#1 Posted by Grasu (42 posts) -

There are plenty of reports as to how the PC games retail market is doing very poorly in most cases ( MMOs seem to do ok). And this is something that was confirmed by many developers over ther years, which makes me wonder why are there all the big titles available at retail still? I see PC versions of many games at retail barely break 100k while it is implied they do very good digitally.

So why is the point of releasing retail then? Are they doing more than NPD says, or is it cheaper to distribute them along the console versions? I was always curios but never had an answer.

#2 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that some regions of the world don't have the infrastructure to support digital distribution.

#3 Posted by Grasu (42 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that some regions of the world don't have the infrastructure to support digital distribution.

I dont think those regions matter given that pretty much any game nowadays has online activation.

#4 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

@Grasu: If they didn't matter, they wouldn't still print discs.

#5 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1229 posts) -

Online activation can be done on 56k though, downloading 15 gigs can not. I don't really see much point of PC retail either, and would love for PC games (and console games) to step in to the global future. Every time I have to wait like 3-4 days for no reason what so ever to play a game I sigh audibly.

I'd also LOVE for publishers to release numbers to NPD regarding PC digital.

#6 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -

I buy my PC games at retail, as it's weirdly cheaper to buy a physical copy and have it delivered, than it is to buy it from Steam.

#7 Posted by JCTango (1354 posts) -

@Grasu:

Some people like to collect physical copies of games, especially collector editions and whatnot, but I guess that could be considered a niche market at this point.

#8 Posted by Grasu (42 posts) -

@JCTango said:

@Grasu:

Some people like to collect physical copies of games, especially collector editions and whatnot, but I guess that could be considered a niche market at this point.

the point wasnt what people like to collect. I was merely asking why do developers still support it if does poorly.

#9 Posted by Raven10 (1596 posts) -

As long as people are buying it they will make it. They make more money off digital sales but there are still enough people who will buy the disc version for them to make money making the disc. I mean 100k in sales is still $6 million for a full priced game. The publisher gets something like 30% of that so they make $2 million off of disc sales. Not a huge amount as far as AAA games go but still enough to make selling the disc worthwhile.

#10 Posted by JCTango (1354 posts) -

@Grasu said:

@JCTango said:

@Grasu:

the point wasnt what people like to collect. I was merely asking why do developers still support it if does poorly.

I know, I was just addressing your question is all hehe

@Grasu said:

...why are there all the big titles available at retail still?...

So why is the point of releasing retail then?...

#11 Posted by tourgen (4238 posts) -

I'm one of those that buys disks most of the time because my home internet isn't reliable or fast. It's easier to buy and just hope the inevitable day-1 patch isn't too big.

I'm happy they still press disks for PC games. There are plenty of people in the USA that don't live in a metro area with good internet.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11046 posts) -

@mwng said:

I buy my PC games at retail, as it's weirdly cheaper to buy a physical copy and have it delivered, than it is to buy it from Steam.

Where are you buying your retail games then? Over the Steam Winter sale I got Rage for $5; it's still $30 at my local Best Buy.

That is, unless you don't wait for Steam sales at all.

#13 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

Some people like to buy retail vs download and a lot of it is download speeds.

I'm one of those people. My internet sucks so I'm going to buy retail if I can on my new PC unless the prices are just too good digital.

Like I just bought Max Payne 3 for $15 on Amazon for Christmas. Had to bite on that but the game will take 4 days to download. So yeah. That's an extreme example because it's 25 gigs, but even still, a 7 gig game will take at least 14 hours to download or so.

So for example I'm going to be looking to get DmC for PC and if I can find it retail I'm getting it retail.

#14 Posted by mwng (891 posts) -
@believer258 said:

@mwng said:

Where are you buying your retail games then? Over the Steam Winter sale I got Rage for $5; it's still $30 at my local Best Buy.

That is, unless you don't wait for Steam sales at all.

Just Amazon, was more talking about new/newish games rather than stuff that's been out long enough to be on sale.
Plus I live in the UK, so I think there's a bit of a mark up on some Steam games here.