Okay so I downloaded Twin Peaks...

playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By playastation

Seasons 1 (7 episodes) and 2 (22 episodes).

Is there anything i should know before i start watching the videos? 

Besides the fact that the videos are square... and my tv isn't a fucking square.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By NathHaw

Where did you download them?  I know that CBS has a couple of episodes on CBS.com, but I don't know where to get them all legally.  

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

The whole series except the pilot and movie is available on CBS.com and Fancast.com. Watch them there, legally.... if you're a North American resident.

playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By playastation

I actually "obtained" them. Which i guess isn't so bad if they're available online.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NathHaw
@MrKlorox said:
" The whole series except the pilot and movie is available on CBS.com and Fandango.com. Watch them there, legally.... if you're a North American resident. "
I've looked under the main site for a week or so.  It has been two episodes and a clip since then.    Are you talking under the classic shows tab?  I haven't checked fandango.com
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By raidingkvatch
@playastation: As someeone who's very familiar with the series I can tell you that there aren't really specifics you need to know, but a familiarity with other work by David Lynch will probably mean you're prepared fo the tone and weirdness (Twin Peaks is pretty normal compared to some Lynch stuff); you should also be aware that it's kind of slow, the first few episodes in particular are all about settingnup tone and establishing characters, which I found very entertaining, but I know some people find a bit boring, even if you do I'd reccommend you stick with it. It's probably a good idea to know that a lot of time is focused away from the murder investigation, but it pretty much all comes round to show how everything in the town is linked.
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Phished0ne

Guys, i found a site that managed to somehow get embedded versions of every twin peaks ep off the CBS servers, i dont know how,  but they did, so heres the link.   

http://streamingtvepisodes.com/Twin-Peaks.html  

i know this is borderline against the rules, but they arent hosting anything on that site, you can clearly tell they just managed to embed the videos from CBS somehow. sadly it is only available to people in the US though. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox
@Bloviator said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" The whole series except the pilot and movie is available on CBS.com and Fancast.com. Watch them there, legally.... if you're a North American resident. "

I've looked under the main site for a week or so.  It has been two episodes and a clip since then.    Are you talking under the classic shows tab?  I haven't checked fandango.com "
Yeah the site's weird. I put the link in the wikipedia article as a reference for easier location. Or you could use the link the dude above me posted or Fancast.com which pulls from other sites to one convenient location (oops I wrote fandango.com earlier -- that was wrong). edit: actually after looking at that linked site, you have to download a program which is lame. Screw that. 

@playastation said:

" I actually "obtained" them. Which i guess isn't so bad if they're available online. "

On the contrary the legal sites have short ads which is how they make revenue off the videos. "Obtained" videos don't and the owner gets ripped off.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

l have been watching them on CBS as well.  I started way before they even talked about DP and it is pretty fantastic. I want the box set but it's 80 bucks. One day

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Castro

The only thing that I'll say is that you should watch the pilot episode first. The pilot episode has never been available on VHS or DVD until recently. There was a video labeled "pilot episode" that was released back in the day, but it wasn't the original one that aired on ABC. It was pretty much the same thing, but the last 15 minutes or so were changed for reasons that are way too complicated to explain here. 

So yeah, find the original 2 hour broadcast pilot episode and you should be good to go. (Actually, it's a bit shorter than two hours what with commercial breaks and all, but you get the idea.)

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Andheez

I will say, if you actually have qualms, or a slow connection, just about anything can be found, legally for free from your local library.  Ive asked for stuff so obscure ( the witcher books recently ) they actually did not have a copy, but then they went out of their way to BUY IT, so I could get it on loan.  Its pretty much the same for DVD's, at worst you have to wait a day or two for them to ship it, because it isn't at your location.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NathHaw
@acevornhax:  

Haha.  I know, right?  How the future is going to be so different as far as getting stuff digitally.  I recently watched the getting-famous-quick torrent film that was circulated (and probably highly sponsored in one way or another, ya know,  from The Pirate Bay) on Hulu.  Free speech this and free speech that...except it wasn't exactly an honest movie about those types of things.  I like the idea of the future leaning toward open distribution among people that want that.  I don't want torrent sites that propose these potential movements when I think those particular sites have a major monetary motivation...not just a idealogical one.  I don't discount them altogether, but I reserver immediate, wholehearted opinion.  The movie wasn't entirely about that, but it does bother me that it is so popular when I know what it was essentially implying.  Again, I'm not against torrents and such, digital distribution, all that necessarily.  I think the movie overstepped its bounds in portraying in a propagandistic way it opposers too much of the time.

I would like to get them within the bounds of American law for now though.  I'm going to check out what @MrKlorox said (does GB work that way with the whole @ thing?  whatever for now).
playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By playastation
@raidingkvatch: That was actually one of the things I'm worried about, actually that and modern day production value comparisons. The first episode i have is 738MB, and all the others are around 300, so I'm guessing the its quite a bit longer, and hopefully the pilot that people are talking about. It's just weird being an internet person and having all this knowledge of pop culture... and know nothing of Twin Peaks. The first season is only 7 episodes. I have Tuesday and Thursday off next week, I'll try to hammer it all out between those days and the weekend. I'm excited!
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Seedofpower
@playastation said:
"  my tv isn't an fucking square. "
Fixed.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

Get ready to wish there was a 3rd season.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quacktastic

Don't marathon it.  The weird-factor will lose any impact and then you're just watching some satire (I think?) of a soap opera that's a bit too good at it's job.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

It's like they made Deadly Premonition into a TV show! Oh... wait...

Seriously though, the similarities in the first 5 minutes of the first episode almost make me wonder (not seriously) if I'll see any actual spoilers for the game by watching this.

Dude's a lot more of a ladies man than York, that's for sure.

playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By playastation
@Seedofpower: My tv isn't a fucking square.

fixed again ;)
playastation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By playastation

I've decided that my Giantbomb blog will be of Twin Peaks episodes.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SoothsayerGB

If you like Noir mysteries, then you will like this a lot.  Ever wonder where The Sopranos got there dream sequences?   Ready to get hit by some massive nostalgia  bombs, when you realize what that Simpsons episode was a parodie of?  Ever wonder why Stoya Heat acts the way she does?  

No Caption Provided

It may seem a bit like Lost.  In that the writers are just making up bullshit as they go along.  But they aren't, Mark Frost and  Lynch will take you places, I promise.  I watched a marathon over the weekend and woke up twice last night.  Thinking someone was in my room.   But I watched like all in two days.  So, yeah...  The Owls aren't what they seem.

Really great stuff.  Thoe, i don't recommend watching the movie or the second half of season 2 in a hurry.  Something happened behind the scenes and Lynch left.  So basically, once the killer/s is found, you've seen all there is to really see.    Surprisingly good for a TV show. 

Also, use this.  It's a list of Twin Peaks episodes.  Just in case you think you might be watching them out of order.  In the first season, each episode starts with a summery of the previous.  So you should know if you missed one.  But  season two doesn't have those.  SO you might want to check the episode title.  You don't want to watch them out of order.

Lastly Have fun.  Twin Peaks is a really good series that sadly died young.  Afterwards you will differently think of the ERs differently.
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Phished0ne
@Quacktastic said:
" Don't marathon it.  The weird-factor will lose any impact and then you're just watching some satire (I think?) of a soap opera that's a bit too good at it's job. "
I dont think thats true at all ...the show gets so completely whacked out during the 2nd season its hard not to go "WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?!?"(in a good way of course) 

i cant wait to see peoples reactions once they get to the eps that have  David Duchovny in them.
Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Jackel2072

tv.com has all the episodes and if you were to search for "who killed Laura palmer on goodle you fine the pilot too

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Bruce

David Lynch sure is a kook. Pretentious, sure. But at least his later work was good.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Daveyo520
@Phished0ne said:

" @Quacktastic said:

" Don't marathon it.  The weird-factor will lose any impact and then you're just watching some satire (I think?) of a soap opera that's a bit too good at it's job. "
I dont think thats true at all ...the show gets so completely whacked out during the 2nd season its hard not to go "WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?!?"(in a good way of course)  i cant wait to see peoples reactions once they get to the eps that have  David Duchovny in them. "
The 1st time I saw him when I watched them all this weekend I was somewhat taken aback. I never thought I'd see Special Agent Fox Mulder like that. It really is a great show, the X-Files was too now that I bring it up.
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By raidingkvatch
@playastation: Yeah that'll be the pilot, it was actually made as straight to video movie (with the mystery's conclusion somehow tacked on to the end) that only got released in Europe as well so that it would still make some money if the show didn't get picked up.

You should be prepared for some cases of wildly over the top ham-acting, the show is self-aware and references a lot of soap type stuff, therefore some of its performances really belong on crappy day-time soaps.
raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By raidingkvatch
@SoothsayerGB said:
"  
  So, yeah...  The Owls aren't what they seem.

Really great stuff.  Thoe, i don't recommend watching the movie or the second half of season 2 in a hurry.  Something happened behind the scenes and Lynch left.  So basically, once the killer/s is found, you've seen all there is to really see.    Surprisingly good for a TV show. 

Also, use this.  It's a list of Twin Peaks episodes.  Just in case you think you might be watching them out of order.  In the first season, each episode starts with a summery of the previous.  So you should know if you missed one.  But  season two doesn't have those.  SO you might want to check the episode title.  You don't want to watch them out of order.  Lastly Have fun.  Twin Peaks is a really good series that sadly died young.  Afterwards you will differently think of the ERs differently. "
What happened behind the scenes is: 1. that after the first season David Lynch went off and made wild at Heart so he wasn't there for the first half of the second season 2. ABC were dicking the show around because they didn't have faith in it and made them reveal who Laura Palmer's murderer was way too early (Lynch and Frost always intended the murder mystery to be the intial hook that would then fade into the background for a little while while they established all the other storylines of the town and got people hooked on more than just finding out the killers identity).

As a big david Lynch fan I actually would reccommend the movie, but only if you were really into all the weird, trippy, bat-shit crazy bits of TV series because the movie is waaaaay mor Lynch-ian. I also really liked the first and last thirds of season 2, it just goes a bit aimless in the middle before they've set up the next mystery after the premature resolution of the Laura Palmer mystery.

Also if you're an X-Files fan you should look out fr a brilliant appearance by David Duchovny in season 2.

Sidebar: An example of how much this show gets into people's heads 1. my mum's friend, Anna, was redecorating and somehow subconsciously managed to paint the word BOB on the wall, she was so terrified she ran round to my mum's house (which was just round the corner). 2. The show was on when my mother was pregnant with me, I was 3 weeks overdue and the hospital wanted to keep her in for observation, but she insited she be discharged so she could watch the last episode of Twin Peaks.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By crusader8463
Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Phished0ne

"Damn fine coffee!! and hot too!" 
-Agent Dale "Coop" Cooper

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By killer_meatballs

Great freaking series.  I first bought the series on video (!) when it came out, and a couple of years ago, my wife bought me the complete DVD box set.   You should get it. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy
@MrKlorox: Does Fancast work in Canada? 
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKlorox
@xyzygy:  Not sure, I'm in Texas. It's owned by Comcast (who owns majority share of NBC-Universal), but doesn't seem to host all the videos itself. I guess it would depend on if the source it's pulling from (CBS.com in the case of Twin Peaks) offers its shows in Canada.

You should test it and post your results.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

Fancast for me will just stay at the loading screen forever. 

But just download Hotspot Shield to get it working.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By guiseppe

Anything you should know? Dude it's just a TV show, they usually don't need preparation. Just watch it and see what you think :P.

harrypmgaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By harrypmgaga
@AndrewB: Is the "first episode" you're referring to the Pilot or First (really Second) episode? Agent Cooper (the Agent York of the show) isn't introduced until a little after halfway through the Pilot.
DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DirrtyNinja
@Seedofpower said:
" @playastation said:
"  my tv isn't an fucking square. "
Fixed. "
lol wut
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By dichemstys

GOD I WANT TO WATCH THIS SHOW

Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Justaddwater

Anyone know of a way to stream this outside of the U.S.? dont really want to download them as it comes up to about 12 gigs.