• 103 results
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

Hoping to find some duders who are into MMA and watch the PPV or Live events when they come up. I assume it won't be as active as the wrestling board (no idea why) but might as well try.

There where great fights tonight so who watched UFC 153 and watched arguably the greatest ever win again in devastating fashion? Wasn't really worried about him losing even though it was a joke fight but when he wants to win he knocks fools out. Wish I got into the sport sooner to see some of his earlier fights live but seen every fight he's had since 101, the one where he actually pulled off matrix moves in the cage and broke a guys jaw and made him run out of the cage.

EDIT: Also did a search for previous boards and found nothing so if this is a repeat I apologize

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Watched a little bit of UFC 153 earlier, overall it was pretty lackluster except for maybe the main event. Good to see Noguiera back and get the submission but at this point he's fighting to fight and not at a run for the belt. Anderson Silva as expected whooped Bonner handily like Forest Griffin hopefully Anderson Silva and Jon Jones will give us all MMA fans what we want with a fight against each other. While St. Pierre vs. Anderson probably looks like the most likely of the superfights to occur I don't think it's a good fit. With St. Pierre you get the same issue with BJ Penn vs St. Pierre a few years ago except this time its George St. Pierre who will be too small if he moves up to 185 to face Silva. Until all this discussion about superfights is set in stone and everyone gets healthy not sure what will be the next big fight in the UFC, probably the heavyweight fight of Valesquez vs. Dos Santos or Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo. In terms of non-contender fight Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone vs. Anthony "Showtime" Pettis will be pretty good once they figure out when and where.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Watched a little bit of UFC 153 earlier, overall it was pretty lackluster except for maybe the main event. Good to see Noguiera back and get the submission but at this point he's fighting to fight and not at a run for the belt. Anderson Silva as expected whooped Bonner handily like Forest Griffin hopefully Anderson Silva and Jon Jones will give us all MMA fans what we want with a fight against each other. While St. Pierre vs. Anderson probably looks like the most likely of the superfights to occur I don't think it's a good fit. With St. Pierre you get the same issue with BJ Penn vs St. Pierre a few years ago except this time its George St. Pierre who will be too small if he moves up to 185 to face Silva. Until all this discussion about superfights is set in stone and everyone gets healthy not sure what will be the next big fight in the UFC, probably the heavyweight fight of Valesquez vs. Dos Santos or Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo. In terms of non-contender fight Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone vs. Anthony "Showtime" Pettis will be pretty good once they figure out when and where.

Definitely wouldn't call the card lackluster, Jon Fitch put on an amazing show, Glover fought an alien made of cement, Big Nog got an awesome submission and Silva has proved he is The Chosen One. Exciting night of fights.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nightriff

@I_Stay_Puft: I think Silva/Jones is a wash, Jones to big (easily fight at HW) for Silva to work his magic. I'm personally more interested in GSP/Silva, if they actually set up one of them I will be happy regardless. GSP/Condit is the next big fight because we don't know what to expect, will GSP be what he was 20 months ago when he last fought, who knows. One of them will probably get injured because that seems to be the trend in the sport nowadays

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nightriff

@Bucketdeth: Agreed, it was a great card, missed most of the prelims but every fight was entertaining to awesome. Glover hopefully keeps doing what he is doing, he is fun to watch, could give Jones I fight I think.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Bucketdeth: Lackluster is probably a bad term, but I think from what it was originally it wasn't that exciting cause of how last minute it was. Stephen Bonner is pretty popular but not so much people would throw money at the card to see him in the main event even if it is against Silva. Was really looking forward to Edgar vs. Aldo but these things happen, good for Silva to step up and save the card from being cancelled like last months.

@Nightriff: I think right now Silva while personally my favorite fighter is pulling a Fedor and fighting fighters who don't prove to be a challenge. It sucks but it makes sense, he's a cult hero and celebrity not just in Brazil but the whole world. He's also 37 against a beast who is only 23. A lot to put on the line considering his unbeaten win streak in the UFC, but if he were to beat Jon Jones he would further cement his legacy and showcase he is the best ever. Plus not to mention the money this fight would draw... Too bad they're friends and for some reason in the UFC friends have a hard time fighting friends, even though fighting is what they do...

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MikeGosot

I just watch when brazilians are fighting, but i didn't watch today, for some reason... I just watched the end of Anderson Silva's fight.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nightriff

@MikeGosot said:

I just watch when brazilians are fighting, but i didn't watch today, for some reason... I just watched the end of Anderson Silva's fight.

Go back and watch some other fights, Glover Texiera looked awesome, probably beat down of the year

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nightriff

@I_Stay_Puft: Disagree, this was a short notice fight to save the card so was expecting to Silva to do what he does best (and he did) but Silva fights the best their is in the division, their was a drought a few years ago but you can't say potential match ups in the division are bad at all.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Alright officially pumped for UFC 154 in a month, St. Pierre vs Condit and Kampmann vs Johnny Hendricks.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Nightriff: I think when you compare it to other divisions though, not so abundant in talent then lets say the Light Heavyweight or Lightweight divisions. Though like you say things can change, for a few years the Welterweight was pretty light till the UFC absorbed WEC and signed a few former Strikeforce fighters like Nick Diaz to the promotion. Right at the moment cause Anderson's already fought them all there really hasn't been that one fighter in his division who we can say could beat him, maybe except for Sonnen but we all saw how that went.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nightriff

@I_Stay_Puft: Good points though I think Jones is almost done with LHW, if Gustofferson beats Shogun in impressive fashion give him the shot, Glover beats a top guy in impressive fashion I could argue he deserves the shot but no one else after that. I love Mr Wonderful but he still needs time, Rashad beat him pretty handily and showed he needs to improve before he can get a shot at Jones. And I also can't wait for 154, I hope Condit can challenge GSP

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i watched the preliminary fights. they were pretty good fights. i didn't get to watch the main event yet.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By cclemon36

Yeah, I was mighty impressed with Fitch, he just wouldn't go away and gave back to Silva tenfold. That being said, Erick Silva is going to be dangerous.

As for the superfights, I'm not holding my breath for one anytime soon. And there are many exciting, realistic fights on the way in the lighter weight classes.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nightriff

@iam3green: You get a chance to catch the main event yet? In a year with pretty forgettable events, this one will probably be my favorite overall.....or 144.

@cclemon36: As a non Fitch fan (to tell the truth haven't seen many of his fights but the stigma and few fights I've seen he is/was awful to watch) it was a great fight to watch, very entertaining and deserving of the FotN Bonus. I'm not sold on Erick Silva, he is obviously stupid enough to not be wary of Fitch's wrestling so it was nice to see him get humbled and hopeful he comes back for the better, but being in a heavy wrestler division might always hurt him.

Since the next event isn't for a couple weeks, what do you guys think of Strikeforce? 2 Consecutive events in a row cancelled. Should they just can the league and move them over to the UFC already? What would happen to WMMA if that were to happen? Would you watch women's MMA in the UFC? 6 months ago I would've said no but anytime I've seen women fighting I've enjoyed the fights so I'm definitely open to women fighting in the UFC now.

cclemon36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cclemon36

@Nightriff: I think that fight showcased Fitch's toughness more so than Silva's inadequacy, at least in some respects. Even though Fitch was the superior wrestler, Silva was still able to get in a full on RNC, and probably would have finished a lot of fighters with that. Perhaps now he knows that some guys you just can't power through.

The way I've understood it is that the only reason Strikeforce is still around is because they have to respect their contract with Showtime. I think the organization has been irrelevant for men's MMA ever since Zuffa bought them. And even though I used to really enjoy SF, at this point in time the sooner the UFC absorbs them the better (for the fighters and fans). The ladies should migrate to Invicta FC and help grow that brand (I doubt it, though).

kidnamedtony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kidnamedtony

Like , I was initially a little curious why there wasn't much MMA discussion here, but decided it was probably best left alone. Still, it's heartening to stumble across a thread like this and hear folks talking positively about Jon Fitch (and in particular, mentioning things like "fight of the night" and "deserve," all in the same breath).

Not a huge fan of his or anything--I've just watched a lot of MMA over the years and heard/read a lot of chatter. The vitriol toward Fitch over the years was depressing, like maybe I'd been around too long and had grown out of touch.

As for WMMA and Strikeforce, I'm of the opinion that WMMA exists outside of the event and would probably do fine without it. Undoubtedly, SF has brought a lot of visibility to WMMA, but I've always felt that it was premature and focused at the wrong end of the weight spectrum. Really, SF has essentially one and a half divisions: 135, and a division above that for two women who can't easily make 135. It's at that weight that they can fight blown-up 135ers since, well, there aren't any other elite women at 145. Since one of them is now pursuing a Hollywood career, and the other has been benched for steroids (and may not want to move down upon her return), does SF even really have much of a stake in WMMA anymore beyond Rhonda Rousey?

As an alternative, Bellator has a decent lineup of 115-pounders, which combined with 135, historically comprises the bulk of WMMA talent. The only problem is that Bellator tends to hold events in odd, out of the way places in front of judges who don't know what they're judging, and its barely a blip on the radar for mainstream MMA fans. If SF were to pick up a 115-pound division and lure Bellator's 115-pound roster away (a huge and wholly different problem, in and of itself), I think it'd make a stronger case for SF being "the home of WMMA." Until then though, it's just the house of Rousey and maybe Cyborg.

At the end of the day however, Dana White's assertions that WMMA is still too thin to be featured in the UFC are true (which, oddly, is one of the few things I agree with him on). There are stories however that he's quite close to Rousey though, who I hear has been encouraging him to soften his stance on WMMA in the UFC. Be that as it may, I think they still have a lot of work on their hands getting people interested in the (men's) flyweight division, first.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

@Nightriff said:

@iam3green: You get a chance to catch the main event yet? In a year with pretty forgettable events, this one will probably be my favorite overall.....or 144.

not yet.

i never really watched strikeforce because i don't see it on tv. i've heard of it just never got into watching it.

for the womans fight class, i think it's good that girls are out there fighting. i think it needs to get more girls, somehow popular. i've seen clips of one girl she looks like she can kick ass. dana white isn't really interested in getting the girls into the UFC.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nightriff

UFC 154 Main Card starts in under 2 hours. It is the return of GSP who is one of the most dominate champions in the sport ever. Is anyone going to be watching tonight?

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RedRoach

@Nightriff: Absolutely, GSP is my favourite fighter, especially since he's Canadian. The rest of the fight card doesn't seem that great though.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MakoTitan

Whats up hommie! Mma fighter and bjj/mma trainer here. I'm calling for condit to target the knee, and in doing so, setting up a high kick that will lead to a finish. Ppl often forget how much bigger he is than gsp. That's my gameplan prediction

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MakoTitan

Oh, and friend me on gb duder! Im always happy to get some mma buds ESPECIALLY on gb!!!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By handlas

I'll be watching and rooting for Condit. Too bad he gets so much shit for his Diaz fight because he's incredibly exciting to watch if you put that fight aside. Also very much looking forward to Hendricks vs Kampmann. Like both guys so either way it goes is fine with me.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MakoTitan
@handlas i guess it depends on who you ask, but personally i praise Condit for being so disciplined in that fight.
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@handlas said:

I'll be watching and rooting for Condit. Too bad he gets so much shit for his Diaz fight because he's incredibly exciting to watch if you put that fight aside. Also very much looking forward to Hendricks vs Kampmann. Like both guys so either way it goes is fine with me.

That fight might possibly be the next contender for the welterweight, though I can see Dana giving St. Pierre or Condit another shot depending on how close their fight will be.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nightriff

@handlas said:

This.

I think GSP will still win, especially if he comes back as the same dominant fighter but love Condit. That fight was terrible but incredibly close. Hope to see a rematch of that in the future. I enjoy watching all 4 of the main fighters, hoping for Kampann and Condit but I'll take great fights regardless.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nightriff

Only really care about the 2 main fights so I'll pick GSP by decision even though I'm wearing my Condit shirt (if he pulls off the upset I'll be very happy) and Kampmann cause he just doesn't quit.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Hendricks, WOW!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nightriff

Wasn't expecting that, holy shit, looked away for 5 seconds and missed it

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Gladiator_Games

MMA had such promise of being god damn amazing. Like.. Street Fighter awesome. But it always ends with two guys on the ground humping eachother...

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar

@Gladiator_Games said:

MMA had such promise of being god damn amazing. Like.. Street Fighter awesome. But it always ends with two guys on the ground humping eachother...

I don't think you get what wrestling and grappling is. Damn Kung Fu movies ruining the image of what a fight is.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nightriff

@Gladiator_Games said:

You don't understand the sport do you....if you want that go watch kick boxing

EDIT: Great fight by GSP, was rooting for Condit but GSP is one of the all time greats, they are pretty tough to beat from what I hear

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By flindip

Great fight between Condit and GSP. Personally, I think it was competitive enough that Condit deserves a rematch. But GSP clearly won.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Marz

Was a fun fight to watch, almost thought Condit was gonna take GSP out when he caught him with that kick. I think people really just want to see GSP and Silva fight at this point.... but GSP sounds like he just wants to retire on top from his post fight interview.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By handlas

It was a good fight but also a good example of why I always root against GSP. He is great at wrestling and top control, and that's how he wins. I was never concerned for Carlos being finished at any point of him being on the ground... it was a good time to look away from the screen until you hear cheering because Condit was able to get back up. I'll give the elbow to GSP... that was a good shot but other than that Carlos was pretty much fine. People hate on Fitch for doing this same stuff (albeit not as effectively as GSP) but GSP gets a pass by most people.

So now looms the Silva vs GSP talk. I'm still convinced it's all talk and hype by Dana White and won't happen. And I'm happy about that. Hendricks deserves a title shot and I think he has a better chance of anyone of beating GSP. He has the wrestling to not be scared to push forward against GSP and the power to knock him out. He moves forward and pressures his opponents which no one does against GSP it seems and is always their downfall because he waits to get them close to the cage and then dives in for a takedown all the time.

So if he can beat Hendricks I think he has pretty much put the WW division to rest. I imagine a fight with Diaz would go exactly the same as this fight with Condit. It's what I expected to happen had the Diaz/GSP fight took place when it was originally suppose to. I guess there is also Rory Macdonald but he won't fight GSP.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nightriff

@handlas said:

It was a good fight but also a good example of why I always root against GSP. He is great at wrestling and top control, and that's how he wins. I was never concerned for Carlos being finished at any point of him being on the ground... it was a good time to look away from the screen until you hear cheering because Condit was able to get back up. I'll give the elbow to GSP... that was a good shot but other than that Carlos was pretty much fine. People hate on Fitch for doing this same stuff (albeit not as effectively as GSP) but GSP gets a pass by most people.

So now looms the Silva vs GSP talk. I'm still convinced it's all talk and hype by Dana White and won't happen. And I'm happy about that. Hendricks deserves a title shot and I think he has a better chance of anyone of beating GSP. He has the wrestling to not be scared to push forward against GSP and the power to knock him out. He moves forward and pressures his opponents which no one does against GSP it seems and is always their downfall because he waits to get them close to the cage and then dives in for a takedown all the time.

So if he can beat Hendricks I think he has pretty much put the WW division to rest. I imagine a fight with Diaz would go exactly the same as this fight with Condit. It's what I expected to happen had the Diaz/GSP fight took place when it was originally suppose to. I guess there is also Rory Macdonald but he won't fight GSP.

Well put and I pretty much agree with everything you said. I would like to add that GSP looked dangerous on the ground during the first 2 rounds, and like always once he gets 3 rounds he kinda takes it easy the last 2. The only person he ever tried subs at was Hardy and that was a joke fight really. I enjoy watching GSP fight because he is absolutely perfect in everything he does, that doesn't mean he is always the most entertaining to watch.

I don't think Hendricks has much of a shot. GSP doesn't need to use his wrestling, look at the Kos fight where he just out boxed him for 5 rounds and made him look silly while also breaking his face. No reason more me to think Hendricks can do anything different other than the punchers chance that everyone really has.

Can't wait for the next card in a few weeks. Finally putting on an awesome all around card on Fox with my boy Benson defending his title. Should be great.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

What's up MMA fans possibly watching the fight tonight. First up we got Mike Schwick vs Matt Brown. Got Schwick in this one.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nightriff

All I hope for is Benson to win, can't stand the Diaz brothers.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Bj Penn is getting killed, hoping Bj Penn can pull a Anderson Silva and beat'em in the last round.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nightriff

@I_Stay_Puft: BJ just hasn't been the same since the Frankie fights. He's been around a long time.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By flindip

@Nightriff said:

@I_Stay_Puft: BJ just hasn't been the same since the Frankie fights. He's been around a long time.

His conditioning has always been spotty, and he looked like he didn't really prepare. Not a good start if he wants to rebound his career.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By davidwitten22

BJ Penn needs to stay the hell out of the welterweight division, he hasn't looked good fighting at that weight in a LONG time.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By flindip

I also have zero problem with the UFC putting in a female division(even if it isn't that deep), but Rousey should not have a belt. WEC fighters title belts didn't carry over, why the hell should Rousey's?

She didn't win it the UFC, therefore it doesn't count at the moment.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@flindip said:

@Nightriff said:

His conditioning has always in spotty, and he looked like he didn't really prepare. Not a good start if he wants to rebound his career.

BJ Penn's always been one of those fighters whose too big for lightweight and just to small for welterweight. It was alright maybe 10 years ago cause the weight classes were still being established and he could just rely on his natural ability and jiu jitsu to get him through fights. Now a days with age, other fighters training in mma at a young age, and not have the proper motivation to train has derailed BJ Penn from the ferocity and cockiness he once had. I think one thing that spoke to me the most during those prefight matchups is Rorie moved across Canada to train while BJ has remained in his own bubble at home. Don't get me wrong I'm a big Penn fan but if BJ ever wants to find that drive again he needs to leave home and get some new trainers around him. Since the Frankie Edgar fight it shows that the trainers around him are just "yes men" and just listen to what BJ says when it should kinda be the other way around. Personally I think BJ Penn should retire again, his mind is clearly focused on his family and his gym.

Gustaffson hopefully wins impressively. Would be a good matchup for Bones.

altngr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By altngr

@flindip: The WEC belts for Aldo and Cruz actually did carry over, likely since the UFC didn't already have 145 and 135 divisions. Making Rousey the women's champ makes sense enough to me.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By flindip

@altngr: I didn't know that, I stand corrected. I still think its bullshit no matter what the circumstance.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By davidwitten22

I have to agree with flindip though that giving someone a belt without a single fight for the organization is kind of insulting. A title shot would be fine, but since the UFC doesn't have any actual woman's division yet that isn't possible.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@flindip: Probably is cause when Aldo and Cruz inherited the belts, Zuffa discontinued the WEC and absorbed those fighters into the UFC. Last I heard Strikeforce isn't gone yet...

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By flindip

@I_Stay_Puft: From my understanding Strikeforce has one more card and then its going to be dissolved. Unless Zuffa sold the rights and I didn't know about it.