• 86 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Why? Now, this may sound strange but a lot my friends are interested in cars and I just saw Tokyo Deift which I loves but I just do t get what people find interesting about cars. I'm not saying opts bad I am just curious, because to me they are just thugs that take you from A to B. Help me understand!

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba
Why? Now, this may sound strange but a lot my friends are interested in cars and I just saw Tokyo Deift which I loves but I just do t get what people find interesting about cars. I'm not saying opts bad I am just curious, because to me they are just thugs that take you from A to B. Help me understand!
Can't edit, meant to say "Things" not "Thugs".
#3 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Ohhhhh Shiny

#4 Posted by Furyjoell (260 posts) -

There are so many reasons people love cars, the speed thing, the status thing etc. Personally I love tinkering with and fixing my car, I don't know why, I just enjoy it.

#5 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

  

  Slim Thug's rhymes will take you from A to B.
#6 Posted by Nikulas (23 posts) -

Have you ever driven a car like crazy, on a dirt track or somewere you can steam off with a car, its fucking awsome, the adrenaline pumping and the engine screaming.

#7 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I don't get the speed thing though, why spend money on a crazy fast car if you can only go on a certain speed legally?

#8 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

Cars so awesome,I mean you can fix them,crash them,drift them,wreck them,upgrade them,drive them,washing them,transform them and steal them,what's not to like?

#9 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Well not all guys likes nice cars, some really does though. Some gets a nice car because it attracts women to them and their gold digging instincts.

#10 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:

" I don't get the speed thing though, why spend money on a crazy fast car if you can only go on a certain speed legally? "

 closed tracks and certain countries(like Germany) have no speed limits.
#11 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -

Have you driven yet?  
 
 
Cars to me are something more than a machine, but not all cars, it's something more than it's parts, an extension of your body, when everything goes just right when you go for a drive through hills or around a coast, hitting every apex, all your senses firing back to you the vehicle responding swiftly to your every move,  
 
it's something, something more than machine, some cars feel like they have a soul,   

#12 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba:  
 
  
#13 Posted by BeachThunder (11278 posts) -

Cars are for jerks?

#14 Posted by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" I don't get the speed thing though, why spend money on a crazy fast car if you can only go on a certain speed legally? "
some people go over the speed limit, or live in Europe where they have highways with no limit, or they take their cars to tracks and drive them as fast as they want. 
#15 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Cars are for jerks? "
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Well not all guys likes nice cars, some really does though. Some gets a nice car because it attracts women to them and their gold digging instincts.

"
bullshit.
#16 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

i love my car some times i just want to hug it, it puts a smile on my face when i drive it and yea its pretty awesome so i do really like cars i like F1 i like rally i like Le mans races cars are in fact awesome

#17 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
  @Red12b:
i'd knew you would disagree mr. sensitive.
 
#18 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -

I didnt really get the thrill of driving or cars untill I started driving myself.
 
I cant really explain it, but there is something amazing about a nice car.

#19 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  
I don't give a shit about any youtube clips you find of comedians,  
 
chicks like cars as well, I have many friends in my car club who are women, and no before you slag them off as butch lesbians or something, they are gearheads but with style.
#20 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Red12b: i'm not calling them butch lesbians, i'm calling them gold diggers who likes material things.
#21 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -

You're exactly like my friend. And he has problems now because he didn't bother getting a license and now has absolutely no ID.
#22 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Red12b: i'm not calling them butch lesbians, i'm calling them gold diggers who likes material things. "
I'm not getting into this argument with you again, you have a warped view of women, that's your problem not mine,  
 
also...datsun 
 
  
#23 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

  

#24 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Red12b said:
"it's something, something more than machine, some cars feel like they have a soul,    "
This. 
 
Cars are beautiful, powerful, fun things that if you havent driven yet you are yet to experience. Driving for pleasure is so amazing. 
 
@HitmanAgent47: Your views on woman as "gold diggers" is wrong and pretty offencive.
#25 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@CptChiken said:
" @Red12b said:
"it's something, something more than machine, some cars feel like they have a soul,    "
This. 
 
Cars are beautiful, powerful, fun things that if you havent driven yet you are yet to experience. Driving for pleasure is so amazing. 

 
@HitmanAgent47: Your views on woman as "gold diggers" is wrong and pretty offencive. "
thank you, 
 
also, his views are skewed period, but, that's what makes him what he is. 
#26 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Red12b: Yeah and your mr. sensitive, mr. nice guy who finishes last and mr. politically correct. My views are true for certain women, almost every women who is older seems to be only interested in money. With money, they can get a good husband who can provide for her family later on. It's all biology and it's a fact that she won't go out with some broke guy who doesn't have a job.
#27 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Red12b: Yeah and your mr. sensitive, mr. nice guy who finishes last and mr. politically correct. My views are true for certain women, almost every women who is older seems to be only interested in money. With money, they can get a good husband who can provide for her family later on. It's all biology and it's a fact that she won't go out with some broke guy who doesn't have a job. "
I am not politically correct, I just respect women, unlike most of the internet aged socially inept people that diss women on forums.  
 
And that is totally wrong, one of my friends sister is living in a car with her boyfriend because she loves him, he's a scumbag but she likes him, for some reason,  
 
you have an incorrect view on social behaviour, and if that comes from personal experience I am truly sorry for you. 
 
I am not going to reply to you again in this thread, I would ask you to not derail it further. 
#28 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I'll talk about the topic, i'm not a car enthusist. I know my brother really likes cars and he was driving a corvette Z05. He really likes racing games and there are ppl like that, they like fast cars. However there are alot of ppl that are like me, sure I like fast cars, yet I don't love fast cars. They are a means to an end for me, to get from one place to another that looks good enough I am not embarassed about it. Maybe a nice car is fun to drive and a social status for alot of ppl. I'm just saying I like alot of ppl doesn't really care if my car isn't the fastest in the world. I also offered other possible explainations in this thread.

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9792 posts) -

I like cars. The go VROOM! 

#30 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Buying multiple cars just for collection purposes is an expensive hobby....I just want something that gets me from point A to B

#31 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Snowmobiles is where it's at.

#32 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: I am not very interested in normal road cars, I have much more interest in modified race cars, or prototype race cars. When I say modified I don't mean a "sick" Chrysler Neon with 19 inch rims, I'm talking something like this.. 
 

taken from rfactor, because it's the first pic in "My Images". 

 Something that pushes technology using the given resources to the limit. There are so many massive differences between the road version of these cars and the GT2 version you see above.
 
Regarding the cars you see on the road, I find them interesting but I'm not obsessed. People who know everything about every little detail of hundreds of cars honestly scare me. I can identify cars, but I couldn't tell you all of the different engines you could buy with it or anything like that. 
#33 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" Snowmobiles is where it's at. "
fuck yeah they are!
#34 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Shirogane

You're exactly like my friend. And he has problems now because he didn't bother getting a license and now has absolutely no ID.
Oh, I am definitely getting my license I was talking about people who go beyond the normal driving of getting from one place to another and are interested in cars but I think that when I start driving I will understand it more.
#35 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Shirogane

You're exactly like my friend. And he has problems now because he didn't bother getting a license and now has absolutely no ID.
Oh, I am definitely getting my license I was talking about people who go beyond the normal driving of getting from one place to another and are interested in cars but I think that when I start driving I will understand it more. "
come back once you get your licence and after a couple of years when you can drive for yourself, you are in Australia right?  
 
Go to the edge of the coast, and drive your car letting all your senses telling you what you're doing and how responsive the car handles,  
  
  
then come back here and reply to me that you don't love driving and your car. it can be in 2 years, i'll probably be away from here, but reply to my empty avatar and say that you don't know why people love cars 
#36 Posted by JJWeatherman (14486 posts) -

I love looking at cars. There are some truly beautiful works of art out there that just so happen to take the shape of a car.

#37 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

Men like power. Cars are powerful.

#38 Posted by wubb (277 posts) -

Guys like cars because many chicks are into sporty looking cars.   Your car is one area where you can spend a bunch of money and be sure everyone will see your status symbol.   Not saying that is why everyone who buys an expensive car does it, but it's certainly a reason for some.
 
Anyway, I've always had cheaper cars, but have driven a nice car a few times and it is a lot of fun to notice people turning their head to check it out or even flag you down to talk about the car.

#39 Posted by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -

It's just nice to have a car that's different or stand out sometimes. It gives you a little more personality. It's also like being in an unspoken "club". Someone else sees your car, thinks it's cool, randomly starts talking to you. It's a good feeling. There are actual clubs too, swap meets, shows, meet ups, cruises with multiple cars. Driving out to a show at 8 in the morning with 15 old cars in a row with every car that passes by looking and giving thumbs up is awesome. It's just fun.
 
My Cars


#40 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@wubb said:
"Guys like cars because many chicks are into sporty looking cars.   Your car is one area where you can spend a bunch of money and be sure everyone will see your status symbol.   Not saying that is why everyone who buys an expensive car does it, but it's certainly a reason for some. Anyway, I've always had cheaper cars, but have driven a nice car a few times and it is a lot of fun to notice people turning their head to check it out or even flag you down to talk about the car. "

thanks, i'm glad someone else agrees with that point.
#41 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

I don't give a shit about cars. Yet I still watch Top Gear.

#42 Posted by gla55jAw (2682 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @wubb said:
"Guys like cars because many chicks are into sporty looking cars.   Your car is one area where you can spend a bunch of money and be sure everyone will see your status symbol.   Not saying that is why everyone who buys an expensive car does it, but it's certainly a reason for some. Anyway, I've always had cheaper cars, but have driven a nice car a few times and it is a lot of fun to notice people turning their head to check it out or even flag you down to talk about the car. "
thanks, i'm glad someone else agrees with that point. "
Or maybe guys just like cars because they think they look cool, or it's their hobby, or because they like fixing things. Do you seriously think guys think "Oh man when I get this I'm finally going to get chicks!" It sounds like a cheesy 80's teen movie.
#43 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9792 posts) -

VROOOM!

#44 Posted by ape_dosmil (514 posts) -
The same reason anyone is in to anything. Everyone's a geek about something. Some guys are in to collecting old vinyl, other guys are in to cars or arcade cabinets or whatever. I have no real interest in cars other than as a mode of transport but I have plenty of other geeky interests so I totally understand what it's about.
 
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Well not all guys likes nice cars, some really does though. Some gets a nice car because it attracts women to them and their gold digging instincts.

"
You really are some piece of work. I would call you a misogynist, but having read enough of your ramblings I think you're more of a misanthrope. You just hate everyone. It's pathetic.
#45 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -

I love the technology behind the cars whenever something new pops up.  However I'll be honest, I never will find an interest in driving fast with a car or living and breathing the car life all day long without a care in the world.  There are more important things for me to do to even care about the simplistic thrill of speeding in a fast vehicle.

#46 Posted by wubb (277 posts) -
@gla55jAw said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
" @wubb said:
"Guys like cars because many chicks are into sporty looking cars.   Your car is one area where you can spend a bunch of money and be sure everyone will see your status symbol.   Not saying that is why everyone who buys an expensive car does it, but it's certainly a reason for some. Anyway, I've always had cheaper cars, but have driven a nice car a few times and it is a lot of fun to notice people turning their head to check it out or even flag you down to talk about the car. "
thanks, i'm glad someone else agrees with that point. "
Or maybe guys just like cars because they think they look cool, or it's their hobby, or because they like fixing things. Do you seriously think guys think "Oh man when I get this I'm finally going to get chicks!" It sounds like a cheesy 80's teen movie. "
Perhaps I was too vague, but that would be one motivation for getting a pricey car, certainly not the only motivation.
#47 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Anyone who is truly a car enthusiast is not in it for the "chicks".  The guys who go out and buys a BMW but cannot even tell me what engine is in it, he is not a car enthusiast he just likes the bling factor to pick up "chicks".  People who really like cars just have a connection with them i think.  Just like some people are drawn to video games or anything else.  I know for me it started running tools for my cousin who drag raced his v8 s10.  I remember when we would take it out after he made some tweaks and testing it out and the road behind the house leaving huge black marks down the road....it was awesome lol.  Then when i got old enough to drive it was all i wanted to do.  And its not all about going fast its about self expression.  I can take something that looks like everyone else's and make it stand out. 
     The actual driving is very fun when done in a safe environment, pushing your car to the limits and feeling the limits is fun, its just like a dirt bike or snowmobile or any other vehicle, u can have fun with it.
      To the people who say that guys like them because of girls you are wrong, at lease about people who really are car enthusiasts.  But im not going to say i don't like it when a girls tells me she likes my Lexus.  

#48 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

I hate having to pay for driving, it sucks. It takes away money I could spend on video games.

#49 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I like cars. However, I don't know all the minor details about them, and their internal components don't interest me much. People who can give exact engine codes and stuff are truly incredible to meet, because it's the kind of information that must take some time to learn. I find cars appeal to me aesthetically, and driving in itself is something that is likely a pleasure... in the right situation. I can't see sitting in the middle of a traffic jam would be incredibly fun, but the experience beforehand would likely make up for that disappointing aspect.  
 
Cars appeal to everyone, on different levels. To a degree I can understand HitmanAgent47's stance - some people really only want an expensive car as a method of getting women. However, it's a stance that the majority of people don't take. It's a stance I cannot understand. Some people like cars for the speeds they can reach, the engines they have, or simply due to the badge they sport. Then there are people who like cars for their customisability. Usually, they can take something that looks exactly the same as every other model on the road and make it truly unique. Everyone can enjoy a car that appeals to them. Personally speaking I enjoy cars full stop. Some models more than others, and some designs again, more than others. For example, I think the BMW M5 E39 is an infinitely better looking car than the E60. People who know more about the engines will find some reason that the E39 falls behind again, and so on. Cars are something people can be passionate about, and due to the fact they have been around since the turn of the 20th Century, they're socially acceptable around all but Greenpeace and their ilk. Unlike video games, which are seen as 'bad' by some people, but I won't get into that. 

#50 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Because you can go fast in them and look cool driving nice ones. That seems like a valid reason to me.