This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

Olivia Munn always struck me as a terrible and ackward games journalist. Her interview with Jaffe is probably the single most awkard moment I've ever seen on TV. It's so bad, I won't even link it in this thread. If you do go forward and watch it, consider yourself warned.

So one day I'm sitting in my couch and watching my favorite new TV show of the year, The Newsroom (by Aaron Sorkin, starring Jeff Daniels). This one girl on the show just seemed so familiar to me. This lead to me looking up the cast list on IMDB. Imagine the surprise when I found that the girl was Olivia Munn. She has a recurring role, and she's playing that role really, really well. She's always been quite the looker, and now that I know she's a good actress... Let's just say I was surprised.

Thoughts? Have you seen the show, and what do you think of her as an actress compared to a journalist?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

I think she is awful at everything she does and isn't even that attractive.

#3 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1079 posts) -

Her being in gaming media was always about using it as a springboard to movies and television.

#4 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Can we pleasseee not bring up Munn's looks. Lets not be those awful kind of people guys.

And I've never given a shit about Munn.

#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i didn't really know she was still around. i stopped watching G4 when they stopped showing video games. a few years ago i saw her on the daily show interviewing people. good for her i guess.

#6 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Demoskinos:

Case fucking closed.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@Legion_: Yeah, that she U-L-G-Y

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -

Man, she hasn't been on the Daily Show in forever, eh? That didn't last long, did it? Yeah... I can't say that I'm a fan.

#9 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I knew you were an idiot, but come on, check your spelling at the very least. No class.

#10 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Olivia Munn sucks.

#11 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

I don't feel like Munn ever planned for video game journalism to be her central life-long career. I always saw her as one of those strange "jack of all trades but master of none" style celebrities, but it's good to hear she has (what sounds like) a solid role on a critically well received show.

#12 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Season 2 sounds like it'll be pretty great.

@panvixyl said:

@Demoskinos said:

Can we pleasseee not bring up Munn's looks. Lets not be those awful kind of people guys.

Also this.

#13 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Man, she hasn't been on the Daily Show in forever, eh? That didn't last long, did it? Yeah... I can't say that I'm a fan.

Yea she showed up for like 2 or 3 episodes and just disappeared. I wonder what happened there.

#14 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@Demoskinos: @Legion_: Fucking stop it, both of you.

Also, "U-L-G-Y" is hilarious.

#15 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

LIEK OMG GUYZ HOT GAMER GIRLZZZZZ

Let's revel in the awfulness, shall we?

Oh, then there's this. Like this is supposed to get me hard. Some broad drooling all over my failed handheld.

#16 Posted by hanktherapper (370 posts) -

She was in a horrible sitcom a year or two ago. I don't remember the name. She was topless in Magic Mike which Alex Navarro declared as the best movie of 2012.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

@Legion_: I have also enjoyed her appearances in recent episodes of The New Girl. Though, I do think she does better when she's playing a very different character from herself, like in The Newsroom. There's really more to her than most people seem to think.(as is usually the case for people in the public eye)

#18 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic: That interview is kind of painful to watch.

#19 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

She guest starred on The New Girl as a stripper. So there's that.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4518 posts) -

Munn is pretty good in the Newsroom. Ditto for Magic Mike.

My guess is that she was an actress who took a gig doing something she didn't know about or didn't care about (vidya gaemz) and she did the best she could with it. I never watched G4 or any show she was on so I can't really comment on her daily level of awfulness.

Still pretty hot, though.

#21 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Subjugation: My new favorite show.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

@Demoskinos said:

I knew you were an idiot, but come on, check your spelling at the very least. No class.

Defensive much? Sorry I don't think your girlfriend is hot.

#23 Posted by TheHT (10810 posts) -

yeah, she's pretty good in Newsroom. actually kinda great.

#24 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I wish. And for the road, I'm not being defensive. I just find it strange that a guy that looks like a serial killer can be so rude about someone elses apperance. And let's be honest here for a minute. No one can ever live up to your anime girls, can they?

#25 Posted by mordukai (7128 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I just think that her along with Miss Chobot are actually doing more harm for the women journalists who are actually interested in gaming coverage then using this medium as a springboard to hollywood.

#26 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

@Demoskinos: I wish. And for the road, I'm not being defensive. I just find it strange that a guy that looks like a serial killer can be so rude about someone elses apperance. And let's be honest here for a minute. No one can ever live up to your anime girls, can they?

This is going south quick.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@Demoskinos said:

I just think that her along with Miss Chobot are actually doing more harm for the women journalists who are actually interested in gaming coverage then using this medium as a springboard to hollywood.

And that was largely my problem with her when she was on AOTS and same with chobot being put into Mass Effect only to be a throw away love interest. They are just trading on their looks and sex appeal to the nerds. Can't get more classy than Munn deepthroating a hot dog on AOTS

#28 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Play to your strengths. That's the most basic rule if you ever want to achieve success. And you have to admit, they're both succesful, one more than the other.

#29 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@Rainbowkisses said:

@Legion_ said:

Honestly, I find it pretty goddamned funny. Its pretty sad when you've got to go straight to personal attacks over something so dumb and petty but hey its the internet right?

#30 Posted by mordukai (7128 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@mordukai said:

@Demoskinos said:

And that was largely my problem with her when she was on AOTS and same with chobot being put into Mass Effect only to be a throw away love interest. They are just trading on their looks and sex appeal to the nerds. Can't get more classy than Munn deepthroating a hot dog on AOTS

I bet I can top that. There was one episode where she was in Japan and she ate Shark meat on TV and to me that's more heinous act then any pseudo sexual act.

#31 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHA

I have loved David Jaffe for a long, long time (Jet Moto for the PS1) but he is hysterical in that interview.

He has this whole, like, "I'm a grown man, why am I talking to a Cheerleader who has no idea what my game is about?" attitude that's amazing. Most people would have been as awkard as she was but he managed to totally play it cool while making her look ridiculous.

That being said, I thought Munn was decent on the newroom.

I think a lot of it has to do with Sorkin's writing and that I think he does a lot of coaching for people to talk like he does. Which is why almost all the actors in his show are interchangeable. With the exception of Bradly Whitford who always managed to make the lines sound like his own.

#32 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Rainbowkisses said:

@Legion_ said:

Honestly, I find it pretty goddamned funny. Its pretty sad when you've got to go straight to personal attacks over something so dumb and petty but hey its the internet right?

So you can attack someone, but it's wrong when someone defends said person? That's...logical. The first thing you write in a thread about a persons acting skills is that she's ugly (that's the proper way to spell it by the way). Let's be honest, you're no marvel yourself, making you the de facto definition of a sad, sad person on the internet. Now let's get this thread back on track.

#33 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4518 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

When Legion_ cuts, it's to the bone.

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: The fuck is that guy behind him? O_o

#35 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4518 posts) -

@Demoskinos: One of Loaded Lux's posse. That whole rap battle was over the top and insane.

#36 Edited by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

It's absurd how just mentioning her starts a back and forth of either "SHE'S THE WORST PERSON EVER AND ULGY and stupid and if she was sexually assaulted, I'd probably say she was asking for it because she's sooo awful and slutty" or "SHE'S SO HOOOOOT and I could watch her eat hotdogs all day long until she chokes to death".

She's just a silly actress, and unless something has changed, she's still a regular human being like you and me. Why do we have to tear her down like she's worthless or even worse than worthless? And why do we have to ignore her flaws just to acknowledge that she may have positives like any other person?

We really don't need to be so extreme about her. It's okay to just say, "She's not my cup of tea." or "I think she may represent women in gaming poorly." And it's okay to simply admit, "Yeah, she's not perfect, but I still enjoy her performances." or "I like her, but I can admit that others may not appreciate her to the same extent that I do."

It's okay to have a conversation on an entertainer without just devolving into personal attacks and raving. We're all capable of better than this.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14523 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: Someone needs to take the concept of "rap battles" and apply RPG mechanics to it in a video game. You could gather a posse and each posse member would attribute you different bonuses to defeat other rival MCs.

#38 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Agreed. But to call her ugly... It's just so stupid. She is a good looking lady.

#39 Posted by s10129107 (1173 posts) -

I only knew her from the Daily Show. She seemed ok.

#40 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Demoskinos: So now you're derailing the thread further. Dispure, would you kindly?

#41 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

Her being in gaming media was always about using it as a springboard to movies and television.

QFT

#42 Posted by Animasta (14637 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

@TruthTellah: Agreed. But to call her ugly... It's just so stupid. She is a good looking lady.

It's like people don't know what ugly is; she's not the hottest person out there but she's much better than most in this topic would ever get.

and you know what? if y'all were in her shoes (trying to get into movies/tv shows whatever) you'd fucking use AOTS as a springboard too. That is what the life of an actor is like, it's goddamn cutthroat man

#43 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Animasta: I applaud your comment.

#44 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Absolutely criminal that she ever had any sort of career, you'd get more intelligent discourse talking to a fucking toaster.

I guess it goes to show that looking moderately attractive can take you pretty far.

#45 Posted by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

I live in the UK so I have only ever seen clips of her posted on gaming forums and never really cared. The only thing I really know her from is the Newsroom. I really like the show (most of the time) and she is one of the most memorable and likable characters in it.

#46 Posted by TruthTellah (8420 posts) -

@Legion_ said:

I'm guessing their point is to put her down as an individual, and a classical insult toward a woman is to denigrate their attractiveness. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so, she may be attractive to some and not attractive to others. Though, I agree that it doesn't necessarily make her ugly. Judging by the personal nature of such insults, I think a judgment of her character and worth factors into that perceived "ugliness". So, even if someone is relatively attractive, someone could judge her as "ugly" due in large part to her personality or what she represents to them. I don't think that's particularly stupid for someone to suggest, as many people -are- ugly in that way, but it certainly doesn't have to just come out in a horribly careless and mean-spirited way.

People can note that they don't think she is particularly attractive or skilled at acting without resorting to demeaning who she is or her worth as a human being, but then, it is similar to how some will express their attraction to her in a crude manner, referring to her more as a sex object than a person. So, that kind of crudeness can and often does go both ways.

#47 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@Simplexity: I would have to disagree. With her role on The Newsroom, she proves that she is more than a pretty face. She is actually a good actress. And get off your high horse.

#48 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

ahh i want more newsroom

#49 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

1 day in and I bet this is the greatest post of 2013. Hitman level shit right here.

#50 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@Legion_: Hey man, it is actually a pretty funny show so ... it's worth a shot!

And I agree that calling her ugly is just straight up wrong. You can say that she isn't of your preference, but she is certainly above average for sure. But hey, discussing her looks is shallow conversation, so let's keep it on topic yo!