One good thing coming out of the economic crisis *wink wink*

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Milkman

California is now seriously considering making pot legal! HIGH FIVE! RIGHT?! RIGHT?!

But seriously, this guy makes a very good argument in favor of pot, while the Sparkle Motion representative over there sounds like a dumbass.

So, what do you think Giant Bomb? Should pot be legal in California?

EDIT: Ok, apparently I can't embed the clip so hold on a sec.

EDIT again: Ok, here's the link instead. Yeah, I know. Fox News fails.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Willy105

Well, if it will stop people from using it, then it should be legal.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Moeez

Haha, Sparkle Motion! Love that movie XD

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I think pot should be legal everywhere. Not only would that decrease the crime associated with illegal drugs, but the government could tax it as well. 

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Karmum

Good for the people in California? Sure, why not. Whether or not marijuana eventually becomes legal across the nation, I won't smoke it. Not the point, government could make a profit off of it, and it isn't like you hear many marijuana-related deaths. The only problem I could see is smoking in public. Honestly, anybody against something like this has to be in denial. Especially the parents of America, perhaps some of the biggest hypocrites on drugs and spew out lies to kingdom come when it comes to marijuana.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don`t see why not, the effects are no more harmful then getting drunk, I'd rather hang out with a stoner then a drunk any day, and if they can sell it legally and tax it, there looking at a good chunk of cash, plus there are tons and tons of people in prison just because they smoked or were carrying marijuana and prisons are already full as it is over such a stupid law.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By maxszy

Make it legal and then tax it to hell. The government could make so much money from taxes on it. Sure for small time period there would be a huge spike in increased usage, but it would go back down. The government needs the money, so they should just do it! I know, there are many obstacles.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThomasP

California should legalize it, sell it, tax it and enjoy its benefits. I don't see it happening though.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I thought it already was legal, at least medically, in California.  And a friend I have who lives there, actually a few, have said that if you have "the card" (not sure what that is) you can get it at the shops/vending machine and you can grow up to a certain amount.   So technically, it is legal. 

I definitely think it should be legalized for non-medical use, as it has many benefits.  Aside from the NORML viewpoint of its helpfulness, there's many more.  Right now in America jails are overcrowding with non-violent offenders.   People who got caught with a little more than the misdemeanor amount are spending time in jail for something that is, in my opinion, petty.  Our tax dollars go to paying for inmates to eat and sleep, therefore I think actual criminals should be locked up, not potheads.  I'm not saying it should be legal to sell marijuana either.  If the government was smart, they'd legalize ganja and tax the shit out of it, and hold a monopoly on that market.  With that and cigarettes the debt would be paid off in a month.   Of course there are flaws in every plan, and I'm sure my "great" idea/opinion has many.

Also, somewhere I read a statistic that stated 80% of Americans have tried pot at least once in their life.  Of course that includes current smokers, and 1 timers.  All the same it's opening the minds of those who think it's a deadly dangerous drug.  Give it time, as liberal as America is getting it won't be long before weed laws are reformed.  

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Of course. Pot should be legal everywhere.

Why the hell should we get arrested for having the wrong type of vegetation in our pocket?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have yet to encounter a person who identifies as a stoner and isn't a complete cunt so something which could potentially make more sounds terrible, though, the idea of making it legal and heavily taxing it does sound like it could ruin the lives of plenty tokers.

lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Heavily taxing pot defeats the purpose of legalizing it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Not really. Alcohol and tobacco are heavily taxed here and yet the amount of people who make their own is still a tiny number because the price is worth paying for the convenience.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snipzor
lilburtonboy7489 said:
"Heavily taxing pot defeats the purpose of legalizing it.
"
Would it? I would rather have it taxed than be expensive and illegal. Even though I am anti-drug.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brukaoru
SathingtonWaltz said:
"I think pot should be legal everywhere. Not only would that decrease the crime associated with illegal drugs, but the government could tax it as well. "
Agreed, I think it would also help decrease the amount of new users.
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Well, just like with every other good, when you tax something, especially when you tax it heavily, people will go to alternatives for the goods.

By legalizing drugs, you basically destroy all power of gangs. The black market which funds these nasty gangs is so successful because it has a monopoly on these drugs.

Legalizing it would basically destroy their monopoly and in result, their power. However, if you heavily tax it, the black market will be re-created. People will just sell the stuff tax free, and those people will most likely be the criminals and the gangs. And there ya go, they have their power back. Gangs would not exist if there weren't illegal substances for them to monopolize. Heavily taxing pot, would give them back their monopoly because they could sell it so much cheaper.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
lilburtonboy7489 said:
"Well, just like with every other good, when you tax something, especially when you tax it heavily, people will go to alternatives for the goods."
So what do people do to get around paying for alcohol and tobacco?
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snipzor
lilburtonboy7489 said:
"Well, just like with every other good, when you tax something, especially when you tax it heavily, people will go to alternatives for the goods.

By legalizing drugs, you basically destroy all power of gangs. The black market which funds these nasty gangs is so successful because it has a monopoly on these drugs.

Legalizing it would basically destroy their monopoly and in result, their power. However, if you heavily tax it, the black market will be re-created. People will just sell the stuff tax free, and those people will most likely be the criminals and the gangs. And there ya go, they have their power back. Gangs would not exist if there weren't illegal substances for them to monopolize. Heavily taxing pot, would give them back their monopoly because they could sell it so much cheaper.
"
Well are they going to tax it heavily? Doubt it, especially considering that the slightest tax would provide excellent revenues.

Now all we have to do is wait until they realize that megachurches don't deserve the tax exemption status.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Gunner

The lady in the video against legalization of pat is just using false scare tactics much like all anti-drug groups. If pot was illegal i guarentee you that all illegal trafficing of the drug will go away, If a person can get weed from a store, whats the point of calling up your dealer, driving to his house, meeting unpleasant people, giving more money than its worth, then having the chance of it being laced with something dangrouse? I refuse to belive that the consumer would rather go through all of that than to go down to the local gas station and picking up a pack. And anyone who knows anything about economics at all, no consumer means no need for the product.

There wont be any issue of drug dealers not wanting to "give up their turf" because there wont be any "turf" to fight over if its legalized.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AndrewGaspar

People shouldn't be smoking it period. Actually, people shouldn't do drugs or use alcohol period (or at least use alcohol in excess). It's just stupid. Why would you want to purposely harm yourself?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gunner
AndrewGaspar said:
"People shouldn't be smoking it period. Actually, people shouldn't do drugs or use alcohol period (or at least use alcohol in excess). It's just stupid. Why would you want to purposely harm yourself?
"
cause its fun.

(i dont do drugs aside from drinking btw)
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Gunner said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"People shouldn't be smoking it period. Actually, people shouldn't do drugs or use alcohol period (or at least use alcohol in excess). It's just stupid. Why would you want to purposely harm yourself?
"
cause its fun.

"
Most drugs make people lazy and inefficient, alcohol included, if taken in large doses.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Hamz

Drinking alcohol actually has a positive effect on the human body and if you knew anything about employment law you would realise pretty much every profession states drinking on the job or having alcohol in your system while working is not allowed. I would imagine if weed did get legalised in California they would treat it very much like alcohol is treated, although I'm not sure how they can actually tax it.

I mean how do you tax someone for something they are probably growing at home? They would basically have to legalise it and state somewhere that home produce of weed is illegal, but buying and using it from registered stores or whatever is ok.

Also just a reminder, lets keep the discussion focused on this particular issue about weed being considered for legalisation and not derail this into a "I hate drugs, alcohol, smoking and anyone who does any of that!"...."I think you're stupid for being such a conservative" argument. And I don't think I need to remind you all that the only reason this topic stays alive is because so far the conversation has been decent, productive and not branched too deeply into the illegal. The moment it does, it gets locked :)

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gunner
AndrewGaspar said:
"Gunner said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"
cause its fun.

"
Most drugs make people lazy and inefficient, alcohol included, if taken in large doses.
"
Its still fun though.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Milkman
AndrewGaspar said:
"Gunner said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"
cause its fun.

"
"
Honestly, I have some mixed feelings about the effects of weed. Although, it is true that weed probably has less of an effect on you than alcohol, weed can definitely still be dangerous. One of my friends stole his mom's car while he was high and then got arrested for driving on a busy road with no license. Needless to say, that story could have had a much sadder ending. But the same could be said about alcohol. It's really just all about self-control.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Milkman

Also, sorry for the double post but many people were asking about what the tax would be like. If pot is legalized in California, the tax would be $50 per pound.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Systech

Since I am living in California, this is kind of a big deal. The problem is that we're just going to get a lot of people coming here just to smoke weed.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Geno

There has never really been a reason to make marijuana illegal. Statistically, smoking and alcohol are more dentrimental in both the long and short term. Cutting down on NARC squads would also save hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars a year. Legalizing it would also cut down on crime, dissipating the street gangs that live off of drug trafficking rather than getting an education. The sales of marijuana could also be taxed, tallying up even more money for the government. I wouldn't be at all surprised if California passes this since being the richest state, it's also likely the most intelligent.