Opera Unite: Will it Change the Web?

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By nixium

I just finished doing a quick look at the Opera browser service called Unite. I have to say I came away pretty impressed with what I say in my time messing around with it. What is Opera Unite though?

What it is:
Opera Unite is a web service built into the Opera browser that COULD replace the following: Facebook, Flickr, any sort of blogging service. How would it do this?

It can replace these things by giving you the option to turn your PC into a media hosting, file sharing, website hosting device in a few clicks.

The Features:

File Sharing: Select a folder you want to share on the internet. Then select the level of privacy and click start service and your files are online and accessible from anywhere if you have your opera browser running.

Fridge: kind of an odd feature I think. Essentially lets you leave sticky notes for users of the computer. I can't see the practical application of this quite yet.

Media Player: Point this at your media files and you will have access to your media from any machine in the world. Again, set the privacy settings and click start service and your files are out there.

Photo Sharing: Same deal as the other services except geared towards photos.

The lounge: IRC but hosted on your machine

Web Server: Host your own web page here. I haven't done extensive testing with this yet. I know it supports HTML but I do not know about CSS or any sort of server side scripting. I would guess that it does support CSS but probably not PHP or ASP.NET or anything like that. Phython and Ruby on Rails are a possiblity.

You can get it here: http://unite.opera.com/

I would like to note I have not had much time with these services just yet. These are all just first impressions which are pretty positive. This may completely turn out to be a dud.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nixium

I just finished doing a quick look at the Opera browser service called Unite. I have to say I came away pretty impressed with what I say in my time messing around with it. What is Opera Unite though?

What it is:
Opera Unite is a web service built into the Opera browser that COULD replace the following: Facebook, Flickr, any sort of blogging service. How would it do this?

It can replace these things by giving you the option to turn your PC into a media hosting, file sharing, website hosting device in a few clicks.

The Features:

File Sharing: Select a folder you want to share on the internet. Then select the level of privacy and click start service and your files are online and accessible from anywhere if you have your opera browser running.

Fridge: kind of an odd feature I think. Essentially lets you leave sticky notes for users of the computer. I can't see the practical application of this quite yet.

Media Player: Point this at your media files and you will have access to your media from any machine in the world. Again, set the privacy settings and click start service and your files are out there.

Photo Sharing: Same deal as the other services except geared towards photos.

The lounge: IRC but hosted on your machine

Web Server: Host your own web page here. I haven't done extensive testing with this yet. I know it supports HTML but I do not know about CSS or any sort of server side scripting. I would guess that it does support CSS but probably not PHP or ASP.NET or anything like that. Phython and Ruby on Rails are a possiblity.

You can get it here: http://unite.opera.com/

I would like to note I have not had much time with these services just yet. These are all just first impressions which are pretty positive. This may completely turn out to be a dud.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By maxszy

But how do the others access the files and so forth? Do they have to have Opera Unite as well?

Plus would you really want all your stuff just out there on the internet?

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

first things first, who uses opera?

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nixium
@Maxszy: You send people a link that they can access through any sort of browser. Also you can select which folders you want to share so you can control what is out there. Also you have the option of putting a password on it or just making it available to your opera account.

@Kitsun_conundrum: You do have a very good point. I believe opera is hoping that this feature will bring people over to Opera which I think has about 2-3% of the browser market.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy
@nixium said:
" @Maxszy: You send people a link that they can access through any sort of browser. Also you can select which folders you want to share so you can control what is out there. Also you have the option of putting a password on it or just making it available to your opera account."
Interesting...well at least there is control put in to place. It does sound rather neat. Hopefully they wont be spying on whatever you are sharing :-P Though I think it will come down to the issue of who actually is going to use Opera like Kitsun pointed out. I used it awhile ago when it first was released, it wasn't too bad. But there were some things I remember that threw me off and thus why I switched back to Firefox. Don't remember those specifics though.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck

It does sound like it could be neat.. and I can see some potential in this.

Unfortunately I don't use Opera, but I could always install the service and not use it as my main browser.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nixium
@Azteck: That is essentially my plan :)