#1 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

First trailer for The Raid 2: Berandal

The Raid: Redemption was one of the best action movies I've seen in years and I'm super pumped for a sequel. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do from a story perspective, the first movie was pretty basic, plot wise, and it looks like there's a bit more going on in Berandal. Rama's back but he's in jail for some reason and it looks like he's got the hell beat out of him. Also hammer girl.

Can't wait for this. If you haven't seen the first movie, go watch it now. NOW NOW NOW.

#2 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8725 posts) -

At first, I thought Jeff had announced THE RAID to Japan, but this is cool, too.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

@truthtellah: This...is exactly what I was expecting. Disappointing!

#5 Posted by Hamst3r (4479 posts) -

WOO YEAH!

#6 Posted by cloudymusic (1100 posts) -

You've gotta be careful using the words "THE RAID" around here.

But yeah, cool.

#7 Edited by gaminghooligan (1434 posts) -

oh man the punches.... THE PUNCHES IN BUNCHES

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

But yeah, cool.

Yeah, I was seriously bummed out after opening this thread.

#9 Posted by Rorie (2853 posts) -

RAID HARDER

Staff
#10 Posted by ShaggE (6403 posts) -

Dreams shattered...

Someday, folks. Some day. :(

#11 Posted by bart008 (18 posts) -

Thanks, I am excited!

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (11943 posts) -

@cloudymusic said:

But yeah, cool.

Yeah, me too.

#13 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@cloudymusic said:

But yeah, cool.

Yeah, me too.

I thought this was going to be tales from Jeff's tumblr of one happening :(

#14 Posted by chiablo (920 posts) -

Didn't see the original, but after seeing that it's done by the same company as Crouching Tiger: Hidden Dragon and Kung Fu: Hustle, I'm all over this.

#15 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

Nice! It was originally planned to be a trilogy by the way.

#16 Posted by wjb (1653 posts) -

The third movie should just be the dude from The Raid and Judge Dredd teaming up, or maybe a versus-type film.

#17 Posted by chiablo (920 posts) -

@wjb said:

The third movie should just be the dude from The Raid and Judge Dredd teaming up, or maybe a versus-type film.

Dredd starts on the bottom floor, the raid guy starts on the top. When they hit the middle floor, it'll be awesome!

#18 Edited by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -

The fact that some of you are disappointed that this isn't about a shopping spree is the saddest thing I have seen in a while. The correct response is to jump up and throw your chair out a window and punch everything in sight because a sequel to THE FUCKING RAID is coming!!!!!!!

I'm still not sure how Hollywood hasn't descended upon that writer/director with dumptrucks full of cash and giving him carte blanche to make whatever he wants, but I guess I will never understand the movie biz

#19 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

Boo! I was expecting something different (and much more interesting in my opinion)...

#20 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1375 posts) -

Will another person be impaled by a broken door, I for one hope so/

#21 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

Already looks way more complicated than the first one, don't know if that's a good thing or not just yet. But I'm hyped.

#22 Posted by spraynardtatum (2798 posts) -

holy hell. I love The Raid. This looks badass.

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@truthtellah: This...is exactly what I was expecting. Disappointing!

I was wondering what happened to the first raid, then I opened this thread and was sad.

#24 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

JEFF DOES NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO THAT TITLE YOU TURDS. And no, a dude I do not personally know going shopping for stuff that I will not get to use is not more exciting. Don't be crazy.

#25 Posted by TruthTellah (8725 posts) -

JEFF DOES NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO THAT TITLE YOU TURDS. And no, a dude I do not personally know going shopping for stuff that I will not get to use is not more exciting. Don't be crazy.

You shut your mouth, you beast! Nothing is more exciting than THE RAID!

I mean, if it ever happens. For now, a sequel to The Raid is pretty exciting. :)

#26 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

Hmmm. Not sure.

Part of why The Raid worked was in it's simplicity both in storytelling and visually/cinematically. Which gave it kind of an elegance in execution, a very interesting style that contrasted very well with the hand to hand brutal fights and tense moments.

So far this trailer seems a bit overdone/overproduced/overcomplicated. It's hard to pin down exactly.

I just hope we won't get into the same situation as The Boondock Saints. Where the first movie became a cult classic that people loved, but the second movie showed that they have no fucking idea why people loved it and turned into a generic (mostly forgettable) action flick.

Please be good, please be good.

#27 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

@truthtellah: ok in all honesty I would be pumped if he goes through with it. I kinda have my doubts it'll ever happen though. Plus there won't be nearly as many punches.

#28 Edited by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter said:

Really, if the first thing you think of when you hear 'The Raid' isn't the door kill, then you're crazy. YOU'RE CRAZY.

And The Raid 2 looks hype.

@tennmuerti Believe in Gareth Evans! How can you not put all your faith into a Welsh guy who makes films in Indonesia. I've only seen The Raid and his segment in V/H/S 2, but the Raid is by far my favourite action film in years, and his short film stole the fucking show in V/H/S 2.

That, and everything out of Indonesia recently seems to be made from such hungry dudes who never give a fuck. I can't really see them get complacent just for a bit of money.

#29 Posted by SeanCoughing (261 posts) -

I'm going to have to agree that a Japanese shopping spree (while awesome) has nothing on this as far my hype level goes. Goddamn after watching that door scene I must watch this film again tonight!

#30 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2499 posts) -

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I LOVED The Raid!!

#31 Edited by gaminghooligan (1434 posts) -

@biggiedubs said:

@thebunnyhunter said:

Really, if the first thing you think of when you hear 'The Raid' isn't the door kill, then you're crazy. YOU'RE CRAZY.

And The Raid 2 looks hype!

Other things come to mind........

#32 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

My body is so ready. Damn that trailer was intense.

#33 Posted by Andorski (5248 posts) -
#34 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

YES! I had a feeling somehow you were talking about a sequel to The Raid: Redemption but I had forgotten the name of the movie so I wasn't sure. Happy I checked this thread out. I'm going to watch this!

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (9793 posts) -

So is Mad Dog's 'brother' going to show up in the Raid 2, played by the same guy but even crazier now?

#36 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

@andorski said:

That motherfucker was crazy.

Am I crazy or is that him at :38 I know it's super unlikely considering what happened in the first but...it looks a lot like him.

#37 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

The trailer has scared me a little...a part of what made Redemption so awesome was it's super simple plotline and this trailer makes it look like way more is going on. That being said I am crazy hyped to see a second Raid film so I'll hold out hope they don't mess it up.

#38 Posted by Flacracker (1645 posts) -

FUCK ME RAID 2! YES MOTHERFUCKER

#39 Posted by Killerfridge (308 posts) -

@andorski said:

Am I crazy or is that him at :38 I know it's super unlikely considering what happened in the first but...it looks a lot like him.

That two on one fight scene with him was so glorious. I am so pumped for this. Even if the story doesn't pan out, who cares? More fight scenes!
Reading everything here makes me remember how brutal some of those fights are. When he jabs a knife into a dude's thigh then just slices to his knee...oh man

#40 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: Same actor, different character.

This looks awesome, I love the first one.

#41 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

....So...No Raid? lol

#42 Posted by Strife777 (1516 posts) -

Fucking. Awesome.

I wasn't sure if you were talking about GB's Japan raid, but I'm still satisfied. That movie is great.

#43 Posted by gaminghooligan (1434 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

@andorski said:

That two on one fight scene with him was so glorious. I am so pumped for this. Even if the story doesn't pan out, who cares? More fight scenes!

Reading everything here makes me remember how brutal some of those fights are. When he jabs a knife into a dude's thigh then just slices to his knee...oh man

The fight in the drug lab is easily one of my favorite fight scenes ever, but the whole movie was just a solid thrill ride. I haven't been this excited for an action movie in a long long time.

#44 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1721 posts) -

@tennmuerti: To be fair, this sequel was originally planned to be the first movie, but the script was too ambitious and called for a higher budget than they had to work with. Thus, the simpler and lower-budgeted "The Raid" was born and written as a prequel to help fund Berandal. So I'd like to believe that most of whatever is happening in this movie was planned from the start.
Gareth Evans is certainly one of, if not THE best action director in the business right now, and this is his own project, so I think it's in good hands.

#45 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -
#46 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3851 posts) -

@gaminghooligan: Yeah the drug lab was awesome. That reminds me how good the score was too, not really a huge Linkin Park fan but Mike Shinoda did a great job.

@ramone said:

@peasantabuse said:

@thesoutherndandy: Same actor, different character.

This looks awesome, I love the first one.

A brother perhaps?

It could be. Hell they could tell me that crazy bastard somehow survived and I'd buy it.

#47 Edited by Cramsy (1166 posts) -

Maaan The Raid was such an awesome film. Title is completely warranted

#48 Posted by SSully (4152 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: Holy shit, I completely forgot about that scene. So good.

#49 Edited by audioBusting (1496 posts) -

That's a cool action movie title. "Berandal" means something like "kid thug". It's at least a whole lot less generic than the "Redemption" subtitle of the previous one.

#50 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

That's it, I'm rewatching the Raid this weekend!