Otaku accidentally starts a fire on livestream

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3ng8za/japanese_live_streamer_accidentally_burns_his/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_orOT3Prwg&feature=youtu.be&t=5m

I don't know if the creepy lolicon voice coming from his PC makes this funnier or more disturbing. A little bit of both, I suppose. The main takeaway is don't use extremely flammable objects to put out a fire.

Apparently, he was playing Minecraft.

Edit: No deaths caused by this incident

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's grim. Almost like he was checking the stream for last-minute advice.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Holy shit, that's horrible. The PC voice makes it so surreal.

For me though, the takeaway is that someone died because this dude didn't handle the situation properly. Like yeah, his ineptitude is funny, but had very real consequences. From the Reddit thread: buy a damn extinguisher and know how to use it.

My roommate was cooking once, and the pan caught on fire...not just a little bit, like a huge flame erupted out of it. I don't know that we handled it perfectly, but he had an extinguisher and we were able to at least put it out without major incident.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fire is scary. I've seen people panic over a grease fire on the stove before, and not thinking went to put it out with water.

Shame someone lost their life in this instance. Wonder if he'll get charged for it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, they'd need to prove willful neglect or intent. This is just a case of someone panicking and choosing the wrong option and sticking with it.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PC voice is a program Japanese streamers use that automatically reads chat for them. You can change the pitch of the voice.

Sucks that someone died. Keep an extinguisher nearby, people!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By doctordonkey

I know this is dire, seeing as someone perished from this guys terrible judgment, but I lost it when he started piling cardboard boxes on top of the burning trash pile. What the fuck.

Edit: Ok, so apparently the woman who died was involved in an unrelated fire that burned down 4 apartments, it just happened to have been within the same hour window on the same day so it got confused. Feel free to laugh at this guys unbelievable stupidity.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire is scary. I've seen people panic over a grease fire on the stove before, and not thinking went to put it out with water.

Shame someone lost their life in this instance. Wonder if he'll get charged for it.

i panicked and was this close to putting out a grease fire with the actual oil in the pan me and my roomate were cooking with. thankfully the hot oil sloshed and burned my hand a bit before i could carry out my "plan", and my roomate smothered it with another pan. i need to have a cooler head in intense situations. :(

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. That video showed an impressive amount of stupidity out of a single person.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Those poor people. My thoughts and prayers go out to their friends and family.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

@oldirtybearon said:

i panicked and was this close to putting out a grease fire with the actual oil in the pan me and my roomate were cooking with. thankfully the hot oil sloshed and burned my hand a bit before i could carry out my "plan", and my roomate smothered it with another pan. i need to have a cooler head in intense situations. :(

Eh, people panic. It's one thing to be told what to do in case of an emergency, but it's another thing entirely to be in one. It's easy to think "if I'm ever on fire just stop drop and roll!" but if you're lit on fire it's hard to keep cool and think.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't tell you where the fire extinguisher is in this house.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BoOzak

Fire alarms are idiot proof, I cant say I would've done much better in that situation (for starters I know i'm stupid so I dont play with fire, so that's something) but at least people would be made aware of my stupidity and not die due to it. It's good to know that this guy didnt cause any deaths but hearing that someone elsewhere caused something similiar and even more dire to happen almost at the same time doesnt make things much better.

The robot voice was funny though...

EDIT: The other fire could've been some freak occurence outside of someones control so I shouldnt say it was someones fault. I was just kind of alarmed that people like this exist, I should know better.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By FLStyle

Yeah... not going to watch that video, that's a step too far for my personal tastes.

My sympathies to the families of the women and anyone else yet to be revealed.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Holy smokes!

The voice is a text-to-speech thing that is built in to NicoNico, I think...

With the 3.0 update to PS4, they've just added a similar feature for streaming, if you don't want the comment overlay on your stream, but still want to the comments.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By a_e_martin

@slang_n_bang According to updates in that reddit thread, no one died in that fire. The reports got mixed up with a different fire that happened around the same time.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

guess someone should update the info, death of the woman was caused by a unrelated fire incident that same night, guy still handled it poorly though.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The thread title should be amended as its wrong and sensationalitic

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

On a scale of 0-10, I just can't even.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm missing what you mean. would you mind clarifying?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallen189 said:

I'm missing what you mean. would you mind clarifying?

The woman didnt die as a result of this fire, it just happened in the same complex, and in the mad rush to report this story, people had crossed wires

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rethla

Awesome.

Try to put out the fire if you can do it quick and safe. If not close the door to the room and alarm everyone in danger and call the firemen. If you have the know how turning off the power on the way out doesnt hurt either. That looked dangerously close to flashover in the end and you dont wanna be in the room when that happens.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By imsh_pl

Thank god no one died in the fire...

Please don't smoke in a room. At least if you do, don't do it in one full of boxes, cardboard, tissues and flammable stuff without an extinguisher.

The video really puts things into perspective. You hear about things like this all the time but there's something in witnessing every step that makes you realize how dangerously out of control shit like this can get.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hassun

@slang_n_bang: The second link in your post says a 78-year-old woman was found dead in the ruins of the building.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure that panic is a bitch, but man.. Trying to get rid of fire by putting cardboard on top of it is not a great idea.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to watch this because man fuck fires.

Anyone any good resources for like, fire safety/response? One of those things I forget about but it wouldn't hurt to brush up.

Capasso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the smell of moe in the morning.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Skipping through the video, I'm amazed he didn't set his apartment on fire earlier in the video. I think he violated most of the no-brainer rules when it comes to open flames and flammable fluids even before the actual fire.

Handling lighter fluid while having a lit cigarette in his mouth?

Bag of lighter fluid soaked tissues on fire? Put a cardboard box over it!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also remember to check the charge on your extinguisher(s) at least twice a year when switching in new smoke detector batteries. Your standard home extinguisher at full charge will only last a few seconds.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear no one actually died...but man that is still a horrible thing to happen. However, why in the heck he takes the flaming items and starts hitting them with a card board box is beyond me.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Um... wow. I sure hope most people aren't this idiot-prone in critical situations. I thought I couldn't trust most people with guns; will I have to add matches to that list too?

Fire safety should be a part of compulsory education. Teach it to them young.

Also, I hope everybody's ok and will be able to get their lives back together.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takoyaki said:

The PC voice is a program Japanese streamers use that automatically reads chat for them. You can change the pitch of the voice.

Sucks that someone died. Keep an extinguisher nearby, people!

Why do you need a fire extinguisher? Just call the fire department. /s

I've been afraid to light incense at my desk recently because the burner is set on a wobbly part of the desk not far from other flammable stuff. It is scary to think how quickly a little match can get dangerous indoors.

I used to be super paranoid about fire until a few years ago at a camp out and I was just too worn out to care. Like I couldn't light matches for fear of burning my fingers paranoid. Now I like to light them because I like the smell.

It feels weird having a guy smoke while moe voices are played. Smoking used to be something edgy teens did, not people who celebrate Madoka's birthday.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Translation of the robot voice (his stream chat presumably) from /u/JehuLove:

"My loose translation of the text-to-voice comments:

"Behind you. Behind you. Look Behind you."

"Where did he go? Is he coming back?"

"The fire extinguisher. Use the fire extinguisher."

"Whaaaaaaat???"

"Holy shit.." (UAAAAA!)

"Why did you take it over there?"

"Call 119" (Japanese 911)

"Find a way to smother it."

"Whaaaa"

"Don't you have a futon (thin Japanese mattress) you can put on it?"

"If you don't smother it it's not going to go out."

"Call 119 or use your fire extinguisher."

"Call 119. Why did this even happen??""

It's definitely a shame that this happened at all, but if he listened to any of the tips he was getting (or did anything rational at all), I don't think this would of happened.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

i haven't laughed this hard ina while. thanks :]

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, didnt know someone died :-/ I had laughed at the video earlier today. Man...He seriously did the WORST job I could think of to put that out. He had it almost under control 2-3x, but threw fuel on the fire, then left the room to let it get worse every time! Oh here Ill toss the fire on these cardboard boxes full of paper, leave the room for a small pan of water for 20s and let it get worse. Then after smothering the fire nearly getting it under control, Ill leave this blanket on it to go get another small pan of water. It was a seriously comical train wreck you couldnt take your eyes off. Not so much hearing someone died :-/

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Nah, they'd need to prove willful neglect or intent. This is just a case of someone panicking and choosing the wrong option and sticking with it.

Im not sure off hand what country this happened in, but you never know. In China you could be stuck with a persons medical bills for calling an ambulance for them. People will literally ignore a dying person on the streets. There was news footage of a toddler being hit by two cars, and 18 people just walked passed completely ignoring it. Other countries have weird laws. I wouldnt be amazed if he could be charged with some crime depending on where this happened.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is a pretty good reminder that I need to check if my fire extinguisher is still good, and buy another if it's not.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@john1912 the death was from a different fire, not this one

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a good PSA on why you shouldn't smoke.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

It did remind me of this when he tried to put out the fire with a cardboard box

Duluoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the trash bag fire was intentional. Like he thought that it would be easy to put out and it would be "crazy-hijinks" moment for his stream and get some more views or something.

If not this is a human being with a colossal lack of spatial awareness/common sense/fire extinguishers. Love that fuckin dog bowl of water he dumps on a 5 foot tall flame, the dog bowl catches fire, and he throws it into the pile.

jeremym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap, that's terrifying.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

For some reason, when I see the word Otaku I immediately think that Otacon accidentally started a fire - which I can totally see happening.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

...I'm sorry, that's horrible.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even the fire alarms sound cool over there.
Watched this yesterday, crazy stuff.