Orphan Black

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Well, I don't start a lot of topics, but I have a real obsession here. It's a show called Orphan Black and it's the most fun show I've seen in a long, long time. If you haven't heard of it, that's because it's from Canada and airs in the U.S. on BBC America for some reason. It's about a woman discovering she's part of a series of clones, all played by the crazy-talented Tatiana "what-the-hell-how-does-she-do-that" Maslany.

No Caption Provided

Yes, ridiculous, but not a gimmick! Each clone has her own personality, look, accent, motivations, body language, you name it. So much so that you sometimes forget it's all the same actress. There are other characters of course, but nearly all the best ones are played by Tatiana Maslany. You will come for the unique premise, stay for the insane acting hoops this actress is made to jump through (clones impersonating other clones), and before long, you'll realize it's a pretty damn cool show in its own right.

If you're unsure, I'd recommend at least checking out the opening scene. It's something else.

The first season is free on Amazon Prime and most cable providers have the show on demand.

And for those of you already on board, feel free to post your thoughts on the latest episodes, personal clone rankings, dope GIFs or whatever, or general musings. I'm always down to talk about this show.

Oh, and I cut a video of Helena eating a muffin.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Despite taking a while to get going, I really enjoyed the first season but the second season has been a little disappointing so far. I'm hoping that, like the first, it'll pick up steam near the end. That said, Tatiana Maslany continues to be a fucking revelation. It's criminal that she probably won't even be considered for an Emmy.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Orphan Black owns bones, but I haven't watched the latest episode yet.

Also I watched Nikita and Ari Tasirov being an evil christian scientist is fucking me up

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite taking a while to get going, I really enjoyed the first season but the second season has been a little disappointing so far. I'm hoping that, like the first, it'll pick up steam near the end. That said, Tatiana Maslany continues to be a fucking revelation. It's criminal that she probably won't even be considered for an Emmy.

That's interesting. I'd say the second episode was so-so, the third one was decent, but I thought the other three were a step above even the best episodes of season 1. The last episode in particular blew me away, though part of that may be the fact that I did always want Sarah and Helena to be buddies. (I teared up a little, I admit.)

I'm hoping word of mouth is strong enough that she can make a real go at that Emmy.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

Oh, you should jump on that. I thought it was the best yet.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@spunkyhepanda: I haven't seen the latest episode yet, so that's encouraging. Now that I think of it, the bathroom scene at the end of the previous episode was incredible, so this season does seem to be getting better as it chugs along.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@animasta said:

I watched it just now and you are so right.

I appreciate how they're characterizing Leakie and Rachel now.

(plus Helena obviously but still)

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:
@spunkyhepanda said:
@animasta said:

I watched it just now and you are so right.

I appreciate how they're characterizing Leakie and Rachel now.

(plus Helena obviously but still)

I was a bit unimpressed with Rachel when she first showed up, but she's quickly rising up the ranks for me. That sex scene was a great character moment. Never thought I'd say that.

I suspect Leekie's gonna regret going against her. I'm looking forward to a more menacing Rachel. She's never really felt like a huge threat, especially since Sarah beat the hell out of her.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By joshwent

@conmulligan said:

It's criminal that she probably won't even be considered for an Emmy.

Especially considering that she should probably get 6 (one for each "actress", of course).

I'm pretty (some say overly) critical of TV shows, especially these type of suspense-thrillers that just seem to go on auto-pilot these days, shoving in trope after trope and projecting their wrote "twists" so far in advance that they clearly think their audiences are 98% idiots, but Orphan Black is a fucking masterpiece. Every time it veers into potential cliché, they subvert it. Every character is three dimensional, and no one has (yet) become a cartoon version of themselves.

(okay, maybe the ol' super religious crazy people trope is still in effect (and that sewing up a mouth thing was really dumb), but I feel like they're taking it somewhere a little new, at least.)

And fuckin' Tatiana frickin' Maslany! Not since Nick Cage as the Kaufman brothers in Adaptation has an actor created such unique individual characters themselves. For example, a friend of my GF's said that after the latest episode she went to IMDB to see who played Helena. Of course, she new it was Tatiana playing them all, but each clone c-word is so distinguishable, it's easy to forget that it's all trick photography and see them as completely different people.

Also, the music is really good.

And now, speculation!

Paul is definitely gonna come down on Sarah's side in the end, no matter what.

Keira has some kind of special senses. Maybe (hopefully) not supernatural or anything like that, just maybe enhanced human abilities that may have been the reason the clones were created in the first place.

And the big one... The Project LEDA guy is somehow reverse aging, and is actually now the bumbling college dude that Cosima has helping her with research!

Whadda you folks think?!?

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

And the big one... The Project LEDA guy is somehow reverse aging, and is actually now the bumbling college dude that Cosima has helping her with research!

Whadda you folks think?!?

Hahaha, wow. Wow wow wow. I can't deny the resemblance, but I do hope they don't go that far with the sci-fi. Human tails are one thing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I haven't watched any of the most recent season, but I found the first season to be very solid - not great, but pretty darn watchable.

I personally put Orphan Black on the same tier as things like Continuum and Arrow - shows that by all regards should be throwaway but manage to find a way to be engaging.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Been watching the new season and so far so good. I like all the different personalities she plays. The supporting cast is good as well.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I haven't watched any of the most recent season, but I found the first season to be very solid - not great, but pretty darn watchable.

I personally put Orphan Black on the same tier as things like Continuum and Arrow - shows that by all regards should be throwaway but manage to find a way to be engaging.

I'd say that's about where I was at by the end of season 1. I thought it was a show with a lot of amazing stuff (Alison's downward spiral being a personal favorite) that was hurt by some pretty cheesy stuff (evil science dance clubs!) Rewatching to catch up for season 2 gave me a new appreciation for the show. The cheesy stuff became more fun than cheesy, and though the show seemed a bit aimless in spots at first, everything just started to click more. Season 2 has also managed to do a lot with the season-ending twists that I didn't really care for at the time. New clone Rachel in particular is excellent.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Helena is the best, that road trip was the best, and the twins are the cutest thing in the whole world.

So ready for Rachel vs. Leekie.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

...there's a BBC America? Fuck, either way I need to start watching this

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone still watching this? Thoughts on season 2? Will spoilerblock my opinions, just in case.

As much as I love this show, season 2 started good but had some trouble keeping it together, I think. Maybe they were just juggling too many balls, but it felt like we spent waaaay too much time watching people run in circles and argue about Kira the Babyfaced Mcguffin, and not enough time developing the actual characters. As much fun as it was watching them lean real hard into the black comedy aspect of Alison's life (that stuff gets so dark), it felt like they did fuck-all with Cosima, despite her being one of the most interesting of the clones. Sticking her with the boring audience-surrogate nerd guy didn't help either. Cal started out ok but then just ended up being 'super convenient, super hot boyfriend who helps tie up plot threads.' Which applies to Paul, too - just standing around being good looking and not actually doing much of anything.

Helena continues to have the most bat-shit crazy plot lines, which was fun, but it also felt like the flipped real hard around on doing the character-redemption stuff despite her still, oh I dunno, being about a week away from killing other clones and her birth mother. They explained Sara's attitude well, but it still felt a little too quick to be fully earned.

I could go on, but overall I think the show might be starting to run into LOST syndrome, where they're too busy building up the mythology and are getting away from what the show originally was, which was just a fun sci-fi thriller. Which isn't a bad thing in itself, but I'm worried they won't be able to handle it going forward, based on how limp the overall story ended up being this season. Or at least stop tossing Kira around, because jeez. Nobody cares about dumb special kids.

Also: Project Castor is full on Metal Gear Solid's l'enfant terrible, Solid Snake style soldier cloning business, right? Rachel losing an eye - and thus likely getting a badass eyepatch - feels like just another nod to MGS. (which is the second really big grab from another story this season, as the whole sequence with the safe-house where Sara and Kira meet Mrs. S's people is blatantly pulled from Children of Men).

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what I'm hard up for a new show to watch, i think i might give this a go later this week. If i remember i'll pop back in and give some thoughts! Sounds interesting.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By sparklykiss

Man, I keep forgetting to get caught up with this show and am about halfway through season 2. My heart belongs to Cosima and I cannot stand seeing anything bad happen to her, it's part of the reason why I've slowed down my watching to be honest.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never saw this show until Monday. Say what you will about Comcast, but they had both seasons in full to watch on Demand. I loved every minute of it. I can't believe the way Tatiana Maslany could become all the different characters. The story could be a little better at spots, but I found myself on my toes and also thoroughly enjoying the more goofy parts.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I keep forgetting to get caught up with this show and am about halfway through season 2. My heart belongs to Cosima and I cannot stand seeing anything bad happen to her, it's part of the reason why I've slowed down my watching to be honest.

Cosima is totes the best.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Orphan Black, but I have yet to watch the new season. I guess I keep forgetting that it's going on.

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been hearing a lot of great things about this show. I may as well try to catch it. Any idea if it's on Netflix?

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tirion

Loved the first season atleast, but haven't watch the second season yet.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Like some others here, it seems, I watched the first season and didn't follow along with the second. Mostly because there aren't a lot of good shows airing in the summer, and I figured Orphan Black would be a good show to leave on the back burner till all the other shows had wrapped up. I'm watching it now, half way done. Still pretty fun.

@bremaine said:

I've been hearing a lot of great things about this show. I may as well try to catch it. Any idea if it's on Netflix?

Huh, it's not. That's a shame. It's a fun show, if you don't mind some convoluted sci-fi nonsense. Because the show has a lot of that. Also some religious philosophical nonsense. All sorts of nonsense, really. But nonsense in a fun sort of way, generally speaking.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@bremaine: It's on Amazon Prime, at least.

Just finished Fargo, which is one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen. Time to hit Orphan Black, I suppose.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Orphan Black a whole lot. It's a bit too twisty for it's own good, but it's still very likeable.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By YoThatLimp

I really dug the premise, but man some of the cheesy sci fi stuff is too much sometimes. Not sure I'll watch the second season.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Hooray, my thread is reborn!

I was saying for most of season 2 that I thought it was better than the first, but it stumbled a bit at the end, so now I'm not so sure.

The Tony episode was a real speed bump, which is too bad because a new clone should be a great thing. I remember reading an interview with one of the creators saying they didn't want the introduction of a trans clone to feel like just a stunt, but that's pretty much how it felt. Not because he was trans, but because he was shoved into the story so awkwardly and it kind of killed any momentum the plot had going at that point. And then he just took off. What? That said, I did like Tony, so hopefully they can find a more natural way to fit him into the plot in season 3. Also, Cosima's scenes in this episode were pretty dopey.

I thought the finale was a bit weak too. The first half felt super rushed. That scene in the hangar when suddenly like a hundred new alliances were revealed was pretty silly. I enjoyed Cosima's whole breakout plan, even if I had to really suspend my disbelief that it would work. But then it was all pointless because Bowles was about to get Sarah out anyway? Real anti-climax there. I do think this was probably Cosima's best episode though, some real great character moments. Everything in Felix's apartment was pretty amazing. Glad Helena got to meet everybody. The dance scene was incredible, of course. But in the end, there was barely any resolution. Cosima's still sick. Rachel's presumably still alive and probably pissed off. Helena is... I have no idea what's going with Helena actually. What was with the liquid nitrogen tank? Where was she going? Where was the military taking her? I guess Alison's the only one who I think had a complete story arc this season.

Not sure about the male clone thing yet, guess we'll have to wait and see. I am worried about the show getting too twisty and sci-fi. The characters are really the strongest part of the show, and the plot has been mostly good but a bit uneven in spots. But you know, the fact that they took such a large chunk of the finale to have the clones just hanging out and talking and dancing makes me believe they know what they're doing. Definitely excited to see what's next.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@spunkyhepanda: Yes, I love this too. I like Grimm as well in terms of digestible, high concept shows (I've just finished season 2).

It's amazing to see how expansive the set locations are in BBC America programmes compared to the UK produced ones. There was a pit in a forest that was used in Sherlock, Fades, Luther, Merlin & 2 or 5 "police corruption" themed programmes.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda:

The anti-climax of the breakout seemed to be kind of a reflection of where the show ended up: there's so much scheming going on that basically no one's plans are really worth anything at this point. Whether that was deliberate or not, I dunno. For all the stuff that happened, you're right, they really didn't get anywhere with a lot of the main threads.

Also agree with you on the Tony thing. Poorly handled and it's not really clear why it happened at all, so it did feel like a 'very special episode' kind of a thing, which is a shame. Like, it'd be pretty stupid if Tony was a one-and-done character, but on the other hand, I'm not really sure I want to see him again if they can't use him effectively. Or at least find a way to make the beard not look super fake.

Also, I think the nitrogen tank was supposed to be the rest of Helena's eggs, Jurassic Park style.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda:

Also, I think the nitrogen tank was supposed to be the rest of Helena's eggs, Jurassic Park style.

You think so? That just raises more questions. Why would she need those? Why would she leave them at the apartment? Why can't the writers just let Helena be happy with her sestras for a while??

Sorry, Helena just makes me a little emotional sometimes.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pyromagnestir

I didn't intend to watch all the final 4 or 5 episodes today, but that ended up happening.

One thing that bugged me throughout my watching of season 2 that had nothing to do with season 2 itself, I forget where this show is supposed to be set. Are they in the US? Canada? Where the fuck are these people?

As for the season itself, the convolutedness factor continued to rise. Maybe close to full on off the rails levels. Still enjoyable though. Especially whenever Helena is around. I don't remember if I liked her in season 1 or not, but she was the best part of season 2. More Helena, please.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: I seem to recall reading an article that said it's supposed to be some kind of non-specific location. Like Mega City in the Matrix. I could be making that up, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_monocle:

Seems like that could be true. They don't really ever bring up any big cities or name states or countries. I think they once said Cosima was going to college in Michigan, and that's the only actual place that's been name dropped as far as I can recall.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I didn't intend to watch all the final 4 or 5 episodes today, but that ended up happening.

One thing that bugged me throughout my watching of season 2 that had nothing to do with season 2 itself, I forget where this show is supposed to be set. Are they in the US? Canada? Where the fuck are these people?

As for the season itself, the convolutedness factor continued to rise. Maybe close to full on off the rails. Still enjoyable though. Especially whenever Helena is around. I don't remember if I liked her in season 1 or not, but she was the best part of season 2. More Helena, please.

The setting is kept intentionally vague. I guess they thought Americans wouldn't respond to a show set in Canada? I dunno, it's a strange choice.

Yeah, I think the show threatens to spin out of control every once in a while. I'm choosing to put my faith in the writers with this male clone thing. The show's still completely unpredictable, that's for sure.

Helena's my favorite.

No Caption Provided

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: They're definitely in Canada, but not a specified city. Which makes Paul's military group a little confusing, because he's totes an American, I think.

@markwahlberg said:

@spunkyhepanda:

You think so? That just raises more questions. Why would she need those? Why would she leave them at the apartment? Why can't the writers just let Helena be happy with her sestras for a while??

I mean, she was very excited by the idea of having kids, and is super protective of her eggs/ children in general, so I doubt she would leave them in the barn when she burnt it down. I get the impression that, especially after the super-hugsy party at Felix's, she figured that the eggs would be in good hands with her seestras. If she was leaving them, it was probably just because girl needs some 'me' time after all the craziness, maybe go find her new boyfriend and spend like a week decompressing with crazy sex or whatever.

The pessimist in me just thinks that now that they've made Helena sympathetic, they're going to kill her again, and it's going to be so much worse. Ugh.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: They're definitely in Canada, but not a specified city. Which makes Paul's military group a little confusing, because he's totes an American, I think.

@spunkyhepanda said:
@markwahlberg said:

@spunkyhepanda:

I mean, she was very excited by the idea of having kids, and is super protective of her eggs/ children in general, so I doubt she would leave them in the barn when she burnt it down. I get the impression that, especially after the super-hugsy party at Felix's, she figured that the eggs would be in good hands with her seestras. If she was leaving them, it was probably just because girl needs some 'me' time after all the craziness, maybe go find her new boyfriend and spend like a week decompressing with crazy sex or whatever.

The pessimist in me just thinks that now that they've made Helena sympathetic, they're going to kill her again, and it's going to be so much worse. Ugh.

Oh, I know she wants kids, but like, isn't she pregnant now? And even if she isn't, she can make more eggs. You know, with her body. Though yeah, I guess Helena would be ignorant about that stuff. Maybe it's sperm? Like she doesn't trust that a guy will ever like her enough to have babies with her? Okay, now I'm just inventing new ways for Helena to break my heart.

If Helena doesn't eventually get her happy ending, I won't be able to deal.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda:

...Well, actually, I'm pretty sure women are born with all of their eggs, they don't make more. But I don't think the Proletheans removed all of them? So either she realizes the eggs are special, or still thinks of them as being hers even though they've been removed. I dunno. Helena just does what Helena's gonna do.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spunkyhepanda:

...Well, actually, I'm pretty sure women are born with all of their eggs, they don't make more. But I don't think the Proletheans removed all of them? So either she realizes the eggs are special, or still thinks of them as being hers even though they've been removed. I dunno. Helena just does what Helena's gonna do.

Haha, well, clearly I shouldn't have jumped into a conversation about eggs based on my high school anatomy class knowledge from over ten years ago.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Helena's my favorite.

No Caption Provided

I rewound to watch this part at least twice when I first watched this scene.

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Thanks for letting me know. Sadly I can't afford to get Amazon prime. :( Hopefully they release it on Netflix one of these days.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bremaine said:

@csl316: Thanks for letting me know. Sadly I can't afford to get Amazon prime. :( Hopefully they release it on Netflix one of these days.

It seems like most cable providers have it on demand, so if you have cable, look into it!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Sooo I was thinking about that Metal Gear comparison I made earlier, which gave me an idea, and then I went on another video editing bender and this happened. (mild spoilers, I suppose, although I tried to avoid anything overt).

Loading Video...

I feel like Felix's line at the end is a pretty good description of the show, to be honest.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooo I was thinking about that Metal Gear comparison I made earlier, which gave me an idea, and then I went on another video editing bender and this happened. (mild spoilers, I suppose, although I tried to avoid anything overt).

Loading Video...

I feel like Felix's line at the end is a pretty good description of the show, to be honest.

Great work! Spring 2015 feels so far away.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers