• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

How do you feel about it?

I was filling out my drivers licence and it suddenly asked me if I wanted to become an organ donor. It's probably one of the biggest decisions I've made in my life and I decided to do it in spite of being kinda grossed out and feeling queasy about it, especially after reading a certain Kazuo Ishiguro novel about organ harvesting...

I want to be cremated anyway so I finally resolved that to just burn my organs would be really wasteful. (The only thing I didn't tick was to donate my Cornea's because eww)

#2 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

When I am dead they can take all the organs they want.

#3 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1740 posts) -

First thing I did when I turned 18 was submitting myself as an organ donor. They can legally take whatever, and the don't need anyone elses consent.

#4 Posted by UitDeToekomst (731 posts) -

i don't see how it is a decision at all. if you're dead, you don't need them. someone who is alive might.

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5710 posts) -

I want to give my blood and organs, but I can't. Shame when there are so many people who don't want to with perfectly good organs they can donate.

#6 Posted by SharkEthic (1062 posts) -

I'm just going to leave this here.

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Funzzo said:

When I am dead they can take all the organs they want.

Pretty much. It's not like I need them for anything.

#8 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I'm Donating my body to science.

#9 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

No. They might go to someone I don't like. A smoker or alcoholic or something. I'll keep them, thanks.

#10 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

you should have to carry a card if you 'do not' want to donate your organs.

#11 Edited by phampire (289 posts) -

@CaLe: Don't most people have to wait for organ donations? I think people who don't smoke and aren't alcoholics get organs before those who do to maximise the overall benefit. I'm fine with donating my organs, someone else can put it to better use than me when I'm dead.

#12 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Honestly I don't understand why you need to opt in for organ donation. If you're dead then they can take whatever they want from you. You're not exactly going to need it.

You should have to opt out, not in. And even if you do opt out they still take your shit out on the sly, I mean what are you going to do? Stop them?

#14 Posted by kidman (472 posts) -

@doobie said:

In Poland it works the other way around unfortunately - you need to have a card if you DO want to donate your organs.

As for the question, hell yeah I would.

#15 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

In Poland it works the other way around unfortunately - you need to have a card if you DO want to donate your organs.

same in the UK. no card, no organs.

they have to throw them away when they could save a life.

#16 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

Why not just leave them in the body?

#17 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

That is throwing them away.

#18 Posted by pyromagnestir (4337 posts) -

@SharkEthic said:

I knew I was having a weird dejavu moment when I clicked this thread.

#19 Edited by CaLe (4039 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

It's leaving them where they were.

#20 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

You don't need your organs when you die, they can have them.

#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

This very thread already exists, go post your thoughts there.

#22 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

It's leaving them where the were.

but where they were will be either burnt or buried. so effectively thrown away.

#23 Posted by Shivoa (643 posts) -

Personally: All usable parts to be donated to medicine or science, I always try to carry a card and my name is on the register with my wishes in case I die at home or some other time when I've forgotten to carry (but am identified by time of death).

When I'm dead I am not certain if I will exist in any sense (I doubt it but as no one can know then I guess I'll either find out the opposite or never find out) but I know I will have no further use for the flesh I am no longer inhabiting. It seems crazy we have to opt in to saving the lives of others or advancing medical knowledge (to save more lives, indirectly) rather than opt out but I guess lots of people are squeamish or have wu wu ideas borne of no knowledge that direct their choices and we haven't yet reached the point where that is reversed.

#24 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

@doobie said:

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

Getting burnt/buried was gonna happen anyway. Taking them out and throwing them in a bin seems like it wasn't going to happen unless someone decides to do that. I still dunno if that's even true though.

#25 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

Getting burnt/buried was gonna happen anyway. Taking them out and throwing them in a bin seems like it wasn't going to happen unless someone decides to do that. I still dunno if that's even true though.

When you throw away garbage, it gets burnt or buried. They throw away your body. Don't let them throw away your organs. Recycle. Go green.

#26 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

When you throw away garbage, it gets burnt or buried. They throw away your body. Don't let them throw away your organs. Recycle. Go green.

I don't want them to give my organs to someone I might not like. Maybe I would prefer if they died.

#27 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3821 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

I don't want them to give my organs to someone I might not like. Maybe I would prefer if they died.

That's a very childish view of the world, and a bit sociopathic. Have a good one.

#28 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (128 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

Seven times out of ten, your body and organs go to a collage program where trolling students cut you up and learn they want to change their major. You deprive your loved ones of a physical form to remember you by. Something to visit. A piece of you as a gift, a place, to those you loved. Cremation wipes your being from existence, as if you never were. And if your not going to be or never were... you might as well just end it all now.

Hospitals will effectively sell your organs. They make a killing off you. Most livers, and other vital organs go to drug addicts and over eaters. Lay about wasters, who will misuse it and continue to erode at society. Those organs also go to science labs for new commercial products. Where more students and researchers test on them. Poking and injecting. Slicing pieces off to examine. Like a dead lab rat.

Your full grown organs don't save children and rarely go to needy cancer patients. Signing on that dotted line isn't some noble act. It's a time honored fallacy. A faux. One of the many ways the rich play use the poor.

And if you dream when you die. You'll remain unwhole. Laying in a stunned nightmare for all eternity. Never ending. Half a person. With less of your self, your body, your soul.

"But you know, Bart, some philosophers believe that nobody is born with a soul --
that you have to earn one. Through suffering and thought and prayer, like you did last night."

-Lisa Simpson

Taking your organs doesn't at all mean you have to be cremated. You can still have a funeral procession with casket, burial site and all the fixings of a non-donor.

#29 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@CaLe said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@CaLe said:

@doobie said:

@kidman said:

@doobie said:

That's a very childish view of the world, and a bit sociopathic. Have a good one.

I didn't give any world view, and I dunno which one is good to have.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5350 posts) -

If I can save a life by giving away something I have literally zero use for, I will without question. Honestly they should just take them whether you like it or not. Only an asshole would deny someone a chance at life for no reason.

#31 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (498 posts) -
@pyromagnestir

@SharkEthic said:

I knew I was having a weird dejavu moment when I clicked this thread.

Must be a glitch in the Matrix.
#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@MstrMnyBgs

@SoothsayerGB said:

Seven times out of ten, your body and organs go to a collage program where trolling students cut you up and learn they want to change their major. You deprive your loved ones of a physical form to remember you by. Something to visit. A piece of you as a gift, a place, to those you loved. Cremation wipes your being from existence, as if you never were. And if your not going to be or never were... you might as well just end it all now.

Hospitals will effectively sell your organs. They make a killing off you. Most livers, and other vital organs go to drug addicts and over eaters. Lay about wasters, who will misuse it and continue to erode at society. Those organs also go to science labs for new commercial products. Where more students and researchers test on them. Poking and injecting. Slicing pieces off to examine. Like a dead lab rat.

Your full grown organs don't save children and rarely go to needy cancer patients. Signing on that dotted line isn't some noble act. It's a time honored fallacy. A faux. One of the many ways the rich play use the poor.

And if you dream when you die. You'll remain unwhole. Laying in a stunned nightmare for all eternity. Never ending. Half a person. With less of your self, your body, your soul.

"But you know, Bart, some philosophers believe that nobody is born with a soul --
that you have to earn one.Through suffering and thought and prayer, like you did last night."

-Lisa Simpson

Taking your organs doesn't at all mean you have to be cremated. You can still have a funeral procession with casket, burial site and all the fixings of a non-donor.

There's no way he isn't trolling because, man, what a stupid argument against organ donation.
#33 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

There is no reason not to donate them, except, you know, conspiracies by the man or aliens or some shit apparently

#34 Posted by LikeaSsur (1583 posts) -

No, I won't donate my organs, because my friend made a strong case that choosing to donate your organs means that if you're ever hospitalized or in critical condition, some hospitals/doctors will "do all they can" just to see you expire so they can take whatever they can. Apparently, most organs they can't use after death, so they have to take it while you're still alive.

I don't know if any of that is true, but she seemed pretty convinced that her uncle died because of this, so no thanks.

#35 Posted by Fattony12000 (7594 posts) -

Just don't get up to any silly bollocks with my silly bollocks, okay, doctors? Other than that, give my gibs to those that need them.

NO SILLY BOLLOCKS THOUGH PLEASE, I cannot stress this strongly enough. Don't go putting make-up on me and dressing me up like a schoolgirl just so you can fuck my cold clammy asshole whilst filming it to then put up on efukt.

PLEASE.

#36 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

I think it should be an opt out thing. Only reason I'm not a donar is cause i can't be arsed to go and sign up. Make it an opt out and you can bet your ass you'll see the amount of people donating shoot up.

#37 Posted by Shivoa (643 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

No, I won't donate my organs, because my friend made a strong case that choosing to donate your organs means that if you're ever hospitalized or in critical condition, some hospitals/doctors will "do all they can" just to see you expire so they can take whatever they can. Apparently, most organs they can't use after death, so they have to take it while you're still alive.

I don't know if any of that is true, but she seemed pretty convinced that her uncle died because of this, so no thanks.

They are mentally unstable, or you live in a country with very low ethical standards for the people who spend all their days saving lives. Either way, I'm sorry for you but if you ever come to the developed world then maybe think about carrying a donor card and registering so if you die we can save a life (or several) or educate the next generation in how to operate and save lives. It's all for a good cause and you don't need them.

#38 Posted by NathHaw (2799 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

You should probably read this: http://www.snopes.com/medical/emergent/donor.asp Tell your friend about it too, and remember to donate your organs.

#39 Edited by LikeaSsur (1583 posts) -

@Shivoa: I live in America, so....yeah. Also, I don't think telling someone that their friend is mentally unstable is the best way to convince them of anything.

@nrh79: Thanks for the interesting read. I'll be sure to pass this along to my friend, maybe it'll ease her pain.

#40 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

If I'm dea whatever, but I don't think I'd give anybody I don't know my organs if I'm alive.

#41 Posted by zombie2011 (5035 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

Seven times out of ten, your body and organs go to a collage program where trolling students cut you up and learn they want to change their major.

What? This might have been the dumbest thing i've read.

By the time you deal with human cadavers you're in med school which requires 4 years of pre-med and you have to sit for your M-CAT. No one does all that because they think it would be cool to cut into a human liver.

#42 Posted by Spoonman671 (4751 posts) -

Yeah, I'll be done with them.  Have at'em.

#43 Posted by psylah (2183 posts) -

I've got an organ I'd donate to you, gurl

#44 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

@Dany said:

;not medical, but physics.

#45 Posted by TobbRobb (4818 posts) -

I won't need them, give em away, I don't care.

#46 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Sure I'm an organ donor, what the hell do I need 'em for after I'm dead. If they can help someone then all the better.

#47 Posted by MikkaQ (10334 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Dany said:

Yeah I'd only donate my body if it gets used by CERN somehow. What happens if a cadaver falls into the LHC? I'll let them find out for the small fee of shipping my body to Europe.

#48 Edited by Mikemcn (7009 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

@SoothsayerGB said:

Seven times out of ten, your body and organs go to a collage program where trolling students cut you up and learn they want to change their major.

What? This might have been the dumbest thing i've read.

By the time you deal with human cadavers you're in med school which requires 4 years of pre-med and you have to sit for your M-CAT. No one does all that because they think it would be cool to cut into a human liver.

Yep. I have a brother in med school, applying was an exhausting and expensive process, he'll be repaying loans for school until he's 50, and they're very strict about how the cadavers are treated. You don't get to the point of cutting someone open without being fully committed.

@MikkaQ said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Dany said:

Yeah I'd only donate my body if it gets used by CERN somehow. What happens if a cadaver falls into the LHC? I'll let them find out for the small fee of shipping my body to Europe.

I wouldn't mind them testing spaghettification with my body. I imagine falling into the LHC would just give you the worst Sunburn you've ever had where some random particle slammed into you and most likely kill you.

#49 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

If anything inside me(or outside i guess) still looks decent when im dead they can have them, I hope it makes someones life a little easier.

#50 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB said:

Your full grown organs don't save children and rarely go to needy cancer patients. Signing on that dotted line isn't some noble act. It's a time honored fallacy. A faux. One of the many ways the rich use the poor.

that you have to earn one. Through suffering and thought and prayer, like you did last night."

-Lisa Simpson

The stupidest, most misinformed thing I've read today. Just say how you really feel: "Not being buried sounds icky to me even though my remains will eventually become dust like everyone else". Don't make elaborate excuses and cheat people out of an opportunity to use your organs for good.