People who love their jobs chime in!

• 93 results
ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I work in a warehouse doing receiving/accounts payable. I spend 6 hours a day scanning/counting in merchandise and 2-4 hours a day paying those invoices. I have one assistant (of my choice and she is awesome) and laugh and joke with my fellow employees and the great truck drivers that deliver while I do the menial task of checking product. This also gives me plenty of time to go off in my head and chill. Then a few hours of entering invoices while listening to thrash metal/bombcasts/audiobooks. On Saturday there are only a few deliveries and then time to audit my work and check for outstanding invoices, incorrect purchase orders,false charges, data errors (upc or sku mismatches) or the like while listening to thrash metal/bombcasts/audiobooks. Good job for a nerdy introvert that pays ok.

As for how I landed this job, it is kind of shitty. I was just a worker at this company when my boss asked me to fill in for the guy who works my position as he was taking a 3 month leave of absence due to stress from work. They told me it would take about a month to learn. Numbers and pattern recognition are second nature to me so I learned it in 4 days. Within 2 weeks I had a plan to cut labor from 3 full time to 2 full time employees. In the first 2 months I increased scan accuracy, eliminated out of period payments, generated a time study to cut down on wasted hours, and helped create a training file that was posted on the company website to remove the need for weeks of expensive regional training visits that is now used throughout the region I work in. The guy was let go for reasons I am not sure of but probably pertain to the yelling I heard coming from the boss's office when he returned.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm the President.

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By joey2683

I work IT in a hospital and go to school full time. It's a non-profit origination that currently has six hospitals in the region. I work at their main hospital which was constructed two years ago and cost $500,000,000 to build. Most of my job involves me running around and fixing hardware and software issues. The biggest motivator is making the medical staff and patients happy. It doesn't matter how crappy the day or situation is because it all trickles down to patient care. Seeing a smile on patients face is all it takes to make my day. It's a good job, but I don't love it because my interest fall under something more creative such as videogames/video production.

I got into the job by starting at a position with minimal qualifications, medical records. There are plenty of positions in nutrition services, environmental services where you can get your start as well.

I don't know if I would count it as a job, but I also do mission work on the side for areas in need such as Haiti(Earthquake), Ethiopia, Oklahoma(Tornadoes) Getting involved basically requires 1.Getting involved with an organization(Red Cross, local church, Samaritans Purse, 2.Raising money to pay for the trip(You'd be surprised how generous people are) 3.Getting vaccinations and medication for the destination you are visiting.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm an engineering manager for a small company. We have a pretty small team and everyone gets along. It's rad.Plus I work with explosives. Also rad.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Turambar

I am essentially paid to help facilitate discussions and debate between high school kids on historical and social issues at a maturity level dramatically higher than adults twice their age have managed on the internet. It's pretty great.

Beerbaron17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm a baker for a local chain of donut shops. I work overnights by myself wich is great. I don't have to deal with any co-workers or customers! It's just me and my earbuds listening to podcasts and making yummy treats. I love the overnights as it lets me be home with my daughter and wife every afternoon/ evening.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By BatmanBatman

I work at a big IT company, I'm sorta of a Shift Lead, jack of all trades kinda guy there. I can't say I love the job itself (I certainly don't hate it though) but I love the people I work with. I'm still thinking on what will be my next step professionally, but I'm cool where I am for now.

Before I used to do Drywalls with my dad and that was kinda fun...

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Another bookstore worker here! Been there for almost five years now, two of them I have been what I guess is sort of an assistant manager. There are three of us "main employees". My boss handles the day to day stuff that a boss must do, and she also knows more about travel, cooking and health. My co-worker runs the children and youth section, which she is awesome at. And I run the fiction and non-fiction. We are part of one of the big Norwegian chains, and the store is kind of big. And I love it!

Mostly because it is super fun, I love to read and I got customers who compliment me and the store weekly. Which is really nice, seeing how I started there just to see if my back could handle it. Had an injury almost 9 years ago, where I broke my spine. Can still only work 80% though. My boss is awesome, first for taking a chance on hiring me, then for wanting me to stay.

The only bad thing I can think of right now is this: I cannot get the books by Dan Ryckert, as none of our suppliers carry them.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: I guess if you are wiring up buildings for businesses, I would consider that commercial. Residential would be homes and such. Industrial would be in manufacturing environments.

I learned real quick to make friends with the people wiring up my systems. It's much more likely that they will correct my design mistakes without complaint instead of just pointing them out to others.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@turambar said:

I am essentially paid to help facilitate discussions and debate between high school kids on historical and social issues at a maturity level dramatically higher than adults twice their age have managed on the internet. It's pretty great.

I'm a high school English teacher. Feels like I should be doing something similar, but this greater maturity thing has eluded many of my students so far. Now I'd love to hear that you actually work as a counselor at a prison.

Got my job by graduating college with an English Major and going to grad school for a Masters in Secondary Teaching. I was very lucky that after two weeks of sending out lots of applications I got an inroad at this school, did well in the interview, and got the job.

It's hard some days, but I never feel like I'm in the wrong place. It's a good place to be.

kingclip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work for a major league baseball team. I get paid to go to baseball games and give my opinions on baseball players. Beyond that, my employer is incredible with great benefits. Wake me up when this dream is over.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Right now I'm doing a programming internship part time after classes every day. It's not super glamorous programming (for an insurance company), but I really do enjoy coding.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I work as a greens-keeper at a private golf course during the summers in between college semesters. Working there for the last four summers has been some of the best times I have had in my life. The pay isn't that great for the amount and kind of work you do and the hours are fairly harsh (I work six days a week with a start time of 5:30 AM at the latest). However, the people I work with/for and just the work in general I find really enjoyable despite the negatives that go with the job. The fact that this coming summer will probably be the last summer I work there is really depressing to me. It may not be the type of job that my professional "career" will be focused on but it will always be one of my favorite, if not the favorite, jobs I have ever had.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats to you guys. These seem like great jobs. I'll uh... I'll be back some time in the future, hopefully.

Avatar image for evanfrancisrogers
evanfrancisrogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my job! I have Etsy shop that sells simple rings. I don't have to work very much each day and I have enough money for my expenses and my hobbies.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix778m: Are you accessing the internet from another time? Perhaps with a past-future computer, powered by cream?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think I'll be very happy with my job if I get it (within the next few days). I'll be a grocery replenishment clerk. A job with a simple task: restock shelves, low stress and minimal contact with customers. Mmmm.

If all goes well, PS4, here I come.

If it's anything like what I went through, prepare for the worst. I'm a grocery clerk, but I don't see the light at the end tunnel. I don't necessarily hate my job nor enjoy it, but its something to keep money in my pocket. I've been having bad luck lately for some reason. Dealing with random bullshit on the job, and now a lady I tried to have sex with at a stripclub seen me at my job...life is one unfair bastard.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a baker for a local chain of donut shops.

I'm jealous.

I don't have a fulltime job, I do male circumcisions and grade freshmen in medicine on their experiments and I'm a tutor in english, math and biology. I like teaching. You feel accomplished when you helped your students go from to E/D to A's in their classes. But you can't tutor them anymore if you've taught them too well...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Turambar
@kierkegaard said:

@turambar said:

I'm a high school English teacher. Feels like I should be doing something similar, but this greater maturity thing has eluded many of my students so far. Now I'd love to hear that you actually work as a counselor at a prison.

Got my job by graduating college with an English Major and going to grad school for a Masters in Secondary Teaching. I was very lucky that after two weeks of sending out lots of applications I got an inroad at this school, did well in the interview, and got the job.

It's hard some days, but I never feel like I'm in the wrong place. It's a good place to be.

I did think about going into social work, but nope. And to be fair, the maturity bar isn't set very high when compared to the likes of twitter. Being able to set the ground rules of demanding mutual respect and always assuming best intent goes a long way to ensuring all discussions are civil, no matter how excited and emotional.

That said, I actually work as an AVID teacher right now (a Boys and Girls Club college preparatory program that is fully integrated into public schools) instead of a full on social studies teacher. I'm actually leaving the program and moving into full time subbing for the city and three nearby districts starting next semester to help give myself more of an inroad. I love the work, but the pay simply isn't there.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always filled with nothing but hatred and disgust of the human race at my job. It's good to know that there are people out there that like their job, but at the same time, I get super envious and pissed off hearing about it. I need to stop reading this now.

I will say this. This is actually a good idea for a post. I hope I can find a job where I can at least not hate every second of it.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another bookstore worker here! Been there for almost five years now, two of them I have been what I guess is sort of an assistant manager. There are three of us "main employees". My boss handles the day to day stuff that a boss must do, and she also knows more about travel, cooking and health. My co-worker runs the children and youth section, which she is awesome at. And I run the fiction and non-fiction. We are part of one of the big Norwegian chains, and the store is kind of big. And I love it!

Mostly because it is super fun, I love to read and I got customers who compliment me and the store weekly. Which is really nice, seeing how I started there just to see if my back could handle it. Had an injury almost 9 years ago, where I broke my spine. Can still only work 80% though. My boss is awesome, first for taking a chance on hiring me, then for wanting me to stay.

The only bad thing I can think of right now is this: I cannot get the books by Dan Ryckert, as none of our suppliers carry them.

Coolness bookstore bro! Just curious, for you guys what sections sell the best? For us it's kids, religion and fiction.

Also not exactly our top money maker (yet), but in the last year our sales of our used vinyl have doubled.

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work as a technical draftsman for a small engineering and digital modeling company. I love working in CAD and most of my job revolves around doing fun stuff like photogrammetry and playing with leica point cloud scanners. We dabble in just about everything from residential stone and glass all the way to big offshore oil and gas operations so there's a ton of variety. Being part of a small team that has grown the company from the ground up is a great feeling, i've got a lot of pride when i look back over all the projects we've done over the years.

There's just so much going with 3D CAD these days, it's an exciting area to be in. If you've got a knack for visualising 3D spaces it's surprising just what industries you can find yourself working in.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@falserelic: Dude, why...? Why would you -- I don't... That's just mean.

Like, I have no illusions about working as a grocery clerk. It ain't gonna be glorious, but money's money and the job's part time. I feel I could put up with almost any work-related bull for 4 hours at a time. I'm good at putting my head down and just zoning it out; I worked as a dishwasher for two years, I've been around the shit-block a few times.

Plus, I don't have any awkward missed sex opportunities in my past. :P

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ripelivejam

Im happy that i HAVE my job, but getting more and more intimidated every day i go into work isn't helping my psyche much. Wish there were a way to mind meld and leech the knowledge from my coworkers. I have a bad time trying to learn and keep up.

But again, im thankful and am trying to stay positive. Attitude counts. :)

E: btw if someone knows some good crash courses to learn, and i mean REALLY LEARN and build some skills in linux and system administration, i'm all ears. Keep in mind i'm the rookiest of rookies atm.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually quite enjoy being a pizza delivery driver. The place I work for is pretty popular but also pricey so I often don't have to take huge numbers of deliveries at a time, so the job is pretty low stress. I pretty much just either do dishes and chat with coworkers or drive around listening to music so it is pretty sweet in my opinion. I have a friend who works for Dominos and from the stories I hear I totally understand how much it must suck to work for a big chain or super cheap place but driving for my pizza place is awesome. My place even closes at 9 every night so it works perfectly while I go to university.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@belegorm said:

@jaqen_hghar said:

Coolness bookstore bro! Just curious, for you guys what sections sell the best? For us it's kids, religion and fiction.

Also not exactly our top money maker (yet), but in the last year our sales of our used vinyl have doubled.

Kids and fiction, hands down. History also does very well before Christmas, as a lot of new books regarding WW2 is released these months every year.

Damn, you work in one of those really cool bookstores! We don't even buy used books...

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Dude, why...? Why would you -- I don't... That's just mean.

Like, I have no illusions about working as a grocery clerk. It ain't gonna be glorious, but money's money and the job's part time. I feel I could put up with almost any work-related bull for 4 hours at a time. I'm good at putting my head down and just zoning it out; I worked as a dishwasher for two years, I've been around the shit-block a few times.

Plus, I don't have any awkward missed sex opportunities in my past. :P

I understand.

All I'm saying is there will be alot of stuff on the job that will annoy you overtime...even small things. After awhile my patience slowly decreased as time went on. The more I worked there I started to hate it more and more. I definitely don't want to be in this years down the line, making shit money at that. Co-Workers of mine that's been working at my job for years. Warned me that this job isn't worth the struggle and I see what they mean.

I've been seeing people quit left and right, I even seen people quit on their second day. As for me I can't afford to quit just yet, but when that time comes I'll have everything ready for my departure. I don't won't to end up going to stripclubs or drinking to take my mind off of stress, all because of this job. The job itself is fine for a teenage, but as an adult I really need more money or a second job.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an animator. I've worked in game studios and am currently doing the freelance thing. It has it's ups and downs, but I love helping make video games.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrrael said:

I'm always filled with nothing but hatred and disgust of the human race at my job. It's good to know that there are people out there that like their job, but at the same time, I get super envious and pissed off hearing about it. I need to stop reading this now.

I will say this. This is actually a good idea for a post. I hope I can find a job where I can at least not hate every second of it.

Thats why I made this thread. I've been there and in some ways I still am but I've seen lots of great ideas for jobs here. Take what you read, look into them, cook up ideas of your own from there, and most importantly remind yourself through it all there's hope.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

My job isn't glamorous but I dig it. I work as a Senior Call Advisor in a call center for a major tool hire company in the UK. Basically, I don't *quite* manage a team, I'm more of an aid to the Team manager. It involves a lot of taking phone calls and dealing directly with customers but it's all inbound and problem solving. I know some people would find this just about the fucking worst, but man, after my last two jobs in outbound cold-calling centers, it's a godsend.
As far as my capacity for putting up with bullshit, I worked as a manager in a McDonalds for 6 years. To be fair, McD's isn't the worst gig in the world (see the aforementioned cold-calling) but after 6 years in a small town with no other opportunity for work...? Yeah, I think I did my time.

I currently have an ongoing military application and people have told me I should steel myself for hating that too but honestly, with my experience, any job that doesn't make me feel like a scummy person is fine by me,

Kevaina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a graduate student doing my Master's degree in Health Studies, and while it doesn't exactly count as a "job," I absolutely love it. I spend my time researching ways to improve the mental health care system in Canada, which has been fulfilling for me in so many ways. I mean, not only do I get to have the mental challenge of research and statistical analysis, but at the end of the day, what I am doing contributes towards improving the lives of many stigmatized, vulnerable people in our society, which is a really good feeling. Overall, I am really happy at this point in my career (though I am excited for the day that I start getting paid well for what I do!)

Mittt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I teach high school theatre. I absolutely love it. My job lets me use my mind, my hands, my creativity, and my heart every day.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

@jaqen_hghar said:

Kids and fiction, hands down. History also does very well before Christmas, as a lot of new books regarding WW2 is released these months every year.

Damn, you work in one of those really cool bookstores! We don't even buy used books...

It's a real cool store! Recently people have sold us stuff like Shenmue, a Sega Saturn, and Baldur's Gate. I think the used books/media are what keeps us around even with a lot of people reading ebooks.

History does a lot better for us before Christmas as well, as well as art books. Pretty much all the books you'd get as presents for people you don't really know :P

Fiction doesn't do as well as you'd think because most people like the pocket paperbacks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b03d668aaf12
deactivated-5b03d668aaf12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my job!

I work at a small animation studio that focuses on 3d and Flash animation. it's only my second job in the industry and Im very lucky to have it. I don't feel super comfortable saying what we've produced but there are a lot of shows we've worked on, some have even had their games Quick Looked on Giant bomb!

Because we're a small team, we get lots of different contracts and help out other studios in various ways. because of this, I get to fill multiple roles on some projects. My most frequent jobs are storyboarding and character/prop/environment design.

I moved to Vancouver a while after high school, and was mostly taught traditional (hand-drawn, 2D) animation, but moved on to a year of 3D afterwards. I got hired because of my experience in 3D, since knowing how to design for 3D is an important skill.

I love being able to draw every day, and being surrounded by an awesome group of people is a really good motivator. I'm paid pretty well compared to other artists in town, and I'd like to keep going with this and perhaps make the leap to designing for games in the next couple of years.

Keep up the good work everyone!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By NTM

I don't 'love' my job, but I don't hate it or dislike it either. It's totally fine. I work at a club house, which is a five minute walk away from my house. I clean and fix things... I guess I could be considered a janitor, though I hate that name. I get paid 15 dollars an hour, and my boss has been talking about a raise, so it's not bad. Everyone that's there is nice too as far as I know, and it seems they all appreciate my work, which is always nice. An older woman also gave me this nice computer I'm using right now too, for free, so that's great.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Software developer. The fact that something I found I liked as a kid (coding on a C-64) turned into a decent and lucrative career still amazes me.

Elikazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Production editor for one of the Big Four book publishers. I knew I wanted to work with books, just not in what capacity. One of my graduate school professors found an internship that looked perfect on paper to me, helped me secure it (and set up my thesis around it), and at the end of the internship the company hired me to continue doing the same kind of work. I'm responsible for how my books look before printing - layout, formatting, coding, etc. It's actually a lot of fun and every book is a unique challenge so there's no boredom. Bonus points for my coworkers being awesome and a little bit crazy (I'm looking at you, whoever decided to create that Dothraki language guide!).

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

2 words..... "OVER TIME." I just landed a simple gig photoshoping images but I get paid over time and now working over 60 hours a day and the pay check looks NICE!!!!!!! Although my body feels like it's tense and I only sleep and play animal crossing on breaks.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the last 3 weeks I have been paid to watch 140 episodes of One Piece.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a freight train conductor for Union Pacific and I fly UAVs in the National Guard. After I'm done with school I want to (hopefully) enter the game industry or the Aerospace industry to design future UAV technology.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Explain. lol

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

@hunter5024 said:

Explain. lol

I'm a security guard at a museum, and we just installed a multi-million dollar exhibit that requires 24 hour surveillance, which means someone gets to sit in the lobby by themselves all night. I spend that time doing dumb shit on my laptop like homework, watching anime, and posting this.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@falserelic: I feel like we've turned this thread into "those melancholic about their jobs, chime in!" Sorry, OP.

Seriously though, that sounds rough. That's pretty much what happened to me as a dishwasher, but I luckily left on good terms. Hopefully, this upcoming job - decent or not - can be as temporary as I'm planning it to be.