• 71 results
#1 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

So it seems, at least.

What was easily the best thing to happen to electronic music has come to an end. Who is to blame if not Rob Swire and his cheap club-pop duo Knife Party?

Express your grief.

2002-2012

#2 Edited by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

R.I.P even though I have only ever listened to one of your songs. It was really good though.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I came in here thinking that somebody had invented something that makes pendulums completely and utterly obsolete. Woe unto others who come here believing that physics are now left wanting.

#4 Edited by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

I guess Pendulum's luck took a hard swing.

#5 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I haven't listened to a bunch of their stuff, but the 4 or so I have are 4 of my favorite electronic songs, so that sucks.

#6 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

FUCK! im not really into this type of music but i loved pendulum.

#7 Edited by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

Calling them "the best thing to happen to electronic music" is downright lunacy, but I'll say they did have a pretty good kitschy thing going and did well by it. That said if I hear propane nightmares one more time I will harm myself and others.

#8 Posted by Capum15 (4907 posts) -

Damn, I love Pendulum...I love pretty much every song on their albums, and was looking forward to a new one...

Haven't heard any Knife Party songs though, might give 'em a listen later.

Still, that sucks.

#9 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

Huh. Not much of a fan but I did like a few of their songs.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14697 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

Calling them "the best thing to happen to electronic music" is downright lunacy

seriously.

The only song I really loved was the song they did with Steven Wilson and that's only because I like porcupine tree.

well okay the slam music video's pretty good too.

#11 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -

They did some good songs .... 7 years ago. 

#12 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -

also 

you can give the same treatment to a lot of artists, I know, and I don't mean to make myself into some asshole who wants to celebrate their end. again, I thought they had a pretty good thing going.
but let's be realistic here.
#13 Posted by benspyda (2035 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I guess Pendulum's luck...

... took a hard swing.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#14 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

NOOOOOOOO! I really liked Pendulum :(

#15 Posted by jewunit (1062 posts) -

C'mon and SLAM and welcome to the jam!

A hiatus is not a termination. They may yet come back together later. For now, appreciate the music they have made and look forward to what may yet be.

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21676 posts) -

I'm going to be "that" guy since I've always seen people be "that" guy and I've never been "that" guy. Ready?

"Who?"

Seriously, though...I have no clue who Pendulum is/was, but it always sucks when someone's favorite group or someone who seemingly injected some freshness into a musical genre going goodbye.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Animasta said:

The only song I really loved was the song they did with Steven Wilson and that's only because I like porcupine tree.

Holy shit, I forgot that Porcupine Tree existed until just now!

Quickly! To the internet!

#18 Posted by Menito (23 posts) -

ya pendulum sure is dead *eye roll*

the EP that song is on is the most exciting thing rob swire has done since hold your colour

varried styles and real instrumentation or atleast real sounding blended with dub step.

its a direct evolution of what pendulum was

#19 Posted by Dethfish (3670 posts) -

Well...shit.

I guess Knife Party will have to do now.

#20 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

Stopped reading at "best thing to happen to electronic music"

#21 Posted by Menito (23 posts) -

@eskimo: pendulum did for electronic music the same that prodigy did in the 90s

updated an aging genre for a new generation.

made it cool! so ya pendulum was pretty important but to say "best thing ever" is pushing it.

#22 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I came in here thinking that somebody had invented something that makes pendulums completely and utterly obsolete. Woe unto others who come here believing that physics are now left wanting.

This.... I'm sad now.

#23 Posted by wewantsthering (1569 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Exactly why I'm here too. lol

#24 Posted by monstersnsoup (80 posts) -

:-/ Tis a bit of a sad thing. Knfe Party is plenty fun I must say, but I will miss their DnB style. Maybe it'll come back around?

#25 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@ThatFrood said:

Calling them "the best thing to happen to electronic music" is downright lunacy

seriously.

well okay the slam music video's pretty good too.

Cept for them introducing a lot of people into D&B and making it tolerable for people, like myself, who felt the genre was too harsh to appreciate. I'm sure lots of old school D&B fans out there say Pendulum's style is too electro or trance, but whatever; that's exactly what made their stuff so good and so approachable. Hold Your Colour was an amazing album since it'd fused trance with D&B so well and their subsequent albums were equally amazing.

"The best thing to happen to electronic" might be hyperbole but then what would be the best thing? I doubt anyone could objectively answer that, and as such, I've no problem with a fan of the group claiming such a thing. Pendulum would certainly be high up there in the "best things to happen to electronic music" list for me, too.

Sooo yeah, it's a shame that they have no plans for Pendulum, but yknow, if two of them are into dubstep now, I'm kind of happy they did that as a separate project and Pendulum wasn't involved. As impenetrable as D&B originally felt for me, dubstep is ten times worse and sorry Knife Party, but even you haven't got me interested in the genre.

#26 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -
@PixelPrinny: Drum n bass is only a subset of Electronic Music, artists like Imogen Heep (which I would immediately argue is more influential than Pendulum) are also a part of Electronic Music. Daft Punk leaps to mind as well. A band that was good at making Drum n Bass songs, with insubstantial variance, is not what one would call "the best thing to happen to electronic music" from an objective standpoint.
I can see how, from your standpoint, it is the most influential thing that happened to your enjoyment of the genre. I can also see how they may be one of the more influential bands in recent memory in the realm of Drum n Bass music. 
Electronic Music though? Absolutely not.
#27 Posted by Animasta (14697 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: well, they're free to call them the best and I'm free to call them an idiot.

it's not like I'm some big Dnb person either (noisia & concord dawn is kinda where it starts and stops) but I still think it's a little silly to call them the best thing to happen to electronic music

#28 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

@PixelPrinny: Drum n bass is only a subset of Electronic Music, artists like Imogen Heep (which I would immediately argue is more influential than Pendulum) are also a part of Electronic Music. Daft Punk leaps to mind as well. A band that was good at making Drum n Bass songs, with insubstantial variance, is not what one would call "the best thing to happen to electronic music" from an objective standpoint.I can see how, from your standpoint, it is the most influential thing that happened to your enjoyment of the genre. I can also see how they may be one of the more influential bands in recent memory in the realm of Drum n Bass music. Electronic Music though? Absolutely not.

When you put it that way it sounds much more intelligent and insightful than just, "Calling them "the best thing to happen to electronic music" is downright lunacy". Almost like you're actually having a conversation rather than making a quick offhanded remark :P

#29 Posted by ThatFrood (3375 posts) -
@PixelPrinny said:

@ThatFrood said:

@PixelPrinny: Drum n bass is only a subset of Electronic Music, artists like Imogen Heep (which I would immediately argue is more influential than Pendulum) are also a part of Electronic Music. Daft Punk leaps to mind as well. A band that was good at making Drum n Bass songs, with insubstantial variance, is not what one would call "the best thing to happen to electronic music" from an objective standpoint.I can see how, from your standpoint, it is the most influential thing that happened to your enjoyment of the genre. I can also see how they may be one of the more influential bands in recent memory in the realm of Drum n Bass music. Electronic Music though? Absolutely not.

When you put it that way it sounds much more intelligent and insightful than just, "Calling them "the best thing to happen to electronic music" is downright lunacy". Almost like you're actually having a conversation rather than making a quick offhanded remark :P

Every conversation starts somewhere!
#30 Edited by aurahack (2273 posts) -

It's a sad day for drum & bass, and a great day for dubstep. :( A shame, because I really would of liked to have seen Pendulum live. The closest I got was watching the livestream of their Wembley show last year which was fucking mind-blowing. They were easily one of the best live acts to have existed.

That said, while I adore Immersion, their last album was a departure from their traditional sound and it showed Rob and Gareth really wanted to explore new sounds. I really would of liked another album, though. :( Then again, I seem to be one of the few in this thread that actually seriously love Knife Party, so everything's coming up Milhouse on my end. Also "best thing to happen to electronic music" is a little much, but I'll certainly support the argument that they were ridiculously influential to the sound of modern electronic music. DnB, dubstep, and electro house benefited enormously from Pendulum's presence.

At least there's still Prodigy's new album this year. Holy fuck am I ever excited for it.

#31 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@eskimo said:

Stopped reading at "best thing to happen to electronic music"

Me too.

#32 Posted by ch3burashka (5087 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

... took a hard swing.

I'm sure that when David Caruso is cruising the GB forums, he takes a good long swig of whisky whenever someone makes a decade-old CSI Miami joke. Rick rolling has officially been retired, I think it's time to give CSI a rest.

#33 Posted by Jayzilla (2563 posts) -

i heard the guy from Pendulum swings both ways.

#34 Posted by dudeglove (7900 posts) -

@Jayzilla said:

i heard the guy from Pendulum swings both ways.

grooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn........

#35 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@ShaggE said:

... took a hard swing.

I'm sure that when David Caruso is cruising the GB forums, he takes a good long swig of whisky whenever someone makes a decade-old CSI Miami joke. Rick rolling has officially been retired, I think it's time to give CSI a rest.

When I segment puns like that, it's more of a "wait for it...", and less of a CSI reference. That's why I never add a "YEEEEEAH".

#36 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

"best thing to happen to electronic music"

Hmm, they were okay, but really?

#37 Posted by Castiel (2636 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

... took a hard swing.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... what?

#38 Posted by Castiel (2636 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@ShaggE said:

... took a hard swing.

When I segment puns like that, it's more of a "wait for it...", and less of a CSI reference. That's why I never add a "YEEEEEAH".

Ops well I guess I ruined it then :/

#39 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

@Castiel said:

@ShaggE said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@ShaggE said:

... took a hard swing.

Ops well I guess I ruined it then :/

You bastard... :P

#40 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (720 posts) -

pendulum has sucked for a few years now, anyways. they're sellout motherfuckers. good riddance!

#41 Posted by bio595 (307 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

#42 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I have honestly never heard a Pendulum song. 
At least not that I can remember but that's because of the genre, mostly. But hey, bummer for people who liked them!

#43 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

@scalpel said:

easily the best thing to happen to electronic music has come to an end.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Pendulum had a couple of great early tunes, especially the neurofunk stuff, but it's nowhere near the top in Drum n' Bass, let alone fucking all of electronic music.

#44 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

@Menito said:

@eskimo: pendulum did for electronic music the same that prodigy did in the 90s

Not even that. Also, "electronic music" is barely a genre.

#45 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

All they did was make a watered down and more pop-y version of dnb. They are nowhere near the best thing to happen to dnb, let alone electronic music.

#46 Posted by Cozmicaztaway (221 posts) -

Well this sucks. Really, really enjoyed Pendulum, especially Blood Sugar, and their remix of Voodoo People was my favourite version of that song by far. Seriously, few things get me as freaking amped as some crazy Pendulum songs. Oh well.

#47 Posted by Vexxan (4622 posts) -

I'm afraid I can't let them do that.

#48 Posted by Jothel (930 posts) -

Pendulum were terrible after Hold Your Colour... so, I disagree with them being "the best thing to happen to electronic music" by a lot

#49 Posted by GaspoweR (3064 posts) -

It looks like they are on Hiatus and not necessarilly putting it to rest.

#50 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

I don't know If people are just hating Pendulum because they are "cool", but then again, everyone has opinions. Besides the fact that everybody hates what is popular.

Also, this sucks. Am a fan of their stuff.