#1 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

What do you guys do during the Catholic/Protestant Christmas? My parents actually let me get my presents before Janurary 7th but I'm really not in the Christmas mood until the first days of Janurary. Do you think we should change Christmas to the 25th like the Greeks Orthodox Christians?  

#2 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Um, what? 
 
Repete, s'il vous plais?

#3 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

 My question is what do fellow Orthodox Christians do today because we celebrate Christmas Janurary 7th, the reason isn't complicated but I don't feel like explaining it. Use wikipedia or something.

#4 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

The Greek Orthodox sold out maaaaaaaan! Now look what's happening to the Greeks. That's what you get when you get into bed with those filthy, barbaric westerners.

#5 Posted by ZagZagovich (763 posts) -

Russian here. Nothing. It's all about the new year here. Also it's the same as Christmas.

#6 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -
@FourWude said:
"

The Greek Orthodox sold out maaaaaaaan! Now look what's happening to the Greeks. That's what you get when you get into bed with those filthy, barbaric westerners.

"
haha
#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki said:
"  My question is what do fellow Orthodox Christians do today because we celebrate Christmas Janurary 7th, the reason isn't complicated but I don't feel like explaining it. Use wikipedia or something. "
What are you talking about? Christmas has always been on the 25th, but New Year is when the real party starts...
#8 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -
@Enigma777: You are not very smart.
#9 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" @Enigma777: You are not very smart. "
Don't be a dick, no Christmas has not always been on the 25th but it has since the 4th century which is quite a long time.
#10 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @LuffyUzumaki said:
"  My question is what do fellow Orthodox Christians do today because we celebrate Christmas Janurary 7th, the reason isn't complicated but I don't feel like explaining it. Use wikipedia or something. "
What are you talking about? Christmas has always been on the 25th, but New Year is when the real party starts... "
idiot
#11 Posted by Darksnughero (106 posts) -

I don't know much about Orthodox.  Didn't know you guys celebrated Christmas and new years differently.  Are you familiar with the more popular American Christmas traditions? The tree, presents, caroling, eggnog and what not.   What else is different?   
 
I can't answer your question.  But you bring a interesting topic to the forums either way.  Yellow head.

#12 Posted by astrotriforce (1326 posts) -
@Darksnughero said:
" I don't know much about Orthodox.  Didn't know you guys celebrated Christmas and new years differently.  Are you familiar with the more popular American Christmas traditions? The tree, presents, caroling, eggnog and what not.   What else is different?     I can't answer your question.  But you bring a interesting topic to the forums either way.  Yellow head. "
I second this guy! I'm interested to know. Please inform us. :)
#13 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -
@Darksnughero said:
" I don't know much about Orthodox.  Didn't know you guys celebrated Christmas and new years differently.  Are you familiar with the more popular American Christmas traditions? The tree, presents, caroling, eggnog and what not.   What else is different?     I can't answer your question.  But you bring a interesting topic to the forums either way.  Yellow head. "
Umm lets see instead of saying Merry Christmas we say "Christ is born( risen )" then the other person goes "He truly has". We do have Christmas trees but we don't go caroling. A lot of the customs vary from household but most people go to Church the entire Christmas Eve day. I recommend  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Eve#Eastern_Churches.
#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @LuffyUzumaki said:
"  My question is what do fellow Orthodox Christians do today because we celebrate Christmas Janurary 7th, the reason isn't complicated but I don't feel like explaining it. Use wikipedia or something. "
What are you talking about? Christmas has always been on the 25th, but New Year is when the real party starts... "
Look again, he's talking about Orthodox Christians. As he said check Wikipedia.
Moderator
#15 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" @LuffyUzumaki said:
"  My question is what do fellow Orthodox Christians do today because we celebrate Christmas Janurary 7th, the reason isn't complicated but I don't feel like explaining it. Use wikipedia or something. "
What are you talking about? Christmas has always been on the 25th, but New Year is when the real party starts... "
Look again, he's talking about Orthodox Christians. As he said check Wikipedia. "
Yes I saw that but I've lived among orthodox christians in Europe for 12 years and I've never even heard of anyone celebrating it on the 7th... ever. They went to church on the 25th at midnight and went around the building once while holding candles. If your candle didn't extinguish during that time, you would have good luck for the rest of the year.
#16 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @Gamer_152 said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" @LuffyUzumaki said:
"  My question is what do fellow Orthodox Christians do today because we celebrate Christmas Janurary 7th, the reason isn't complicated but I don't feel like explaining it. Use wikipedia or something. "
What are you talking about? Christmas has always been on the 25th, but New Year is when the real party starts... "
Look again, he's talking about Orthodox Christians. As he said check Wikipedia. "
Yes I saw that but I've lived among orthodox christians in Europe for 12 years and I've never even heard of anyone celebrating it on the 7th... ever. They went to church on the 25th at midnight and went around the building once while holding candles. If your candle didn't extinguish during that time, you would have good luck for the rest of the year. "
really what country? that's not possible they should be celebrating on the 7th unless they're Greek. 
#17 Edited by melcene (3056 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki: While I'm Catholic, not Orthodox, I can kinda understand.  Though I don't fully understand why Orthodox doesn't use the Roman calendar to calculate Christmas.    
 
Also, to answer your question, usually on Dec. 24th, we might open up one present each at our house, saving the rest for the morning of December 25th.  We don't do a big Christmas dinner though.  Christmas is all about that morning, and then hanging out with friends that evening.
 
During some years, some of my extended family decides to celebrate on January 6th (for Three Kings Day) instead of December 25th.  They say they're doing that this year because they couldn't afford to do Christmas on Christmas.  And because they think that the day should really represent something important.  Yeaaaah.  Because the magi bringing the babe gifts was somehow more important than the babe being born.  Meh whatever.
#18 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -
@LuffyUzumaki: Bulgaria
#19 Posted by Vinny_Says (5704 posts) -

Gregorian calendar FTW guys!!! 
 
Yeah my moms is the only Russian religious person I know, and she still does the Western Christmas thing. New years is what the eastern bloc is all about! Sometimes we will have a random Dinner party on the 7th. And I'm not in the Christmas mood ever until the 24th because I'm at work.

#20 Posted by Agent_Eli (138 posts) -

My family has a similar tradition. Though most mexican's are Roman Catholic and do acknowlege Christmas as December 25th, it's not uncommon for the actual gift giving to happen until December 6th, the day the three wise men came and gave gifts to Jesus according to tradition. 
It's how I got the first movie i ever owned: Willow.

 

  

#21 Posted by sanchopanza (247 posts) -
@ZagZagovich said:
" Russian here. Nothing. It's all about the new year here. Also it's the same as Christmas. "
Yep, New years is always the big celebration (presents, tree etc.). On our Christmas usually just have a quiet meal with close family and friends. Dont do anything on wester xmas, maybe visit someone who celebrates it for a meal or something (Catholics, for example Russian families with Polish roots).
#22 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @LuffyUzumaki: Bulgaria "
yeah i think they switched also.