• 94 results
#1 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

I'm totally serious about this question. Are there fellow Giantbombers into, or even collect, high fashion? And I don't even mean Hypebeast shit, because no one knows what they are talking about on there, and everyone is just a hater on that site (or something similar). I don't expect this to be a very popular topic, but, being a member of this site for years now, I just have to know. Like all of the Comme Des Garcons labels, KTZ, Visim, Christopher Kane, Rick Owens, Undercover.... That (those) sort of thing(s). I know the GB community is pretty diverse, but I'm curious about how diverse it is.

#2 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

I don't even know what "fashion" is exactly, let alone "high fashion".

All I need to know I learned from David Bowie. I just left it to David Bowie.

#3 Edited by joshwent (2324 posts) -

I don't have the time (and certainly not the money) to keep up with modern fashion, but I am a die-hard Project Runway fan, if that counts for anything.

#4 Edited by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@tsutohiro: is it tough, living on red peppers and cocaine? I'm thinking about trying the Thin White Duke's diet.

#5 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -
#6 Edited by wjb (1688 posts) -

I like nice clothes, but I do not have the money for nice clothes. Also, the nice clothes I have are now a size too small.

I will never be really interested in fashion, though. I do not find anything about it fascinating, no offense. It's just "Hey, that looks nice" for me.

Also, I hear very little, but what I do hear about the fashion world makes it all sound very unappealing, from an outsider's perspective. I could be misinformed.

#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

Here's the perfect opportunity to ask this question because all my friends are men:

what's so appealing about fashion as a subculture? I'm curious.

#8 Posted by DeadpanCakes (1042 posts) -

I wear shirts with Sonic the Hedgehog on it. Also I own a Bastion shirt.

Does that count as high fashion?

#9 Posted by Sammo21 (3432 posts) -

High fashion? Honestly, Teefury shirts and slip on DC shoes are as high fashion as I get.

#10 Posted by Itwongo (1233 posts) -

Not really, I wear what I and others think look good, but I prioritize comfort over style. I get why so many fashion gurus make really bizarre designs at fashion shows, though.

#11 Posted by Milkman (17177 posts) -

I wish I had the money to be into high fashion. Instead I just live out my fantasies through rap music.

#12 Edited by eroticfishcake (7787 posts) -

I've an interest in fashion but I don't go for brand names due to the fact that it's way more expensive than it's worth. I just get what I think looks nice so long it's good value too. I do like good clothes though from waistcoasts, hats, blazers, Beatle boots and whatnot but do I read or keep up with fashion? Not at all.

#13 Posted by NegativeCero (3024 posts) -

I'm curious about this. Personally, I put little thought into what I wear. As long I think I'm presentable (i.e. not in stained, ripped, etc clothes that smell or something) I'm fine.

#14 Edited by Khronikos (69 posts) -

I wear a lot of CK dress shirts and stuff cuz they fit right. Nice overcoat. Like my high-end cologne and that is about all. High-end fashion costs shitloads and we all know that stuff is marked up crazy.

#15 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5900 posts) -

Um, I occasionally like High fantasy. Really though, I do try and dress nice, but I don't have a clue about High fashion.

#16 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

Here's the perfect opportunity to ask this question because all my friends are men:

what's so appealing about fashion as a subculture? I'm curious.

To be honest, I think that question has a variety of different answers. I'm not going to lie that a lot of it is hype and label name that draws in big buck for a lot of people, but I view high fashion with technical interest as any other engineer or architecture obsess with their field (maybe selectively, I guess). I love studying/observing the pattern making, tailoring technique, and use of materials to make awesome pieces, even though I don't have the money for it. I even have a few pieces that I almost never wear, but keep them almost like art pieces because how much I admire the work and vision put into them. No, each piece has cost me an arm and a leg, but I feel happy to have them in my closet. To go even further, fashion reveals a lot about our current culture, even if some of it seems a tad bit behind on "our" times.

For example, Christopher Kane, for spring/summer 2014, dives into the idea that we everything about us and around us is becoming digital. So much so that information has become instant and recognizable with ease, and that imagination is something we will leave behind (at least that's how I interpret it).

#17 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

"My wardrobe is jeans and faded shirts. A mixture of what I like, and what I wear to work."

#18 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

I wear a lot of CK dress shirts and stuff cuz they fit right. Nice overcoat. Like my high-end cologne and that is about all. High-end fashion costs shitloads and we all know that stuff is marked up crazy.

Yeah it's marked up a lot, like 70% to 80%. I have seen the paper work for that shit.

#19 Posted by Khronikos (69 posts) -

I am a sucker for all John Varvatos stuff. He really is a top line designer. Has a lot of old school stuff at extreme quality. I can't afford much of it though.

#20 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4867 posts) -

@ghost_cat: That's the kind of answer I was hoping for. Fashion has always been an enigma to me, but I appreciate your response.

#21 Edited by Khronikos (69 posts) -

There was even a recent story about a purse designer or something purposely marking up their product like 400% to keep in line with their 'image'. Ridiculous.

#22 Edited by Yummylee (22280 posts) -

...I like polo shirts.

#23 Edited by jkz (4049 posts) -

I buy designer clothes, but I shop for things from a few years back / that have been used. Because it's way cheaper, and I don't think it's worth it to just chase trends, especially when shit goes out of style and the prices drop so quickly.

But yeah I have mostly Band of Outsiders / Acne / Steven Alan stuff, it's just old

#24 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4468 posts) -

That shit is too fickle for my tastes

#25 Posted by Devil240Z (3405 posts) -

I don't even know what "fashion" is exactly, let alone "high fashion".

#26 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Yes, with my job I'm able to buy all sorts of brand name clothing, but I'm a girl, and you probably want a dude's opinion on whatever your question was.

#27 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

There was even a recent story about a purse designer or something purposely marking up their product like 400% to keep in line with their 'image'. Ridiculous.

I'm not sure who that may be, but fun/disgusting fact: Louis Vuitton never let any of their bags go on sale. If the bags have been sitting in stores for to long, they are all collected and incinerated in their private furnace. What a waste!

@missacre said:

Yes, with my job I'm able to buy all sorts of brand name clothing, but I'm a girl, and you probably want a dude's opinion on whatever your question was.

Actually the question was for either sex, so thanks for the response!

#28 Posted by notdavid (841 posts) -

Occasionally I'll wear a shirt with buttons on it over a shirt without buttons on it. When I'm feeling classy, anyway.

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10331 posts) -

I go to a high-end salon for my hair, but I'm not really one for haute couture. I'll buy expensive clothing sure, but when I do it's the classics, nothing that will go out of style anytime soon. I'm not out to make a statement, just look hip enough to do my job.

#30 Posted by Willza92 (270 posts) -

I deal in only the highest fashion (I have no idea what anyone is talking about)

#31 Edited by Daneian (1251 posts) -

I'm increasingly interested in fashion but have no idea where to start looking into it. Any suggestions? I tend to be drawn to the classic Madmen era styles but am open.

#32 Posted by Spoonman671 (4749 posts) -

All those proper nouns you used? No idea what they mean.

#33 Posted by slyspider (1330 posts) -

I'm 20 years old, premed student living with my parents on a full ride to my university. I say that so I don't cry myself to sleep when I realize that not only does my mother STILL do my shopping, but she buys all the latest high fashion shit for me to wear. Does make it really awkward when I go to League or Starcraft LAN events dressed like a walking advertisement.

#34 Edited by wjb (1688 posts) -

@ghost_cat: Question: From someone like me who likes nice clothes but has never been too familiar with the world, is it still intense where someone is out in the cold if they do not update their wardrobe each year (or even season), or is it more relaxed?

Like, I understand the rich do it because they need to spend money somehow and keep up appearances, but I would occasionally be teased by women (some women, not all) when I said I hadn't been clothes shopping in two years, or whatever. This was before I went back to school and didn't have as much money to spend.

Granted, those particular women probably sucked, but I never understood spending hundreds of dollars on clothes just so I would wear them a handful of times (at best) and never see them again, unless someone (like you, maybe) was super into fashion and didn't mind. It doesn't help that my weight fluctuates so I'm one size one month and another size 3 months from now.

I guess it's no different from something like an iPhone, but I still rock the 4, scratches and all. I just think the clothes I wear need some mileage out of them. Like, every few years at the earliest for shirts and pants and every 5-6 years for coats and stuff.

#35 Posted by Hunter5024 (5896 posts) -

I think I bought everything I'm wearing at Wal-Mart. So yes, of course.

#36 Edited by TheHT (11674 posts) -

I really like The Devil Wears Prada. Does that count?

#37 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

When I was in high school I used to really keep up on the fashion industry and such but not anymore. I don't have the money to get into that stuff either.

#38 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3689 posts) -

I have shoes made of hemp.

* takes a bow *

#39 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

I just roll around on my floor until enough lint and scraps of cloth have attached themselves to my body that I won't be immediately arrested for indecency when I'm in public.

#40 Edited by JadeGL (945 posts) -

I love looking at fashion magazines. I love the idea of some day having enough money to buy a dress that is over or even near $100. When my husband and I went to a local mall I saw a really pretty red lace dress and pointed out how gorgeous it was. At the same time I also pointed out that I have no where to wear it to. So even if I had the money, where would I wear it? :/

It's fun to look, though. I also find that if I know what is in style, I can find appropriate and cheaper alternatives by shopping sales either in person or online. I just got a blouse with black leather accents (collar and breast pocket) for 16 dollars at the mall. It was over 50% off and on point for current trends. That's how I tend to operate. Look at magazines, internalize what looks good for me, and then I try to find less expensive versions.

Then again, I'm female, so I don't know if that helps or not. :)

#41 Edited by AlexW00d (6386 posts) -

I thought high fashion was that ridiculous one of a kind catwalk kinda shit, not the high street brands people are mentioning in here.

#42 Edited by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

I'm the least trendy person ever. If I walk into a clothing store I absolutely do not have a clue why people would wear any of the shit in there.

#43 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

High fashion ey?

You know it brah. WEHEHEHEHEHEH.

#44 Posted by GooieGreen (454 posts) -

I don't buy t-shirts; whatever dumb swag shirts fit in my bag at E3 are basically what I live in.

Now if you excuse me, I have some deBlob 2 t-shirts to wear that are way to big for me.

#45 Edited by Trilogy (2682 posts) -

I've got a negative amount of knowledge of what you speak.

#46 Edited by Fattony12000 (7589 posts) -

Yes.

Yes I am.

#48 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I like to wear sweatpants after I come home from work. It aids in the process of sitting comfortably on my arse.

The less clothes the better, what they look like I care not.

#49 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@ghost_cat: Oh, in that case, yeah, I do like buying myself expensive things here and there. I don't really "study" the fashions beforehand, I just go to the store, and if I find something pretty, I'll try it on, and I'll end up buying it if I can name at least 5 places I can wear this particular item to. I also don't really keep up with the seasons or whatever, I'm not the kind of person to wear something once and throw it into the back of my closet. I tend to wear the same things for years, then I'll do a massive closet cleaning, and if I'm missing anything, I'll go back to the store.

#50 Posted by TheStimpinator (106 posts) -

I generally only go as far as keeping up with Mr. Porter and reading the occasional Esquire. I dunno, is Brooks Brothers high fashion? Because that's about expensive as I'm willing to buy at this point in my life. I get a lot of J Crew stuff because it's nice and not crazy expensive. Dressing nice is pretty cool though.