Posted by benefitevil (48 posts) -

Is it just me or do the gamers today have it a little too good. In today's world you can't walk down a street without seeing something video game related. It seems everyone has heard of "Call of Duty" or "Modern "Warfare" and even your parents are gaming these days which leads me to my point. When I was growing up gaming was something you kept a secret. Sure Nintendo was a house hold word but really when people uttered the word Nintendo they meant Mario. When I walked down the halls of middle school I used to live in fear that it would get out that I owned and played video games. I hate to use terms such as "jock" and "nerd" but there was a real division of class when I was younger and if you played video games you where a "nerd" and it was the "jocks" mission to make your life miserable in any way they could. I think you have to admit it has been a complete and total shift from the early 80's. Don't get me wrong I'm glad that video games have been more widely accepted. Anything that gives human beings more common ground is always a good thing. I just wonder if the trail blazers where ever honored for their sacrifice or if anyone even cares.

#1 Posted by benefitevil (48 posts) -

Is it just me or do the gamers today have it a little too good. In today's world you can't walk down a street without seeing something video game related. It seems everyone has heard of "Call of Duty" or "Modern "Warfare" and even your parents are gaming these days which leads me to my point. When I was growing up gaming was something you kept a secret. Sure Nintendo was a house hold word but really when people uttered the word Nintendo they meant Mario. When I walked down the halls of middle school I used to live in fear that it would get out that I owned and played video games. I hate to use terms such as "jock" and "nerd" but there was a real division of class when I was younger and if you played video games you where a "nerd" and it was the "jocks" mission to make your life miserable in any way they could. I think you have to admit it has been a complete and total shift from the early 80's. Don't get me wrong I'm glad that video games have been more widely accepted. Anything that gives human beings more common ground is always a good thing. I just wonder if the trail blazers where ever honored for their sacrifice or if anyone even cares.

#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14572 posts) -

I fuckin' love the Trail Blazers.

No one will understand.

#3 Posted by FLStyle (4925 posts) -

I always seem to get that impression from gamers in the US but in the UK it was never that prominent for me. Sports games were always cool with everyone which led some people who wouldn't have played video games before to other genres. Now we've got the same thing happening except the most popular games have shifted from sports to FPS.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@benefitevil:  This comic sums it up perfectly:

#5 Edited by mandude (2666 posts) -

Never had that problem in Ireland. Gaming wasn't as prominent 20 years ago, but no one really gave a fuck what you did.

#6 Edited by believer258 (12211 posts) -

The gaming industry seems to be more and more mirroring that of the movie industry - big budget titles keep the industry afloat and more thoughtful and intelligent ones get made and bought "behind" those. I'm not entirely sure how to put it, I'm just saying that the people who want to track down those more high-brow titles (like most of us) can and easily will, and there's enough of them to make such projects profitable, but the most well-known ones are the Call of Duties and Battlefields, and occasionally one of those higher-brow ones will pop up into the mainstream like Skyrim did.

Yes, gamers have it better than they once did but nerds and nerd culture overall seems to have gotten a better reputation than it did in the 1980's. These days, mentioning that you enjoy Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and RPG's won't automatically make the "cool people" laugh or turn their nose up at you.

Besides:

#7 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@benefitevil: This comic sums it up perfectly:

Oh man, that is great.

#8 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -

Goddamn I hate VGCats.

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3089 posts) -

@JJWeatherman said:

No one will understand.

Let's just hope their new coach works out for them.

#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Games were always cool when I was growing up, and I had the added bonus of being able to beat the shit out of anyone that told me otherwise.

Maybe this is just an American thing?

#11 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

And what trail did you actually blaze when you were getting beat up in school? How did that contribute to video games?

#12 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1219 posts) -

If you're leading the way by getting punched in the face, you might be a gamer.

EAT SHIT AND DIE NERD
#13 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1485 posts) -
@ShadowConqueror said:

@JJWeatherman said:

No one will understand.

Let's just hope their new coach works out for them.

Warriors are gonna take that final playoff spot, heard it here first! 
Also almost anyone I know plays games, most not as much as me but it's definitely not a social stigma if it ever was.
#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14572 posts) -

@OwnlyUzinWonHan: They can have that spot. The Blazers will just take that number 1 seed, thank you very much.

Don't mind my daydreams.