• 64 results
#51 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@draugen meet @zolroyce. He's said what I would have said to what you said.

#52 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

It definitely depends on who you're speaking too. But personally I wouldn't like being called either, though I'd probably like being called skinny less than being called fat.

#53 Edited by Jazz_Bcaz (227 posts) -

It's not okay to use language with derogatory or harmful intent. Respect someones dignity and choose your words from a position of empathy and rationale.

#54 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1468 posts) -

Because the U.S. has a 60% obesity rate and you look awesome compared to the average person.

But being skinny sucks. However it can be a compliment. Getting skinnier is a goal for a lot of people. You never hear about someone trying to get fat. There is the reality of too skinny also being unattractive and some a lot of people wish they could gain some weight.

If the obesity rate was actually that high this country would be in even more trouble than it already is. You're thinking of the percentage of "overweight" people. The obesity rate for the US is about 35%, still making the US the world leader, but "overweight" and "obese" aren't the same thing.

#55 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

I'm a duder who lost almost 50 kg (~110 lbs) in the past year, mostly from following a healthy diet and doing weekly exercise. More often than not, people who haven't seen me since before losing all that weight describe me as "skinny" in a negative way, as if I was sick or being obese made me healthy.

Really, "fat" and "skinny" are just words, and like the vast majority of words, they have whatever meaning the person that is using them wants them to have. That being said, the whole HAES thing is shit, if you ask me. You can only accept your body as long as you're, at least, overweight, and heavens forbid that you want to lose weight. Unless you're actively praising fat, you're a fat-shamer. Ugh.

#56 Posted by Devil240Z (3272 posts) -

I hate when people talk about how tall I am. Its not like people go up to short people and talk about how short they are.

#57 Posted by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

People call me fat all the time. It's true. And I take no offense in it.

#58 Edited by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

I'm a duder who lost almost 50 kg (~110 lbs) in the past year, mostly from following a healthy diet and doing weekly exercise. More often than not, people who haven't seen me since before losing all that weight describe me as "skinny" in a negative way, as if I was sick or being obese made me healthy.

Really, "fat" and "skinny" are just words, and like the vast majority of words, they have whatever meaning the person that is using them wants them to have. That being said, the whole HAES thing is shit, if you ask me. You can only accept your body as long as you're, at least, overweight, and heavens forbid that you want to lose weight. Unless you're actively praising fat, you're a fat-shamer. Ugh.

As a fat fuck myself (310lbs), the whole "fat-shaming" thing that those tumblr crazies go on about is such horse shit. I get that it's kind of a counter-push to bullying, and on that level I agree that nobody should have to put up with harassment over their looks, but those people are goddamn delusional and take it waaay too far.

Being morbidly obese is not healthy, it's not normal and it shouldn't be encouraged. These people are lying to themselves, and as someone currently struggling to undo a lifetime of bad decisions I won't feel an ounce of pity when they die of a heart attack at 30, sitting on their power scooters with a quadruple Baconator in-hand.

#59 Edited by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

I guess at the end of the day what I don't like is when people decide to arbitrarily pick something that isn't their business and make it their business. Appearance is often one if those arbitrary things. If someone is overweight, average, athletic, skinny, or anything else that is their own personal matter. Anyone else that comments on it, positively or negatively, are stepping across a boundary. It's up to the person being commented at how to respond. But no one has the right to speak to another's personal matters no matter what the personal matter is.

#60 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

@epicsteve said:

Because the U.S. has a 60% obesity rate and you look awesome compared to the average person.

But being skinny sucks. However it can be a compliment. Getting skinnier is a goal for a lot of people. You never hear about someone trying to get fat. There is the reality of too skinny also being unattractive and some a lot of people wish they could gain some weight.

If the obesity rate was actually that high this country would be in even more trouble than it already is. You're thinking of the percentage of "overweight" people. The obesity rate for the US is about 35%, still making the US the world leader, but "overweight" and "obese" aren't the same thing.

Still fat as Hell. We'll agree that more than half this country can stand to lose some weight.

#61 Posted by Yesiamaduck (909 posts) -

It depends on the context. I don't give a flying fuck if someone calls me fat, that's what I am, I am overweight and it's a term that can be used to describe me. Just don't say it to me like it's something I should be ashamed of because I'm not.

#62 Posted by Whitestripes09 (400 posts) -

I always take it as more "Hey, you look unhealthy." I'm pretty overweight, but I have a very underweight friend. I get pretty freaked out when I see her bones jutting through her skin, but then I should probably be scared about how I can't even see mine. So in a way, we're both unhealthy and should probably do something about it. I find it silly that people get so offended by words like fat or skinny...

#63 Edited by RonGalaxy (2895 posts) -

Is this a serious question? What??

#64 Posted by Lyisa (329 posts) -

I think context really matters. There are some people who are more sensitive about their weight than others and being aware of that is important. I know its cool on the internet to be all, "I'm going to be honest and fuck other peoples feelings!" but if its an issue the people who really care about them will find the right way to bring it up. By talking to somebody who is overweight and bringing it up you're not necessarily helping them, you're probably being more hurtful than helpful.

If you're talking about with close friends or something like that, I don't know why you can't call them fat. Bring that up with them.

#65 Posted by TruthTellah (8556 posts) -

Ok to pat someone on the back, but not ok to slap them in the face?

I suppose I can understand the confusion when skinny can also be used as a negative, but I'm surprised anyone is actually discussing this beyond the initial comments explaining the difference.