One Game I Am Really Looking Forward to - Left 4 Dead

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By xpxTomxqx

I recently downnloaded the demo of Left 4 Dead and it seems to me as though this could be my game of 2008. I have played through the first two levels of the game that the demo provides and these are the things I have noticed about the game.

The premise of the game is perfect and executed fairly successfully. You are one of a bunch of four survivours and your task is to survive against the hordes of undead. However, what differentiates this game from the rest is that the zombies are like 28 Days Later super zombies and will run at you instead of being the mindless, dumb zombies we have become accustomed to fighting with games such as Resident Evil. This makes the game much more action packed instead of a suspense ride although when a horde of zombies do attack it tends to make you jump.

Graphically, the game is pretty average. While it's not on par with Gears of War, the game seems to hold fairly well. However, when a horde does come to attack you, sometimes the game will suffer a slowdown but this rarely happens as the game is meant for loads of zombies on screen at once.

I think it's safe to say that this game is one of the best games I have played this year.

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By xpxTomxqx

I recently downnloaded the demo of Left 4 Dead and it seems to me as though this could be my game of 2008. I have played through the first two levels of the game that the demo provides and these are the things I have noticed about the game.

The premise of the game is perfect and executed fairly successfully. You are one of a bunch of four survivours and your task is to survive against the hordes of undead. However, what differentiates this game from the rest is that the zombies are like 28 Days Later super zombies and will run at you instead of being the mindless, dumb zombies we have become accustomed to fighting with games such as Resident Evil. This makes the game much more action packed instead of a suspense ride although when a horde of zombies do attack it tends to make you jump.

Graphically, the game is pretty average. While it's not on par with Gears of War, the game seems to hold fairly well. However, when a horde does come to attack you, sometimes the game will suffer a slowdown but this rarely happens as the game is meant for loads of zombies on screen at once.

I think it's safe to say that this game is one of the best games I have played this year.

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ryu

ZOMG Tom Hargreaves is back.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Discorsi

I wish they made the guns sound A LOT better.  That would go along ways to making the game one of the best games of the year

xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xpxTomxqx

@Ben - Haha, not fully yet =P
@Discorsi - I don't really notice the sound of the guns because as long as they sound like they're firing bullets I don't care how realistic or good it sounds.

ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ChestyMcGee

HOLY SHIT IT'S TOM!

As a more on topic point (and this what Ben should've done):
I love Left 4 Dead. It's so awesome, and it's not just mindless violence - especially on Expert mode - because you have to work as a team so well. In terms of graphics, L4D's lighting is amazing but its textures are very good, the reason people don't think Source looks good is because they don't try to cover evreything up with rediculous amounts of bump and and relfection-mapping (*cough cough* Call of Duty: World at War). Furthering Discorsi's point, many of the weapon sounds and animations are pretty poor and lifted straight out of Counter Strike: Source, a game infamous for poor animations and low-poly models. I think if Christmas wasn't coming up I wouldn't even bother getting L4D, especially not for 360 (as amazing as it is) chiefly because it's majorly over-priced. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the game and it's top of my Christmas list, but I still think £40 is too much, the $60 on Steam is too much too (that's about £33 for a PC game, which is too much).

Anyways, good to have you back Tom.

Oh yeah apart from that bit where we're starting to compare everything and anything to Gears of War.
xpxTomxqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xpxTomxqx

@Sean - I know what you mean by overpriced but I'm buying the game thinking of the sheer replay value it will give me. I reckon this could last me a while.