• 69 results
#1 Edited by wonderva (101 posts) -

For those not knowing what this challenge is, basically you have 24 hours to dump a bucket full of ice and water on your head or you will have to donate $100 to the ALS foundation (Commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease in America), however most celebrities do both to raise awareness! http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html

It's great to see not only movie/film celebrities take apart of this challenge, but game industry ones too! Hopefully Shuhei Yoshida (from Sony), Reggie Fils-Aime (from Nintendo) and Gabe Newell (from Valve) all partake in the fun!

#2 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

IT BEGINS

#3 Posted by SunBroZak (1292 posts) -

This better lead to Adam Boyes being challenged.

#4 Edited by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

I've edited your title to make it clear that this is about the ice bucket challenge and not directly related to video games (I appreciate the vague title probably wasn't intentional and was due to the 60 character limit, but it should be more clear).

#5 Posted by wonderva (101 posts) -

@mattyftm said:

I've edited your title to make it clear that this is about the ice bucket challenge and not directly related to video games (I appreciate the vague title probably wasn't intentional and was due to the 60 character limit, but it should be more clear).

Oh thanks! Still new to the posting rules on this forum and not sure if my thread was video game related or off topic. And yeah, I initially had ALS ice bucket challenge in the title but the character limit got in my way!

#6 Edited by ToTheNines (788 posts) -

never liked these stupid fads, but Phil Spencer is a cool guy, also the cause is good.

#7 Posted by mbdoeden (192 posts) -

I dislike this stuff, but if it gets money to the right place I can't be too mad about it.

#8 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

That's sweet, I hope they all get on board. Good cause, get some laughs, everyone feels good. :D

Cynical me sees this as one more shovel Phil is using to dig MS out of the mile deep hole they are in but two birds one stone ain't so bad a thing. Phil does seem like a genuine dude after all.

#9 Edited by BisonHero (6823 posts) -

I wish there was a way to incorporate bros icing bros into the ice bucket challenge.

#10 Posted by 49th (2820 posts) -

Pretty sure the ice will instantly melt when it touches Reggie.

#11 Posted by pinner458 (823 posts) -

Very cool. I'd LOVE to see Gaben do it.

#12 Posted by Gaff (1849 posts) -
#13 Posted by Dalai (7057 posts) -

If Reggie doesn't utter "my body is ready" at any point during his dousing, I will be surprised.

Also who will be the ones to issue the challenge to Giant Bomb? This seems like something Drew would gladly do because he's Drew.

#14 Edited by Humanity (9874 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

That's sweet, I hope they all get on board. Good cause, get some laughs, everyone feels good. :D

Cynical me sees this as one more shovel Phil is using to dig MS out of the mile deep hole they are in but two birds one stone ain't so bad a thing. Phil does seem like a genuine dude after all.

I don't think they're in a "mile deep" hole and honestly these past few months Microsoft has been really on point - especially Phil. I think the level of clarity he provides is somewhat unprecedented. He's been clear about what they want to do and how they're going about doing it. I mean the man literally admitted, on the record, that they wanted Tomb Raider to be exclusive for XB1 this holiday season because they don't have a game as good as Uncharted yet. To have the head of Xbox admit that "hey that Uncharted game is great, and we've got some things cooking but they're not as good as Uncharted" is very refreshing in terms of honesty. It makes all the little jabs Sony takes at Microsoft seem kinda petty and silly.

EDIT: Also good on him for doing the challenge. When I saw Notch nominate him I rolled my eyes and thought no way. Phil Spencer is an alright guy.

#15 Posted by wonderva (101 posts) -
@humanity said:

@geraltitude said:

I don't think they're in a "mile deep" hole and honestly these past few months Microsoft has been really on point - especially Phil. I think the level of clarity he provides is somewhat unprecedented. He's been clear about what they want to do and how they're going about doing it. I mean the man literally admitted, on the record, that they wanted Tomb Raider to be exclusive for XB1 this holiday season because they don't have a game as good as Uncharted yet. To have the head of Xbox admit that "hey that Uncharted game is great, and we've got some things cooking but they're not as good as Uncharted" is very refreshing in terms of honesty. It makes all the little jabs Sony takes at Microsoft seem kinda petty and silly.

EDIT: Also good on him for doing the challenge. When I saw Notch nominate him I rolled my eyes and thought no way. Phil Spencer is an alright guy.

Yeah, I just thought Phil was a corporate guy until I saw his E3 panel bit with Giant Bomb, and he seemed like just a chill dude who likes video games

#16 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -
@humanity said:

Well, if you had asked me at the 180 moment, I would have said they are in a thousand mile deep hole, so, 1 mile ain't much at all.

All I mean is that MS is publicly still "on notice", or so it feels to me. Definitely they are not mass loved as Sony appears to be. That's all.

I agree they are on the up and up and all in all, as I mentioned previously, I always really liked Phil. He's a good guy.

#17 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@gaff said:

Well, that's one person?

So does that mean no video? ;_;

#18 Posted by Humanity (9874 posts) -

@geraltitude: At this point the general public skew against anything Microsoft feels very unwarranted, as is the seemingly unconditional love for Sony. I don't see the outrage at PS Now, which is quite frankly pretty terrible in terms of pricing and content offered. Not to mention that if you owned the discs there is no reason you shouldn't be able to simply verify your ownership and have it unlocked on the service. They are asking their fans to not even re-purchase all the games they already own for the PS3 simply so they can play them again on the PS4, but to rent them at pretty ridiculous prices. This ingenious system means each time some weak minded individual feels the need to replay an old favorite on their PS4 they'll rent it again and again, possibly exceeding the full price of the game at release.

#19 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

@humanity said:

@geraltitude: At this point the general public skew against anything Microsoft feels very unwarranted, as is the seemingly unconditional love for Sony. I don't see the outrage at PS Now, which is quite frankly pretty terrible in terms of pricing and content offered. Not to mention that if you owned the discs there is no reason you shouldn't be able to simply verify your ownership and have it unlocked on the service. They are asking their fans to not even re-purchase all the games they already own for the PS3 simply so they can play them again on the PS4, but to rent them at pretty ridiculous prices. This ingenious system means each time some weak minded individual feels the need to replay an old favorite on their PS4 they'll rent it again and again, possibly exceeding the full price of the game at release.

I agree with you in large part duder but - hey, don't really wanna get in to an MS/Sony public image battle in this thread about an ALS campaign. Like to keep things positive and awesome!

For the sake of clarity though, know that I'm not coming at it from a place of "deserved" or not. Simply put, right now - for whatever reasons (right, wrong, else) - MS is in a public image hole. I think they are on their way out, and I think Spencer is a big part of that reason.

#20 Posted by BurningHunter (59 posts) -

@gaff said:

Well, that's one person?

Probably not from Shu, but Shawn Layden and others from SCEA did a video. Layden also wears a Vib Ribbon shirt because, I assume, he wants to dig the knife deeper into our hearts.

#21 Posted by wonderva (101 posts) -

@gaff said:

Well, that's one person?

Yeah, seems like he didn't do a video, but he did donate which is great!

#22 Edited by mikey87144 (1811 posts) -

Apparently this raised a lot of money compared to years past.

#23 Edited by wonderva (101 posts) -
@mikey87144 said:

Apparently this raised a lot of money compared to years past.

Yup, some may call it stupid, but the whole dumping ice water on one's head sure did spread awareness for this foundation. Really sad that the guy who came up with the idea of the ice bucket challenge died from a diving accident this past weekend

#24 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

This is a really weird post I have to make right now, but such is the internet.

1. That Sony ice bucket video is hilarious. So many great high-fives.

2. ... what? the guy who organized this just died? That sucks man. Seems like he was a great person.

#25 Edited by mrcraggle (1974 posts) -

@wonderva: I've been hearing so much about this ice bucket challenge but I didn't hear about him dying. Some people are really against this (a lot of complaints about wasted water) but it's something that's really raised the awareness of ALS and how much has been donated.

#26 Posted by biospank (660 posts) -

I don't get it.

this this is a Motor neuron disease meaning that you can't really do allot about it. If scientist don't research the brain and spinal cord more, even then its unlikely to cure it.

#27 Edited by KaneRobot (1791 posts) -

...really no reason to be cynical. That's (part of) what Phil is there for, and he's doing a good job of it. Since he came on board he's been the most genuine of the company talking heads, which is a striking reversal from the dumbass they had representing them a year ago at this time.

#28 Edited by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@biospank: Research is exactly the thing a large portion of the money goes toward funding:

The ALS Association: What We Do

Established in 1985, The ALS Association is the only national non-profit organization fighting Lou Gehrig’s Disease on every front. By leading the way in global research, providing assistance for people with ALS through a nationwide network of chapters, coordinating multidisciplinary care through certified clinical care centers, and fostering government partnerships, The Association builds hope and enhances quality of life while aggressively searching for new treatments and a cure.

#29 Edited by PimblyCharles (1618 posts) -

I think this has been a really clever way to raise awareness and make some of the biggest names out there look like fools. Don't understand why the ice bucket was chosen to be associated with Lou Gehrig's Disease. If you really think about it, it's sort of demeaning to people that suffer from it.

#30 Posted by captain_max707 (499 posts) -
#31 Edited by PimblyCharles (1618 posts) -

@captain_max707: Possibly. Obviously it's for a good cause, and seems to be working to raise money and awareness for the disease. I have a family member that suffers from it that told me cold ice and shivering pales in comparison, and makes him feel a bit odd about this whole competition. Then again, he got a chuckle out of seeing Gates ice himself.

#32 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (779 posts) -

It's about time fads started to benefit society. Wish this was the case with that planking nonsense a few years back.

#33 Posted by Brendan (8027 posts) -
#34 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

...really no reason to be cynical. That's (part of) what Phil is there for, and he's doing a good job of it. Since he came on board he's been the most genuine of the company talking heads, which is a striking reversal from the dumbass they had representing them a year ago at this time.

not like, seriously cynical, just.. vaguely. Don't take me seriously is what I mean. I agree with you.

#35 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1216 posts) -

@biospank You need money to research whether this is curable or not. Some progress has been made to delay death, and through stem cell transplants even amelioration but ultimately I think it will stay uncurable. At the very least, you gather information through research that is in invaluable for other medical conditions also. You cannot research ALS without researching the neuron, the money goes to a good cause either way.

#36 Edited by mrfluke (5317 posts) -

this whole ice bucket challenge is probably one of my favorite internet things to happen in a while

shuhei also seemed to decline the challenge and just donated.

#37 Edited by Branthog (5595 posts) -

While this is all amusing to watch in the tech industry, it is awfully dumb. I don't entirely grasp the motivation behind it, though it seems very much "hey, look at me!". I mean, the idea is to do it or pay $100. And if you do it, then you call out other people who do it. Since everyone is doing it, they're not raising any money. Except, of course, they're all "donating the $100+ anyway". In which case, the ice-dunking is pointless.

This is only a small step above changing your twitter icon to fight the NSA or save Ukrain. Good on the people who have donated and chosen not to participate in the attention-whoring.

#38 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1203 posts) -

@branthog said:

While this is all amusing to watch in the tech industry, it is awfully dumb. I don't entirely grasp the motivation behind it, though it seems very much "hey, look at me!". I mean, the idea is to do it or pay $100. And if you do it, then you call out other people who do it. Since everyone is doing it, they're not raising any money. Except, of course, they're all "donating the $100+ anyway". In which case, the ice-dunking is pointless.

This is only a small step above changing your twitter icon to fight the NSA or save Ukrain. Good on the people who have donated and chosen not to participate in the attention-whoring.

The "attention-whoring" is getting eyes on the cause. It is dumb, but it's a light hearted way to bring attention to the fund raising. Without these videos, no one would care, or possibly even know, about Lou Gehrig's Disease. If people have to do silly things to get a decent cause noticed, then that is what has to happen. A lot of money has been raised, and that wouldn't have been accomplished without this gimmick. You have a terribly cynical outlook on this.

Think of it like a dunk tank at a carnival to raise funds for a local school. More people would donate money with the chance of putting someone in water than just putting cash in a donation box.

#39 Edited by wonderva (101 posts) -
@branthog said:

Except, of course, they're all "donating the $100+ anyway". In which case, the ice-dunking is pointless.

Which is what most celebrities/wealthy are doing.

So donating money to a cause + spreading awareness is pointless and dumb?

Think about it: Which gets more views/shares? A video of a celebrity saying that he/she donated money to the ALS foundation and challenges another to do it or a video of the celebrity dumping ice water on him/herself and donating to the foundation? And you can't say that the views and shares are pointless since the ALS foundation has raised millions (more than they ever have) in such a short time frame.

#40 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2169 posts) -

@branthog said:

Donations were up 200% a few days ago. Its not pointless.

#41 Edited by mrfluke (5317 posts) -

@branthog said:

no one would give a damm if it was just a simple donation drive, having this stupid/fun hook and getting huge names like zuckerberg and bill gates doing it and then challenging 3 other famous people gets people talking, gets news stories made, gets this thing trending across social media. and just straight gives it a life that this thing would probably never have and opens doors for this thing to earn serious money.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/18/ice-bucket-challenge-creator/14265219/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2014/08/18/ok-the-ice-bucket-challenge-worked-now-where-will-the-dollars-go/

its far from pointless, its pure genius, its excellent usage of social media for a good cause. (and also has the extra hook of humanizing these larger than life figures as well)

#42 Posted by jArmAhead (341 posts) -

@mbdoeden said:

I dislike this stuff, but if it gets money to the right place I can't be too mad about it.

Like, at best this should be something your opinion of is neutral. Who cares if people dump ice water on. Why would you dislike this in any way?

@branthog said:

Direct cause and effect, their donations skyrocketed. Everyone I know who did it, did it to spread the word. It's basically a pyramid scheme but instead of ripping people off it benefits charity in a pretty big way. The challenging part is the part that does good, because it spreads the word and increases the amount of people exposed to the idea of donating. If you can't donate (like me! currently between jobs, maybe I'll donate when I have money to support myself :p) then you can do the thing and get other people in on the action. Which helps the cause in a pretty clear way.

Just donating quietly might be more PC but it doesn't do as much good.

#43 Posted by Humanity (9874 posts) -

@geraltitude: I must have misunderstood what you meant as it seems we are in complete agreement here. I absolutely concur that Microsoft is perceived negatively by the public at the moment, and it's quite a strong sentiment to the point where everything they do is seen as underhanded or just plain bad.

So yah, no need to derail, once again good on Phil.

#44 Posted by TheHT (11686 posts) -

Oh, I'd heard about some ice bucket stuff and dismissed it as some, god, what was that thing where everyone just starts dancing. Oh right, the harlem shake crap. Goodness those were awful. Except for the Twin Peaks one. That one was alright.

Anywho, this seems like a fun way to raise awareness and get some donations, sure.

#45 Posted by dudeglove (8161 posts) -
#46 Posted by forteexe21 (456 posts) -

If they confuse Reggie with Fils-A-Mech, itll be trouble. I was hoping Shu to challenge Boyes who will then challenge Kessler and John Drake. :(

#47 Posted by EuanDewar (5094 posts) -

Props to them for getting in on this. Great cause, great use of social media.

#48 Posted by Jesus_Phish (1091 posts) -

@forteexe21: For an added bonus, they should replace the water in Kessler's bucket with pulped OJ.

#49 Posted by thefriend (158 posts) -

Great cause. Grand father passed away due to ALS. Fantastic to see people raising awareness.

All seriousness aside, I really hope Gabe respond to this challenge.

#50 Edited by Branthog (5595 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling said:

@branthog said:

The "attention-whoring" is getting eyes on the cause. It is dumb, but it's a light hearted way to bring attention to the fund raising. Without these videos, no one would care, or possibly even know, about Lou Gehrig's Disease. If people have to do silly things to get a decent cause noticed, then that is what has to happen. A lot of money has been raised, and that wouldn't have been accomplished without this gimmick. You have a terribly cynical outlook on this.

Think of it like a dunk tank at a carnival to raise funds for a local school. More people would donate money with the chance of putting someone in water than just putting cash in a donation box.

What you call cynicism, I call experience. This very "viral meme" is itself a demonstration of new social-medial-self-promotion-cynicism as is the "guffaw guffaw aw shucks, they're just people like me and this is awfully fun to watch the dunking -- oh and charity!" response across the internet. How much has actually been raised for ALS? How much awareness has been spread? I mean, seriously, who doesn't know about ALS? And who cares about it after this that didn't before? What they care is that "durp durp Zuckerberg got dunked and called out Gates and Paige hurf hurf".

I guess it's amusing to see a few CEOs and pundits doused with ice (really? ice?), but this is really trivially dumb in much the same way twitter icon activism is.

I'm all for charity and I'm all for good causes, but the trappings around this are just dumb (and I bet most people who have watched one or more "dunkings" still couldn't tell you what the charity was for).

And...the logic is still flawed. Donate OR get dunked. Everyone wants to see these people get dunked; not donate.

Sorry, I just hate gross social media bullshit and self-serving bullshit (which is what this campaign thrives on - the desire of the person doing it to be seen). I don't care that it's "for a good cause". A lot of things are for good causes and still fucking dumb and still being done by participants for dumb reasons.