One Nine Nine Four

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Edited By Gunner

So i know most of the people on this site must think I come home from work, open up iTunes and listen to Rise Against non-stop while trolling the forums until i go to bed. But i actually listen to a lot of different music, Rise Against just happens to be my favorite band of all time. I normally only listen to Punk Rock/Hardcore bands (Bad Religion, The Offspring, Black Flag, NOFX exc.) and ive developed a passion for the Punk Rock genre, while i don't see eye to eye on a lot of the lyrics in most of the bands (The Descendants for example, talk about being "different" and not a sheep and about being young even though they are in their 30's) but i have a lot of respect for the bands who have roughed through the horrible 90's (the decade were Punk Rock nearly died) and gathered up what little bit of talent they had left and pushed on to keep Punk Rock alive and toured in old beat up vans during the summer to take a vacation from there regular boring jobs, sometimes only leaving with about 50 bucks in their pockets after a show. Those guys had a real passion for their music and did whatever they could to keep it alive.

So while browsing the interwebz i came across a trailer for a documentry that is coming out in early 2009 called One Nine Nine Four. It has a bunch of people (Fat Mike, creator of Fat Wreck Chords and lead singer/bassist of NOFX, Dexter, lead singer/guitarist of The Offspring, Greg Graffin, Lead singer of Bad Religion exc.) who have literally fought to keep Punk alive and how so many punk bands have changed the face of music as we know it.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gunner

So i know most of the people on this site must think I come home from work, open up iTunes and listen to Rise Against non-stop while trolling the forums until i go to bed. But i actually listen to a lot of different music, Rise Against just happens to be my favorite band of all time. I normally only listen to Punk Rock/Hardcore bands (Bad Religion, The Offspring, Black Flag, NOFX exc.) and ive developed a passion for the Punk Rock genre, while i don't see eye to eye on a lot of the lyrics in most of the bands (The Descendants for example, talk about being "different" and not a sheep and about being young even though they are in their 30's) but i have a lot of respect for the bands who have roughed through the horrible 90's (the decade were Punk Rock nearly died) and gathered up what little bit of talent they had left and pushed on to keep Punk Rock alive and toured in old beat up vans during the summer to take a vacation from there regular boring jobs, sometimes only leaving with about 50 bucks in their pockets after a show. Those guys had a real passion for their music and did whatever they could to keep it alive.

So while browsing the interwebz i came across a trailer for a documentry that is coming out in early 2009 called One Nine Nine Four. It has a bunch of people (Fat Mike, creator of Fat Wreck Chords and lead singer/bassist of NOFX, Dexter, lead singer/guitarist of The Offspring, Greg Graffin, Lead singer of Bad Religion exc.) who have literally fought to keep Punk alive and how so many punk bands have changed the face of music as we know it.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

And the offspring is the best

i like the others, but punk rock is definately great.  Not stuff like green day though, no thanks.
---> I find this kind of skater punk rock though.  There's many  other types of punk rock than just that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Saw the trailer a few months ago. I've been waiting for this for a long time.
Man, the memories of skateboarding and listening to this music still keep me warm

But please, how can you praise Offspring in one sentence and then dismiss Green Day in the next and probably because of American Idiot.
Green Day's Kerplunk! and Dookie albums from that era were seminal. I was actually a fan of Insomniac and Nimrod as well.
Ignition and Smash by the Offspring are fantastic albums. Ixnay On The Hombre was uneven and Americana was full of so much crap that almost made me give up on them as a band. Songs liek Why Don't You Get  A Job? and Pretty Fly For A White Guy were absolutely terrible. And that Original Pranksta song they folloewd taht with. Phew. Thank God they pumped out stuff like She's Got Issues and I Want You Bad inbetween.

Oh yeah, you do realize that the Descendents weren't in their 30's when they wrote a lotta their songs. Hell. The band went on quite a hiatus when Milo dropped iut to finish his college degree and the rest of the band kept going on with All.

I'm really looking foward to this and I hope they'll give a shout out to Burning Heart Records. That little record company holds so many fucking fantastic punk memories for me with No Fun At All, Bodyjar, 59 Times The Pain, Millencolin,Satanic Surfers. Shit the list goes on.

In closing, I'd like to hear why you think punk rock was almost killed in the 90s? Like I think the early 90s were a ressurection of a lotta punk whilst the latter half had it spread too much to the winds with the popularity of 3rd wave ska, corporate pop punk, the rise of emopunk, the criminally quick and fantastic rise and fall of deathpunk, the poeple still doing it for the cause, hardcore getting harder and the prog/experimentation of postpunk.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DualReaver

All because of you
I believe in Angels
Not the kind with wings
No, not the kind with halos
The kind that bring you home

I don't really like Rise Against, at all, but I love those lyrics.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gunner
TeflonBilly said:
"Saw the trailer a few months ago. I've been waiting for this for a long time.
Man, the memories of skateboarding and listening to this music still keep me warm

But please, how can you praise Offspring in one sentence and then dismiss Green Day in the next and probably because of American Idiot.
Green Day's Kerplunk! and Dookie albums from that era were seminal. I was actually a fan of Insomniac and Nimrod as well.
Ignition and Smash by the Offspring are fantastic albums. Ixnay On The Hombre was uneven and Americana was full of so much crap that almost made me give up on them as a band. Songs liek Why Don't You Get  A Job? and Pretty Fly For A White Guy were absolutely terrible. And that Original Pranksta song they folloewd taht with. Phew. Thank God they pumped out stuff like She's Got Issues and I Want You Bad inbetween.

Oh yeah, you do realize that the Descendents weren't in their 30's when they wrote a lotta their songs. Hell. The band went on quite a hiatus when Milo dropped iut to finish his college degree and the rest of the band kept going on with All.

I'm really looking foward to this and I hope they'll give a shout out to Burning Heart Records. That little record company holds so many fucking fantastic punk memories for me with No Fun At All, Bodyjar, 59 Times The Pain, Millencolin,Satanic Surfers. Shit the list goes on.

In closing, I'd like to hear why you think punk rock was almost killed in the 90s? Like I think the early 90s were a ressurection of a lotta punk whilst the latter half had it spread too much to the winds with the popularity of 3rd wave ska, corporate pop punk, the rise of emopunk, the criminally quick and fantastic rise and fall of deathpunk, the poeple still doing it for the cause, hardcore getting harder and the prog/experimentation of postpunk."
The Descendents were in their 30's when they released their newest album "Cool to be you" and it had a lot of stuff that would only relate to teenagers. Just seems kind of odd to me, dont get me wrong, the descendents are one of my favorite bands but i just dont think alot of their lyrics makes sense to me.

I dont think it nearly "died" in the early 90's but there was defenately a slowdown in the quality of punk record that were coming out.

DualReaver said:
"All because of you
I believe in Angels
Not the kind with wings
No, not the kind with halos
The kind that bring you home

I don't really like Rise Against, at all, but I love those lyrics."

Rise Against is one of the more intellectual politically active punk bands out there. Their lyrics, whether they have to do with politics or not are always amazing.

Though with their new album, i think they are drifting further and further away from punk rock, hopefully after they are done with geffen they will go back to fat wrck chords and start making some good music again.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gunner
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

And the offspring is the best

i like the others, but punk rock is definately great.  Not stuff like green day though, no thanks.
---> I find this kind of skater punk rock though.  There's many  other types of punk rock than just that.

"
Older Greenday is pretty good, but there is no reason to hate on them just because they made a bad album recently.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Rise Against isn't anything super original, but they do bring to the mainstream what guys like Propaghandi couldn't.  Despite that, I really dig Siren Song.

The Offspring were Gods until they put out that new bullshit.  Everything but that album, fucking awesome!

I liked the video, and I respect a lot of the doods in it (minus fucking Tom DeLong, that dood needs to fucking choke and die).  I'm really interested in checking this out, as I love me some documentaries and especially when it's about the origin of music.

And the last line in the video:  "you know, people have been calling punk bands sellouts for 25 years"...a-fuckin-men!!!
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gunner
jakob187 said:
"

Rise Against isn't anything super original, but they do bring to the mainstream what guys like Propaghandi couldn't.  Despite that, I really dig Siren Song.

The Offspring were Gods until they put out that new bullshit.  Everything but that album, fucking awesome!

I liked the video, and I respect a lot of the doods in it (minus fucking Tom DeLong, that dood needs to fucking choke and die).  I'm really interested in checking this out, as I love me some documentaries and especially when it's about the origin of music.

And the last line in the video:  "you know, people have been calling punk bands sellouts for 25 years"...a-fuckin-men!!!"
Thats Fat Mike for ya.

Rise Against is more of a mash-up of all of their influences. Yeah they didnt bring anything new to the table but when you add Bad Religion+Black Flag+Classic bass lines not seen in newer punk bands+Tims voice you get something amazing imo.