PC monitor or tv display

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey duders have a question about monitors. So been thinking of buying a new monitor for my pc but I would like to play on my PS2 on the same desk so I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of having a tv as a monitor and if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

What you need to think about is the input lag which is usually around 50ms or more these days. SONY has a couple of models with around 14ms which is the fastest on the market that I know of. This is not all models however. Check out hdtvtest.co.uk but keep in mind that NA models might be different. Also another thing to think about is full 4:4:4 support. Many TV's use 4:2:2 which won't display as many colors as a PC can and even TVs that can often need to be set at PC mode to enable it. It can be hard to find this kind of information about all models however. And some people don't notice the difference that 40ms more lag does or that some TV's display less colors.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also think about resolution max you will get out of a good TV is 1080 unless you are buying some 4k nonsense. Alot of people buy cheap "HD" Tvs not realizing that they are only 720p or LESS. Don go any lower than 1080p. for pc use it will be almost useless. and gaming at sub 720p is no fun at all. You could always emulate ps2 on pc to save a console being hooked up.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

While there are tons of technical disadvantages of having a TV as a PC monitor (and dagas gave some pretty good examples), it's ultimately up to you to determine whether or not you actually care. For example, I have a TV connected to my computer, and while it's true that my monitor does a way better job, I still enjoy playing games on it. I don't even notice the display differences unless I look at a monitor side-by-side, although again you might.

As for the input lag situation, again YMMV. When I play games on my TV, I usually use a controller, so the input lag isn't a really big deal anyways. And although this is completely unscientific, the few times I played M/K on a friend's TV I didn't notice any practical difference compared to my monitor.

Point being, although I say there's nothing wrong with having a TV as a PC monitor, you have to decide for yourself if these things are an issue for you. If these things don't sound like that big of issues though, then they probably won't be to you. If you want to play PS2 games as well, then know that a TV is a fine, if not completely ideal, way to use your PC, at least IMO.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

1) Monitor will look better for your PC display for static images like your desktop
2) Monitor will be cheaper for higher resolution better refresh rate in the 22" to 27" range.
3) Decent monitor will have better 'computer centric' connections like Displayport, DVi and not just HDMI often...not awalys but often.
4) You don't really seem to be saying you will use it as a TV, So, all the hdtv features are useless to you...and if you want the best refresh-rate you will be TURING OFF all the fancy HDTV features anyway.

Err, why would you want to use a TV again?

A HDTV as a computer display is not the best deal in the 19" to 27" range where monitor are often cheaper unless you buy a Coby or 'other crap' HDTVs. Above 32" HDTV often become cheaper for similar quality, but they also end up being unpleasant to look at close up - screen door effect, etc.