#1 Edited by mrfluke (5125 posts) -

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/pacific-rim-9m-opening-in-china-biggest-ever-for-warner-bros-sequel-likely/

apparently this movie is doing real well internationally, it already made back all its money and broke records in China as it was the biggest box office opening warner bros ever had in china. and it hasn't even opened in Japan yet

from the article above.

The latest development is the 3D sci-fi actioner’s Wednesday opening in China to a record-breaking $9M from an estimated 5,700 digital 3D screens, 117 digital 3D IMAX screens, and 22 China Giant Screen sites. That’s a new high for any Warner Bros release and 23% bigger than for any Harry Potter film including 3D Harry Potter 7B. Pacific Rim grossed a huge 70% of the Top Five market share there. This is after the pic broke through to become the #1 film internationally on July 19-21 as it rolled out into less than half the global territories. Pacific Rim releases in Spain, Brazil and Japan on August 9th.

im going to be real shocked if this movie doesn't do well in japan off all places, but real glad that its turning a profit now,

hope they fully confirm and give del toro the full greenlight to do a sequel, as the idea floating around (spoilers for those who havent seen it) sounds pretty interesting.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

That is indeed a question.

#3 Edited by mrfluke (5125 posts) -

@video_game_king: seems to have been a fluke* with the website as i didn't select it to be a question. but i went back and fixed it.

#4 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3841 posts) -

Fantastic, glad to hear this. I could definitely go for more of that brand of nuts.

#5 Edited by csl316 (8338 posts) -

Excellent news.

#6 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2483 posts) -

I am always in support of giving Del Toro loads of money to do crazy shit.

#7 Edited by Aegon (5466 posts) -

I would think it'd do super well in Japan. Kojima loved it, although he is buddies with Del Toro and his friend and co-worker (Yoji) apparently made the Japanese poster for Pacific Rim.

Notice the resemblance to Metal Gear art

#8 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2146 posts) -

Praise be to glorious China, seriously.

#9 Edited by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

really good news. I think I want to go see this next week.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

Awesome. Del Toro definitely deserves the success.

#11 Edited by DarthOrange (3857 posts) -

hooray!

#12 Posted by Korwin (2836 posts) -

Fuck yeah.

The secret here isn't to call it Pacific Rim 2. You need to make a darker edgier title for the second one but still tie it to a body of water, wait I got it.

Laurentian Abyss

I'll see myself out.

#13 Posted by Cheesebob (1235 posts) -

AWESOME

#14 Edited by hydrotherion (51 posts) -

I love this movie. It was the first popcorn movie this year where i felt like a little boy again when watching!:) Good to hear it's not depended on the us boxoffice.

#15 Edited by AMyggen (2751 posts) -

It's opening on friday here in Norway, can't wait!

edit: And it's been the case for some years now that American movies aren't as depended on the US boxoffice anymore, international is where it's at.

#16 Edited by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Saw it on Sunday and loved it. So, so stupid in the best way possible.

#17 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (407 posts) -

What I would give for Kojima to somehow collaborate with Del-Toro on a second film.

The stuff surrounding PR is almost better than the movie itself.

Take for instance, this fan-made japanese trailer done in classic TOHO Godzilla style.

or this sketch of Del-Toro by Yoji done as a Metal Gear style portrait.

#18 Posted by BonOrbitz (2182 posts) -

THANK THE FUCK GOD.

#19 Posted by N7 (3578 posts) -

I went to see the movie yesterday but ended up retaining exactly zero information from the movie since the people I was beside did nothing but make Pewdiepie-esc jokes about the movie and wouldn't shut up. But what I did retain was how fucking awesome it was.

#20 Posted by JackSukeru (5907 posts) -

I don't watch a lot of movies but I do wanna see this sometime. I think it opens tomorrow here so I guess I should make some sort of plan to go see it.

#21 Edited by Nardak (469 posts) -

Probably it is a bit too early to celebrate. Reading that article further it seems like the writer is speculating that chinas box office income will make the sequel possible.

If one reads a little further:

No one is yet saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to the high cost of its Industrial Light & Magic CGI which sent the budget to $180M-$220M.

Also:

Through Tuesday, the pic’s foreign cume is $144.7M from 52 territories and its worldwide total is $229M.

I dont think that the budget includes the cost of marketing. The movie probably has to make anywhere between 200 or 300 million dollars in profit until Warner Brothers will consider a sequel.

#22 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5362 posts) -

......oh, that's nice.

#23 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1719 posts) -

Oh man, this is such good news. The ideas del Toro has for the sequel sound incredible. The sequel MUST be made. I won't have it any other way. Though I would actually prefer if he did Hellboy 3 first.

#24 Posted by The_Ruiner (1026 posts) -

I hope they have better characters to back up the visuals this time.

#25 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

At least someone in this world has some fucking sense.

#26 Edited by Veektarius (4741 posts) -

I just regret that there will be no more Stacker Pentecost :(

#27 Posted by Veektarius (4741 posts) -
#28 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

.....I bet the chinese jaeger survives in the sequel

#29 Edited by mrfluke (5125 posts) -

@nardak said:

Probably it is a bit too early to celebrate. Reading that article further it seems like the writer is speculating that chinas box office income will make the sequel possible.

If one reads a little further:

No one is yet saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to the high cost of its Industrial Light & Magic CGI which sent the budget to $180M-$220M.

Also:

Through Tuesday, the pic’s foreign cume is $144.7M from 52 territories and its worldwide total is $229M.

I dont think that the budget includes the cost of marketing. The movie probably has to make anywhere between 200 or 300 million dollars in profit until Warner Brothers will consider a sequel.

well, i know its taboo to talk about this site again, but screened has data showing that it already made 37 million in profit

http://www.screened.com/pacific-rim/16-203469/

#30 Posted by MocBucket62 (1180 posts) -

@aegon: That must be Metal Gear Gyspy! That's a sweet poster!

This is some awesome news! Loved the heck out of Pacific Rim!

#31 Posted by Corvak (963 posts) -

North America needs to re-evaluate it's taste in movies. That is all.

#32 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3841 posts) -

@veektarius: that's got to be one of the best character names in any movie.

#33 Posted by theveej (822 posts) -

This movie is gonna sell bonkers in Japan. I am really happy that there is a chance that they will be making a sequel to it.

I saw it in D-BOX and MY GAWD it was the best movie experience I had ever had. Way better than any IMAX movie, if you have not watched Pacific Rim in D-BOX DO IT NOW!! The film was made for that format.

#34 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4960 posts) -

Hopefully there will be Japanese jaeger in the sequel.

#35 Posted by EXTomar (4623 posts) -

@corvak

I wouldn't say it is all bad since a strong argument could be made the best movies of the summer were Furious 6 and Pacific Rim. Hollywood is still making "crazy good summer movies" but they are also dropping bad ones too.

#36 Posted by Korwin (2836 posts) -

I like the Gappa The Triphibian Monster nod.

#37 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

I kinda don't want a sequel - The first film issues aside was completely whole in its camp stupidity and bravado.

That being said i'll be damned if i wouldnt immediately rush out for another opportunity to jump into more monster mashing!

#38 Posted by Bollard (5386 posts) -

Can't wait.

#39 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

Best movie of the summer, right infront of Man of Steel with Wolverine a bit behind those two. Best Summer in years!!!!

I haven't even seen Iron Man 3 yet! Can't be that bad. I ain't paid to be a critic, so why go into a movie super critical like many other people.

#40 Edited by mellotronrules (1179 posts) -

this is stellar news!

#41 Edited by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan said:

......oh, that's nice.

LMAO! nice one...

Edit: I got to save that gif now..

#42 Posted by golguin (3868 posts) -

That's good to hear. People were talking shit about the movie thinking it was some transformers knock off for no reason. Never seen people be so wrong.

#43 Posted by XenoNick (1394 posts) -

Oh hell yeah. Loved the hell out of Pacific Rim.

#44 Edited by Disaya (288 posts) -

Del Toro is seriously so adorable.

Just look at him! Glad it did well, would love to see another one.

#45 Edited by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

It's pretty cool to see that movies are becoming less and less dependent on the box office for the u.s. Also awesome to see Del Toro getting the credit he deserves. But mannn I don't want his next movie to be a sequel to this, he has way cooler ideas.