• 66 results
#1 Posted by Choffy (440 posts) -

For most of my life, I've been overweight. While I didn't look it, I weighed close to 300 pounds a few weeks ago. But since then, I've lost about 10 pounds in a month and have felt a lot better. But it's tough, so I've decided to make a little competition, since I'm sure everyone could lose at least a few pounds. Here are the rules:

• Before the end of Monday, February 20th, users must submit two pictures: one of themselves (shirt on or off, I don't care), and a picture of themselves on a scale with the weight visible.
  • Every week, contestants must submit the same two pictures (themselves and scale) to prove that they actually are dropping weight and not just bullshitting some random numbers.
  • Contest ends Sunday, May 20, 2012 (just in time for swimsuit season!)

To make things interesting, I'll throw up a $50 gift card to the gaming service of their choice (Xbox Live, PSN, Steam, etc.) to the person who loses the biggest percentage of their weight (a 250 pound man that loses 25 pounds would win over a 400 pound man who loses 30), and second place will win $20. FREE MONEY FOR LOSING WEIGHT AND LOOKING SEXIER. What more could you want.

Either PM me the details or, better yet, you can post your starting information in this thread to help motivate other people. I'll post mine tomorrow.

Good luck, and if there is anything I left out, or is vague, let me know and I'll fix it.

#2 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

300 pounds?! That's almost 3 times what I weigh.

Anyway good luck fatties. (sorry couldn't resist)

#3 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

I'm an Ectomorph (fast metabolism, naturally slender build), so putting on weight it almost impossible. That might seem great to some, but I work out and its difficult when your metabolism rips through all of your food intake before you have a chance to supply nutrients to your muscle. If your overweight you want to lose it, if you underweight you want to gain it... nothings ever simple, eh?

Anyway, good luck Duders. You can do it!!

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

I'm an Ectomorph (fast metabolism, naturally slender build), so putting on weight it almost impossible. That might seem great to some, but I work out and its difficult when your metabolism rips through all of your food intake before you have a chance to supply nutrients to your muscle. If your overweight you want to lose it, if you underweight you want to gain it... nothings ever simple, eh?

Yeah me too. My arms are quite toned for what they are from weighlifting but they're still very thin, especially my wrists holy god damn. I seem to break down food incredibly quick because I get hungry so fast after having dinner.

#5 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

Yeah I pretty much would I have said that. Got the same "problem" with eating so fucking much (can eat a full X-Large Pizza and a few sandwiches for dinner and still have some space) and I weigh 84kg (185 pounds) and am 6"2 so pretty much skinny. But the people I respect the most in the gym are people like @Choffy: , you know you're overweight and you work on it. Good luck buddy really wish you the best to you and all contestants.

#6 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

This is far too flawed, im not a fat boy but if I was I would be using different fit t shirts and just clocking my scales to make it seem like I had lost the most weight. To be honest for $50 I would use photoshop to make myself look slimmer.

#7 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@LethalKi11ler: You heard of Body Mass Index? Based on your height and weight your listed in the normal range, you should be happy :)

@Sooty: How many meals do you usually eat per day? I have 5-6 typically, but its not a matter of 'little and often', those meals are really big; basically eating 2 days worth. Do you track nutritional stats? (Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein etc) I track it for every single meal. Lastly do you eat healthy?

I drink water, juice from concentrate (Squash) and occasional milk (various - whole, soy, almond); no fizzy drinks, coffee etc. For food I try to avoid high sugar intake and high saturated fats, yes that means little to no chocolate, ice cream, cakes; basically anything sweet like that. On top of that; cheese, meat, crisps (US: chips) and basically anything fried are full of bad fats (saturated/trans) so again I limit those a lot. Its really all about the healthy fats found in; oils (olive, sesame, sunflower), nuts and soy.

Weirdly enough I was just talking about this stuff with someone yesterday, but the point I kept making was about commitment; you have to be committed to it. Working out, changing eating habits; its a life change, not something you can do for a year then never go back to. When you make workout gains then stop you will lose muscle mass and strength; muscle doesn't turn to fat though, that is a complete myth. I can't stress that enough.

Again, good luck to Choffy and anyone else who joins him.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

@Sooty: How many meals do you usually eat per day? I have 5-6 typically, but its not a matter of 'little and often', those meals are really big; basically eating 2 days worth. Do you track nutritional stats? (Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein etc) I track it for every single meal. Lastly do you eat healthy?

I drink water, juice from concentrate (Squash) and occasional milk (various - whole, soy, almond); no fizzy drinks, coffee etc. For food I try to avoid high sugar intake and high saturated fats, yes that means little to no chocolate, ice cream, cakes; basically anything sweet like that. On top of that; cheese, meat, crisps (US: chips) and basically anything fried are full of bad fats (saturated/trans) so again I limit those a lot. Its really all about the healthy fats found in; oils (olive, sesame, sunflower), nuts and soy.

Weirdly enough I was just talking about this stuff with someone yesterday, but the point I kept making was about commitment; you have to be committed to it. Working out, changing eating habits; its a life change, not something you can do for a year then never go back to. When you make workout gains then stop you will lose muscle mass and strength; muscle doesn't turn to fat though, that is a complete myth. I can't stress that enough.

Again, good luck to Choffy and anyone else who joins him.

I don't eat healthy at all, well I don't think I do.

Yesterday I had chicken tikka curry, a 14" pizza, 2 sausages with mash potato and some colliflower. I usually eat way more but we don't have much food in the house right now. I do drink lots and lots of water though, never drink coke (sometimes at restaurants but rarely) and I take multi-vitamin tablets once a day, usually have a coffee in the morning and maybe again later in the day too. Going to finally join a gym later this year to improve my stamina, although I don't think my stamina is bad as it is.

My BMI says I'm underweight, 177cm height and weigh around 8.5kg, doh.

#9 Edited by thevigilanteoflove (504 posts) -

I think I am definitely going to do this. Should I just post the pictures in here or send you a PM?

#10 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

Sounds fun, but I'm 6ft and usually around 155-160, so losing weight isn't something I can really do healthily lol.

#11 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

I'm 6"2 and 270 pounds, which according to BMI means I'm morbidly obese. I probably should do this. I've been waiting for a good excuse to lose some weight.

I'll think about it...

#12 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1232 posts) -

I lost 80 pounds like two years ago...Do I have to gain it all back haha (I weighed like 225)

#13 Edited by Mageman (351 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

Errr, nobodies metabolism is super fast if that person is sedentary. If you want to gain wait simply eat more, and by eat more I mean eat a lot of calories, no way is your body gonna burn through them without some heavy training. Thermodynamics is a law of nature, if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. And nobody can burn a lot of calories without moving, this is fact. People are skinny or fat not because of their base metabolism (which does not have much variation, it does to some extend but can only be heavily altered by training) but because of their shitty habits.

Also eating unhealthy food does not really mean you eat ''a lot'', you have to count calories to gain and lose weight.

#14 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

I'm ready for this shit. Will post stuff later.

#15 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

I'll be honest that fifty dollars sounds tempting but the public shame of these pictures to get me motivated sounds even better. I just hope to get back to 175. I don't expect to make it there in that time frame but it would be a hell of a start.

W0lfbl1tzers

216.5 Pounds

5'8"

#16 Edited by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

I love this idea, but I don't think many people will be up for submitting pictures of themselves and pictures of their scales. I myself am very overweight (~360 lb) and am trying to lose weight. And I'm not shy of posting a picture or two of myself online, but I'd be reluctant to do so in this sort of thing. A lot of people overweight will be low on self esteem and be extremely reluctant to post pictures like that on the internet. It seems like a far better idea to me to do it relying on trust. Ask people to report their weights and stats without photos or anything like that. Yes, it's open to abuse, but if you scrap the prizes I don't see why that matters - it's about members of the Giant Bomb community making themselves healthier. If one or two people want to lie, they're only really cheating themselves. No one can take the real achievements away from the people who have really lost weight via this. The prizes should be losing weight and being healtheir. Doing it as a competition may encourage people to do things that are unhealthy in order to lose more weight. Losing weight is great, but it is possible to do too much too quickly and doing that is incredibly unsafe and can lead to serious health issues.

So basically, it's great to try and arrange a weight loss initiative for Giant Bomb members, but doing it this way probably isn't going to attract people, and it'll also potentially encourage unsafe behaviour.

#17 Posted by Choffy (440 posts) -
@MattyFTM True, and there's no perfect way to hold a competition like this, but dangling a carrot in front of some people should be enough and it's the only way I could think of.

And if you're desperate enough for $50 to continue to lie for 3 months and take it away for people trying to improve themselves, they should take a long, hard look in the mirror.
#18 Posted by Choffy (440 posts) -
@TooWalrus @Atlas I encourage you guys to do it. You can PM me if you want, I'm not going to post the pictures. It's simply for me to see the weight actually coming off. Posting publicly (for some) can be great motivation though, so if you want to go that route than by all means go ahead.
#19 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

@Mageman said:

@IkariNoTekken said:

Errr, nobodies metabolism is super fast if that person is sedentary. If you want to gain wait simply eat more, and by eat more I mean eat a lot of calories, no way is your body gonna burn through them without some heavy training. Thermodynamics is a law of nature, if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. And nobody can burn a lot of calories without moving, this is fact. People are skinny or fat not because of their base metabolism (which does not have much variation, it does to some extend but can only be heavily altered by training) but because of their shitty habits.

Also eating unhealthy food does not really mean you eat ''a lot'', you have to count calories to gain and lose weight.

This! I'm of the same body type and you really just are not eating enough regardless of what you think. If you want to gain weight you need to lift heavy things and put them down again.

#20 Edited by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

@Mageman: Or you could try not being an idiot and read his other post, and see that he indeed eats a lot of nutritional food.

Anyway, I used to be borderline underweight, but then I managed to bring myself up to bang on the middle of the healthy BMI bit for my height, ironically, during my visit to the US where I ate nothing but beef burgers, as everything else looked so unappetising. I am happy with my weight now at least, and I wish luck upon anyone else who wants to change theirs. Well, not luck, but something that helps with motivation.

#21 Posted by weegieanawrench (1935 posts) -

@LethalKi11ler said:

@IkariNoTekken said:

Yeah I pretty much would I have said that. Got the same "problem" with eating so fucking much (can eat a full X-Large Pizza and a few sandwiches for dinner and still have some space) and I weigh 84kg (185 pounds) and am 6"2 so pretty much skinny. But the people I respect the most in the gym are people like @Choffy: , you know you're overweight and you work on it. Good luck buddy really wish you the best to you and all contestants.

This is pretty much me minus 10 pounds. I'm pretty bad to my body though. A lot of junk, no tracking, and little exercise. Once summer comes around, that will change. Good luck to all the duders attempting this!

#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'm probably sitting at about 190 right now, and I'm six foot. While I don't look fat in any respect, I can certainly feel it around my hips and thighs, and it's been something that's bothering me for quite some time. I'll probably participate in this, and not because of whatever the carrot is, but because I see others interested in dropping weight and it's motivating.

I just have a few tips for the OP @Choffy:

I think it would be better to do this every two weeks. Once a week is kind of a lot to ask for, and there won't be much of a difference in a seven-day period unless you are absolutely starving yourself, or over-working your body.

You should put some general helpful tips for people who want to get started, that they can do. Maybe listing out ten or fifteen helpful, basic tips of losing weight/exercising would be good instead of, "upload pictures NOW GO!"

This is a really good idea, but it just seems really ill-defined.

#23 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Fuuuuuuck. Why couldn't you have done this last year? Went from 285 to 180 since last May. Anyways, wish all you guys luck. It's definitely possible and pretty easy once you get in the routine of eating right/exercising every day. Just look at it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet. It helped me and I haven't looked back since

#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

This is a good idea, good luck everyone. Last summer, I got serious about exercising. I've been overweight, not too fat, but my stomach stuck out quite a bit. I started doing a lot of push ups, crunches, and dumbbell curls. I also started to practice moderation; I ate less food and fought back the urge of unnecessary snacking. I went from 190lbs to 155lbs, which is good a good weight for my height (5' 8") and age (25).

#25 Posted by ZombiePie (5583 posts) -

I would participate but my body is actually underweight according to my doctor. 

#26 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -

Fantastic idea. Many people want to lose weight, but it is hard without the motivation and support of others. As a formerly morbidly obese man who went from 240lbs to 160, the first two months are the hardest. Push yourself into that new routine and you're good to go.

Two pieces of advice that I can give...

Use a calorie journal. Myfitnesspal is the one I used and you'd be fucking surprised how essential it was.

Don't worry about exercising obsessively, you'll burn yourself out. Simply walking a few extra miles is a good way to start building up that drive to exercise. I personally find gyms and lifting and all that shit boring as all hell, so this was my biggest problem. When you think you can handle it, I'd recommend trying HIIT. You'll feel like you're going die every time you finish, but it works and is far less boring than sitting on a stationary bike for an hour.

#27 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

I lost 15 lbs. a year ago, on my doctor's advice, mainly by not drinking pop - and skipping sugar snacks.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I'm not overweight, I still wear small T-Shirts and I can fit in to size 30 Jeans nicely. Although recently I've been finding Medium T-Shirts much more cosy.

#29 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I'm not overweight, I still wear small T-Shirts and I can fit in to size 30 Jeans nicely. Although recently I've been finding Medium T-Shirts much more cosy.

Then you've come to the right thread...

#30 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: Ok so when I stretch with my small T-Shirts on my belly does show, but that is the intended style.

#31 Posted by DukesT3 (1891 posts) -

6"0 and I weigh 240ish.. maybe more? I should probably get on this.. I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten close to 300

#32 Edited by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -

I'm 6"0 to 6"1, I think. I'm between 240 to 250 (I hope but I will weigh myself again). I use to be a fit athlete because I played soccer in high school with a six pack and everything. I've fallen pretty far and I hate it. I always tell myself I'm going to do something about it but I never do. This could help me keep going for once.

I just weighed myself but my scale sucks . First it says 239.5 and than a second time 241. So I'm going to say I'm in between 240 and 245. Once again scale says differently but 240.4 is when I took the picture.

I'd like to take pics once a month or maybe every 2 weeks as every week seems a bit too much.

#33 Posted by ProfessorEss (7280 posts) -

I recently lost 10 pounds that I've been trying to drop for over a decade (180 to 170). It'd probably be closer to 15 but I also manged to add a little weight to my arms and shoulders. Slightly better diet, pushups, an hour of hard drumming a day and an occasional side of Dance Central has been working pretty good for me.

...oh and Light Beer, because no matter how bad I want to drop a few I ain't doing it by not drinking beer.

#34 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

Good luck to everyone in this. I've lost almost 30 pounds since mid-December and plan on losing more.

#35 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I've lost 120 pounds over the last year. 330 to 210 Anyone who even has a small desire to lose weight, do it. It's the best thing. Lately I've been slacking though. That's mostly due to not being able to walk, weather has been ass.

#36 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

yeah no, sorry, I think you need a vagina to participate in slimming clubs.. Man up, cut out the chips and maybe consider visiting the gym once in a while? :-O

#37 Posted by Hailinel (23879 posts) -

I'm not what anyone would consider overweight (6'4" and weighed in at about 195lbs at a recent doctor's visit), but I had been slacking in my martial arts lately and not eating as well as I could be. I'm trying to change that.

#38 Edited by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

I lost a ton of weight awhile ago, so I'm not gonna participate in this because I'm comfortable where I am right now. But I guess I could offer advice for those participating if you want...

So, first of all, I didn't necessarily go on a "diet". I just cut back on the amount of food that I was eating. (Well, I didn't drink any soda for a year, which may have helped. But I didn't do that 'cause I wanted to loose weight, it was just because it was a bet. But hey, you probably shouldn't drink soda.) Hell, I probably ate pretty bad while I was loosing weight. It's just I didn't eat as much. I mean, yeah you should probably eat like broccoli instead of pizza or something, but why not just eat one piece of pizza instead of three or four (or however many you usually eat.)? No, you will not starve if you only eat a single piece of pizza and a glass of water, though it does take a lot of self control not to just say "ah, just one more piece" or "hmm, I'm still a bit hungry"

Second, water is your friend. At first, you will never want water, but as I started to sub it for other drinks, I began to actually want it instead of those other drinks. I know, it's crazy. When I would go out to eat (which you probably shouldn't do very often if you want to loose weight), I would order water. It's weird at first, trust me. But eventually it will become natural to get a water. You just have to power through it.

My third bit of advice is to run (or jog) Running is one of the the simplest form of exercise. Though if you live somewhere where it gets pretty cold in the winter, you might have to wait until it warms up a bit if you don't have a treadmill. I used to HATE running. But I had only ever gone for a run on the treadmill in my basement. It was only when I first tried going for a run through my neighborhood that I really started to enjoy it. It was nice to be outside, a podcast in my ears, and to just run. I started off at a 30 minute run, and in the beginning I had a terrible pace. But slowly, as I ran every day, I started to improve. Once I could almost run flat out for 30 minutes, I started to increase my time. Now, I do hour long runs (though not as often now that it's winter)

My last bit of advice is to use MapMyFitness. It is a wonderful site. If you go for a run, you can actually map it out, drawing a line over a map (i think it uses google maps). Then you enter your time, and it will tell you your pace. You can also log workouts, including runs and anything else that you did. This will tell you about how many calories you burned. And, you can log what you ate throughout the day. When you have logged workouts and what you ate, it will tell you if you went over the recommended calories for the day (decided by your age, weight, and activity level). It is a incredibly useful tool.

That is my advice. If you think it's bullshit, you don't have to follow it. I'm not an expert in loosing weight, I'm just talking from the real experience that I had with it awhile ago. There are no "tricks" to loosing weight like every one seems to want to make you feel. It all comes down to hard work and self control. This won't be easy, but in the end it will be worth it. And while you working out, enjoy yourself. Don't make it something you dread. Make it something that you look forwards to every day; a time when you are working to change yourself.

Okay I'm done. Did anyone actually read all of that?

#39 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I am literally a walking skeleton so I guess this isn't for me, there should be a weight gain competition though I'd probably lose horribly, I am incapable of gaining weight. (Not bragging or anything, wish I could put on some weight.)

#40 Posted by SomeJerk (3141 posts) -

I'm thinking about this but muscles and nerves are busted  and broke-ass (especially legs, arms and my back) rendering me incapable of any other form of weight loss than drinking five shakes of diet-powder mixes every day for a full RDI of everything I need. Blargh :<

I'll do my little thing by the side and watch how you guys progress, good luck.

#41 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Props to the OP for giving people an incentive and making it a competition to lose weight. I recently cut down from 275 to 185 and I'm 6'4. I'm a personal trainer at my gym and I'm training to be a natural amateur bodybuilder.

Tips for everyone trying to lose weight. CUT OUT ALL SUGAR (Limit the fruit), count your calories, eat smaller and more meals, cut out all junk food and drink about 3-4 litres(a gallon) of water a day.

Good luck duders!

#42 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Thanks for the back up there. Obviously missed everything I said about eating healthy and tracking nutritional stats for every single meal. Been doing that for years.

@Mageman: @blueduck: Also been body building for good time now so I'd like to think I know a little more than most. Certainly not as much as some; I have several body building idols and they know pretty much everything you need to know about workout regimes, muscle structure, diets etc.

I know enough to know that when someone refers to metabolism speeds they don't actually only mean how fast your body digests. The phrase 'fast metabolism' (especially when used in the body building community) usually refers to how your body quickly rejects certain nutrients instead of storing them. An Ectomorph is commonly referred to as a 'hard gainer' because their metabolism seems to get rid of a lot nutrients that would help the person put on weight. This is why Ectomorphs are slim...

This is why to this very day, my workout regime is focused on short high intensity workouts, very little cardio training and ample rest periods. My diet is also governed by my natural build; very high calorie (see: caloric surplus) but still incredibly healthy and typically also fast digesting - when you struggle to put on weight you need fast digesting food as it obviously allows you to eat more meals. 5-6 healthy high calorie meals a day, and high intensity 3-day split workout... has it worked? Yes, it has.

I apologise to BlueDuck if it seemed as though I was posting from a "I can't gain anything" point of view, as that is not at all true. I have had great gains in both muscle and weight (due to muscle weighing more than fat) over the years. As this thread is focused on users who consider themselves overweight, I just wanted to post a comment from a Ectomorph angle showing that some of us are on the flip side.

Anyway, I want to again end this message with a good luck to the people participating... Good Luck Duders!!!

#43 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

Good luck to all working at this. I've dropped 25 pounds this month by using Runkeeper to map my biking and running cycles. Just starting running again and feels good. Plus I've been cutting out the McDick's. Best of luck to all.

#44 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken said:

I drink water, juice from concentrate (Squash) and occasional milk (various - whole, soy, almond); no fizzy drinks, coffee etc. For food I try to avoid high sugar intake and high saturated fats

I recommend your advice of no sugar , but I would also like to add a few things to that: 1. No starchy carbohydrates. 2. Eating plenty of monosaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated fats. Those fats aren't bad for you consumed in the proper portions, of course. 3. Just to be as specific as possible, added sugar, especially the highly processed high fructose corn syrup, is very bad for those trying to lose weight. Naturally occurring sugar is to be consumed as fruits and vegetables are important to all diets.

Furthermore, I recommend not eating soy as they can have high amounts of GMO's, and are typically loaded with MSG, another harmful ingredient.

Essentially, I recommend the Atkins diet except do not consume products with dangerous artificial sweeteners and those with GMO's.

#45 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (864 posts) -

@IkariNoTekken: Thank you for putting a name to my "condition"! I never seem to manage to gain weight, and was bullied quite a lot due to that when I was younger. I do try to work out now and then, but it is hard sometimes due to a spinal injury I have. So short, intense workout and high calorie food should work? Wonder if I can set up a plan for that on MapMyFitness...

Anyway, I wish all of the participants of this well! All respect to you for actually trying to do something about something you are not happy about. More than I have managed to do.

#46 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy: Soy is not a particularly big part of my diet but when I do have it I have fermented soy such as; Tempeh or Miso. These are non-GM and have been through a fermentation procedure; improving the quality of the soy and removing the toxins that are considered dangerous by health analysts. When someone says Asian countries have been eating soy for thousands of years and haven't had problems it is because of fermented soy. Unfortunately genetically modified soy is commonplace across a lot of the world and is also 'hidden' in products you would not expect it to be in.

Meat can also contain dangerous toxins and can be cause of many health issues, sometimes issues related to the animals history when it was alive; the animals diet, environment and even the nature of how it was cared for can effect the quality of the meat. Fruit and vegetables are not always perfect either.

You've got to be careful with what you eat but unfortunately important information on stuff like this isn't presented to people very clearly (if at all). Then again, do enough people care?

#47 Edited by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

Hope this thread helps motivate everyone who wants to lose weight. I started my weight loss after seeing Gary Whitta successfully lose weight. I lost 44 pounds over the course of 6 months and the feeling you get from looking at yourself in the mirror after that is something special.

#48 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

I'm about 5'9" and I weigh somewhere between 125 and 135, though I haven't weighed myself in several months. I'm definitely an ectomorph, but if I exercise a ton I will start to gain weight in the form of muscle (practicing parkour has been good for that). The problem is if I don't exercise for a while, no matter how much I eat, the muscle atrophies very quickly. I lost 20 lbs, going from 135 to 115, in a single summer due to not keeping up with my exercise routine, despite eating quite a lot. But I'm working on it, and I'm probably in the best shape of my life thus far.

My sister's are the quite the opposite. They're both much larger than I, and have been since we were in elementary school. Recently though, my older sister has been eating healthier and going to the gym regularly, and she's dropped 60 lbs since last June. She's really psyched about it, and I'm really proud of her too.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is, go for it! Whether you'd like to gain or lose weight, the results are definitely worth the effort! Unless that "effort" is anorexia or bulimia. Don't do those things.

#49 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

@Durandir: Okay, to start out I would recommend a 3 day split workout (3 days a week). You should use compound exercises; these are exercise that focus on more than one muscle group. The other exercise style is Isolation which as you can probably guess from the name, isolates one muscle and only works on that. Read this if you need a clearer explanation.

For the 3 day split I find the most efficient regime to be; Shoulders, Back and Triceps in 1 workout, then Biceps and Chest in another, then lastly the Legs. Again, compounds movements are vital as they will work an entire group (shoulders, back and triceps, for example) in a single exercise and allow you to get the most out of each workout. As an Ectomorph starting out, I recommend 2-3 sets per exercise; each set being 8-12 reps for upper body or 15-25 for lower body. You need to push yourself but don't be overzealous with the weight, using the upper body exercises as an example; if can't reach the 8 reps out of 12 then you need lower the weight. You should be able to at least reach 8, but struggle to surpass 11 or 12. Its a fine line but once you've started you'll soon discover what weights work for you. Oh, and you need to track this information. What exercises your doing, when are you doing them, which order are you doing them in, how many sets, how many reps, what weight.... track everything. Not only will you find it incredibly useful for seeing your muscle gains etc, but if you run into any problems you can also look back and see what may have caused it.

You say you have a back/spine injury, in that case you may want to focus on using machines that have back supports or chest supports; anything that keeps your body posture straight. Some exercises you should perhaps avoid entirely; for example you may want to avoid squats (at least for the time being), instead I would recommend you try using a leg press. Not sure whether your injury is on the lower part of your spine but I recommend you give this video a watch as well. Both of those two have history dealing with serious lower back injuries and still manage to get a great workout in, so you may find their advice useful.

As for diet; yes you want high calories. Have a look at this weight gain calculator, it takes you age, weight and height and recommends you a RDA of calories; its only an estimate but you should try and meet it and if possible, surpass it. You want a good dose of carbs and protein as well as a mixture of fats; you really want to focus mostly on healthy fats (unsaturated) with only around a third of your daily intake being saturated. Aim for 4-6 meals a day, with snacks in-between. Personally I don't wait until I'm feeling really hungry to eat, I just eat whenever I don't feel full. Also, drink plenty of water.

If I get the time I'll try and send some more info your way in the future but if you happen to have any questions or anything, please let me know :)

#50 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

im down,, gonna send u a pic later