• 82 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

For those of you outside the US or who don't follow American college football, Auburn releases a Bald Eagle named Spirit or a Golden Eagle named Nova to circle the stadium before every home game in front of nearly 90,000 fans. It's really an amazing spectacle, and one of them even flew at the opening ceremony of the 2002 olympic games

Last week when they hosted Mississippi State, Spirit had his first accident in history. He crashed into the plexi-glass of a luxury press box. The bald eagle was unharmed and continued his flight after the crash, landing on the 50 yard line like always.

Here's the video:

Spirit was found in the wild with a damaged beak and damaged wing. Auburn's Raptor center helped him recover, but the beak was damaged too much for him to be rereleased into the wild. Auburn uses these injured raptors to raise awareness on conservation of animals.

Well after over a decade of flights, PETA has now gotten involved and wants them to stop, saying it's cruel.

This is the same group of people that euthanizes hordes of animals every year without even attempting to find them a home...

I'm a long time Auburn fan and graduate. So this pissed me off.

I have just 3 words for PETA: Chicken, Fried, Steak.

/endrant

#1 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

For those of you outside the US or who don't follow American college football, Auburn releases a Bald Eagle named Spirit or a Golden Eagle named Nova to circle the stadium before every home game in front of nearly 90,000 fans. It's really an amazing spectacle, and one of them even flew at the opening ceremony of the 2002 olympic games

Last week when they hosted Mississippi State, Spirit had his first accident in history. He crashed into the plexi-glass of a luxury press box. The bald eagle was unharmed and continued his flight after the crash, landing on the 50 yard line like always.

Here's the video:

Spirit was found in the wild with a damaged beak and damaged wing. Auburn's Raptor center helped him recover, but the beak was damaged too much for him to be rereleased into the wild. Auburn uses these injured raptors to raise awareness on conservation of animals.

Well after over a decade of flights, PETA has now gotten involved and wants them to stop, saying it's cruel.

This is the same group of people that euthanizes hordes of animals every year without even attempting to find them a home...

I'm a long time Auburn fan and graduate. So this pissed me off.

I have just 3 words for PETA: Chicken, Fried, Steak.

/endrant

#2 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Yeah, PETA is pretty fucked up.

#3 Edited by IBurningStar (2145 posts) -

How many PETA members does it take to change a lightbulb?
 
None, because PETA can't change anything.

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

I'm a vegetarian and PETA is fucked up.

#5 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Eating dead flesh is not sexy.

#6 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I'm kidding of course. It's incredibly sexy.

#7 Posted by louiedog (2330 posts) -

Ignoring any arguments being made here, elsewhere, or in the past about PETA there is something that I need to say. "PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals" is extremely old, lazy, and stupid. Seriously, can't people please try and think up a new joke? It's like year 8 of Bush's presidency when people were still calling him Shrub. You have a brain, use it. Put a little bit of effort into your mockery please.

#8 Posted by bybeach (4596 posts) -

PETA has traditionally done a poor job of advancing it's message. I don't know why, maybe movie stars are involved.

#9 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

I have never seen that before, but goddamn that was incredible. The atmosphere in the stadium looked amazing.

#10 Posted by LetsRockBaby (241 posts) -

Pfft. Fuck PETA.

Eatin' dat meat erry day.

#11 Posted by Random88 (281 posts) -

That looked cool and it's good that the bird isn't injured. PETA can get to Fuck.

#12 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@louiedog said:

Ignoring any arguments being made here, elsewhere, or in the past about PETA there is something that I need to say. "PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals" is extremely old, lazy, and stupid. Seriously, can't people please try and think up a new joke? It's like year 8 of Bush's presidency when people were still calling him Shrub. You have a brain, use it. Put a little bit of effort into your mockery please.

I've never, ever heard anybody call Bush 'Shrub'.

#13 Posted by Sauson (560 posts) -

Fuck PETA

#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:

I'm a vegetarian 

#15 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

Watch the penn and teller show of PETA, mind BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWING.

#16 Posted by Gumby (229 posts) -

@amir90: Watched not too long ago! Kinda crazy that they compare the holocaust to the way livestock is handled...Well, it's really crazy. And offensive.

Though feeding a chicken chicken (:D) is pretty fucked up too...

#17 Posted by joachimo (193 posts) -

Think I'm gonna go cook my steak dinner now.

#18 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

MAN American football is so fucking dumb

#19 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

@shinigami420: MAN, you're a fucking troll

#20 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@shinigami420 said:

MAN American football is so fucking dumb

I'm sure there's a lot of people here who think association football is dumb too.

Some people enjoy full-contact sports that require strength, strategy, and constant attention to making adjustments - like American Football.

Other people enjoy non-contact sports that require stamina, coordination, and athleticism - like Association Football.

There's no point in insulting people who don't like the same sports as you do. It's just opinion.

#21 Posted by Dtat (1621 posts) -

They use a real bald eagle? like the insanely endangered ones? Hmm maybe they should use a different bird.

#22 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@Dtat said:

They use a real bald eagle? like the insanely endangered ones? Hmm maybe they should use a different bird.

There's two birds. Nova(Golden Eagle) is the official War Eagle VII. He was born in Auburn's Raptor Center.

Spirit(Bald Eagle) was found injured in the wild. He had an injured beak and wing. He recovered, but his beak was so badly damaged that rereleasing him into the wild would likely result in his death, since he won't be able to defend himself or hunt as efficiently.

#23 Posted by hinderk (681 posts) -

@Dtat: Bald eagles are not currently endangered.

#24 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

@Dtat said:

They use a real bald eagle? like the insanely endangered ones? Hmm maybe they should use a different bird.

The bald eagle isn't endangered. Link.

#25 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Peta loves animals but not humans. That is why they are a group that should never, ever be taken seriously.

#26 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -

@oatz said:

Peta loves animals but not humans. That is why they are a group that should never, ever be taken seriously.

Agreed. They funded the firebombings of the Michigan State animal research lab.

#27 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

If an eagle breaks his beak naturally, should he be retired from nature?

#28 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Fuck Peta.

Go Football.

The End.

#29 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Atomasist said:

@Dtat said:

They use a real bald eagle? like the insanely endangered ones? Hmm maybe they should use a different bird.

The bald eagle isn't endangered. Link.

True. My hometown in Washington state is literally swarming with bald eagles. If they're 'insanely endangered', someone forgot to tell them.

#30 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

That's awesome. There's something special about pride in your school and cheering on your NCAA team. I love the grand scale of it all. It's something I never got to experience, and I truly wish I did. I also love that one school that has a dog that retrieves the tee after kickoff.

#31 Posted by Commando (1877 posts) -
#32 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1417 posts) -

fuck peta

#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6935 posts) -
@TheVeteran13

@shinigami420: MAN, you're a fucking troll

Agreed. I've never seen an intelligent comment with his name on it.
#34 Edited by amir90 (2134 posts) -

@Gumby said:

@amir90: Watched not too long ago! Kinda crazy that they compare the holocaust to the way livestock is handled...Well, it's really crazy. And offensive.

Though feeding a chicken chicken (:D) is pretty fucked up too...

Penn and Teller is are epic.

The only thing they have ever been corrected, to my knowledge, is 2nd hand smoking (which they admitted, which shows they are humble :))

American footbal is okey, I guess rubgy is tougher :o

#35 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@Commando:

Ouch.

#36 Posted by mikethekilla (327 posts) -

I wonder what PETA thinks of Epic Meal Time.

#37 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1326 posts) -

I am all for treating animals well, but the way PETA goes about achieving that is fucked up. And they need to realize eating meat is healthy and natural, and millions of human lives have been saved from animal research.

#38 Posted by dudeglove (7240 posts) -

So their Super Tofu Boy thing failed miserably - now they're after eagles? Who is PETA run by anyway?

#39 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

Is it just me, or did someone else find something oddly strange about a stadium full of people cheering on a flapping bird? I don't know, something about that seemed off...

#40 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

PETA are a bunch of people who support something I generally believe in but do it in such a shitty, mind boggling way that I don't really want them to succeed. I'd rather give my time and money to the RSPCA or something like that.

#41 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@HandsomeDead this exactly.
#42 Posted by KarmaPoliceman (143 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

PETA are a bunch of people who support something I generally believe in but do it in such a shitty, mind boggling way that I don't really want them to succeed. I'd rather give my time and money to the RSPCA or something like that.

Pretty much my opinion on both PETA and Greenpeace...

However I don't really think what they are doing here is extreme. They saw a bald eagle do something that could leave it rather badly injured and raised some concerns. That's kinda their job, and as long as they don't go and smuggle the eagle out of their then they are entitled to that opinion.

Now you also seem to be claiming PETA doesn't care about animals because, and I quote. "This is the same group of people that euthanizes hordes of animals every year without even attempting to find them a home... Read thisThere is a lot of reasons to dislike PETA, like you know, the firebombing... but that isn't one of them.

To be honest the eagle as a mascot seems kind of lame and unnecessary anyway.

#43 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

I'm vegetarian but don't agree with most of what PETA do. Fuck them. SAYING THAT, this bird mascot is fucking stupid. Okay, so it can't be released into the wild because it's disabled. So force it to fly around a huge stadium for 90,000 terrifying, noisy humans every game? Thats not a natural thing for an eagle to do. It's fucked up. While I don't like PETA, good on them for calling shit like this out. There's plenty of ways to be symbolic and get people enthused without taking advantage of animals.

#44 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

there are legitimate causes of animal cruelty out there that are straight up disgusting, but fuck peta. i'm gonna eat bacon and it's gonna be delicious.

#45 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

I'm vegetarian but don't agree with most of what PETA do. Fuck them. SAYING THAT, this bird mascot is fucking stupid. Okay, so it can't be released into the wild because it's disabled. So force it to fly around a huge stadium for 90,000 terrifying, noisy humans every game? Thats not a natural thing for an eagle to do. It's fucked up. While I don't like PETA, good on them for calling shit like this out. There's plenty of ways to be symbolic and get people enthused without taking advantage of animals.

If it's not actually bothered by it, who cares if it's not "natural". What isn't "natural" is us helping it in the first place.

#46 Posted by MikeinSC (889 posts) -

@KarmaPoliceman said:

@HandsomeDead said:

PETA are a bunch of people who support something I generally believe in but do it in such a shitty, mind boggling way that I don't really want them to succeed. I'd rather give my time and money to the RSPCA or something like that.

Pretty much my opinion on both PETA and Greenpeace...

However I don't really think what they are doing here is extreme. They saw a bald eagle do something that could leave it rather badly injured and raised some concerns. That's kinda their job, and as long as they don't go and smuggle the eagle out of their then they are entitled to that opinion.

Now you also seem to be claiming PETA doesn't care about animals because, and I quote. "This is the same group of people that euthanizes hordes of animals every year without even attempting to find them a home... Read thisThere is a lot of reasons to dislike PETA, like you know, the firebombing... but that isn't one of them.

To be honest the eagle as a mascot seems kind of lame and unnecessary anyway.

They euthanize several times more animals than they save. Sorry, don't buy that they are all deformed or horribly injured. Doubt it's even half.

#47 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

That is one cool bird, glad he didn't get hurt.

Also, PETA can fuck off. They suck.

#48 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I'm a vegetarian

I am not vegetarian because I love animals, I am vegetarian because I hate them.

#49 Posted by dbz1995 (4786 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton: As in the taste of them, or something else?
#50 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

@dbz1995: Taste but I always find it funny when people think that meat disgusts me, I am quite apathetic to killing animals for food.