Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ugalde

Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUI4jWFI3U 
 Heres a video of the chipmunk. 

So my sister found a abbandoned baby chipmunk while outside. We decided to look around for the mother and leave the chipmunk where we found him to see if the mother showed up. Well she never showed up so we took him in. We put him in a plastic droor with woodchips and a bag ful of warm water that he could lay on. We also decided to buy him gatorade which the people at the pet store told us to get him. We then bought him some type of pet formula. Or maybe it was just normal formula.  

The first night he escaped the droor and crawled under my hoody that she left on the ground. I guess it was a good thing I decided to check up on him. 

Now for today. My mom went to work and my sister had to goto this camp thing. My mom never told me this so I didnt know I should of been watching the chipmunk(I sleep all day). My mom came home from work and check on the chipmunk to see that he looked dead. His lips were blue and we were scared. My mom kept rubbing his head but we assumed he was dead. We then drove to the vet to see if he could help. He was closed. We went back home and kept trying to help him. There was no clear animal hospital around and we didnt have a phone book to find one. He looked dead but and his stomach showed no signs of breathing. While we were stroking him we noticed he was making noises. He was also moving his lips. We grabbed a little suringe and put water in it. Than put it near his mouth. He started sucking on it. He than started to move around.  

Turns out he was just dehydrated because we never gave him food or water. We felt like absolute shit. Now I'm personally going to make sure he gets tooken care of. 

Also a mod locked my thread asking for help which I didnt appreciate at all.

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ugalde

Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jUI4jWFI3U 
 Heres a video of the chipmunk. 

So my sister found a abbandoned baby chipmunk while outside. We decided to look around for the mother and leave the chipmunk where we found him to see if the mother showed up. Well she never showed up so we took him in. We put him in a plastic droor with woodchips and a bag ful of warm water that he could lay on. We also decided to buy him gatorade which the people at the pet store told us to get him. We then bought him some type of pet formula. Or maybe it was just normal formula.  

The first night he escaped the droor and crawled under my hoody that she left on the ground. I guess it was a good thing I decided to check up on him. 

Now for today. My mom went to work and my sister had to goto this camp thing. My mom never told me this so I didnt know I should of been watching the chipmunk(I sleep all day). My mom came home from work and check on the chipmunk to see that he looked dead. His lips were blue and we were scared. My mom kept rubbing his head but we assumed he was dead. We then drove to the vet to see if he could help. He was closed. We went back home and kept trying to help him. There was no clear animal hospital around and we didnt have a phone book to find one. He looked dead but and his stomach showed no signs of breathing. While we were stroking him we noticed he was making noises. He was also moving his lips. We grabbed a little suringe and put water in it. Than put it near his mouth. He started sucking on it. He than started to move around.  

Turns out he was just dehydrated because we never gave him food or water. We felt like absolute shit. Now I'm personally going to make sure he gets tooken care of. 

Also a mod locked my thread asking for help which I didnt appreciate at all.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Drawer, taken. 

Yes, food and water helps keeps things alive.

And the mods locked it because this is a video game website, not a chipmunk health care forum.

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ugalde
@TheMustacheHero:
I posted it in off-topic. Which is the non video game part.  But we felt like shit for not giving him food and water. My mom thought he would be fine until she got out of work but she was wrong.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

Pretty sure it's a known fact that you don't just take in wild animals because things like that happen. 

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ugalde
@Br3adfan said:
"Pretty sure it's a known fact that you don't just take in wild animals because things like that happen.  "

Well we left him out there for a night thinking his mom would get him but we found him in the same spot the next day trying to burrow in the ground. His mom never came back for him. We didnt want to leave him out to die. I probably should of mentioned that we left him there for one night.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#6  Edited By JackiJinx

None of you seriously thought that a BABY chipmunk needed food or water for a whole day? Wow.

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ugalde
@JackiJinx said:
"None of you seriously thought that a BABY chipmunk needed food or water for a whole day? Wow. "

Thats what I said to my mom.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
@JackiJinx said:
" None of you seriously thought that a BABY chipmunk needed food or water for a whole day? Wow. "
Wasn't it fine though when it was left outside for a day in the same spot? Maybe you should have just left it.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By breadfan
@JackiJinx said:
None of you seriously thought that a BABY chipmunk needed food or water for a whole day? Wow.
It was murder
Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Skogen

I work at a pet store and to be honest we usually recommend you take it to an animal shelter to be put down if you can't find the mother within a day. The problem is that unless you're really into animal care and know how to take care of them, you're going to kill it through malnourishment. The type of food and quantity that it needs to obtain is hard to duplicate while force-feeding it through a syringe, and things like human milk can kill them very quickly. Going to a vet will net you a massive bill due to the meds they would most likely prescribe. So unless you want to poison it with the wrong food or overfeed it to death, I would recommend taking it to an animal shelter.

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ugalde

Video up guys.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By buzz_killington

I don't know if they take chipmunks or not, but if they do, take it to the animal shelter. Free yourself from the responsibility.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Skogen said:
" I work at a pet store and to be honest we usually recommend you take it to an animal shelter to be put down if you can't find the mother within a day. The problem is that unless you're really into animal care and know how to take care of them, you're going to kill it through malnourishment. The type of food and quantity that it needs to obtain is hard to duplicate while force-feeding it through a syringe, and things like human milk can kill them very quickly. Going to a vet will net you a massive bill due to the meds they would most likely prescribe. So unless you want to poison it with the wrong food or overfeed it to death, I would recommend taking it to an animal shelter. "
Listen to this gentleman.
Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ugalde
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Skogen said:
" I work at a pet store and to be honest we usually recommend you take it to an animal shelter to be put down if you can't find the mother within a day. The problem is that unless you're really into animal care and know how to take care of them, you're going to kill it through malnourishment. The type of food and quantity that it needs to obtain is hard to duplicate while force-feeding it through a syringe, and things like human milk can kill them very quickly. Going to a vet will net you a massive bill due to the meds they would most likely prescribe. So unless you want to poison it with the wrong food or overfeed it to death, I would recommend taking it to an animal shelter. "
Listen to this gentleman. "
I dont think the kids or I could take letting them put it to sleep. I would much rather take care of it. 

@buzz_killington said:
"

I don't know if they take chipmunks or not, but if they do, take it to the animal shelter. Free yourself from the responsibility.

"

I would much rather take the responsibility of taking care of it instead of letting them kill it.    
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Br3adfan: Did I read it wrong? 

Pretty sure it survived...
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By breadfan
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @Br3adfan: Did I read it wrong?  Pretty sure it survived... "
My bad I read the post wrong
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By artofwar420

Where the vet? VETERINARIAN!

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ugalde

THE CHIPMUNK IS NOT DEAD PEOPLE. WATCH THE VID.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By artofwar420
@Ugalde: I'm afraid to watch the video, how exactly is it.
Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Videogames

You can always let the chipmunk "accidentally" run away.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Hamst3r

Return the chipmunk to nature and let nature handle it.

If you want to spice things up a little, put the chipmunk in a bird's nest and take bets on whether the bird will attempt to raise it like it's own or peck it's eyes out.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RetroIce4

Animals do need food and water you know?

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE

Oh Giantbomb of yesteryear, where art thou?

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ugalde
@artofwar420 said:
" @Ugalde: I'm afraid to watch the video, how exactly is it. "

Just a video of me holding him nothing bad.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Systech

How the hell do you automatically assume that it's abandoned? It's a chipmunk for fuck's sake, which is a wild animal, which from time to time end up in our neck of the woods to check out our business.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's cute.

Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ugalde
@systech said:
"How the hell do you automatically assume that it's abandoned? It's a chipmunk for fuck's sake, which is a wild animal, which from time to time end up in our neck of the woods to check out our business. "
It was a baby that was outside by itself. We left it there through the day and no mother came. It was like unconcious when we first got it. Did you read what I explained about the dehydration that we caused. It was like that when we first found it.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Griddler

My brother has chipmunks aswell.. they stink

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Yeah dude, take that thing to a shelter. If you thought it would be fine without food or water then you're not capable of bringing it up.

lhwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lhwll
@girdz: 

hahahahahahaha
Ugalde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ugalde
@Muttinus_Rump said:
"Yeah dude, take that thing to a shelter. If you thought it would be fine without food or water then you're not capable of bringing it up. "

It wasnt that. It was more of a miscommunication than just not thinking it needed food or water. I dont feel like getting into detail because I'm gaming but dont worry were making sure he eats every 3 hours. We constantly check on him. My mom even sets a alarm in the middle of the night to feed him. Dont worry well take care of him.