history of choking in the playoffs but on the other hand this Falcons team has been brutal. Someone tell me what to think!

Well you can watch them next year as the Seahawks beat the Redskins even when RG3 was still in. Just saying, Dont look down on one of the best teams this season as this game has happened to many good teams this year.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#405  Edited By Zella

Amazing year to be a Seahawks fan! Might have to look into a Russel Wilson jersey now. With the Hawks win today and stopping of the NHL lockout today, and National Championship game tomorrow I am in sports heaven.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#406  Edited By DocHaus

@McShank: I suddenly regret writing this when RG3 was limping down the field after the first quarter. That'll teach me to predict things.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#407  Edited By gla55jAw

@gla55jAw said:

@ThePickle said:

@Atlas said:

Peyton. Effin. Manning.

He's back!

-every headline on every NFL website.

@gla55jAw said:

I just watched the Jets game again, man did they look good today. I still don't believe in Shonn Greene and wish the Bills didn't score those garbage points, but I'm excited to see how they handle the Steelers next week.

Also, I think we all forgot the performance that Peyton puts on when he plays. I really hope I get to see a lot more Broncos games this season. He's going to light it up.

It'll be entertaining to watch the wildcat offense, but I don't think they'll do very well this season. Especially with their schedule. 6-10, maybe 7-9 if they get lucky.

Watching Peyton for the first time in over a year was a true joy. Even though he is wearing a Broncos jersey, I will be rooting for him this season.

I'm a Jets fan, but I think they can be a 10-12 win team this season. If you just give them the wins against the bad teams (Dolphins, Bills, Colts, Seahawks, Cardinals, Jaguars, Titans), that is 9 wins right there. Their defense is going to be in the top 5, and if Sanchez can finally have a good season, they're going to get some wins.

You know what, looking back at this. . .3/8 wrong ain't too bad right? Seahawks are the real deal though. Awesome win tonight.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By joshthebear

@Zella said:

Amazing year to be a Seahawks fan! Might have to look into a Russel Wilson jersey now. With the Hawks win today and stopping of the NHL lockout today, and National Championship game tomorrow I am in sports heaven.

As a Packers fan, I'm hoping our teams meet again. That way we can fix that mistake of a win that the refs handed you.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#409  Edited By Atlas

I hate to be an asshole, but I always feared this would happen with RGIII. He runs like Michael Vick, with a willful disregard for his own body. He's already a better QB than Vick ever was, but if/when he recovers from his injury, I don't expect this to be the last time we're talking about RGIII being injured in a big game.

Took a while for this Seahawks team to get going, and Redskins defense did a hell of a job for most of the game, but this is still a really dangerous team, playing with speed, talent, and attitude. I honestly am very comfortable saying that they will beat the Falcons on Sunday; Falcons will have a nightmare with Lynch, Wilson will do enough, and Turner will be held in check meaning Ryan will have to win the game for them.

I have been a very proud Colts fan this season, and our loss to the Ravens doesn't change that one bit. The score didn't reflect how well we played and how tough we made things for the Ravens. We just weren't ready for an intense playoff game against a team with tons of playoff experience. We punched above our weight for 17 weeks, and that was one week too many. Still, future's bright for my blue horsies.

Knee-jerk predictions for Divisional Round: Broncos 31 Ravens 21, Packers 31 49ers 28 (OT), Seahawks 27 Falcons 21, Patriots 33 Texans 24

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410  Edited By McShank

@joshthebear said:

@Zella said:

As a Packers fan, I'm hoping our teams meet again. That way we can fix that mistake of a win that the refs handed you.

Or we can beat the packers legit this time and show that it was not merely fluke. That game was not a "win" in my book but damnit, we won still and the record show it so that is what counts!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#411  Edited By ThePickle
BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412  Edited By BoatDrinks

Seahawks at Packers and Pats at Broncos are my prediction for the championship games

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413  Edited By darkstorn

@acrimsonbullet said:

Seahawks at Packers and Pats at Broncos are my prediction for the championship games

Same, I'd like to see the Niners win but they're a but overrated IMO (their defense got shredded by Tom Brady in that single 4th quarter, not to mention the Seattle game). Broncos are sort of in the same boat, so I think it's most likely going to Packers-Patriots in the Superbowl.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By BoatDrinks

@Darkstorn said:

@acrimsonbullet said:

Same, I'd like to see the Niners win but they're a but overrated IMO (their defense got shredded by Tom Brady in that single 4th quarter, not to mention the Seattle game). Broncos are sort of in the same boat, so I think it's most likely going to Packers-Patriots in the Superbowl.

I'd agree with you, their defense is very good, but unfortunately they face Rodgers. Last time Rodgers faced an opponent in the playoffs that he'd lost to in the regular season, he beat them 48-21, largely because they didn't change their defensive tactics at all. From what I've read, the 9ers don't change what they do on defense a whole lot, mostly because they are one of the best at doing what they do. Thats dangerous when you play a team for the 2nd time in a season, like you said, look at the 2nd seattle game. The thing that concerns me for the Packers is their bad tackles vs the 9ers d-line, if the Smith bros show up it might stunt the Packers offense.

Broncos pats would be a very interesting matchup, I'd probably give the upper hand to the Broncos since they seem to have very good home field advantage. Although they did get pounded by NE earlier this year. I don't think either of the AFC divisional games will all that close. NE dominated Houston in the same matchup earlier this year, and Baltimore has not played well on the road this year, and got pounded by Denver in their own house.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By ThePickle

@Darkstorn said:

@acrimsonbullet said:

Packers and Pats is what I'm thinking too. Flacco might not be able to topple Manning, but I think Brady can.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By darkstorn

@acrimsonbullet: Haha yeah.

Either way, I'm going big on Seattle in fantasy next year. I had Marshawn Lynch and Seahawks D/ST this last season and they served me well.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417  Edited By ThePickle

Hall of Fame finalists!

1. Larry Allen (First Ballot)
  2. Johnathen Ogden (First Ballot)
  3. Warren Sapp (First Ballot)
  4. Michael Strahan (First Ballot)
  5. Jerome Bettis
  6. Cris Carter
  7. Tim Brown
  8. Andre Reed
  9. Will Shields
  10. Charles Haley
  11. Kevin Greene
  12. Aeneas Williams
  13. Bill Parcells
  14. Ed DeBartolo Jr.
  15. Art Modell

NFC Divisional Playoffs

Away TeamHome TeamFinal Score
Green Bay PackersSan Francisco 49ers45-31 SF
Seattle SeahawksAtlanta Falcons30-28 ATL

AFC Divisional Playoffs

Away TeamHome TeamFinal Score
Baltimore RavensDenver Broncos38-35 BAL
Houston TexansNew England Patriots41-28 NE
No Caption Provided
Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#418  Edited By Miketakon

Going for Falcons ( PLEASE DONT CHOKE DUDES) 49ers Ravens Patriots.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#419  Edited By gla55jAw

Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers, Texans with the upset.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#420  Edited By recroulette

Falcons, Niners, Patriots, Broncos in OT. No upsets here. 

Although as a Niners fan, I'm terrified that Rodgers may drop 21 on us in the first quarter. If Justin Smith isn't playing at most of his capacity, we're fucked. Aldon Smith disappeared at the end of the season, coincidentally after Justin got injured.  There's also this quality gem from 2005 after the draft. 

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421  Edited By BoatDrinks

I think the 9ers should have started Alex Smith in some situations and Colin in others. I think the Packers would much rather see Colin than Alex, since Colin is inexperienced and turn over prone, even though he brings more to the table. Turnovers where their bread and butter during the 15-1 season and the 2010 playoffs, while earlier this year they got beat by the more methodical and less turnover prone Smith.

Also go Packers

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By topsteer

I may have a heart attack before this game is over if it keeps up like this.

Edit: I can't believe this is happening, what the fuck were the Broncos secondary doing?

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By ThePickle

Has to be one of the best playoff games of all time.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#424  Edited By Phatmac

Greatest game of the season

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By Miketakon

Good ass game

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By topsteer

Well, I'm glad everyone else is able to enjoy this game, as a Denver fan it's been fucking ridiculous.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427  Edited By Miketakon

@TopSteer said:

Well, I'm glad everyone else is able to enjoy this game, as a Denver fan it's been fucking ridiculous.

I'll feel the same when my Falcons play :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#428  Edited By Hailinel

@TopSteer said:

Somewhere, my dad is on a second bottle of Tums right now.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By ThePickle

Thank you Based God.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#430  Edited By Hailinel

Another week of the Ray Lewis Love Train. Fuck everything.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431  Edited By Miketakon
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By SamStrife

As a Ravens fan, that game has made me numb. I won't be sleeping for a while :/

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#433  Edited By dethfish

That Ravens-Broncos game was one of the best playoffs game I've ever watched. It probably has to be one of the biggest upsets as well, doesn't it?

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434  Edited By ThePickle

@Miketakon said:

@ThePickle said:

Thank you Based God.

http://i.minus.com/ibtFxnyMdZU7Po.gif

Pretty much my reaction. When the Ravens tied the game I probably yelled so loud they could probably hear me in Denver.

Sorry Peyton. I love you, but you're a Bronco.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#435  Edited By deadmoscow

Somebody please change the name of this thread to Colin Kaepernick Appreciation Station

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436  Edited By Atlas

...Ray Lewis and Joe Flacco just sent Tom Brady and Bill Belichick to another Super Bowl, didn't they? God. Fucking. Damnit.

In all honesty though, if Brady and the Pats do get there, is it time to stop the Brady vs. Manning debate? I mean, as a Colts fan, watching Peyton tonight just reminded me of so many years of watching disappointing postseason performances from the team, and Peyton gets a fair share of the blame. Sure, Manning has those regular season numbers, but here's some numbers for you: Manning's career playoff record is now 9-11, and Brady is 16-6. He needs one more playoff win to pass Joe Montana for most all-time. And people forget that Brady has great regular season numbers as well. It's always been a silly debate considering the nature of team sports, but Brady has done pretty much everything Peyton has done, and has two more Super Bowl rings.

On the other hand, Flacco outplayed Brady last year in AFC title game and tonight he outplayed Peyton, so where does that put him?

Answer: same as where everyone else is - behind Aaron Rodgers.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437  Edited By deadmoscow

@Atlas said:

whoa there

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#438  Edited By pweidman

Rediculous games today. This is what it's all about if you like NFL football.

Tremendous games and tremendous play. My takeaway is amazing coaching specifically, and all the guys in both games seem(ed) so prepared and ready to compete.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439  Edited By joshthebear

Man, as a Packers fan , this game is extremely frustrating.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440  Edited By Atlas

@deadmoscow: Smaller sample size compared to Brady and Manning, so can't make a comparison as regards careers. But I watched Manning in 2004, Brady in 2007, and Rodgers in 2011, and honestly I think Rodgers had the best season I've ever seen from a QB last year. And his numbers, both regular and postseason, are insane. Rodgers has had good receivers, but he hasn't had a HOF guy like Marvin Harrison or Randy Moss. He has good defenses, but not at the caliber of the early 2000s Pats defenses, or the 2006 Colts that suddenly decided to play out of their skins.

The Rodgers > Brady > Manning > everyone else comment is dependent on Rodgers' career continuing at a similar standard for another 8-10 years, but we get so blinded by the Brady vs. Manning debate that too many people forget that Rodgers is really, really good. And he's a much better athlete than either Brady or Manning; I've never seen a QB throw a football on the run as well as Rodgers can in my 10 years of watching football (I'm English and so I didn't grow up watching the game, but I've watched a lot of football in the last 10 years).

Whatever, this is a pointless argument - Andrew Luck is going to destroy them all, anyway.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By ThePickle

@Atlas said:

...Ray Lewis and Joe Flacco just sent Tom Brady and Bill Belichick to another Super Bowl, didn't they? God. Fucking. Damnit.

In all honesty though, if Brady and the Pats do get there, is it time to stop the Brady vs. Manning debate? I mean, as a Colts fan, watching Peyton tonight just reminded me of so many years of watching disappointing postseason performances from the team, and Peyton gets a fair share of the blame. Sure, Manning has those regular season numbers, but here's some numbers for you: Manning's career playoff record is now 9-11, and Brady is 16-6. He needs one more playoff win to pass Joe Montana for most all-time. And people forget that Brady has great regular season numbers as well. It's always been a silly debate considering the nature of team sports, but Brady has done pretty much everything Peyton has done, and has two more Super Bowl rings.

I disagree. Peyton runs that offense. No one in the history of the game has been as good at reading defenses as him. He may be 9-11 in the playoffs, but he's also a 4 time league MVP. The Peyton/Brady debate has never existed for me. Peyton has always and will always be a better quarterback. As an individual player and as a tactician Manning is far above Brady.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By ThePickle

@deadmoscow said:

@Atlas said:

whoa there

Statistically speaking, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league. He straight up does not throw interceptions.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443  Edited By Atlas

@pweidman said:

Rediculous games today. This is what it's all about if you like NFL football.

Tremendous games and tremendous play. My takeaway is amazing coaching specifically, and all the guys in both games seem(ed) so prepared and ready to compete.

I dunno man, I saw some pretty terrible secondary play from the Broncos in that first game, and I was bitterly disappointed by Peyton Manning's second half/OT performance. And that 49ers front seven just isn't the same without a healthy Justin Smith. You're right about the coaching, though; the Broncos had an extra offensive coordinator leading the team on the field, and they still got out-coached by John Harbaugh and co.

@ThePickle said:

I disagree. Peyton runs that offense. No one in the history of the game has been as good at reading defenses as him. He may be 9-11 in the playoffs, but he's also a 4 time league MVP. The Peyton/Brady debate has never existed for me. Peyton has always and will always be a better quarterback. As an individual player and as a tactician Manning is far above Brady.

Tom Brady is just as good at reading and out-scheming opposing defenses, and is incredible at reading the game. I'm not going to make the argument that he's better at it than Manning, but he's a close second, and he is mechanically just as polished as Manning, if not better. What I've come to realise is that you can't really separate these guys when it comes to numbers and what they can do to affect a football game - but you can separate them on postseason performance. Peyton Manning is my all-time favourite football player, but if Brady gets to a sixth Super Bowl, I will feel unable to make an articulate argument that Manning is better than Brady.

Peyton's first MVP in 2003 was shared with the late Steve McNair, and his '08 award was seen at the time as a somewhat lazy choice, more due to no one else stepping up than anything else. He was untouchable in '04 and '09, but so was Brady in '07 and '10. Brady has been a top 3 or 5 MVP candidate the last three seasons. Super Bowl MVPs are often lazy choices as well - Eli Manning anyone? - but its the wins that matter.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#444  Edited By pweidman

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By Phatmac

Poor Seahawks.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The Seahawks are getting embarrassed, I am not a happy camper.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447  Edited By Milkman

LOL FALCONS

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By Phatmac

Seahawks come back!!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By toowalrus

So I've got a friend who's a web designer- he made this little website where about 50ish people make our pics every week, and the 1st place winner takes about 70% of the pool. I don't really know anything about football, but I know how to internet, so I'm ahead of the 2nd place player by 7 right now- I can't lose at this point, so I've won around $700, which is awesome. What should I spend it on? New graphics card? 27-inch monitor? Maybe I should finally buy a fight stick... nah, this money is going straight into savings. Tokyo 2014.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#450  Edited By recroulette

Poor poor Falcons fans.