OpenDNS pros and cons?

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Switching to a higher level cable service, and using wired routers instead of wireless, has done a lot to help my internet speed. But for page to page browsing, I'm wondering what ways I can cut that second of lag from when you click a link to when the page "turns over" so to speak. Back in 2006-08, the initial-paint-delay trick in Firefox worked wonders, and made the web as fast as explorer.exe

But I'll never use FF again, and web sites are so image heavy and embedded content heavy that I don't think the paint delay is the solution anymore.

So three ways I've heard can help boost page speeds. One I won't do, thats "prediction" services, where you let google spy on you and load a bunch of links in advance you probably weren't gonna need. The other two are: setting your browsers cache to not redownload images logos etc every time you visit a site, only when they change; and OpenDNS.

I wanna know what the flaws are with OpenDNS. Could it potentially do things like accidentally send me to the slower Aussie/NZ server for GiantBomb videos instead of east coast US? Or screw with my ability to use things like WatchESPN HBOGo or TimeWarnerTV which are supposed to detect that your on your home network? Does it affect file download speeds in anyway, or only the initial lookup of a website? Can you configure it to always find the fastest route to a website (like telling it to always go to northeast USA giantbomb servers, etc)?