• 65 results
#51 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -
#52 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3196 posts) -

Afghanistan co-worker sounds like he didn't want to be disrespectful to your other co-worker. He tried to sympathize with him in order to make him understand that his issues are real.

Now if you want to take about strange at the bus transit center there's a dude who pretends he has an imaginary dog and walks around with those invisible dog leashes. Funny thing is he's the one barking at people, strange am I right?

#53 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

When people think of depression, they think it's due to stress or some other stupid crap and that the person should get over it regardless. How wrong they are though - it's deadly and it can lead to other things, or if it's combined with other illnesses like Bipolar disorder and/or Borderline Personality Disorder, it can be very dangerous. I know this cause my ex had these issues by the way.

#54 Posted by PolyesterKyle (137 posts) -

Super real question here guys, and please don't put me on blast or whatever. I've been trying really really hard to get over depression for like the last 8 years of my life. I mean, at this point, I'm not disappointed by it anymore, and I'm not feeling backed into a corner or whatever. It's just a pretty huge unpleasant thing kind of looming over me. I don't need to explain specifically but I feel like there are no immediate consequences or dangers to worry about. It's just a thing now.

My question is, are there any people here that are depressed, that don't feel the need to try to get rid of it, like, they just plan on living the rest of their lives with it. Because seriously, it's such an intangible problem, that I can't even think of ways to combat it anymore, other than just not focusing on it and trying just to coexist with it.

#55 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

About fifteen years ago a dude told me on my first day at work that he had an 8 inch penis. Four months later he was arrested for molesting his daughter. He wasn't strange. He was fucked up.

#56 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@claude said:

Four months later he was arrested for molesting his daughter. He was fucked up.

That happens when people go to prison.

#57 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

@claude said:

Four months later he was arrested for molesting his daughter. He was fucked up.

That happens when people go to prison.

Yep, dat ass.

#58 Edited by Slag (4236 posts) -

So how can a guy that was pretty much handed a good life on a silver platter be depressed compared to a guy that started with very little and the little he had got taken away from him?

I just don't understand.

Sounds to me you need to learn how Depression actually works.

#59 Edited by ajamafalous (11957 posts) -

Because everything is relative. It's infuriating to me when people examine someone else's life and say "LOL YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING IN AFRICA #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS LOL" etc. Apparently your shitty life being slightly better than someone else's shitty life halfway across the world completely invalidates all right you've ever had to complain about anything ever.

Holy shit, I'm mad just thinking about it. Just one of those things that makes me fucking furious when people do it.

#60 Edited by IAmNotBatman (628 posts) -
@simplexity said:

So I was at my job today chilling out in the break room as there wasn't much to do really with 2 other co-workers, and I was listening in on their conversation and it left me fascinated.

One of them started talking about how he suffered from depression for a long time because his dad kept setting unrealistic expectations for him which he inevitably failed which then made him feel worthless and keeps complaining about random insignificant shit. and this other dude who is an immigrant from Afghanistan (we are in Norway for the record) listens to him and sympathizes and actually says he is glad he never had to go through what he did.

Now I know for a fact this immigrant dude has had a hard life to put it mildly, his dad was killed when he was 7 right in front of him, he was then forced to work like a dog for pennies to put food on the table for the family. Then the war on Taliban started and he had to flee the country, eventually crawling across the border through mud at the age of 12. He then eventually ended up in Norway without friends, family and any language skills or education. Where he then somehow crawled himself up to being accepted into one of the most prestigious secondary schools in the country.

So how can a guy that was pretty much handed a good life on a silver platter be depressed compared to a guy that started with very little and the little he had got taken away from him?

I just don't understand.

Part of depression is an inability to see things from another perspective. I see it as because modern life is so easy in many respects it is difficult to find a purpose or meaning in living anymore. We wake up, we eat, we work, we play, we sleep, we die. But why? Your life isn't innovative your just doing what someone else has done or thought before, so really, why bother?

#61 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1597 posts) -

@zeik said:

Because depression is a personal thing and doesn't go away just because in the back of your mind you know there are people out there that have it worse.

quoted for truth

#62 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

Because Afghanistan man is on a major upswing. He's gone through all that shit and grown up in it. Relatively he's won the lottery, everything's great and his living situation is awesome compared to what used to be normal for him. He has raised himself up and still see's more ladder to climb.

Other guy isn't seeing any higher rungs and right now in his life there's nothing for him to work toward to improve his situation that he can see. No matter what he tries he feels as if his situation isn't going to improve so all he can hope for is more of the same which he is not happy with or that something goes wrong and his life gets worse.

Super real question here guys, and please don't put me on blast or whatever. I've been trying really really hard to get over depression for like the last 8 years of my life. I mean, at this point, I'm not disappointed by it anymore, and I'm not feeling backed into a corner or whatever. It's just a pretty huge unpleasant thing kind of looming over me. I don't need to explain specifically but I feellike there are no immediate consequences or dangers to worry about. It's just a thing now.

My question is, are there any people here that are depressed, that don't feel the need to try to get rid of it, like, they just plan on living the rest of their lives with it. Because seriously, it's such an intangible problem, that I can't even think of ways to combat it anymore, other than just not focusing on it and trying just to coexist with it.

I get ya man, it sounds like you're in a pretty similar situation as me. I've just been trying to keep it out of mind and just living my life. Most everyone that knows me thinks I'm some happy go lucky guy but if it ever gets late at night and I'm by myself shit gets dark and I just try and shake it. I've had it for close to 15 years now, it's just a thing I try not to give any consciousness. I remember being 10 and staying up nights crying. I've always been real private and I've never told anyone, I doubt anyone even knows and that's fine with me - I don't want the sympathy. It's resulted in me being real detached though, I don't care about pretty much anything anymore. Not in the cool I don't care shit but literal apathy about everything. I dunno if it's the best way to go about it but whatever. I'm nearly 100 percent certain I'll be like this for the rest of my life, which sometimes flares up some depressive thoughts because of the above OT talk on that things can only stay the same or worse but I've been floating at this level for all this time, I guess I'll just float here for the rest of my life.

Lot's of people will tell you to go get help and all that, which I guess is a responsible thing to say but fuck it. If you personally think you can live with it then that's up to you but realise it might end up straining some relationships and other stuff in your life which could cause you to go further down the hole.

#63 Posted by spraynardtatum (2807 posts) -

Super real question here guys, and please don't put me on blast or whatever. I've been trying really really hard to get over depression for like the last 8 years of my life. I mean, at this point, I'm not disappointed by it anymore, and I'm not feeling backed into a corner or whatever. It's just a pretty huge unpleasant thing kind of looming over me. I don't need to explain specifically but I feellike there are no immediate consequences or dangers to worry about. It's just a thing now.

I know that feeling but for me it's not that I don't want to get better and it will never be about that. Depression is a draining illness and runs the gamete of making the most mundane to essential tasks seem pointless. My best advice to combat depression would be to stay active. Try and get out with friends and do new things and if you can't quite muster up the ability to be social stay active at home to. Exercise after playing video games or while you watch tv. I don't usually feel better instantaneously from doing this but it focuses your mind on something else and allows you to relax from the constant dwelling that depression causes.

Never just give up on trying to better yourself and never say that you want to even if you do.

#64 Posted by PolyesterKyle (137 posts) -

@spraynardtatum @phr4nk0 : Thanks a lot guys for some perspective on this thing. I actually really appreciate it and my heart goes out to you both. Thanks duders, I'll try my best to follow your advice.

#65 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

Well because it doesn't make sense. The suffering your immigrant coworker went through, while crappy, came from evil people and events he had no control over. Your mind can process that shit sucks and happens, but you can rise above. However your other coworker struggles because it doesn't make sense. How can someone who is supposed to love you and support you make you feel worthless?

#66 Posted by Brodehouse (9847 posts) -

One person is well adjusted to their situation and the other one isn't.