• 184 results
#1 Edited by Kill (298 posts) -

With the Giant Bomb Fitocracy group freshly created and over 600 workouts logged by fellow Bombers, I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to discuss fitness here in the Bomb Forums. If you're a beginner to the barbell, a martial artist, a runner, a yoga yogi, a breakdancer, or you just really like Wii Fit, this is your place to discuss all the ins and outs of fitness and maybe share some fitness humour. Any beginners can also ask questions and receive some guidance on their way to changing their body or becoming fit. Seriously, don't be shy to ask questions.

I'll kick off the discussion:

What are your fitness goals for 2013?

Don't let Rin Nakai be more swole than you, Giant Bomb!
#2 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

I am on a mass gaining diet and workout routine. I usually end up in the gym 4 days out of the week, despite my goal being 5-6 days.

#3 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:

I am on a mass gaining diet and workout routine. I usually end up in the gym 4 days out of the week, despite my goal being 5-6 days.

5-6 days a week?! Wow. I follow a four day split, couldn't imagine that workload. Which routine do you follow? 
#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

My goal is to be less of a lazy fatty. So far no progress has been made.

#5 Edited by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

@Kill said:

@EpicSteve said:

5-6 days a week?! Wow. I follow a four day split, couldn't imagine that workload. Which routine do you follow?

I'm not bodybuilder, but I follow that type of routine.

I do mostly compound movements. Meaning workouts that provide detail in the body. While my workouts improve strength, that's not the only purpose. I would be stronger faster by doing a barbell benchpress on Chest day, but doing the press with dumbbells provide the "cut" and improves strength but at a slower rate.

My workouts look like this:

Monday: Chest

Tuesday: Shoulders/abs

Wednesday: Biceps/Triceps

Thursday: Back

Friday: Legs

I also throw in cardio (a 2-3 mile run) and some lighter cardio when I'm not being completely fucking lazy.

Each day I do about 4-6 exercises, 3-4 sets, and 10-12 reps per body part. I don't have the greatest diet in the world. But I try my best to get 180g of Protien in my body per day. 1g per pound is the minimem your body needs to grow in a positive way. I eat every 2-4 hours which is the key to losing fat and gaining mass. But mind you, this has to be clean protein. I also take a Casein Protein supplement before bed. The slow digestion feeds my body during sleep.

I know this website has the word "steroids" in it. But the forums are a great place to learn about exercising and eating healthy. It's super hard shifting through the bullshit of how to actually eat healthy and what workouts to do. That site is probably the best one-stop source. It's a tad more hardcore. A lot of users are amateur body builders, but they go out of their way to help out the little guys like me.

#6 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (944 posts) -

My goal is trying to get back into shape where I was able to over 3100m in cooper test easily.

#7 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

I have been seriously training for a year now, been seeing lots of changes in the last 4 months as I jumped into a 4 day routine from Arnold's first book. It really has made a difference. Recently I started adding cardio to the end of the 4 days and that has started to help too. Looking at myself in the mirror I am starting to see definition come out instead of just size. I do cardio for an hour in between and on the weekends so I am always exercising the 7 days of the week. Gotta keep up the intensity. It is easy to do for me because I work right around the corner from the Gym so go there 5 days a week and then signed up for another gym around the corner from my house so I hit the cardio and pool every weekend.

#8 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

I eat whatever and have a protein shake that consists of 2 scoops of protein and 2 scoops of oats mixed with water after breakfast every day. Mon/Wed/Fri in the gym doing Squats every day, bench press, chin ups and deadlifts on day A, power cleans, shoulder press and pull ups on day B, cycle the two days.

My advice is to make a note of exactly what you lift every time you go so it's easier to make progress. You'll be able to measure results easier that way and be motivated to maintain steady strength gains.

#9 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -
@EpicSteve: That's some impressive dedication. What are your lifting stats on deadlift, squat, bench, OHP? 

I'm currently using an upper-lower body alternating four day split with the first two days focusing on strength (low reps, high intensity) and the last two days focusing on hypertrophy (high reps, low intensity). I sometimes fall back into a three day StrongLifts style routine if I'm busy though. 
#10 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

@Kill said:

@EpicSteve: That's some impressive dedication. What are your lifting stats on deadlift, squat, bench, OHP? I'm currently using an upper-lower body alternating four day split with the first two days focusing on strength (low reps, high intensity) and the last two days focusing on hypertrophy (high reps, low intensity). I sometimes fall back into a three day StrongLifts style routine if I'm busy though.

I really don't keep that stuff logged. I did squats today at around 250 lbs, I usually flat benchpress with 50-70lb dumbbells. Last time I did it with a bar, I was at 250lbs.

#11 Posted by kre8havoc (173 posts) -

I do about 100 miles a week on my bike, usually. I also eat an entire bag of potato chips in a sitting sometimes.

#12 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I've been training seriously for about 6 months now and have been getting pretty good results. I train at home: I love the freedom and flexibility it gives me... plus I don't have to drive to the gym everyday.

I train everyday, 12-16 sets, ~one hour. Monday arms, tuesday back, wednesday abs, thursday rest, friday legs, saturday shoulders, and sunday chest and calves.

I've been making really good progress strength wise, I've increased my flat chest press by 20 pounds in like 4 months. I also got a bench and a barbell for Christmas (had been training with dumbbells beforehand).

A bit of advice: it's really handy to log your exercises and measure your sets/reps/strength progress, but you can do whatever the fuck you wanna do.

By the way, a must-watch video for anyone interested in training:

Auf Wiedersehn.

As for my goals... I just want to get bigger, I'd be pleased with weighing 155lb by the end of the year and benching my bodyweight.

#13 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

My goal is to be less of a lazy fatty. So far no progress has been made.

I feel your pain! :'(

#14 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

Here's some motivation for you. Good luck with everything.

#15 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

My goal is to lose a little weight and increase my upper body strength which is pretty pathetic, especially in contrast to my legs strength which are freakishly strong.

I'm currently doing basic weight training 3 times a week focused on chest/triceps, back/bicep and shoulder. I've cut back on the amount I eat at each meal while making a concerted effort to get more protein in my system, especially after a workout. Hopefully I will start in on some cardio in the next few weeks to get some fat burning done as well.

#16 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

Here's some motivation for you. Good luck with everything.

Guh, that image is so douchetastic. Just work out because it's healthy and makes your life all around better not because of some crippling self doubt brought on by an Abercrombie model.

Also, what the hell is that on her hand?

#17 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

I am running my 3rd marathon in May and am hoping to do it under 3 hours. I start this weekend with my long runs with 12 miles on Sunday, increasing the long distance every weekend.

#18 Edited by psylah (2162 posts) -

I'm in there, it shouldn't be hard to tell which one is me.

#19 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

@CrossTheAtlantic: Some people need more than "It's healthy for you." Congratulations for being able to motivate yourself, but it doesn't come easy for others.

#20 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@LikeaSsur: Indeed. for a while, I was working out purely out of spite, using it as a focus to train my anger on. Now i'm in a better place (mentally anyway) and use it as a health routine.

Everyone's drive is gonna be different. Hell, if you're only working out to get chicks/dudes, great. Just don't be a creeper at the gym.

#21 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@CrossTheAtlantic: Some people need more than "It's healthy for you." Congratulations for being able to motivate yourself, but it doesn't come easy for others.

My self-loathing is a pretty good motivator, does that count?

#22 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

I'm really trying to focus on gaining more mass this year, increasing my weight to about 205 by the end of the year while still maintaining a relatively low body fat percentage.

As far as lift goes, I want to gain at least 10-20 pounds on my maxes, but if I get gains like I did last year (I went from like 225 to 260 with my bench, and 335 to 385-390 on my squat) I would be ecstatic. I'm only sixteen, so I'm not at my athletic "prime" yet and still have plenty of developing to do, so I am hopeful that my gains will increase exponentially as I get into my twenties.

Flexibility is also a big issue for me, especially in the shoulders and hamstrings, so that is something I hope to improve greatly. I started to lift very early in my life (about 12), which is fine, but as I started to get into the higher weights I didn't stretch appropriately to accommodate for this increased stress on my body. Due to this I am currently extremely tight (this is exacerbated by my natural inflexibility), I'm improving, but I believe that this is my weakest athletic point.

I'm very lucky in how I love weight lifting and exercise, so I'm glad to see that people who may not share my passion are pushing themselves to improve their physical condition. Good luck in achieving your goals Giantbombers!

#23 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Bench press 315 lbs, this is the year, I am finally almost there!

I am also cutting right now 2200 calories a day, started at 220, now I am at 210, two weeks I lost about 9lbs, I am going to cut to 205 to get lean, then make all kinds of gains!

Personally right now I am doing

Monday: Chest, Triceps, cardio

Tuesday: Core, cardio

Wednesday: Back, Biceps, cardio

Thursday: Core, cardio

Friday: Shoulders, legs, cardio

I like this thread.

#24 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I lost 109 pounds in 2012 (gained 8ish back over Christmas break... damned junk food) and plan on dropping another 30ish on top of that, then I'll have reached my goal weight. Once that happens, I'll put a bit more focus on my weight-lifting than I am right now.

#25 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@xobballox: 109 lbs in a year? Christ... Good work dude.

#26 Edited by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

So I decided to start working out as a way to direct my energies and overcome cravings from years and years of heavy drinking. So far I've been exercising and have kept with my changed diet for 7-ish months now and have been drink free, after a rough start, for about 4-5 months. When I started I weighed 250 lbs. I weigh 217 lbs. now. I'm trying to get down to 180 lbs. before next year. I'm about 6 ft. tall for a reference.

I workout six days a week running 2.5-4 miles each day ranging from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. I do an upper body workout with what little weights I have as well as non-weight-based exercises (like push-ups) every other day (so 3 days a week) for anywhere between 30-45 minutes. I've tried to change my diet quite a bit. I've added a lot more fruit, cut out all sugar-based drinks minus an occasional Coke, drink a ton of tea, and have tried to use more organic foods (which are expensive as hell by the way). I stay away from eating out (unless it's some occasion) or overly fatty foods.

It's working out so far. The issues I have is getting used to a routine and not pushing myself. I also sometimes just want to go out and eat like I used to. Not having a whole large pizza for myself and then feeling like shit later is oddly rough. But I've been pretty consistent so far.

#27 Posted by golguin (3848 posts) -

I would like to get back to maxing 3 plates on the bench, but an injury has kept me at 275. I don't want to injure myself again and lose 6 months.

#28 Posted by Vinny_Says (5690 posts) -

I did 30k on a bike 6 days a week during my weight loss phase but now it's down to 3 times a week at most. Now that I've reached my weight goal I'm kind of out of workout ideas. It's a little boring to sit there and listen to music while riding.

I'm thinking about building a six pack but I really don't know where to start. There's a thin layer of fat on my stomach and I can't seem to get rid of it. Any help is appreciated :)

And no I don't lift, bro, but I do about 150 pushups a day (sets of 30). I'm not really looking to build muscle but I'd be interested in increasing my core strength. Those are my fitness goals for the year.

#29 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

I did 30k on a bike 6 days a week during my weight loss phase but now it's down to 3 times a week at most. Now that I've reached my weight goal I'm kind of out of workout ideas. It's a little boring to sit there and listen to music while riding.

I'm thinking about building a six pack but I really don't know where to start. There's a thin layer of fat on my stomach and I can't seem to get rid of it. Any help is appreciated :)

And no I don't lift, bro, but I do about 150 pushups a day (sets of 30). I'm not really looking to build muscle but I'd be interested in increasing my core strength. Those are my fitness goals for the year.

Ironically, doing 150 push-ups a day will build more muscle than lifting weights the way you are approaching it...

If you are only interested in building core strength, keep reps low and weight high. The best way to build mass is high reps, moderate weight so avoid this. It always makes me laugh when guys say they don't want to lift because they don't want to build muscle as if building muscle is super easy. It takes months, years of hard work and motivation to build even a few pounds of genuine muscle mass. If you want to build up your core strength but not your body, try a routine like Starting Strength or StrongLifts. THESE ROUTINES ARE DESIGNED TO BUILD STRENGTH, NOT MASS.

Also, abs will appear naturally once your body fat drops low enough. You can't spot reduce fat, even if you do millions of sit-ups. All you can do is cut down as far as you can and they will appear.

#30 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

14% body fat is when most people start to show their abs if they have them, the key is to lose more weight and work your core a few times a week, then they'll start to show.

The only time I ever had my abs show through was when I got sick and weighed only 185 lbs, too skinny for my taste. And Pushups will tone you up, but they won't build much mass so you're good on that front.

#31 Posted by Vinny_Says (5690 posts) -

@Kill said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Ironically, doing 150 push-ups a day will build more muscle than lifting weights the way you are approaching it...

If you are only interested in building core strength, keep reps low and weight high. The best way to build mass is high reps, moderate weight so avoid this. It always makes me laugh when guys say they don't want to lift because they don't want to build muscle as if building muscle is super easy. It takes months, years of hard work and motivation to build even a few pounds of genuine muscle mass. If you want to build up your core strength but not your body, try a routine like Starting Strength or StrongLifts. THESE ROUTINES ARE DESIGNED TO BUILD STRENGTH, NOT MASS.

Also, abs will appear naturally once your body fat drops low enough. You can't spot reduce fat, even if you do millions of sit-ups. All you can do is cut down as far as you can and they will appear.

meh, I enjoy doing the pushups so whatever, if I gain muscle mass then so be it. I just don't want to lift weights, regardless of the effects or difficulty, it just doesn't interest me right now. Maybe I should change that and finally bring my ass to the gym someday. I heard balancing on a ball while doing pushups helps with core strenght, is there any truth to that? What do you reccomend?

I was hoping there was a quicker way to reduce body fat % than just the usual cutting down on sugars, alcohol, ect. and aerobic/anaerobic exercise.....oh well patience is a virtue right?

#32 Posted by Kill (298 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

I was hoping there was a quicker way to reduce body fat % than just the usual cutting down on sugars, alcohol, ect. and aerobic/anaerobic exercise.....oh well patience is a virtue right?

There are a few ways to lose it, like intermittent fasting or an ECA stack. For intermittent fasting, you choose a 6-8 hour slot in the day, say 12-8pm, for you to eat all your meals then fast the rest of the time. It puts your body in a fasted state during half of the hours of the day and is proven to cut fat. ECA stack is basically a combination of legal over the counter drugs which cause medically proven RAPID weight loss when combined with eating less:

#33 Edited by granderojo (1778 posts) -

God damnit I hate fitocracy, their system is geared toward skinny-fat bullshit. That said great thread, when I was working out before the holidays I was running a 5k everyday and going 4-5 days a week. I will get back on that routine when I stop being sick.

#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@thabigred said:

God damnit I hate fitocracy, their system is geared toward skinny-fat bullshit. That said great thread, when I was working out before the holidays I was running a 5k everyday and going 4-5 days a week. I will get back on that routine when I stop being sick.

I just use it as a good way to track exercise. I can put in workouts anywhere that I have access to an internet browser, which is anywhere I have cell phone reception.

@Kill said:

@Vinny_Says said:

There are a few ways to lose it, like intermittent fasting or an ECA stack. For intermittent fasting, you choose a 6-8 hour slot in the day, say 12-8pm, for you to eat all your meals then fast the rest of the time. It puts your body in a fasted state during half of the hours of the day and is proven to cut fat. ECA stack is basically a combination of legal over the counter drugs which cause medically proven RAPID weight loss when combined with eating less:

Otherwise known as "the pussy methodology."

You can thank the Master Sergeant at my last recruiting station for that bit of wisdom.

Just do the work. You'll be able to maintain yourself much easier because you'll be fit, you'll be MUCH healthier, happier, have more energy, and be able to enjoy more food if you just work for it. And the best part is, working out is practically free. Technically, it is free if you are creative. Just pick up cheap dumbells (no, not the granny ones) and the rest you can do with body weight and something to grab on to.

I'm trying to gain a lot of mass and strength. I'm scrawny as fuck, my metabolism, which used to be godly, is now pretty pathetic, and my diet is tiny.

Until I get time to figure out a better routine, I've pretty much just been doing basic PT with a few twists.

I wake up at 0400, drink a decent glass of nice cold water, and start stretching and warming up a bit. Go for a quick run (It's been a while since I last ran, so I can run a 7 minute mile, but I can't run much more than a mile at this point because I'm being a pussy. My goal for the next month and a half is to get to 3 miles without losing much of that pace. I need to get my miles down to 6 minutes a mile for at least 3 miles before boot camp, so that's my ultimate goal.

After my run, I come home, cool down, and nibble on some protein. Builder bar, usually. Then I start with pull ups with my legs out at a 90° angle, mostly because I don't have a high enough bar to just do a free hang, lol. Then it's crunches (not sit ups, and I try to do as proper a crunch as I can, instead of blasting them out), and then pushups. Lately I've been trying Renegade Pushups as well as normal, but the problem is my weights are pretty shitty, and they slide around all over the damn place and are generally not great for it. Then I pretty much repeat that over and over as long as I can go or until I get bored, usually watching something on Netflix or if I'm lucky, new GB content.

Then occasionally I do other stuff, rows and dumbbell presses, stuff like that.

I've just started back up again with really working out, and I'm not super happy with myself for stopping, For one, I'm pretty pathetic at the moment, and for another it sucks getting back on track. You're sore and miserable. Not much fun. But, I just need to push myself harder.

@Vinny_Says: Balancing is always a good way to work out the core in particular, because your core is designed to keep you upright. It does most of the work keeping your balance, and so you'll definitely feel it in your core when you have to struggle to keep balanced. It's sort of like blanking on steroids, because your core is actively fighting the wobbles AND keeping you up. Plus, it changes the angle of your pushups, which targets different muscles that aren't used as much. It's definitely helpful. I have a little mini barrel in my room that I use, that thing likes to tip over at the slightest bit of movement, and it's big enough to give me a decent incline on pushups. Something like a basketball would be good. The softer it is, the less you'll have to work.

#35 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@thabigred said:

I just use it as a good way to track exercise. I can put in workouts anywhere that I have access to an internet browser, which is anywhere I have cell phone reception.

I just don't like it because the database they use and achievements you can unlock are clearly meant to appeal to people who are more serious about light cardio. People who are more into harder forms of cardio and even weightlifting are held back by their database. It's clearly geared towards the low end because I think that's who the app is targeting tbh.

#36 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I go to gym classes three times a week and use the gym facility once a week so all in all four times a week. The problem is the food side of things, I enjoy going to the gym and often work hard, but I enjoy food to much to stop eating things like curry, chips, currys etc. I mean thats not all I eat, but I eat enough for it to stop me getting more fit.

My goal is is to drop a jeans size, I am on 32 right now and would like to be on 30.

#37 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I go to gym classes three times a week and use the gym facility once a week so all in all four times a week. The problem is the food side of things, I enjoy going to the gym and often work hard, but I enjoy food to much to stop eating things like curry, chips, currys etc. I mean thats not all I eat, but I eat enough for it to stop me getting more fit.

My goal is is to drop a jeans size, I am on 32 right now and would like to be on 30.

I could be wrong, but isn't 32 pretty normal? Maybe even on the skinny side? I'm scrawny and pretty tall, and I wear either 30x32 or 32x30.

@thabigred: Oh, yeah, that's fair. They could maybe use a "custom" option. I definitely had issues finding stuff, especially doing a lot of "military" style exercises that just weren't in the database or if they were, they were named something bizarre.

#38 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: I used to be a size 28, I feel quite fat now to be quite honest.

#39 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@MordeaniisChaos: I used to be a size 28, I feel quite fat now to be quite honest.

Hmm. Well to each his own. I wouldn't try to get too much smaller unless you're tiny in general, though.

#40 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: I just find myself more attractive if I am skinny.

#41 Posted by Franstone (1093 posts) -

I try to get to the gym 4 times a week but sometimes can't only get in 3.

Start with stationary bike to at least get my heart rate up before hitting the machines.

One day is shoulders and tri's the next day is back and bi's and try to switch it up as much as possible.

I don't work out my legs as often since when there is no snow on the ground I mt. bike whenever I can.

After every 3rd machine I use (try to hit 9-12 machines each visit) I throw in an ab exercise.

Once I'm done with lifting I hit the elliptical for 15-30 mins depending on how much time I have.

#42 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Hizang: That's fine, but if you're not really short/small, anything below a 28 is getting into unhealthily thin. That's all I'm saying. I think the healthy range is like 28-36 for an adult male. I'm about 6 foot, and I'm pretty scrawny with a jean waist size of 30 (which is comfortably loose). In fact, I'm bordering on unhealthy. I have a ridiculously low body fat number and I'm a touch underweight. In fact, if I don't gain some weight before boot camp, their probably going to put me on a bigger diet than most recruits. I'm in good shape and I'm not sickly or anything, but I'm not where I should be either. Better to be healthy than to adhere to your idea of "attractive" ya know? Just be careful. Being smaller isn't always more healthy.

#43 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

don't do EC Stack.

#44 Edited by Kill (298 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I'm trying to gain a lot of mass and strength. I'm scrawny as fuck, my metabolism, which used to be godly, is now pretty pathetic, and my diet is tiny.

Until I get time to figure out a better routine, I've pretty much just been doing basic PT with a few twists.

I wake up at 0400, drink a decent glass of nice cold water, and start stretching and warming up a bit. Go for a quick run (It's been a while since I last ran, so I can run a 7 minute mile, but I can't run much more than a mile at this point because I'm being a pussy. My goal for the next month and a half is to get to 3 miles without losing much of that pace. I need to get my miles down to 6 minutes a mile for at least 3 miles before boot camp, so that's my ultimate goal.

Why would you do cardio if you're focusing on gaining mass and strength? That just means you'll have to eat way more daily in order to fit your macros and put on mass. That would also be the reason you're sore and tired all the time.

Also, I wasn't advocating the EC stack or IF. I think they are nothing more than tools someone can use to achieve their goals. IF in particular is very powerful and completely natural. Honestly, I'm not even strictly against the use of steroids if someone is careful with them. I haven't touched them, but I don't look down on someone who would. Just another tool.

#45 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

/fit/ in my GB. Cool w me.

#46 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

It's cool that GB has a Fitocracy group. I'm headed to the gym in a bit, so I'll add my points to our grand total. I'm going for weight loss this year to help out my bum knee. I cut out milk for a few weeks and it made a big impact, plus I felt a lot better by avoiding cheese. I actually somehow managed to lose weight over the holidays.

@thabigred said:

I've tried a few different tracking apps, and I haven't really liked any of them. That being said, simply tracking my workouts is a huge motivator (as is tracking my food intake), so I don't really care how I do it, just that I do. I like LoseIt, but Fitocracy is a bit more fun to use.

#47 Posted by TheFreepie (82 posts) -

I hardly ever exercise and eat shitty food, yet I look malnourished. I'm one of those people. I don't have the commitment to ever get into making myself fit, I imagine I'll be morbidly obese by the age of 30 once my metabolism slows down

#48 Posted by Osaladin (2514 posts) -

I go to the gym every weekday. Alternate between working out my upper body and lower body. I don't go too hard, not trying to gain too much bulk, just toning out. After that I go on at least a 15 mile bike ride which takes about 45 minutes.

#49 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@skrutop said:

It's cool that GB has a Fitocracy group. I'm headed to the gym in a bit, so I'll add my points to our grand total. I'm going for weight loss this year to help out my bum knee. I cut out milk for a few weeks and it made a big impact, plus I felt a lot better by avoiding cheese. I actually somehow managed to lose weight over the holidays.

@thabigred said:

I've tried a few different tracking apps, and I haven't really liked any of them. That being said, simply tracking my workouts is a huge motivator (as is tracking my food intake), so I don't really care how I do it, just that I do. I like LoseIt, but Fitocracy is a bit more fun to use.

Adding achievements in the form of an app is such a good idea to working out. I just wish someone would make an app for people who actually train instead of the sort of shit that is in fitocracy. Like Yelp it's an app that is a wonderful sound concept that is held back by inane design issues.

#50 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

I took care of the fat part a while ago (probably a bit overzealously, as I got a little underweight, but at least I was able to make healthy eating the norm during that time), and it left me with a somewhat meager frame. So I've been on a strength/muscle routine for a while now, working out 4-5 days a week, and I'd say it's going quite well. I mostly focus on bodyweight exercises (e.g. pull-ups, push-ups, squats) with a good amount of freeweights thrown in. I guess I'd consider it a crossfit-esque workout routine, with lots of variation, muscle confusion, high-intensity, etc. But by far, the single best investment I've made is a $20 pull-up bar from Amazon. It's really amazing what just lifting your own body can accomplish. Pull-ups are definitely one of the best exercises someone getting into fitness can do, but unfortunately they're also one of the most difficult. The barrier to entry can be quite steep if you're not very strong, and when I first started, I could barely do one single proper overhand pull-up. I also try to hit the trail and hike at least once a week, where I thrown in some incline sprints (which are fucking gnarly btw).

The biggest revelation of it all, though, is that to achieve mass gains (at my height, weight, activity level, etc.), I have to eat around 3,000 calories a day, and a shit-ton of protein. This was the biggest mistake I made in the early-goings (along with not giving myself enough recovery time), in which I worked really hard, but didn't see much gain.

And of course, Zyzz serves as one of my main sources of inspiration.