#1 Edited by Jumanji (447 posts) -

"10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later, we managed to kill one person. Worth it?"

Mod's Note by PsEG: In case you were living under a rock like me and missed all the initial hubbub about this, here's a few news links about this extraordinary story that will hopefully work: BBC and CNN. Hope you don't mind this, Jumanji!

Mod's Note by Sweep: If we are going to be redirecting duplicate threads here we should probably have some more information in the OP, so here is a quote from the Guardian:

Osama bin Laden, mastermind of the 11 September 2001 attacks and the world's most wanted man, has been killed in a US operation in north-western Pakistan, Barack Obama has announced.

"Justice has been done," the US president said in a statement that America has been waiting a decade to hear. A US official said Bin Laden had already been buried at sea.

US special forces launched a helicopter-borne assault on a closely guarded compound in Abbottabad, 30 miles north-east of Islamabad, on Sunday night, Obama and US officials said.

Bin Laden resisted the attackers and was killed along with three other men in a firefight. The operation lasted 40 minutes. The dead included Bin Laden's most trusted courier, who carried his messages to the outside world, and one of Bin Laden's sons, according to reports.

A woman also died, according to some reports. It is not clear whether she was one of Bin Laden's four wives.

US forces "took custody" of Bin Laden's body, Obama said in a televised statement from the White House. A US official said Bin Laden had been buried at sea, the AP news agency reported. Senior administration officials said the body would be handled according to Islamic practice and tradition. That practice calls for burial within 24 hours.

Full article here.
#2 Edited by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Im glad that he cant hurt anymore people...but uhhh...yeah...nothing is going to change.

Thats the worst part of this story, so many lives..for what?
#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

If Osama is dead, what happens to the war on terror...was it in vain?

#4 Posted by SMTDante89 (2581 posts) -

Gee, it sure would be nice if you gave us legitimate sources for this so called "confirmation"

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

It's legit.

President is going to do a speech soon.  It's all over the wire.
#6 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

cnn.com

Obama to speak soon msnbc reporting its about osama bin ladin

fox news needs to spell check before putting stuff up, heh

#7 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

Confirmed? Where's this confirmation?

#8 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

Finally

#9 Posted by Lelcar (618 posts) -

Everyone tune into CNN to hear Obama's statement about this. Twitter is aflame with commotion on this topic. My twitter is getting flooded. Here's a livestream of the speech. Or, again, just turn on CNN.

#10 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It's all over Twitter and I'm watching it on MSNBC right now. Shit is legit, turn on your television or go here:
 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42852646#42852646

#11 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Well, can't say I'm surprised. 

#12 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

THE WAR ON TERROR IS OVER EVERYONE!

AMERICA DID IT!  TAKE THAT WORLD!  WE STOPPED TERRORISM!

The flag of the United States of America
#13 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

He's probably been dead for ages. But then telling you that wouldn't have been beneficial for their policies. 

#14 Posted by Turambar (6785 posts) -

Well this is something...

#15 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@FourWude said:
" He's probably been dead for ages. But then telling you that wouldn't have been beneficial for their policies.  "
They're saying he was killed in a military action today by US personnel and that they have the body for confirmation.
#16 Posted by lordbazuco (378 posts) -

well now cod is gonna need to go in a new direction. now that we beat terrorism. lol

#17 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" THE WAR ON TERROR IS OVER EVERYONE!

AMERICA DID IT!  TAKE THAT WORLD!  WE STOPPED TERRORISM!

The flag of the United States of America
"
For some reason i feel like the "war" on terror is just getting started. And so is the war upon my personal freedoms....im looking at you patriot act.
#18 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
#19 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -
#20 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -
@Dany said:
" cnn.com

"
Wow, 3 typos in one headline, not bad. 
#21 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Pibo47 said:
"And so is the war upon my personal freedoms....im looking at you patriot act. "
Obama killed the patriot act earlier this year...
#22 Posted by Max_Cherry (1133 posts) -

We finally killed the fucking bastard.

#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11039 posts) -

All the stuff is on TV too (CNN and MSNBC anyway). 

#24 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Do you guys really think that just because Osama is dead terrorism is gone now too?

#25 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

#26 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

Good riddance.
#27 Posted by EuanDewar (4942 posts) -

GAME OVER

#28 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" Do you guys really think that just because Osama is dead terrorism is gone now too? "

I'm sorry what?  President Bush said terror will continue until Osama is dead...well he's finally dead.
#29 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -
@Surkov said:
" @Dany said:
" cnn.com

"
Wow, 3 typos in one headline, not bad.  "
It shows how fast they wanted to beat everyone to the punch. "Shouldn't we spell check it?" "Hell no Johnson. Run it now."
#30 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" @FourWude said:
" He's probably been dead for ages. But then telling you that wouldn't have been beneficial for their policies.  "
They're saying he was killed in a military action today by US personnel and that they have the body for confirmation. "

They also tell you that every new Osama video that gets released is legit. And then 6 months later confirm that they're not credible and possibly hoaxes.

I'm waiting for hard evidence to be produced.

#31 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

Sweet, nice find.

#32 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5831 posts) -

Oh damn, I missed this thread :(

#33 Edited by N7 (3590 posts) -

Fuck yeah.

Great job everyone. Nice going. We really got our shit together and laid the smackdown on this jabroni.

Really, just phenomenal work.

#34 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Pibo47 said:
"And so is the war upon my personal freedoms....im looking at you patriot act. "
Obama killed the patriot act earlier this year... "
No he didn't. Don't fucking lie.
#35 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

So Obama's going to present the severed head atop a ziggarat like Conan the Barbarian, right? Cus he should do that.

#36 Posted by ganjaman (107 posts) -

Wow

#37 Posted by Damodar (1393 posts) -
@Dany said:
" cnn.com

"
Huh... I was just about to point out that Usama is actually an acceptable spelling of his name. But then I saw the rest. I guess they wanted to break the news in a hurry! DON'T STOP FOR NOTHING!!1
#38 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Took long enough, but still, good news.

The downside is that The Amazing Race is being interrupted...

#39 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" Do you guys really think that just because Osama is dead terrorism is gone now too? "
I doubt anyone thinks that. But he was a force and the face from the beginning of what this war would be against. Him as the face of the evil in the war has dissipated cleary but this is still an event
#40 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -
@Dany said:
" cnn.com

"
That's actually how you spell it, heh.
#41 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@FourWude said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Pibo47 said:
Obama killed the patriot act earlier this year... "
No he didn't. Don't fucking lie. "
You sure?  I heard an article months ago saying it was going to die at the end of 2011.
#42 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

And the best part is that when he dies he's just going to rot in the ground. No 72 virgins, no fucking prophet, no nothing. Just black. Fuck Bin Laden, and fuck all those camel-fucking delusional bastards that follow him.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" If Osama is dead, what happens to the war on terror...was it in vain? "
And the light...
#44 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@MisterChief said:
" @Dany said:
" cnn.com

"
That's actually how you spell it, heh. "
keep reading it
#45 Edited by smitty86 (698 posts) -

Guy on NBC: "This ends a chapter in global terrorism." Pretty sure that book is still going to be open though. Osama was not the final boss. Although I do expect a Black Ops style ending. More jets!

#46 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@CL60 said:
I think we think the guy who orchestrated a pretty fucked up attack is dead now so we're enjoying it for about 4 minutes before people bitch and whine about unrelated issues like how they hate America.
#47 Posted by Blair (2507 posts) -

Gorgeous.

#48 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@CL60 said:

And this folks is why the War isn't going to end anytime soon. None of these wars were about Osama and none really had anything to do with Terror.

Don't expect the troops to be coming home anytime soon, or for any military bases to be cleared, or for the trillion dollar military or its trillion dollar wars to end.

Osama may be dead, but the wars still continue.

#49 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I think Obama is going to pull a fatality on Osama Bin Laden's corpse on live TV!

But really, it's not like this means that our troops overseas will be home tomorrow. Unfortunately we're locked in situation overseas such that if we left, everything would be much worse. While we might be having troops come home in larger numbers, our presence overseas might not necessarily be over.
#50 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -
@Dany said:
" @MisterChief said:
" @Dany said:
" cnn.com

"
That's actually how you spell it, heh. "
keep reading it "
Oh dear. That's what I get for defending Fox.