Oxygen found on Saturn's moon Rhea

PaxRomana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PaxRomana

I think this is awesome, finally proof of oxygen on other worlds.

A spacecraft has tasted oxygen in the atmosphere of another world for the first time while flying low over Saturn's icy moon, Rhea.

Nasa's Cassini probe scooped oxygen from the thin atmosphere of the planet's moon while passing overhead at an altitude of 97km in March this year.

Until now, wisps of oxygen have only been detected on planets and their moons indirectly, using the Hubble space telescope and other major facilities.

Instruments aboard Cassini revealed an extremely thin oxygen and carbon dioxide atmosphere that is sustained by high-energy particles slamming into the moon's surface and kicking up atoms, molecules and ions.

Astronomers have counted 62 moons orbiting Saturn. At 1500km wide, Rhea is the second largest and is thought to be made almost entirely of ice.

Read More: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/nov/25/oxygen-saturn-moon-rhea

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cookiemonster

So what does this actually mean?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond
@CookieMonster:  Water and potentially life.
djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By djaoni
@Diamond said:
" @CookieMonster:  Water and potentially life. "
Indeed. We're getting closer and closer to realistically finding life on another planet. 

Wasn't it just weeks back they discovered the first extragalactic planet? Thought I read it.
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By SlowHands

I want to go to space, but I probably never will.  This joyous news has made me sad.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zimbo

Don't you need plants to have oxygen? Or can it be formed a different way? Either way, this is really interesting.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
@djaoni said:

Wasn't it just weeks back they discovered the first extragalactic planet? Thought I read it.

I don't recall reading anything like that.  There was something about the first relatively Earth sized extrasolar planet.  It seems to me that finding an extragalactic planet would be impossible with current tech.

No, it seems you were right.  It was quite recent : Link

It's because right now the star it circles is inside our galaxy according to the article.  Hard to see how that counts, for all the scientists know planets are formed exclusively by stars within the Milky Way :P
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn
@Zimbo said:
" Don't you need plants to have oxygen? Or can it be formed a different way? Either way, this is really interesting. "
Decomposition of Water I guess.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Give the ice planet some dirt and we got plants. Boy, if our species colonizes on that thing, we're going to have an incredible view of Saturn as our "moon". :-)

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora
@Zimbo said:
" Don't you need plants to have oxygen? Or can it be formed a different way? Either way, this is really interesting. "
Plants need sunlight and water. They produce oxygen from this. Earth didn't have a whole lot of oxygen back then, not until plants and microorganism began producing oxygen in the oceans. 

I'm not sure if they convert carbon dioxide into oxygen though. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong on some level.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Ineedaname

Why does there have to be water and oxygen to be life?

If it's an alien life form it would have to adapt to it's own surroundings. Which may not have water or oxygen, but something else.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pweidman

Facinating news.  Oxygen means water, and water means life is possible, even if at only the cellular level.  Plants convert CO2 into Oxygen through photosynthesis, yes.  I wonder what that moon's rotational speed is.  Maybe it's so slow that some of it's ice can melt? Or maybe some time during Saturn's elipse around the sun.  Astronomy is just goddamned awesome :).
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman

Probe win!
 Probe win!
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By bybeach

Here if I understand right, the oxygen is being produced by the high energy particles colliding with atoms and such on the surface. it is not being produced by organisms. But on earth, it was methane eating organisms that produces oxygen in the first place, and later photosynthesis. 

Still it is a neat discovery.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hicks91

science post woo! 

I fully believe there is life out there, somewhere. In the universe we believe there are 10^21 stars. thats 1 000  000  000  000  000  000  000 stars. Each one potentially could contain a system that could support life, so i dont see why we are so special. 

@Diamond said:

" @CookieMonster:  Water and potentially life. "

life is unlikely, it just means that diatomic, elemental oxygen can be demonstrably shown to exist in detectable quantities on bodies other than Earth which just really gives us hope there could be earth like bodies out there, somewhere. 

@Zimbo said:

On earth plants recycle oxygen, however where it comes from is deeper than that. All elements heavier than hydrogen are forged in the nuclear furnace at the centre of stars. They produce true elements, plants merely operate a chemical reaction of materials that are already there 

here is NASA's explanation of it 

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/050921a.html  

@Ineedaname said:
" Why does there have to be water and oxygen to be life?  If it's an alien life form it would have to adapt to it's own surroundings. Which may not have water or oxygen, but something else. "

Water is believed necessary for life because it is the perfect environment for chemical processes to occur. It is also made of Hydrogen and Oxygen, with Hydrogen being the most abundant element in the universe, and oxygen being one of the "easier" elements to create, it is likely that any life forms will evolve utilizing the two. 

once again, here is a NASA scientist giving a far better explanation 

http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/question/?id=178
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ineedaname said:
" Why does there have to be water and oxygen to be life?  If it's an alien life form it would have to adapt to it's own surroundings. Which may not have water or oxygen, but something else. "
There was an article recently on this, and it suggested that alien-life would be very similar to what you'd find on earth. ie. Consisting and dependant upon the same chemical requirements. I think its due to life needing both heat and water, but I'm not sure. If I can find the article I'll link it.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zimbo
@hicks91: 
Oh, I see. Thanks for the info. Science is awesome. :D
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho

God I can't wait until beer companies can tap space icebergs.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany
@Ineedaname said:
We don't know of any life that can live without water so it is much safer to say if it has water it can have life
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kjellm87

That's pretty cool
I believe there's alot of life out there in space, just not nearby.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By astrotriforce

Very, very interesting. I love reading about space and planets, even though most of it is over my head.  

When I was in Junior High I read literally every single planet book they had in the library :P

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

As explained in the initial article, they have found oxygen on three of Saturn's moons.
It was the carbon dioxide that made it interesting.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By halberdierv2

cool! although, the temperature is still an issue.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArchScabby

We should do the Total Recall thing.  We need to suck all the air out until that moon is willing to obey us and follow our rules!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By ch3burashka

I don't give a shit about extra-terrestrial bacteria and other dumb stuff. I'll regain interest once we encounter another conscious species.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CH3BURASHKA: Haven't you heard? They are already here, trying to usher in a new world order by controlling the UN and the Rockefeller family. I mean, seriously, open your eyes, man.