#1 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3935226/world-of-warcraft-director-duncan-jones

Duncan Jones will take the director's seat for Legendary Pictures' live-action World of Warcraft movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Jones made his directorial debut with 2009's Moon, an independent sci-fi drama starring Sam Rockwell.

Moon its an amazing movie... I just can't imagine what would come out of this, World of Warcraft is not exactly a mature universe, or is it? I haven't consume any peripheral media outside the game.

As THR notes, Jones has leaped into the big leagues with the Warcraft job: the budget for the film is reportedly expected to be upwards of $100 million. (Source Code was made on a $35 million budget.) THR says that the film is expected to start in 2013 and debut in 2015 — which is now shaping up to be a big year in fantasy and sci-fi.

100 Million budget for a WOW movie, this whole thing seems like an Aprils fools joke. They took ages to get this going, its good to know that they were looking for the right people to do it.

What you guys think? I honestly don't care that much about WoW nowadays... but this might be actually cool.

#2 Edited by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

I forgot WoW was still a thing.

I'd probably rip up $10 instead of spending it on a WoW movie.

#3 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

I think Duncan Jones is very talented, but I could care less about Warcraft.

#4 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

The time has long passed where a WoW movie would be of any significance.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3796 posts) -

So this is a really weird choice, right?

Some of these directors being chosen for these movies lately are so strange. But I guess it's better than the same old crap action directors.

#6 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

This seems half a decade too late. I'd rather Blizzard just make a Warcraft movie with their own CG department anyways.

#7 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2363 posts) -

Already a thread on this.

#8 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

This won't happen.

#9 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -

@flindip said:

It's "couldn't care less."

...sorry. This is the only grammar thing I correct. It's the opposite of what you're trying to say so it bothers me.

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This won't ever see the light of day. Too many video game movie projects just kind of ... fall off the radar. Remember that Halo movie? Of course you don't, it never came out.

#11 Posted by NTM (7337 posts) -

Eh, I don't care.

@flindip said:

I could care less

Here we go again.

#12 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

Who's the screenwriter? That's what matters.

#13 Posted by flindip (533 posts) -

@Chuggsy: Whatever makes you feel like you have a purpose. I am here for you.

#14 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

Some of these directors being chosen for these movies lately are so strange. But I guess it's better than the same old crap action directors.

Well, I'm guessing these odd choices are significantly cheaper than the "same old crap action directors."

#15 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

Well, I'm guessing these odd choices are significantly cheaper than the "same old crap action directors."

Is it really that odd though? The guy knows his stuff when it comes to video games.

#16 Posted by SaFt (383 posts) -

Duncan Jones or not, a live action World of Warcraft movie is going to be stupid.

#17 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

It will never get made.

#18 Posted by chrissedoff (2082 posts) -

I think Jones also directed Source Code, which was a very solid sci-fi action movie.

#19 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4709 posts) -

So what are all the "HURR DURR I DONT CARE" people hoping to contribute other than inflating their own ego by showing how cool they are in their apathy?

On topic: Cool, I heard Moon was good.

#20 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

my roomate is a big fan of wow, he said it's a live action movie on warcraft. which is the same lore as wow i guess but different

#21 Posted by Damodar (1343 posts) -

Duncan Jones is great, but this will never go anywhere.

#22 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I was a pretty dedicated WoW player at one point and hearing about this potentially happening always made me cringe. It was always enough humiliation having Ozzy Osbourne and Mr. T commercials during NBA games. I still have some affection for the universe but if it does come out I hope its filled with griefing jokes and an Orc says "lol" at some point, that kind of stuff, like it did in my imagination.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

@Chuggsy said:

@flindip said:

It's "couldn't care less."

...sorry. This is the only grammar thing I correct. It's the opposite of what you're trying to say so it bothers me.

What if he meant that he actually does care? That way, he does have the potential to care less!

Stupid comments aside, I also feel like this is a joke. WoW is not the kind of thing that you make a movie out of. If you're going to make a video game movie, why not make one of Uncharted? Or Killzone? Or Metro 2033?

#24 Posted by DeathByWaffle (631 posts) -

I love Duncan Jones... but I don't know how I feel about a WoW movie. Seems like not a great idea. Would be interested to see what he would come up with though, but I'd rather have him working on something else.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9866 posts) -

DAVID BOWIE'S KID

#26 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Legandary Pictures is trying to make a Warcraft rather than a Uncharted movie because they have the rights to Warcraft, Columbia Pictures have the rights to Uncharted. MGM has the rights to Metro 2033, so Killzone is the only film you listed that doesn't have a film currently in "development."

Not like any of these movies are going to get made.

#27 Posted by LikeaSsur (1511 posts) -

@msavo said:

It will never get made.

Hit the nail on the head. This movie, along with the Halo, Mass Effect, Darkness, Assassin's Creed, and any other video game movie that's "in the works" will never get made.

#28 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

I'd see it. 2015 is a sort of big year for movies. Avengers 2, Ant-man, Avatar 2, maybe Star Wars(it might get delayed. Abrams ain't committed to the 2015 release date.)

#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5614 posts) -

I thought Sam Raimi was still on this. I was interested in seeing his take on a fantasy world. Oh well, Moon was pretty awesome, so I have to assume this will be good as well.

#30 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3143 posts) -

With the right budget and the right effects guys, this could be a fun movie. Seeing the Lich King on the big screen? Shit yes.

#31 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

The time has long passed where a WoW movie would be of any significance.

No it hasn't. WoW has such a huge player base that past and present players will definitely see it, especially if it's good.

#32 Posted by LTSmash (617 posts) -

Great news! I expect we'll see this come out around the same time as the Halo movie and Ghostbusters 3.

#33 Edited by Superfriend (1545 posts) -

I guess someone saw the Hobbit and read about it raking in a bunch of cash- then that someone decided that fantasy was not dead.

Considering how painfully long every. single step. of. the. process. takes in hollywood, that opinion will have changed in a couple of years and the WoW movie will never be filmed. That or they will turn it into a quick cash in starring Sam Worthington as some Orc-guy.

Edit: as some Orc-guy who says: "Lol, look at those noobish humans!"

#34 Posted by Wampa1 (641 posts) -

After Moon and Source Code I'd much rather see him develop another property on his own than try and fit an awkwardly stylized fantasy world into live action. Still if it pay's the bills and get's us another Moon I'm happy.

#35 Posted by AlfredCapone (164 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

#36 Posted by project343 (2817 posts) -

I am both incredibly excited and incredibly nervous. At the very least, it'll be interesting.

#37 Posted by TehBuLL (604 posts) -

If he can get his dad in it to play one of the undead, I'm sold. Also Moon was excellent but casting Sam Rockwell was the genius move there.

#38 Edited by ripelivejam (3801 posts) -

@AlfredCapone said:

@TyCobb said:

you wouldn't really do that. at least you get the possibility of entertainment value, and duncan jones is a pretty respectable director so he may be able to turn it into something good.

tbh tho i thought Source Code was a bit ridiculous (despite the first half showing promise). Moon was pretty fantastic though; not necessarily hard sci-fi by any means but it was nice to at least see a well-paced, slowly unfurling sci-fi movie that didn't assume its audience had the intelligence of a gnat (Primer notwithstanding...). also amazing what they were able to achieve effects-wise. still like duncan jones a good deal more than niell blomkamp (district 9 was quite the big disappointment/letdown for me)

#39 Posted by Mageman (351 posts) -

The movie could be quite good if they decided to make it in CG like that WoW trailer.

#40 Posted by Plipster (132 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

You rational person, you.